12 string
Elite LX
Posted 2005-05-16 4:08 PM (#150715)
Subject: 12 string

I would like to get a 12 stringer but not sure I am ready to start messing with it since I have been playing for only 1 yr. 3 months.

If you were to get one how does the Applause rate for a beginner model to see if you would like a 12'er in addition to your 6'er?

:confused:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2005-05-16 4:36 PM (#150716 - in reply to #150715)
Subject: Re: 12 string

Personally, I think I'd look for a used Celebrity before an Applause.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-05-16 4:40 PM (#150717 - in reply to #150715)

I wouldn't get either one. You can find 12 string Balladeer's on ebay for $300. I'd get one of those in a heartbeat. Or a 1970's Pacemaker.

Always buy a better guitar than you are a player. That's how you become inspired to sit down and learn. Buy a crappy guitar and you'll never want to play it.
Waskel
Posted 2005-05-16 4:46 PM (#150718 - in reply to #150715)

You're right on, Paul. That's what I get for thinking from the bottom up.
cliff
Posted 2005-05-16 5:02 PM (#150719 - in reply to #150715)

Nothing's more frustrating (and is more of a hinderance) than trying to learn on on something that isn't SOMEWHAT "optimal".
I've got a Korean O'12 that I can play "decently" only because I'm somewhat of an experience 12-string player. I wouldn't recommend it to some to "learn" on.

I agree w/Mood.
For what you'd spend on a new K'rean O'12, you can get an old(er) used USA-model, and have a more substantial guitar (and encouraging learning experience).
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-05-16 5:13 PM (#150720 - in reply to #150715)

You know, I got lucky in that my first 12 string, before I really even knew how to play a 12 string, was Big Blue, my Adamas I. As a result of picking up such a great instrument, I have no doubt that I became a better 12 string player faster than I would have otherwise.

Not everybody is going to be as lucky as me, but get the best instrument you can afford. It makes a huge difference.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2005-05-16 9:35 PM (#150721 - in reply to #150715)

SOmeday I will have a 12 string...
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-05-17 6:05 AM (#150722 - in reply to #150715)

I sold my CL12string to willingheart06, but I reeeeeeely mis it. Was looking at that mint Pacemaker on the bay but missed it in the end...$330!!! What a missed opportunity. Oh, the pain. John <>{
Strummin12
Posted 2005-05-17 11:24 AM (#150723 - in reply to #150715)

Unfortunately many beginner guitars are more frustrating and difficult to play, even for a more advanced player-as Cliff said. It's a sad irony in the guitar world. Technology in the last few years has them being made a little better I suppose.

In my experience, it seems that a lot of newer players have the mindset that a beginner guitar is "ok for now" and simply might not sound as optimum as a more expensive guitar. Unfortunately, playability is often one of the main features that suffers most. Often the action is so high you can drive a bus under it, the intonation is a mess, and keeping it in tune is a challenge. In my book, those are major issues that make a guitar more or less functionally useless.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule-there always are. But, when I'm enlisted to help a friend buy a guitar, my thought is FIRST aim high on the quality list and THEN find a way to make it financially happen (rather than starting with the limit of funds first and having to think in limited choices), even if it means buying used, seeking out special financing, or waiting a bit and saving some more. Granted, not everyone has the $ means immediately at their disposal, it may take a litte time and some creativity, but the end result is usually worth it and pays for itself. In a beginner's case (when buying their first guitar), renting a better guitar for the first few months is often a wise choice to see if they like playing guitar, and start saving for their own in the meantime.

If you buy a cheaper made guitar, you will likely outgrow it fast or lose steam in motivation because you will set yourself up for limitation right out of the gate. Shortly, you will either quit out of frustration, or be looking to buy a better instrument anyway (more money spent). A better guitar does not have to be really expensive (especially with ebay around), you just need the patience to find the right deal and enough product and price knowledge to recognize that special deal when it falls in your lap. It's not hard, but IMHO well worth the effort. We live in a society with a very "have it now" factor. But, just because our ship hasn't come in just yet, doesn't mean we can't hang around the yacht docks, do the research, learn something, and do some serious planning.

I would really encourage you to consider getting a good quality 12 string if you're serious about having one. It's an extra 6 strings you want to have stay in tune when you play. Whatever your motivation for playing, it is likely that you want to sound your very best. No matter what hobby or profession you are involved in, having the right tools to do a good job is needed. Aim high.

My .02. I'm off the box now.
All the best.
Johnny
MWoody
Posted 2005-05-17 12:04 PM (#150724 - in reply to #150715)

Excellant Johnny!

Ovation makes the best feeling and most reliable 12 string necks, ever! an Applause or Celebrity will carry the same design and can be an excellant tool for quite a while.

I would value playability over sound since you can adjust sound.
Elite LX
Posted 2005-05-18 10:52 AM (#150725 - in reply to #150715)

Thanks guys...........trying to get a deal. One member has a 12'er forget the model but it is Korean made I think. Not that that would discourage me too much because he has a good price on it.

My dilemma< iz thyat howell u spyell thyat werd? Is that I may want to get my newly acquired Viper customized somewhat by the mothership! Decisions........decisions! What's a guy to do?

I need money of course...........which we all could use to do it right and have all I want. Biggest thing is after over a year of playing, one would think I am a pro with my fascination of wanting to acquire more guitars. Just wish I was that damn good! Maybe someday!