what classical strings should i use
dickeybird
Posted 2005-06-09 11:14 AM (#148182)
Subject: what classical strings should i use

just bought an ovation CC-153 to learn to play classical guitar. would appreciate advice on strings, and on quality of guitar. never owned an ovation, mostly play a martin d-18.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ChatMan
Posted 2005-06-09 11:20 AM (#148183 - in reply to #148182)
Subject: Re: what classical strings should i use

I'm pretty sure that if you do a search (see link above) on the word strings that you'll receive a plethora of string info.
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-06-09 12:33 PM (#148184 - in reply to #148182)

Try D'Addario EJ46 Hard Tension. They're a little heavier than the normal but if you play a steel string should be no problem. They have a fuller sound and last longer. Use tie end not ball ends. Enjoy. Nothing like the sound of a plugged in Nylon String. :cool:
schroeder
Posted 2005-06-09 5:03 PM (#148185 - in reply to #148182)

Nobody ever went wrong starting with D'Adds. If you are seriously studying classical (with a teacher) I would go with medium tension - they are more forgiving as you learn to play ina more precise and accurate manner. I know what G3 means about the hard tension - but if you start with mediums you'll pretty soon decide if you want a little more resistance from the string. If you do it the other way round you might start feeling a bit discouraged without really knowing why you are finding it difficult. D'Adds cheapest are fine to kick off with, it gets expensive to start experimenting.
When you are ready for a more advanced discussion on strings our own Professor Fred (mtnbikerfred) is a fountain of knowledge.

BTW - Fred (if you read this) did you know that Augustine strings are pretty much unavailable from the factory at the moment? My string supplier told me that old man Augustine had died and the heirs/heiresses are in a legal battle over the will. The inventors of the nylon string - very sad.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-06-10 12:23 AM (#148186 - in reply to #148182)

Wow!! I didn't know that. I'm sure they will work it out. A legacy like wont die. I've played them, but they're not my favorites. If I could get another classical cheap (for my wife), I'd probably keep mediums on it. GGG is right on about the sound. Schroder's right about starting out. I have an interesting take on tension in classicals; hard tension are actually easier to fret because they don't "bend" as much down to the finger board. With "thicker" (larger diameter), "softer" (lower tension) strings it will be easier to relax and play. On a classical, if you have "buzz" you don't just mash them down harder. that really screws up intonation. Good technique is crucial. I'm having to learn to be gentle (even on my U681). I would galdly trade being able to crush chords for two hours at a time for being able to fret "fast and clean" 30 minutes at a time.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-06-10 12:29 AM (#148187 - in reply to #148182)

Another classical cheap....?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33029&item=7...
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-06-15 7:57 AM (#148188 - in reply to #148182)

Wow! Wish I'd seen that one. You guys are right, playing a nylon string well you have to be a little more precise in your fingering. The rewards of the sound are worth it.