OT. Teach your children well..
schroeder
Posted 2005-06-14 4:39 PM (#147714)
Subject: OT. Teach your children well..

Tonight I attended a concert at my daughter's school. They performed Britten's one act opera "Noye's Fludde" (Noah's Flood based on medieval mystery plays). It was fantastic by any standard. My daughter was just a memeber of the orchestra (she's a freshman with another 6 years to go), but she was as high as a kite afterwards for having been part of it.

So next time they complain about practising - wave the big stick and make 'em. You guys know the joys of music - make sure you pass it on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-06-14 8:12 PM (#147715 - in reply to #147714)
Subject: Re: OT. Teach your children well..

My grandson and I take guitar lessons from the same teacher. Nothing like practicing together. He's only 8, but seems to be enjoying this experience in music as much as I am. :)

Schroeder, is your daughter in college? I'm sure she was very proud of herself, and I am sure you were proud of her. Nothing like seeing your children accomplish things in life. :)
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-06-14 10:13 PM (#147716 - in reply to #147714)

Originally posted by GrilledCheese:

Schroeder, is your daughter in college?
god, what I'd pay, to see the look on his face when he reads this.
schroeder
Posted 2005-06-15 4:46 AM (#147717 - in reply to #147714)

Cheese - no, she's 12 !

She's in her 1st year at secondary school. This puts her in Year 7 in our system, but I didn't think it would mean much to you guys. My stab at "freshman" didn't help ease the confusion either. We start counting at year 1 when they are still 4 years old, and I know you guys don't.
Two nations separated by an educational numbering system.....

I can't practise guitar with my son (he's 9) because he is way too good for me. He is studying classical/flamenco. Scary.

But it is a real pleasure to see them getting pleasure from music - and for both of them it is just a part of everyday life. We never had any music or instruments in the house as I grew up and so I was a late starter. With my kids it's just something they've always done and they are reaping the benefits already. Glad to hear your grandson is carrying on the family tradition.

There's a line in the liner notes of one of the Dixie Chicks 1st or 2nd CDs that says "Thanks mom and dad for turning off the TV and making us practise".

They appreciate it in the end. (I hope).
John B
Posted 2005-06-15 5:04 AM (#147718 - in reply to #147714)

My child is not due for another 5 months, but I've already got his or her 1st Ovation all ready to go. ;) The only thing that I plan on pushing my child to do is something other than hanging around and doing nothing like many kids that I know. I hope that he or she will be interested in music, but I will support any interest that they have. Of course, with my luck, it will be something that I know nothing about, but that's OK, I'll figure it out.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-06-15 5:29 AM (#147719 - in reply to #147714)

I've had guitars left out in plain site for years. Would you think that least one of my 3 boys would play? Nope. They can slide down a 100 foot handrail on rollerblades while changing their foot positions. They can roll up a ramp, be 20 ft in the air and land backwards. But will they pick up a guitar? Or read a book from my shelfs?
If they had picked up on one of my interests that would have been nice. I gotta say that I sure wish I could do some of the things they have become interested in.
Schroeder....I'm glad for your daughter. All kids need something of their own.
jasingram
Posted 2005-06-15 6:20 AM (#147720 - in reply to #147714)

It is very gratifying to see your child play music. My son (age 15) saved all last year to buy his Fender American Jazz Bass, and he plays every day. He's off at camp this week and will be playing with his band at the talent show. He's constantly finding tabs and learning new songs... it's inspiring to me!
shawn
Posted 2005-06-15 11:40 AM (#147721 - in reply to #147714)

my 3 year old girl knows all the names of the keys on the piano, (diatonic) and has had her guitar since her first birthday. I hold the chord
and she strums. I'm hoping she will find Music a worthwhile hobby.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-06-15 1:31 PM (#147722 - in reply to #147714)

It's tough to tell what gets them going. My oldest (just graduated summa cum laude from college) took piano with the Yamaha system and got lost, never liked it and dropped it. Our youngest always wanted to play because her older sister did and we got her in with a very motherly teacher. She loved it and plays so well the audience is wowed.
Now my oldest got a guitar and started lessons, although she never had any interest in mine. All of a sudden, the youngest wants to take guitar lessons. There's a lot of advantages to sibling rivalry.
BruDeV
Posted 2005-06-15 9:16 PM (#147723 - in reply to #147714)

GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-06-16 8:02 AM (#147724 - in reply to #147714)

Schroeder, it's good when children learn music. Your daughter is in what we call middle school here. :)

I was talking with my grandson the other day, and he asked me how many songs I knew how to play. I told him I knew 3 fairly well. He then tells me he knows 12, and I thought I was progressing good. Like they say the older you are the harder it is to learn. :D
Jimmy James
Posted 2005-06-16 7:30 PM (#147725 - in reply to #147714)

No kids of my own, but I'm a proud, proud Uncle.

My 9 yr old nephew got his first electric last January (Peavey T-15 with a custom 'off' switch in deference to his Mum).

I'd be thrilled if he (or any of my other neices and nephews) get even a fraction of the enjoyment I've got out of making a racket over the past twenty years.