Slightly OT, but maybe not
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-06-15 7:27 PM (#147583)
Subject: Slightly OT, but maybe not

Hi,

I just finished reading unpluggedthumb's post about that dreaded first ding in his guitar. I've been thinking about somethings and thought this was worth sharing.

I've been looking for a 12 fret slothead for a little while,( Can't afford the U681), I finally found a mint condition 1997 Collectors Edition on ebay I was the high bidder but did not meet the reserve. The seller emailed me and lowered the reserve, relisted as BIN. I knew it was coming so it was easy to grab. The seller lives about a hour away, so my wife & I took a drive and got the guitar. Was too tired to play it last night and since I was off today I was looking forward to enjoying my new prize today.

After I had some coffee and did a little Bible reading,(I really tried not to read too fast).
Within 15- 20 minutes I cracked 3 of the tuning Knobs. Talk about being bummed out. AFter a few posts and several emails I was on the way to having the problem solved. BUT I was still having a pity party and no one else would come. You guys know the feeling when one of your instruments has a problem.

I then read so of my other emails which I had passed over in my haste to solve the earth shattering problem and found out a member of my chuch who is a good friend is facing the possibility of double amputation above the knees.
A little over a week ago I lost another friend and a week ago sang at his funeral.

I know many of make your living with your instruments. My hat is off to you because it is not an easy vocation. The rest of play for the enjoyment.

Lets remember that our guitars although special to us are only objects which can be replaced.

I'm sorry to be so long winded,(ask orthopodtech he'll be glad to tell you), but felt we all,(especially me) need to be reminded of this from time to time. And if you have a spare minute, pray for my friend Charles. God Bless
Top of the page Bottom of the page
worshipleader
Posted 2005-06-15 8:16 PM (#147584 - in reply to #147583)
Subject: Re: Slightly OT, but maybe not

Mike - I know exactly where you are with the guitar and the not-so-gentle reminder of what our instruments really are. In your case and mine, they are tools (albeit lovely, beautiful ones) that God allows us to use to bring Him, ourselves and others great joy, and which help us to commune in a wonderful way with our Creator.

Over the last few years, He has shown me this about the tools that I love so much is some very real and impactful ways. It has been a great release for me to be able to view them that way. Oh, I still love running my fingers over the their beautiful, artistic curves and I still love the way they seem to come to life when I play and lead, but the realization that I have finally been able to embrace is that my guitars are really just wonderful, skillfully created tools that can easily (most times) be repaired or replaced if necessary.

So, I understand and empathize with where you are now, and I have prayed and will continue to pray for your friend Charles.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-06-15 8:37 PM (#147585 - in reply to #147583)
Subject: Re: Slightly OT, but maybe not

Mike,

Thank you for the reminder of the relative importance of things.....dings in musical instruments definitely pales to INSIGNIFICANCE when compared to what Charles faces. He will be in my prayers.

Roger