buzzing problems -- need advice
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-06-22 7:11 PM (#146618)
Subject: buzzing problems -- need advice

To date, I'm pleased with both my ovation and applause guitars. Lately, however, I'm noticing a buzz that I used not to hear before. The actions' are low, but it's not coming from the frets. The buzz is coming from the top, especially when I am strumming hard.

1) What seems to be causing this buzz?
2) Is it repairable? and approximately, how much will it cost me?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gil

p.s.
-- to any members who reside in the local area where I live, who would you recommend to have the guitars repaired?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2005-06-22 7:52 PM (#146619 - in reply to #146618)
Subject: Re: buzzing problems -- need advice

Are you sure you've sussed this thing out? Cause if it's the top causing the noise you gotta glue the crack back together. Check carefully as to what's loose. There's any number of things it could be. Once you find it, then you can fix it.
TWA
Posted 2005-06-22 8:34 PM (#146620 - in reply to #146618)

I remember from another thread someone was having a buzzing problem not associated with the frets. It was coming from the preamp box not fitting tight. Try removing the preamp and see if the buzzing stops. I think the solution was to wrap the box with
tape before reinstalling it.
Waskel
Posted 2005-06-23 9:27 AM (#146621 - in reply to #146618)

You might also check out the internal wiring. I've had several instances of a wire being in just the right place against the inside of the body to cause a buzz at certain frequencies.
willard
Posted 2005-06-23 10:33 AM (#146622 - in reply to #146618)

Check the washers on your strap-locks. I had to add some leather to stop the buzz.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-06-23 10:50 PM (#146623 - in reply to #146618)

I adjusted the necks and even put on new strings on them. It still buzzes when I strum it, and this time I'm sure that it's definitely coming from the top. The action got a bit uglier too after adjusting the truss rod :( . I think I'm going over to the shop where I bought the guitar to have it repaired.

Your advice are very much appreciated.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-06-23 11:07 PM (#146624 - in reply to #146618)

Have you taken all your prescribed meds?? I get that buzz when I forget...

If so, look to the can...make sure the battery is seated, run through the list of above suggestions again, take another dose of your meds and then,,,

go see the local luthier.

If you have changed string gage recently...and then changed the
neck adjustment there could be a problem there... Sounds like you have the factory specs, but if not...

...remove any beaded fringed sleeves.

I also have problems with woodpeckers in this part of the country.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-06-24 6:07 AM (#146625 - in reply to #146618)

I was a contractor for years...this reminds me of getting paid to find a leak in a roof. Have a helper sit up there with a hose running on the roof...go in the attic and sit...look around carefully...sit...two hours later come out...put $2 worth of roof cement on the leaky spot...get check for $200.
Stephen P
Posted 2005-06-24 11:13 AM (#146626 - in reply to #146618)

I have a buzz too...but it does it whether I'm playing or not playing. Mine goes away after a little bit...I think it's because my connector has some corrusion on it...
Callunna
Posted 2005-07-09 2:45 PM (#146627 - in reply to #146618)

Bought an Ovation Tangent last week and I love it to bits - but in the last few days it's developed a hideous whining buzz at the nut/first/second frets. The shop tried to fix it by adding a shim at the bridge, but it was just as bad as ever - though interestingly, not all the time.

I desperation I downloaded the manual from Ovation's website (wasn't included with the guitar) and found what may be the answer.

We've had some hot weather here in the north of England (yes, we do get sun occasionally :–) and the manual refers to humidity and and neck/headstock/fingerboard swelling etc. This may cause the sound I described.

The answer is to adjust the truss rod, but I'll have to send it back to the shop as I don't have the correct tool.

However, it's a bit worrying. If the guitar needs adjusting every time the humidity changes, it's going to be a mega problem. What if you go from a cold outdoors into a warm pub?

Has anyone any suggestions? I don't like the thought of altering the tension etc every time the atmosphere changes.
Stephen P
Posted 2005-07-09 8:38 PM (#146628 - in reply to #146618)

Maybe you could buy the tool and play around with it so you can find a medium setting that works well in all temperatures?

I've never played with my truss rod before though, so don't take my advice too seriously.
TexasDoc
Posted 2005-07-11 9:25 PM (#146629 - in reply to #146618)

Do you have a Celebrity? I bought a CK057 for my daughter. It has a buzz at the bridge. Strumming the E string would cause the buzz. Putting a finger on the bridge would stop it.

Took it to a local shop. They called someone (probably their Ovation distributor) who said this was common with Celebrity guitars due to their pickup design. They suggested putting a piece of paper beside the bridge (not between the bridge and the pickup) to help stop the vibration.

I didn't have the guts to do this. Since the guitar was still new, I took it back and got a replacement from the music store where I purchased it.