Jut bought an 05 Collectors
Corvairfan
Posted 2005-07-11 8:34 AM (#144731)
Subject: Jut bought an 05 Collectors

Well, talk about spontaneous purchases. I tried one at the tour and dug it and found 2 in stores this weekend. I didn't think I'd bite but I did.

I allready own a sweet Gibson that sounds amazing but does not feel right. This O does both so far.

The guy at GC gave me what I could guess was a great price so I bit and with the 30 days to compare to the Gibson..how could I not?. It wasn't 40% off like a Fender or a Gibson electric but still ok I guess.

I am still not a fan of gloss necks but every high end O has em now and gosh knows what a custom order oiled neck would be.

So, tone wise this is very articulate and very very loud. It has a good clear bass without the muddiness of a rosewood guitar. It is the closest Ovation tone wise to an all wood guitar with the LX's coming very close. IMHO of course.

The contour bowl is great and the main reason I bought this and the lack of it 7 months ago is why I didn't buy another Ovation. I got a belly.

My only concern is it is 1" fatter than a dread. My strumming hand sticks out farther from my body and hangs down shorter because of this extra inch. I only worry about arm fatigue but that is yet unknown. Interestingly sitting down it isn't an issue because you can angle the guitar for comfort. Sits great on the leg. It is a tad heavier than a dread but totally acceptable unlike my S771 which is an anchor. LOL.

There is not another guitar on the planet that feels as good as an O to play. It is effortless as usuall and that is what is missing on my Gibson or heck any other guitar I've played. I just love O's for playability and it really allows me to express myself.

Ovation has a winner and no doubt if more people played this guitar with a contoured bowl people would be buying O's in a hearbeat. Every complaint about them over the years is a dead issue.

Part of me wanted to wait to see if the contour was coming on a CL but a few hundred more for the addition of even more abalone.....tough call.

That's about it...I look forward to playing it more this week.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-07-11 8:47 AM (#144732 - in reply to #144731)
Subject: Re: Jut bought an 05 Collectors

Congrats on your new Ovation. I know you'll continue to enjoy the sound the the 05 puts out.
Phil Wong
Posted 2005-07-11 9:07 AM (#144733 - in reply to #144731)

Isn't it great that going to the factory gives you a case of GAS? :cool: :) Did you see the pictures that I took of you playing the grand prize Adamas? :rolleyes:
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-11 10:34 AM (#144734 - in reply to #144731)

Another conquest by the 2005-ES. I didn't intend to buy one, either.....but it's just THAT good.

Roger
meatpill
Posted 2005-07-11 10:57 AM (#144735 - in reply to #144731)

What internal design changes have been down to the bowl to make it sound? I mean you goth the thin (or so), medium and large bowl. The larger bowl being louder than the others.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-11 11:09 AM (#144736 - in reply to #144731)

The bowl is just one small part of it. I don't think the contour bowl itself makes it sound any different or better than a deep LX bowl. It's just more comfortable to play. The englesman spruce top and scalloped bracing have a lot to do with the 05's great sound. Not sure what kind of a bracing pattern it has, but it sounds great. Dave
Jim D
Posted 2005-07-11 12:18 PM (#144737 - in reply to #144731)

I have an '05 Collector. Just love the sound comming from this instrument. Glad you picked one up!

I also like a non-gloss neck, but find myself getting used to it on the Collector and my LX 12-string.
tahitijack
Posted 2005-07-11 2:37 PM (#144738 - in reply to #144731)

I intended to buy my first Ovation, a LX Baladeer, a couple of weeks ago, but could not resist the '05 Collector. It sounds great unplugged but when I played it through my SWR California Blonde........WOW! From one new owner to another...Welcome Home!