Recording Direct
Tommy M.
Posted 2005-07-16 9:03 PM (#143813)
Subject: Recording Direct

I do a lot of recording at home on Fostex 16 track and Cuebase. I've heard that for acoustic guitar,condenser mics work best. Lately, I had done some tracks using my Ovations, plugged directly into the deck, and had great sound success, especially with lead work, steel string and nylon. I credit the "plug it in" quality of O's. True, you don't get the crisp strum sound, but for lead work, the O's piezo pickup, ring true, especially above the 5th fret.
Tommy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2005-07-17 4:53 PM (#143814 - in reply to #143813)
Subject: Re: Recording Direct

Ovations are unique in that way. The onboard pre-amp does a really nice job, and if you want to hear amazing... COMBINE it with a couple of good mic's.
Waskel
Posted 2005-07-18 10:19 AM (#143815 - in reply to #143813)

That's what I like to do. Send the p/u to one track, and mic it from 1 or 2 different positions at the same time to separate tracks.
Mix and blend to taste.
Northcountry
Posted 2005-07-18 10:41 AM (#143816 - in reply to #143813)

I am still pretty well behind the rest of you guy's with the electronics but I have been experimenting with my sound lately.
I am finding my O sounds just fantastic with a mic pointed at the bridge area, from about two feet away, and at the same time the mixed sound from a mic on my amp behind me. Blend this through the PA and you come up with a fantastic "professional" sound.
I am sure this is common knowledge to most of you guy's but I am learning everything from scratch here in my music room.

It's becoming as much fun as learning the songs!

I have to admit though I sure do wish I had some experience like Miles and a few more like him.
This new learning curve does take up a lot of time!

Randy