Recording an Ovation...
tragocaster
Posted 2005-07-22 3:57 PM (#143033)
Subject: Recording an Ovation...

I've just finished a home recording project that turned out much nicer than I'd expected. Most of my home recordings have featured electrics - mostly Telecasters. My limited experience with recording acoustic guitars has mostly been simply plugging my Ovie (MIK CS257) in direct. That's a good tone, but it is the stereotypical Ovation tone, with that glassy top end. It's impossible to dial it out when going for a more traditional acoustic tone.

Yesterday, while my kids were out playing, I set up a mic aimed at about the 13th or 14th fret, with the mic angled slightly towards the bridge end. I then proceeded to record with both the pickup and the mic, blending the two together during the mixing process. The pickup was going into a V-Amp 2 processor with a bit of compression and reverb. The mic was totally dry.

What a difference!!!

Firstly, I noticed that the miked track sounded very much like a Dobro (super shallow bowl), which was kind of a pleasant surprise. The two sounds blended together yielded a much improved natural tone, that didn't sound as ice picky on the top end.

When I finish with this project I'll have to post an mp3 for all to hear.

Cheers to all!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-07-22 4:39 PM (#143034 - in reply to #143033)
Subject: Re: Recording an Ovation...

Great story. It's been discussed here in a previous thread or two. I've always thought that combining a pick-up signal and a mic signal produces an awesome effect. Always knocked my socks off, especially when recording an Ovation. I'm glad your session turned out well.Can't wait to hear it.
schroeder
Posted 2005-07-22 5:47 PM (#143035 - in reply to #143033)

I'm about to get into home recording - this is helpful stuff.I was thinking of running the guitar into a splitter and then putting one line direct into the board and the other through a high end Yamaha mic modeller (I really can't guarantee no background noise if I mike it).
Thoughts?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-22 7:25 PM (#143036 - in reply to #143033)

I'd still mic it and run that into the board, while running the p/u thru the Yamaha gizmo. Ambiant noise is not a bad thing.....
E.Sherman
Posted 2005-07-22 10:02 PM (#143037 - in reply to #143033)

What kind of mic did you use?
tragocaster
Posted 2005-07-22 11:13 PM (#143038 - in reply to #143033)

Originally posted by E.Sherman:
What kind of mic did you use?
I was afraid someone would ask that!

All I have around here right now are these cheapo Audio-Technica PR99's which are similar to an SM58. They sound pretty good for a $40 mic, and arguably as good as a 58. Not a good choice for acoustic instrument miking, but blended well with the preamp/pickup track.