How much for repair at the home office?
TexasDoc
Posted 2005-07-23 10:50 PM (#142994)
Subject: How much for repair at the home office?

Just picked up a nice 1681-5 from StandingO. Was wondering if anyone has a guess at how much to get it overhauled by Ovation? Specifically, I would like a new fretboard/fingerboard. The neck is straight, but it has moderate fret wear and the fretboard is slightly stained from finger oils/sweat/etc from frets 2-14.

The fretboard appears to be pulling away from the body. I understand that it is a floating fingerboard, but right where the neck attaches to the body, the board is very close to the top. However, up near fret 22 it is at least 2 to 3 mm away from the body. I can see some dried glue under there too.

Also, the trim around the body has chips in some places. Maybe just a new paint job on the trim.

The electronics are going out, I think. I had it plugged in (relatively new cord) and there was lots of static. Maybe something is loose inside. I looked with a flashlight, but couldn't see anything. This is the guitar that had a missing plug (the stereo plug was gone). The wires inside appear to have been spliced at one time; no free wire ends that went to the stereo plug originally. Anyone have a schematic for the two-knobber setup?

Anyway, anybody have a ballpark idea on how much this makeover would be from the factory?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-24 6:58 AM (#142995 - in reply to #142994)
Subject: Re: How much for repair at the home office?

That is quite a list of needs.
With all that work, I don't think you'll get a dependable estimate here. I don't think that even Ovation could give you a accurate price without looking at it. I would suggest that you just send it to Kim for inspection. I know there will be shipping charges but it's the only way to know for sure.
As they say... In for a penny, in for a pound.
TexasDoc
Posted 2005-07-24 10:22 AM (#142996 - in reply to #142994)

Yeah, I know this is a long list. Let me say that NONE of this is necessary. The guitar plays beautifully.

It is just that hanging on the wall next to my new C778LX, it kinda looks like the forgotten step-child. I would like to update it a little. Give it a little polish & TLC.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-24 10:32 AM (#142997 - in reply to #142994)

Most of the stuff on your list is normal wear & tear, or the way the guitar was designed. The fretboard is supposed to be the way it is, away from the body (the glue underneath isn't normal, but how often are you going to look at it while playing?). The stain on the fretboard just says that the guitar has been played. And I wouldn't mess with the frets until there's a sound problem due to them.

As to the static, I'd bet that's a jack problem. Probably cost about $30 to have a new one put in.

Sounds like you've got a great guitar with a bit of life on and in it. Get the jack fixed, leave the rest alone, and play the hell out of it. Put some marks on it yourself. All that means is that it's not a trophy guitar.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-24 2:53 PM (#142998 - in reply to #142994)

Tom,

Re: Static, check the jack. Was working fine just before shipping, something may have come loose. Also the battery is not new, I doubt this would cause static but probably worth putting a new one in anyway.

Re: Paint chipped on binding, here's a secret. Go to the hobby shop and buy a 99 cent little bottle of Testors model paint, color number 1140 Brown. I've had to touch up the binding on a few of mine as well.

Re: glue under fretboard, this is normal and all fretboards are glued to one extent or another. None are 100% "floating" because the sucker would warp up like crazy in climate changes and cause fret buzz. Some have just a tad of glue which is impossible to see, other's (like my 1537) the glue is almost oozing out the sides. Not much you can do about it.

Re: frets and fretboard, the walnut does get dark and look dirty over time, but unless the frets are really worn beyond what you normally use I would not screw with it. My recollection is that it's pretty good unless maybe you're touring 7 days a week or something. I had one completely redone and it cost $300. or something like that. You can clean it with fine steel wool, there was a thread about this not too long ago.

Let me know how it works out.

Dave
TexasDoc
Posted 2005-07-24 7:03 PM (#142999 - in reply to #142994)

Great ideas. I'll work on them and let you know.