Matrix info
Frets
Posted 2005-07-28 8:29 AM (#142487)
Subject: Matrix info

Here are some pictures of the Ovation Matrix I picked up. I haven't seen this exact model number written about anywhere. 1637. Incidentally, my tech friend got an Ovation model 1639. His has Ovation on the headstock and doesn't mention Matrix. Are they related?

The fretboard on mine appears to be made of wood. Does that mean it can be re-fretted if it needed it. What I'm reading seems to indicate not but I'm not sure why not.

That's my youngest son James doing the honors. ;)

Thanks
Frets
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Frets
Posted 2005-07-28 8:31 AM (#142488 - in reply to #142487)
Subject: Re: Matrix info

BTW. It's also electric but has no volume or tone controls. Passive.

Frets
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-28 9:36 AM (#142489 - in reply to #142487)

My 76 says Ovation on the headstock and has the aluminum fretboard. Don't know if yours is older or newer. Look on the Ovation website under discontinued models. There is also a spread sheet on the website of the original cost of all the models. That seems to be a more inclusive list of all the model numbers produced.
Frets
Posted 2005-07-28 2:36 PM (#142490 - in reply to #142487)

Hey all. I got a quick response to my questions from Kaman.

We had to dig pretty far in the archives for info on this one!

The serial number indicates the guitar was built in 1980 when it retailed for $375.00 USD.

The Matrix specs include a laminated spruce top and walnut bridge. The neck most likely has a die-cast aluminum core that combines fingerboard, frets, peghead and support brace in one assembly making it immune to changes in temperature and humidity that can warp a wooden neck. A high density molding compound called Urelite which testing has shown to have a greater surface hardness than mahogany, surrounds the aluminum core.

There were some of this model produced with a wooden neck as well.

The model 1737 is the same as the 1637 except it has a different preamp. It can be found at:

http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=1290

Frets