Entry Level Home Recorders
Alaskan Fly Guy
Posted 2005-08-04 10:25 AM (#141612)
Subject: Entry Level Home Recorders

I had my first real guitar lesson yesterday that went great. I really liked the instructor. He had a small 4 track recorder in his studio that he used to reord the lesson and gave me the tape at the end of the lesson to use to practice with through the week if needed. Anyway I like the idea of recording myself once in a while to track improvments. I am looking at some very simple and inexpensive units like the KORG CR4 and the TASCAM Porta 02 MKII Porastudio. Does anyone have experience with either of these units or any other similar ones?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-04 10:36 AM (#141613 - in reply to #141612)
Subject: Re: Entry Level Home Recorders

You've got an awful lot of nice guitars for someone just starting to take lessons...

The Tascam looks similar to the Fostex 4 track cassette I bought a few years back (just before the digitals became affordable!). They're pretty easy to use, and once you learn some tricks they're surprisingly powerful. For what you want to do it should work fine.

I haven't used mine much since I started using my PC for recording, but occasionally I go back to it for that warm saturated sound you can only get with tape.
Alaskan Fly Guy
Posted 2005-08-04 10:52 AM (#141614 - in reply to #141612)

Yea, I figure it's time I really learned how to play the guitar, instead of just playing at it!
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-04 11:01 AM (#141615 - in reply to #141612)

I have a Korg.
Sometimes I think that even Mr. Spock would have a hard time figuring it out.
If I use it often, it's not so bad. But if I don't touch it for a month I have to re-learn some things.
BTW, AFG....I'm counting on you for a very special picture for the calender!
cruster
Posted 2005-08-04 11:08 AM (#141616 - in reply to #141612)

I have a Tascam PocketStudio5, which is digital, no tape. They've been recently discontinued, so perhaps you could find one for cheap. Works great, has a built-in tone generator for MIDI backing tracks. The built-in effects are questionable, but overall it's a great little unit. At one time I put up a link to an MP3 I made with it if you want to know what it sounds like (just disregard the cheesy guitar playing).
cliff
Posted 2005-08-04 11:14 AM (#141617 - in reply to #141612)

The only caveat with the Tascam (tape unit) is that they record at DOUBLE speed and it records across the entire width of the tape (there's no SideA/B), so if you want to be able to "playback" on something OTHER than the Tascam, you'll have to "dub" it to another device.

If the ability to record "multitrack" is not high on your priority list, y'might wanna just consider a plain-old home "cassette deck" component with 1/4" input jacks. You could plug the guitar directly into "L" and a good mic into "R".

About as "basic" as you can get . . .
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-08-04 11:28 AM (#141618 - in reply to #141612)

AFG,
Here's a thought for you.
Check out The TASCAM DP-01FX Digital 8-Track Portastudio.
It's $499 at Musiciansfriend fully digital and works just like the tape portastudios. and because it's a Tascam. i'll bet it'll be pretty easy to use. It also has some built in fx(reverbs and such)
check it out here
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/24...
Alaskan Fly Guy
Posted 2005-08-04 11:32 AM (#141619 - in reply to #141612)

On these Tascam units, you can plug them into an amp for playback through the tascam unit of all 4 tracks can't you? (Since you don't get all 4 tracks on a "regular" tape player in playback mode) The KORG has internal speakers but the Tascam does not. Obviously I know nothing about these...
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-08-04 11:37 AM (#141620 - in reply to #141612)

None of the digital tascams or the cassette tascams have internal speakers , so you'd need to hook it up to hear your playback, or listen through headphones.