OT: A new arrangment
cruster
Posted 2005-08-21 9:55 PM (#139842)
Subject: OT: A new arrangment

Last time I posted a link to one of my mp3s, I got some decent feedback. Hope nobody minds if I intrude with my current one. No more Cajun/Zydeco, though. Sorry. :)

http://www.shermonster.org/mp3s/BasicBossa.mp3

I also put an item up on my blog with a bit of background on the track. You can read it if you want, but it certainly isn't necessary (except maybe the part about please ignore my mistakes, choked notes, etc.).

I recorded this with my Steinberger (man, I love this thing) GP. But, to keep this on topic, after reading the recent thread here that suggested the shallow body Elites can be made to sound ES-335ish, though, I'm planning on plugging that in, too. When I get some more free time, I'll track it through the same GNX4 patch I did this one with, as well as 'dry' just to see how it comes out.

Pardon the intrusion...Al/Miles, you can delete this if it's not appropriate. No throwing vegetables, please. =)

Peace.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2005-08-21 10:51 PM (#139843 - in reply to #139842)
Subject: Re: OT: A new arrangment

Nice work cruster.

Tried to access the "my blog" but it said it was a bad link. What amp, software, etc., did you use?
MWoody
Posted 2005-08-21 10:57 PM (#139844 - in reply to #139842)

Good job Crusty! It is very on topic to post a link to your musical creations. When we get the Pop-up to Buy it now - you've gone too far!
cruster
Posted 2005-08-22 6:37 AM (#139845 - in reply to #139842)

Thanks for the kind words. I fixed the 'my blog' link...forgot the 'r' in 'org' so that should work now. No worries about 'buy it now,' Woody...at least not until I learn how to really play these guitars. ;)

T28, that track was done with a Steinberger GP7S (actually a GP2S which was modified by a previous owner) running into a GNX4. In the GNX4, I was using the basic 'clean tube' amp model with the EQ enabled and set for a bit of bass and treble defeat. Cab sim was a 'jazz 1x15' with the tuning turned up three semitones. Added a bit of chorus and some 'club' delay (although both of those levels were below 15 and the mix was mostly dry). Then the signal went via USB audio to Sonar 3 Producer Edition (way overkill for what I do). I tracked it in stereo with it panned ever so slightly left (as you're listening), because I don't find perfectly centered audio to be very pleasing (but that's just me). I threw the sonitus:fx Compressor on the master bus with the 'complete mix' preset selected (IIRC the name correctly). From there I mixed it down into mp3 audio and put it up on the web. :)

I'm really eager to get the 1868 plugged in and see if it really will sound like a 335. I'm sure I can tweak the daylights out of the GNX4 to *make* it sound like anything, but I'm really curious how it'll sound with minimal processing (as well as dry). Thanks again for the kind words!
Designzilla
Posted 2005-08-22 7:51 AM (#139846 - in reply to #139842)

Very nice! Love that Bossa vibe.