ebay buyers beware
johbren
Posted 2005-08-27 5:43 PM (#139092)
Subject: ebay buyers beware

I just recieved my 2001 tacoma koa jumbo by fedex the box was in ok shape the case was ok but when I got ther guitar out the head stock was snapped off well the driver said it must have been packed that way cause there isnt any damage to the box or case. well I took it to my luthier and he can fix it like new for around 200 dollars he says he gets them all the time like that he says the carriers toss stuff around and it snaps the heads he has a martin right now and the same thing happened even though there is no visable damage to the box. Well if that wasnt bad enough the guy advertised it as a 2001 model and when I checked the serial number it is a 1998 he wont return my phone calls or email I have filed claims with fedex and complained to ebay but so far nothing so all I can do is let people know that there are unscrouplous guess I spelled that right people on ebay :mad:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-27 6:11 PM (#139093 - in reply to #139092)
Subject: Re: ebay buyers beware

Sorry about the broken heart..oh..I mean neck.
There must be a huge percentage of successful sales to off-set all the horror stories I hear. I have not done much e-bay. When I do I know that at least one half of the deal is honest. I just hope the other half is also. Then if you throw in "mysterious shipping damages", things get really weird.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-27 6:23 PM (#139094 - in reply to #139092)

Just a suggestion. Document eveything you can with pictures of the box, packing material, case, guitar, and the guitar in the case.
Wether your claim gets satisfied by Fed-Ex or E-bay, pictures will help prove your point.
worshipleader
Posted 2005-08-27 7:05 PM (#139095 - in reply to #139092)

I've never had a problem shipping in a O case, in a guitar box with lots of stuffing around the case inside of the box. I must have bought and sold a dozen guitars on ebay.
dmkozak
Posted 2005-08-27 7:10 PM (#139096 - in reply to #139092)

With all due respect, this may have been a transaction involving two inexperienced ebayers. It appears to have been your first transaction, and his third sale (with one of his two prior sales having been an amp). So, neither one of you may have had much experience in properly packing a guitar for shipping.

I can guess that the strings may not have been loosened (very important with an acoustic), and the headstock was not wrapped with bubblewrap. The bubblewrap keeps the headstock from slamming into the top of the case, and breaking. There's a few other tricks of the trade that a good search will disclose.

I am fortunate to have had Paul Blanchard show me the "proper" way to pack a guitar. I explained the procedure, in detail, to the person who sold me a Tele. Even tho he worked in a guitar store, he really didn't understand how to properly pack a guitar. I worried while mine was in transit (especially because UPS let is sit in their warehouse for two days before sending it), but it arrived very well packed and in perfect condition.

I always discuss packing before final payment. I explain the burden is on the shipper. If UPS/FedEx denies coverage, it will be because they say the item was not properly packed, and the shipper is the one who must make the claim. So, everything begins and ends with the shipper. If that scares the seller, and I get the feeling the seller is out of his league with this sale, then I back off and let somebody else take the chance.

Sorry this happened to you, but the "fault" isn't eBay's. Rather, your seller probably didn't know the intracacies of careful guitar packing, and you really weren't able to help him. (This doesn't explain the seller's refusal to communicate with you. He's either scared or less than honest.)

If we don't have any guitar packing "treatises" as part of this forum, then maybe the more experienced people can start one and we can all add to it. (As both buyers and sellers, this should benefit all of us.)

Hope this works out for you. (Remember if FedEx says the guitar was not properly packed, then the seller should refund the sales proceeds. Not know that wrapping the headstock in bubblewrap should be the seller's fault. He should have taken steps to educate himself before packing the guitar. Otherwise, the guitar was properly packed, and FedEx will pay the claim.)
johbren
Posted 2005-08-27 8:19 PM (#139097 - in reply to #139092)

you are right it was my first ebay purchase and my last I knew about detuning the strings but aparently he did not I dont blame ebay but he also misrepresented the guitar by saying it was an 01 when it is really an 1998 year he didnot put anything around the head stock to protect it he just put it in the case and had I been the one selling it I would have probably done the same thing I know many people buy stuff on ebay and come out smelling like a rose but buyer beware these things happen it could have been much worse than it was when its all said and done ill have a nice guitar with a little to much money in it but oh well. Ill say one thing had that been my old ovation balladeer I bet it wouldnt have hurt it at all I went to hang mine up on a wall hanger once in a state of intoxication and missed the hook and it fell to the floor on carpet covered concrete with no pad under it and it just bounced and didnt even put a mark on it later johbren
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2005-08-28 6:23 AM (#139098 - in reply to #139092)

I think there are several threads discussing packing in the archives which a search would turn up.

The problem with headstock cracks in shipping is that they are usually caused by a 'whiplash' effect that has to do with the carton being slammed or dropped. No external damage to the carton is likely to have occured if it landed flat. I could write a lot more, but suffice it to say that I have plenty of experience dealing with FedEx, UPS, etc., on this particular matter. Their experienced claims handlers are aware of this phendomenon but as loss prevention employees, are very disinclined to pay a claim because it is so difficult to prove the guitar was damaged in their possession.

My techiques of packing to which dmkozak refers are the fruit of years of shipping guitars around the world and learning some lessons the hard way.

I hope this situation turns out well.
GN-Nick
Posted 2005-08-28 8:40 AM (#139099 - in reply to #139092)

How did you pay?

File a claim with the shipping company anyway.
stephent28
Posted 2005-08-28 8:57 AM (#139100 - in reply to #139092)

I recently received an Adamas that had apparently been dropped from a fair height, landing on the headstock and causing damage. Currently at the mothership getting a $400 repair.

Of course, the seller claimed it was perfect when it was shipped and did not think it necessary to insure it.

Still, even with the repair, I will have a good deal, but not the GREAT deal I have before.
Abendicum
Posted 2005-08-28 9:19 AM (#139101 - in reply to #139092)

As I am about to ship my 1118 Glen Cambell to a fellow OFC'er, I like the timeing of the discussion about shipping guitars...

I Searched » The Vault » for guitar shipping instructions: I would use bubblewrap INSIDE the case and newspaper OUTSIDE the case... I'll go down to my friendly guitar store and scare up a cardboard box...

Author Topic: guitar shipping question
Legend-LX-Fan
Member # 796
posted May 09, 2003 02:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello everyone. When shipping an acoustic guitar, should I tune the guitar down, are is it ok to leave it at standard pitch? I would think that if it is gets rough treatment during shipping, that the strings could reall pull on the neck. What do you guys think?....Paul Hebert

--------------------
Paul D.Hebert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 1147 | From: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged |

cliff
Member # 116

posted May 09, 2003 03:54 PM
By ALL means loosen the strings!!

--------------------
www.TwoManGroup.net
". . Free Katie Holmes! . . ."

Posts: 5060 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged |

Christian
Member # 1343

posted May 09, 2003 03:56 PM
I have heard that you should tune down/loosen the strings during flight! Just what I have heard

--------------------
Best regards

Christian

www.christianbroendum.dk

Posts: 15 | From: Denmark | Registered: Apr 2003 | IP: Logged |

Mr. Ovation
Administrator
Member # 2

posted May 09, 2003 04:26 PM
It'e best to tune down. Changes in temp and presure can cause undo stress on the neck and top. Having said that, Ovations I think are the sturdiest, but no need to take chances. I used to forget to de-tume mine all the time when I was traveling, and I knew it was in de-compressed cargo space on military aircraft.... I'd get to the other end, open the case... and the damn thing would still be in tune... I wouldn't loosen the string all the way either... Just detune several steps but leave a little tension.

--------------------
Miles
www.baronaudio.com
www.paramourmuse.com

Posts: 2441 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged |

alpep
Administrator
Member # 4

posted May 09, 2003 05:45 PM
Ovation ships their new guitars tuned to pitch. I have NEVER (knock on wood) had a guitar come to me or shipped from me broken.
I detune the stings and make sure there is not movement inside the case stuffing it with newspapers.
I sometimes wrap the case in bubble wrap but always try to add an additional thickness of cardbaord on both sides so that the guitar case will not get damaged if the first layer is penetrated. If I do not have the original cardbaord packing from the box I will fill it with newspaper styrofoam or whatever I have to take up the slack. the case should NOT move in the box at all.
Once Kim Keller told me that of all the guitars they get in the service center there has never been one damaged that was packed in crumpled newspaper.

Ab
Designzilla
Posted 2005-08-28 9:30 AM (#139102 - in reply to #139092)

Ab, Very glad to see your post! Thanks!
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-08-28 9:36 AM (#139103 - in reply to #139092)

As I read this I realize again how lucky I was to get the FD14 in one piece, shipped inside the box naked...no case!!!

I hope you get things straightened out...

I'm now going to email the fella I just bought the Lowden from and make sure he knows how to ship a guitar
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-28 11:02 AM (#139104 - in reply to #139092)

Give him those instructions Lowden-clear Jeff!!!
BTW...when will you be sending the Lowden on tour?