6774 sent back to Maryland
tomato
Posted 2005-09-02 1:04 AM (#138559)
Subject: 6774 sent back to Maryland

Got the 6774 today from Boe's Strings in Maryland.
I sent it back. My wife noticed the belly at the bridge from across the room. It wasn't so much that the belly was big, but more that the top almost seem to have a crease in the wood behind the lower part of the bridge where the belly started. Kinda hard to explain, as you can tell that I am struggling to explain it! But I was not comfortable with it. It also had a dip in the top at the soundhole where the lower end of the neck (the high E string side) meets the soundhole. Seemed like the bridge was pulling the top up and the neck was pushing the top down.
I called the store and he told me that it was fine; that all guitars have a belly. In fact, he told me that bellies were good because it meant that the top was absorbing the stresses inherent in the instrument. Anyway, he may have been being honest. My intent is not to impune the reputation of Boe's Strings. He is taking it back as per our agreement before I purchased it. I simply was not comfortable with it. The action was O.K. in the opinion of someone who would have preferred it to be lower, and I thought that it played tight. I also have no doubt that I may be unfairly comparing it to my 1114 which I love. I have no doubt that he will relist it for sale, but I felt beholden to offer my report to this forum that was so helpful to me in locating the guitar.
So I sit and happily strum my 1114 (sans the belly) knowing that there is a 6774 out there for me somewhere, someday. Sigh.................
Comments are welcome, as I will admit to being a bit finicky and somewhat of a pill about such things. I will also admit to not being real knowledgeble about guitar construction. Someone else may love the guitar. But to me it is more about the subjective than the objective. My relationships with guitars have always been about love at first sight ( first play) not about long term dating and getting to know each other.

-------------------

tom

6774 for a brief moment
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-09-02 7:03 AM (#138560 - in reply to #138559)
Subject: Re: 6774 sent back to Maryland

unsightly bulges...not good.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-09-02 7:09 AM (#138561 - in reply to #138559)
Subject: Re: 6774 sent back to Maryland

It all boils down to this:
Tops very flat.
Backs very round.

You were right to sent it back.
This was a used instrument, right?