Legend arrived today!
tragocaster
Posted 2005-09-03 3:53 PM (#138448)
Subject: Legend arrived today!

It's an 1117, serial # 259056 that I got from ebay for $300. It's a bit rough though. One wing on the headstock had been broken off, and they tried to re-glue an ill shaped piece of wood on there, but it doesn't look right at all. It doesn't affect the tone or playability though.

There are cracks in the neck binding, and a slight warp at the heel of the neck, where the fingerboard joins the body. At about the 10th fret, an extreme string bend on the little E string will fret out badly.

There are lots of finish cracks, and a big gouge on the front, around the bridge area. I think the wood is fine though, and I haven't noticed any rattles, or vibrations when rapping on the top.

I'll let y'all know more as it develops.

Sounds BEAUTIMUS by the way!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-09-03 4:28 PM (#138449 - in reply to #138448)
Subject: Re: Legend arrived today!

Does it sound good when you close your eyes and play?
tragocaster
Posted 2005-09-03 8:06 PM (#138450 - in reply to #138448)
Subject: Re: Legend arrived today!

Originally posted by bauerhillboy:
Does it sound good when you close your eyes and play?
Exactly! And it does indeed! But there's room for improvement. The strings are new, but way too light. The high E feels like a .10, and I'm more used to a .12 or .13. I'm gonna string 'er up here in a few minutes.

I've noticed some fretting out on the upper frets with the high E and B strings. Here's hoping that switching to heavier strings will cure that problem.

I'll report back.