A little experimentin' and a pickup report
tragocaster
Posted 2005-09-09 10:55 AM (#137936)
Subject: A little experimentin' and a pickup report

Yesterday I bought a Dean Markley ProMag Grand soundhole PU for my new Ovies. I know it's not a great choice, but it was the only thing in stock that would fit in the soundhole. It works fine, and sounds tolerable. I got a feeling that I still may resort to the Celebrity for most of the live playing though.

This morning I did a little A/B comparison with my 8 track and the Matrix and Legend. As I'd mentioned elsewhere, the Matrix just wants to be miked between the sound hole and bridge, where it's really awkward for the picking hand - but that's where it sounded best. That technique absolutely will NOT work for the Legend. For recording it, I used my tried and true, mic aimed at about the 14th fret and tilted ever so slightly towards the soundhole method. Wowee! Does that ever sound great! I can't wait to record some actual tunes with this guitar!

The Matrix is quite capable of getting that legendary "plasticky" sound that Ovations are usually accused of. With the channel EQ, it can be fine tuned, but there's always a weird upper mid hump going on, and lack of bass (compared to the Legend, but it's still fine IMO). I may find the Matrix preferable for fingerpicking ragtime tunes, while the Legend would be more useful for strumming accompaniment.

This is fun! When I get an "real" song recorded, I'll let y'all know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page