Paul McCartney Epiphone
Slipkid
Posted 2005-09-10 8:10 AM (#137860)
Subject: Paul McCartney Epiphone

The open mic audience learned a bit about the McCartney signature Epiphones last night.

There will be about 1000 made in Japan and priced at about $800.
There are 250 made at the Gibson / Montana factory priced at $8,000.
There will be about 40 made that will be "aged" to like Paul's guitar as it is today. This guitar is tagged a $40,000.

They come with different levels of certification.

I played the 8k model for a bit last night and the store owner played a song with it on stage. It played and sounded very nice. At that price, it better!

Huber got #1 of 250. That one is sold. I think they have 3 more. They sold one of the 40k model with another one on hand.

Paul's guitar currently as a Detroit Red Wings sticker / logo behind the bridge. The Detroit Red Wings organization said they could package the decal seperately with the 40k guitar but could not sell it with the decal aready on the guitar. Go figure.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Matt Mattson
Posted 2005-09-10 8:31 AM (#137861 - in reply to #137860)
Subject: Re: Paul McCartney Epiphone

If anyone is interested, I have an old (in dog years) Fender Squire lovingly crafted by prisoners in China that I will sign and put any sticker you want on it for $4000. 1/10th the talent -- 1/10th the price . . . (might be a stretch on the equation so I'll dicker a little)
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-09-10 9:05 AM (#137862 - in reply to #137860)

Form a music group, write songs, dominate the radio airwaves for 10 years, and you might get the same interest.....

Roger
BrianT
Posted 2005-09-10 9:26 AM (#137863 - in reply to #137860)

I didnt want to rain on Paul's parrade, but I could'nt help but wonder who would pay $3000 let alone $40000 for an Epiphone. Paul Huber explained that the expensive one's were made by Gibson Montana, but to me that sounds like buying a Chevy that was made at a Mercedes factory. I dont get it. I personally would want a real Mercedes (or Gibson as it were). I also don't get them beating up the guitar and putting a Red Wings sticker on it so it will look like Paul's. I can think of so many more guitars that I would rather have for $3000.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2005-09-10 11:41 AM (#137864 - in reply to #137860)

The John Lennon signature Epiphone sells for $500. It's a pretty guitar. Maybe they should package the two together and throw in some LSD. It would be the perfect songwriting package, if John and Paul are any indication.
unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-09-10 12:30 PM (#137865 - in reply to #137860)

Being a Beatle worshiper, I might look into the jap one, depends on the sound (actually, since I'm taking my Taylor 110 back, I just may do that). It would be especially great for me too, if I knick the the thing I can put a red wing's sticker over it insteard of buying a new one like the O!

Although, I'd rather have a the tobacco burst J 200 Harrison played just because I like taobacco bursts. If they made a cheaper Japanese Harrison signature of that, i'd look into that.
Matt Mattson
Posted 2005-09-10 1:51 PM (#137866 - in reply to #137860)

"Form a music group, write songs, dominate the radio airwaves for 10 years, and you might get the same interest....." -- You mean all that 60's bs I lived through and listened to was all about the money . . . I'm shocked! Shocked! Shocked -- I tell you!

Ironic the "counterculture" is now paying $40,000 for guitars, riding Hummers, etc., etc., etc. Somewhere, my Dad and a whole lot of other WWII vets (whom the counterculture belittled) are smiling . . . Remember kids -- don't trust anyone over 30!

Social commentary off.

It really is a pretty guitar though. $40,000 = a pretty guitar on the wall or in the safe -- or 53,333 (roughly) Balladeer Specials -- and the greatest backup band in history. Hmmm.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-09-10 2:49 PM (#137867 - in reply to #137860)

The PM japanese Texan has a solid mahogany back and sides and solid spruce top. Given the quality of the work that has been coming out of Asia, if Epi is putting extra attention into the run this might be a more than OK guitar for the money. Maybe better than the 110.

Thumb ... Epi does make an EJ200 in Vintage Sunburst for a street price of under $400. Not a signature version though, and I don't know of any George Harrison models from any manufacturer although I think there was a Strat model painted to match his psychadelic Strat from the Magical Mystery Tour period.
Beal
Posted 2005-09-10 3:49 PM (#137868 - in reply to #137860)

$800 for a Japaneese guitar is a very cheap price, sure you got the right country? If so this is a pretty good deal, Japan can make some really good guitars.
$8000 for a US made Epi? Brazilian rosewood? all kinds of Abalone inlay? It might make sense then but I don't think those guitars come with those features. So maybe it's just a really good made US guitar (from Gibson??!!!??) that should be $2500 and is $8000
$40 grand for an AGED one. What's it aged in, Montana mountain lion piss? So they tint the finish and relic it up. For that Henry wants another 32 large. I don't think so. I may have been born at night but not last night.
leftovertion
Posted 2005-09-10 4:38 PM (#137869 - in reply to #137860)

Okay, my turn to whine...

...and just how many of those McCartney guitars will actually be left-handed? Or even STRUNG lefty?

(...crickets chirping, frogs croaking in background...)

Yeah, that's what I heard.

Sorry, no thanks.

:mad:
Jeff
Posted 2005-09-11 12:00 AM (#137870 - in reply to #137860)

But Mike...

If you want to be just like Paul, then it has to be a right handed guitar that's strung lefty. So in this one and only instance, It'd be to our advantage NOT to have a true lefty... That is, if we were going to have one at all.
unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-09-11 1:05 AM (#137871 - in reply to #137860)

!I'm not to sure about Japanese guitars, I just know everyone screams for US made guitars. I know my US balladeer sounds great and some of the foreign made applause I've played were horrible! If you guys say the Japanese guitars are good, well I really will look into the PM epi sig.For a Beatle fan like me, I think it would be pretty cool to own, and it has to sound better than the 110. I mean the 110 is ok, I'm sure those elixers are making it sound weird. I was told to buy ebony bridge pins and put a bone saddle and of course--lose the elixers and it would sound good, but now I'm kind of enthused about the PM sig.
Bluebird
Posted 2005-09-11 10:01 AM (#137872 - in reply to #137860)

The whole idea of taking a new guitar and relicing it to look like an old one and then charging extra for it has always seemed bizarre to me. That just makes it a fake, most of which can be spotted a mile away. An extra 32K to make your new guitar look old is crazy. For that much jing you can get a real vintage guitar…or several, for that matter.

In the world of vintage guitars, if you have a worn, played example of a particular model, it is usually worth less than the pristine version even if the beater is a better instrument in every other respect.

Wayne
Beal
Posted 2005-09-11 10:56 AM (#137873 - in reply to #137860)

When talking about imports it is very important to keep the specific country of origin in mind. Japan, Korea, China, and others. Probably safe to say that Japan hasn't made a cheap guitar in 10 years. 10 years ago Korea was 50/50 and most of what came from China was crap. Now Japan is pretty much mid to high end, Korea is not bad and China is all over the lot. The Gitane John Jorgenson model is made in China and is great. It's also $1300. Then there are the GSOs (guitar shaped objects) that appear at Christmas time and those are made in Chiner.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-09-11 11:38 AM (#137874 - in reply to #137860)

I did a little poking around and it appears that the Japanese made McCartney Texan is about $2500. The US made version can be scored for about $7K. For an extra $33K, you get the aged look, including scratches and Red Wings sticker AND Sir Paul's autograph on both the label and the top. The signature is probably adding $30K.

China is making some fine guitars these days. The Epiphone MasterBilts, the Blueridge line, and some of the Washburns are all excellent guitars, but then again they all land in the $500 - $1500 range, so defintely not GSOs.
Jeff
Posted 2005-09-11 3:28 PM (#137875 - in reply to #137860)

I don't get it. I must be missing something...

I mean, I'm as big a Beatle fan as anyone, and I really wouldn't mind having one of those Macca Epi's (the Japan built ones). But, I just cannot justify $2500 for an Epiphone--I don't care where it's made. I'm not afraid to spend the money when it's justified. I just bought two Martins this year that were roughly 2K apiece, discounted. I didn't mind paying it because Martin's tone and reputation for quality have been known and revered for going on three centuries now. Niether would I bat an eye at 2K + for an Adamas or other high end O, again, because they're known for quality and great tone. But $2500 for an Epiphone? The very name is synonomous with budget line guitars.

It's the same reason I'll probably never own a Gretsch. I think the current Gretsch reissues look and sound awesome. But in my mind, they're still off shore built guitars, which should translate into less money than what I would spend on an American built guitar of similar style and quality. I thought the whole point of building guitars off shore was to make 'em for less so you could sell 'em for less. Yet, I see Gretsch's priced right up there with Gibsons and other high end US made electrics.

I dunno, am I wrong? Is my point valid, or am I throwing the baby out with the bath water?
leftovertion
Posted 2005-09-11 5:50 PM (#137876 - in reply to #137860)

Japanese guitars have gotten so good that they're either equal to or, in many cases, actually BETTER than lots of US made guitars.

I've never owned a Gretsch, but most of the reviews I've read say that the newer ones are actually much better (and certainly much more consistent - vintage Gretsch's biggest issue) that most old Gretsches. People are buying 'em.

I know if Ibanez made a lefty John Scofield model, I'd be gassing for one, even if it was $2,500/3,000...
Jeff
Posted 2005-09-11 9:59 PM (#137877 - in reply to #137860)

I know many Japanese guitars are very, very good. I don't dispute that. I own a Japanese Fender 50's Reissue Strat, and it's a wonderful guitar. But here's my point; what I paid for it was only about half of what I'd of paid for an American Vintage RI. Again, I thought the whole point of US guitar makers opening up production facilities overseas was so they could build guitars for less and pass at least some of the savings onto the consumer?

I don't know, maybe it's an outdated paradigm, within the context of guitars, that US made automatically means better quality. But I still don't know that I could fork over $2500 for an Epiphone. It'd have to be one incredibly awesome sounding axe in order for me to consider it. But, who knows...
an4340
Posted 2005-09-11 10:14 PM (#137878 - in reply to #137860)

Phew, I tried some of the high end gretch's at guitar center, including the brian setzer model, and they were really poorly made. I think the people who buy them are brain washed. I'd rather buy a telecopy from indonisia.
Corvairfan
Posted 2005-09-11 10:22 PM (#137879 - in reply to #137860)

I played one at a GC. The manager said..hey I want to show you something. He pulled out the Epiphone and it had PM signature and he was sweating bullets when we both played it. Don't know which one but it had the real deal autograph.

Thing is, they kept dead strings on it. It sounded like crap and looked no better than any other guitar.

Sorry, even with new strings it is not worth thousands of dollars.

I paid $1600 out the door...a bargain it seemed..for a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe cutaway with electronics, nitro gloss rosewood, abalone, mop, gold Grovers etc. A sweet guitar that kicks many guitars butts made in USA.

Sorry, I love PM, going to 2 shows this month but the guitar is not worth it.

Oh, I didn't care for the Brian Setzer Gretches either, they didn't scream high end guitar for an over $1000 MIJ guitar...and I love Setzer too.
Matt Mattson
Posted 2005-09-11 10:22 PM (#137880 - in reply to #137860)

Again, I thought the whole point of US guitar makers opening up production facilities overseas was so they could build guitars for less and pass at least some of the savings onto the consumer? -- I think you're on the right track with this. I'm also considering a Fender XII (Japanese) reissue for a 12 string. At $699 (new) it has to be considered.

$40,000 would buy: 1 new absolutely beautiful USA Hamer Studio Custom in the paint of your choice + 5,588 MRE's ($6.80 apiece) to feed the displaced from New Orleans . . . I'm sure it's a nice guitar though.