scratches on bowl?
Mike S.
Posted 2020-09-22 11:37 AM (#552907)
Subject: scratches on bowl?

Hello, Everyone,

Long time no write here on OFC. I now have some scratches on the bowl of my Ovation guitar.  This has never happened before. They are not deep, and only noticeable by me, when the light hits them. How do I repair them, and/or cover them up?

Mike S.

Ottawa, ON., 

Edited by Mike S. 2020-09-22 11:39 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2020-09-22 6:42 PM (#552913 - in reply to #552907)
Subject: Re: scratches on bowl?

Hi Mike. Let's see if I can beat everyone else to this answer... a black Sharpie. And get the one they make that has a fine pinpoint instead of their typical marker kind. At least it works for me. Oh, and maybe a cotton swab with some alcohol on it to wipe off any overage.

Edited by Love O Fair 2020-09-22 6:45 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2020-09-22 11:09 PM (#552923 - in reply to #552913)

Hi, Love O Fair,
Thanks for the advice. Sorry, Dan Savage beat you to it, though. He suggested Minwax polyurethane? My guitar bowl is dark brown. Do they make a dark brown Sharpie? I hope so. Sadly, I'm CANADA'S worst handy man, and may have to get my guitar tech do this?( Poly what?) My guitar tech knows way more about my guitar than me, especially working on finishes, so meanwhile I'll look for a brown Sharpie.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Love O Fair
Posted 2020-09-23 2:14 PM (#552926 - in reply to #552907)

Sharpie makes a very wide range of colors.. but getting one to match the exact shade of your brown bowl... hmmm.. maybe not.
I'm not sure what Dan meant by the Minwax method since I cannot see his post here, but he is quite savvy to all-things-guitar.
Mike S.
Posted 2020-09-25 3:36 PM (#552937 - in reply to #552926)

Hello, Love O Fair,
Thanks for the reply. I sent Dan a PM, so that's why you didn't see it here. Saying Dan is quite savvy to all things guitar is an understatement for sure, eh? Minwax is a brand of polyurethane paint spray finish that is used to cover scratches on cars, and according to Dan it should work on the bowl?, but I'm leaving the actual repair to my guitar tech at some point. My Ovation, thusly, sad to say, has been put to bed in its case, scratches and all. I don't know if my tech can do the work, and I may not be able to see him, regardless, because we are in lockdown here in Ontario, again, due to the 2nd wave COVID-19. I may have to sell the guitar, but who wants damaged goods? I don't have the funds, and or accessibility to send it from here, all the way to The Mother Ship for repair, although I haven't check with other guitar repairmen in Ottawa, either. Most guitar repair guys I know from the past Ovations I've had don't like to work on Ovation guitars. Needless to say, I'm not happy about any of this. Any more thoughts from my friends OFC may or may not help, but I'm up for any suggestions now. "It's a bit of a head- scratcher, ain't it?"

Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

2wheeldrummer
Posted 2020-09-25 5:40 PM (#552941 - in reply to #552907)

Mike S post some pics of the scratches so we can see how bad they are if its just surface discoloration you might be able to clean it with a kitchen scrubbing pad like the magic eraser pad,either way Play The Guitar..don't let it sit it needs your attention LOL
standing
Posted 2020-09-26 12:05 PM (#552944 - in reply to #552907)

Imo, if some scratches on the bowl cause you enough concern to consider selling the guitar, you probably own it for the wrong reason in the first place. It’s certainly worth fixing if you can, but, since it’s purely a cosmetic issue, I wouldn’t go to too much trouble just to hide the scratches.

Many years ago, I found an (otherwise pristine) Adamas at a bargain price just because it had severe buckle rash on the bowl. I have never regretted buying it. I thought about repairing the large “scar” on the bowl, but I never got around to fixing it. I just play it and enjoy it instead. No one, (including me), sees the bowl while I’m playing it anyway.

The only guitars that don’t get scratches and scars over time are those that don’t get played.

(As 2WD said); “Play the guitar” (just don’t play it while wearing a large belt buckle…) ;-)

Mike S.
Posted 2020-09-27 12:17 AM (#552946 - in reply to #552944)

Hi, Everyone,
Thanks for the advice. It's good to know that the OFC always supports me. Yes, I'm keeping the guitar. It's a 1993 Collectors Series. It's the best the best Ovation I've ever had, and I've had a few since 1969. The mid-depth bowl fits me, and the neck plays really well. It sounds great. It took me a long time to get it. I do actually need it for teaching guitar now, too. As to the repairs, yes, it does need my attention. I'll try the magic eraser. I've never heard of that one. I've got some here. I'm going to contact my guitar tech about the guitar as well. He does house calls for me, and doesn't charge me much, although he insists on cash! I'm not good with posting photos, so I'll try to figure this out. My cellphone does have a camera, but the photo quality is not the greatest. (The scratches are from my wheelchair feet, actually. OOPSIE! ) I've always worn my belt buckle on my left to avoid scratches from it, because I can only play sitting down. More later. STAY SAFE! Thanks again for the helpful advice.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2020-09-27 12:29 AM
Mike S.
Posted 2020-10-16 10:33 PM (#554054 - in reply to #552946)

Hello, Everyone,
I finally got the scratches on my Ovation guitar bowl repaired, and it worked just with Magic Eraser! ( I could never afford to send it to The Mother Ship for repair at any point, really.) My good friend/mentor Bruce Saunders came by last night, and helped me fix it. We had a great jam session afterwards, playing / teaching each other new songs, CCW, jazz guitar, etc., and discussing guitars in general. He even joked about keeping my Ovation now, because he likes the low action on it!! He has a TAKAMINE at his house, but used a NOS NORMAN, now made by Godin Guitars. here at my apartment. He also confirmed what was said earlier." Don't leave it in the case. Play your guitar!" So my next question is: After I finish playing, and yes, I sweat a lot, what guitar polish and/or polishing cloth works best on the so called, "bullet proof" OVATION guitar finishes? Is Lemon Pledge okay for both the top and the neck? The guitar neck has a satin finish. Lemon Pledge was recommended by my first guitar tech, who is retired now. Again, many thanks in advance to my friends here at OFC for helping me appreciate. and push me play to my Ovation. You, and Bruce always keep me honest. Unfortunately, we are in the RED ZONE(highest danger) due to COVID-19 now, and the interprovincial bridge may be closed soon. It could be a very long time before Isee Bruce again.
Mike S.
Posted 2020-10-16 10:33 PM (#554055 - in reply to #552946)
Subject: Re: scratches on bowl?; update, cleaning

Hello, Everyone,
I finally got the scratches on my Ovation guitar bowl repaired, and it worked just with Magic Eraser! (I could never afford to send it to The Mother Ship for repair at any point, really.) My good friend/mentor Bruce Saunders came by last night, and helped me to fix it. We had a great jam session afterwards, playing /teaching each other new songs, CCW, jazz guitar, etc., and discussing guitars in general. He even joked about keeping my Ovation now, because he likes the low action on it!! He has a TAKAMINE at his house, but used a NOS NORMAN, now made by Godin Guitars, here at my apartment. He also confirmed what was said earlier." Don't leave your guitar in the case. Play your guitar!" So my next question is: After I finish playing, and yes, I sweat a lot, what guitar polish and/or polishing cloth works best on the so called, "bullet proof" OVATION guitar finishes? Is Lemon Pledge okay for both the top and the neck? The guitar neck has a satin finish. Lemon Pledge was recommended by my first guitar tech, who is retired now. Again, many thanks in advance to my friends here at OFC for helping me appreciate, and push me to play Ovation. You, and Bruce always keep me honest. Unfortunately, we are in the RED ZONE (highest danger) due to COVID-19 here again now, and the interprovincial bridge may be closed soon. It could be a very long time before I see Bruce again.
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2020-10-16 10:42 PM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2020-10-16 11:01 PM (#554056 - in reply to #552907)

Glad to hear you got your baby cleaned up
I use Dunlop Guitar Polish on mine
https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-654-Formula-Guitar-Cleaner/dp/B000EELB...

Mike S.
Posted 2020-10-17 9:49 PM (#554065 - in reply to #554056)

Hello, 2wheeldrummer,
Thanks for the kind advice. I like all the Dunlop products, especially their guitar picks, but I've never tried their guitar polish yet. I can get it on amazon.ca here in CANADA.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA