The Ovation 12 Fretters – A Definitive List
arumako
Posted 2018-05-15 12:24 AM (#543675)
Subject: The Ovation 12 Fretters – A Definitive List

Guitar enthusiasts the world over set out to find that elusive “sound”. There is nothing quite like the feeling one gets when you find the resonant treasure of your dreams. For many of us, that search has led us right here - Ovation.

Some of us own vast numbers of Os in our collections while others have that one go-to gem. Some collections are exclusive to the Adamas while others concentrate their efforts on the Applause. The discussions are as colorful as the guitars themselves. I’ve really enjoyed being allowed to participate in the OFC since 2012; and one discussion seemed to resonate with a sort of legendary following. Every thread concerning these special Os were replete with rave review after rave review after rave review. These were not “one-off” custom builds (although those exist too). Curiously, these were production models.

The discussions seemed to center on one specific feature - the necks met the body at the 12th fret (instead of the 14th like the majority of Os). They were referred to as the “12-Fretters”. After nearly 2 long years of waiting; last December, I picked up my 1678AV50-5 50th Anniversary O - a 12 Fretter. The “real-thing” surpassed every legend…every expectation. Since then, my search for a definitive list of all 12 Fretter Os began. To my surprise, all to be had were more rave reviews with no list. With the help of the members of the OFC both veteran and not, I think I’ve been able to compile a list which is, at least, close to definitive.

In compiling this list, non-production custom models (like DetlefMichel’s very special 1658 Parlor twelve-string – sorry!) were excluded. The list is split into only two categories; non-cutaway and cutaway. Steel stringers are unmarked while nylon stringers are marked "nylon". Ovations are listed with no markings and Adamas and Academys are marked accordingly - tried to keep bowl depth info accurate as well. Interestingly, all of the 12 Fretters (except the 1198GCF Adamas, "Bear Claw") are “Slot head”; and the 2006X LAV Koa is the only one utilizing the newer "Contour Bowl". Of course, if you notice any errors, please feel free to add to this thread and make corrections!

Now without further adieu, may I present the crème de la crème of resonance, The Ovation 12 Fretters – A Definitive List…

List Guide:
AO - Acoustic Only
AE - Acoustic Electric

Bowls:
DPB - Deep Bowl
DPCB - Deep Contour Bowl
MDB - Mid-Depth Bowl
SDPB
- Shiny Deep Bowl

SSB - Super Shallow Bowl

Non-Cutaway (Center-hole, Epis and Bear Claws)
#3 Original Series, Classic, nylon, AO, SDPB
#4 Original Series, Josh White, AO, SDPB
#5 Original Series, Balladeer 12-string, AO, SDPB
#6 Original Series, Contemporary Folk Classic, nylon, AO, SDPB
#8 Original Series, Glen Campbell, 12-string, AO, SDPB
1113 Classic, nylon, AO, DPB
1114 Folklore, AO, DPB
1115 Pacemaker, 12-string, AO, DPB
1116 Concert Classic, nylon, AO, DPB
1122 Classic Balladeer, nylon, AO, DPB
1158 Custom Legend, 12-string, AO, DPB
1198AV40 Adamas, 40th Anniversary, "Bear Claw", AO, MDB
1198GCF Adamas, "Bear Claw", AE, MDB (non-slothead)
1613 Classic, nylon, AE, DPB
1614 Folklore, AE, DPB
1615 Pacemaker, 12-string, AE, DPB
1616 Concert Classic, nylon, AE, DPB
1618 Glen Campbell, 12-string, AE, DPB
1658 Custom Legend, 12-string, AE, DPB
1678AV50 50th Anniversary, Epis, AE, MDB
1680 Adamas, Premiere, Epis, AE, DPB
1713 Classic, nylon, AE, DPB
'97 Collector's, nylon or steel string, AE, Parlor
FD14 Josh White Folklore Deluxe, AE, DPB
KA17 Academy, AO, DPB
K1114 Josh White Re-issue, AO, SDPB
U681-T Adamas, Epis, AE, DPB

U691-T Adamas, 12-string, Epis, AE, DPB

Cutaway (Center-hole or Single Oval)
1763 Classic nylon, AE, DPB
1773 Classic nylon, AE, MDB
1863 Classic nylon, AE, SSB
2006X Koa, LAV Limited Edition, Single Oval, AE, DPCB

Note: The 12-Fretters are slightly shorter in scale and fit players with shorter arm spans like myself. Most of them also feature wider necks at the nut helping folks with pudgy fingers (like myself) play more freely. Of course, most prefer the more common 14 Fret Os, and this thread is not to suggest the 12 Fretters are superior guitars. They seem to sustain longer and sound fatter and thicker to me; but that's me...and I am subject to subjectivity.

Here's to hoping that this list might be useful in helping some of us find our dream Ovation. Happy hunting & Cheers!

Edited by arumako 2018-05-15 12:33 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-05-15 10:49 AM (#543677 - in reply to #543675)
Subject: Re: The Ovation 12 Fretters – A Definitive List

...and my 1658-x parlor;-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page