In the colorful annals of Kaman Corp., this will be remembered as the year the music
PEZ
Posted 2007-10-30 7:29 AM (#76520)
Subject: In the colorful annals of Kaman Corp., this will be remembered as the year the music

In the colorful annals of Kaman Corp., this will be remembered as the year the music stopped.

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews/hc-kamanmusic1030.artoct...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2007-10-30 8:04 AM (#76521 - in reply to #76520)
Subject: Re: In the colorful annals of Kaman Corp., this will be remembered as the year the music

I think you're right. But let's hope you're wrong.
PEZ
Posted 2007-10-30 8:26 AM (#76522 - in reply to #76520)
Subject: Re: In the colorful annals of Kaman Corp., this will be remembered as the year the music

The piece had lots of errors in it I posted corrections in the comments section.
I wonder if the Hartford Advocate will cover the story.
Steve
Posted 2007-10-31 9:41 AM (#76523 - in reply to #76520)

Do these stats really make sense for Kaman being sold to Fender?
Kaman only employs 500 people but makes $215 million a year, while Fender employs 2600 people but only makes $430 million a year..So, Fender employs 2000 more people than Kaman but only makes twice as much?...And they say that 'Wall Street' has been skeptical about Kaman and want them to be more focused?...that they think Kaman's music has been "an ill-fitting sideline"?
That's a bunch of Wall Street hogwash.
It sounds like Fender is sinking and wants the music industry to throw them a life-preserver. Fender better learn quality control and customer service from Ovation Instruments or they're going to sink the whole ship...
MWoody
Posted 2007-10-31 10:53 AM (#76524 - in reply to #76520)

Kaman Music is mostly in distribution so the employee count is low while the financial figures are high.

Also, since Kaman was positioned to sell their numbers are current and optimistic while FMIC's are low key and humble.

Tis a a new era upon us whether fit or fire!
Steve
Posted 2007-10-31 11:50 AM (#76525 - in reply to #76520)

Yep, if there's up-side to this it will be 'an original pre-Fender USA Ovation/Adamas'...but, I still don't buy all the wall-street rhetoric. Perhaps it's my experiences from another major industry, the airlines. A big-name cash-poor airline buys a smaller profitable competitive airline and then they both crash...so,whether it's a result of the new era or market forces or international competition, it still sucks..
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-10-31 2:07 PM (#76526 - in reply to #76520)

You don't have enough information yet to say that it sucks or doesn't suck. All you know at this point is that KMC is to be owned by Fender. That's it. Nothing more.

My personal opinion is that this may be good as Fender is a music company that wants KMC and Kaman Corp is an aerospace company that didn't want KMC.

But that's only my opinion. Like everybody else, I don't know anything more except the sale is taking place. All the speculation, all the doom and gloom is way premature. There's no place for it and if you're going to be depressed about this, then go home. Let's wait to see how things shake out before being depressed.

Now, how about them Sox?
Waskel
Posted 2007-10-31 2:16 PM (#76527 - in reply to #76520)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
if you're going to be depressed about this, then go home.
But I am home.
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2007-10-31 2:24 PM (#76528 - in reply to #76520)

And I'm maybe 45 miles from New York, so for some of us the word "Sox" is anathema; we won't even mention which color.

--Karen
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-10-31 2:32 PM (#76529 - in reply to #76520)

Me Too!

BTW, what socks?
cliff
Posted 2007-10-31 2:33 PM (#76530 - in reply to #76520)

During every baseball season, we always work Fogerty's "Centerfield" into our sets.

Crowds are generally Yankee fans with a smattering of Met fans.

Not being a sports fan (in the least), it's ALWAYS fun t'piss people off by ending the song with
"Go Sawks!!".

It's really amazing that (in the almost seven years of doing this) we haven't fought our way out of more bars . . .
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-10-31 2:41 PM (#76531 - in reply to #76520)

Just Kidding, Paul!

My sentiments exactly Cliff!

Always better to be P'd off than P'd on...

And what is going on with this site???????
now the Graemlins won't pop up!

And its SSSSSSOOOOOOO SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWW!
Weaser P
Posted 2007-10-31 2:43 PM (#76532 - in reply to #76520)

Originally posted by Jewel's Mom:
And I'm maybe 45 miles from New York, so for some of us the word "Sox" is anathema; we won't even mention which color.

--Karen
I've lived my entire life in NY but don't ask me to root for the Evil Empire. Un-ungh. Just ain't gonna happen no way, no how. I consider myself way too much of a baseball fan to do that.
adamas72
Posted 2007-11-03 1:07 PM (#76533 - in reply to #76520)

Moody,P.I. interpretations of this whole mew world has eased some of the pain. I thank you and SOX WIN is so sweet.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-11-03 8:28 PM (#76534 - in reply to #76520)

Originally posted by Steve:
Do these stats really make sense for Kaman being sold to Fender?
Kaman only employs 500 people but makes $215 million a year, while Fender employs 2600 people but only makes $430 million a year..So, Fender employs 2000 more people than Kaman but only makes twice as much?...
This reminds be of one of my all-time Favorite experiences. I used to work for the Forum Group which was a Senior Living Services provider.

We had about 50 people at Corporate that supported properties all across the Country. Forum Group was one of the largest senior living services provider in the country at the time. When Marriott Senior Living Services purchased us they were one of the smallest, with only about 20 properties, and their Corporate office had about 500 employees.

When discussing the merge I asked why they wouldn't be adopting Forums management model as we had only 50 people that were doing things rather efficiently and they were using 500 to do a fraction.

The fine folks at Marriott were quick to point out... that they had a much better model. WHen I asked why... the response.. "You only emploee 50 people, while we employee 500."

There really wasn't much else to say after that. Although it may not have been "efficient" one can't knock providing 450 more jobs.
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-03 9:53 PM (#76535 - in reply to #76520)

Fender makes or imports more of its own products,
thus more employees.
KMC distibrinutes many products other people make.
The numbers are not really surprising.