I heard the news today... oh boy.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-10-31 2:37 PM (#76306)
Subject: I heard the news today... oh boy.

I exchanged an email with Rick Hall in which I came up with the above subject line, and although they have a policy of not posting on the message boards he did mention that he knew this info would create quite a stir and did check in.

"Please pass along my personal thanks and let everyone know all of us in the Ovation family really appreciate everyone's support and concern."

He also mentioned that at some time he expects to have to give a "state of Ovation" presentation to the new owners and that we would be encouraging them to "check out the OFC site to witness the true spirit of the players that know and appreciate all we do."

I tried to encapsulate everyones sentiment in my comment to Rick that...

"I certainly hope that Fender realizes and appreciates the bargain price they paid for the legacy created by some of the finest and most talented people in the industry."
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weaser P
Posted 2007-10-31 2:47 PM (#76307 - in reply to #76306)
Subject: Re: I heard the news today... oh boy.

Well said, Miles. Hopefully they will do just that.
fillhixx
Posted 2007-10-31 3:00 PM (#76308 - in reply to #76306)

Another good reason to talk nice for a bit. Concerned, but nice.
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-10-31 3:00 PM (#76309 - in reply to #76306)

I had an (-yet another) interaction with the Factory Service Dept today that, once again, proves that sentiment.

I've NEVER experienced better service with any manufacturer.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-10-31 3:22 PM (#76310 - in reply to #76306)

This is good.
Not an all out "call to arms"... but there is something we can do.

If I knew who to send them to, and if I could be sure that they would get them and that they are the right people... it would be worth sending out a calendar or two to Fender.

Also... thanks for checking in with us Rick!
PEZ
Posted 2007-10-31 3:38 PM (#76311 - in reply to #76306)

The Boss is never a bad place to start.

Fender CEO Bill Mendello
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation,
8860 E. Chaparral Road, Suite 100,
cottsdale, Ariz. 85250, U.S.A
fillhixx
Posted 2007-10-31 3:49 PM (#76312 - in reply to #76306)

Better to keep it friendly and personal.
Let's send Tupperware over to play a round of golf with him!
;-)
PEZ
Posted 2007-10-31 4:01 PM (#76313 - in reply to #76306)

Originally posted by PEZ:
The Boss is never a bad place to start.

Fender CEO Bill Mendello
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation,
8860 E. Chaparral Road, Suite 100,
cottsdale, Ariz. 85250, U.S.A
Thats
Scottsdale Az.

forgot the s
Tupperware
Posted 2007-10-31 4:10 PM (#76314 - in reply to #76306)

I am sure I could work it into my busy schedule. Maybe I need to invite him over to sample some of the roundback collection ???

Dave
PEZ
Posted 2007-10-31 4:39 PM (#76315 - in reply to #76306)

Originally posted by Tupperware:
I am sure I could work it into my busy schedule. Maybe I need to invite him over to sample some of the roundback collection ???

Dave
Point out the Fender Link on your Website.

Again there is no reason to be hostle to Fender.
We should welcome them and just express how special we think Ovation and its people are.
Quality control, craftsman, customer service and
responsiveness to customer needs is world class.
Fender is our new Father in law.
lanaki
Posted 2007-10-31 5:04 PM (#76316 - in reply to #76306)

it would be very nice if this site was working when the fender folks visited it. in fact, it would be sweet if it would work today too...
Tupperware
Posted 2007-10-31 6:48 PM (#76317 - in reply to #76306)

Hi Mr. Mandello, Thanks for stopping over. Let me show you around my house. Over here we've got a little slice of history - original '67 Balladeer and Josh White guitars, and check this out - here's the identical guitars 2006 reissue model. Aren't they amazing? Oh THAT? Yeah, a Thunderhead Deluxe. Those got plenty of TV time back in the day. You like beautiful workmanship? Look at the sunburst and abalone on this contour bowl Custom Legend. Oh yeah, a wide neck with slothead to boot. That's a custom, the boys in New Hartford are really good with this kind of stuff. You like custom work? Look over there - that's a KOA 12 fret slothead made in a limited run for Al's customers. Beautiful instruments. And talk about beautiful, you may have seen this high tech one off, it's the gloss Adamas 2080 from last years NAMM display. Yup, that's a contour bowl. Over here are some great pieces - That sir is an original Adamas slothead. One of only 34 ever made. Extremely rare and without question the best sounding acoustic instrument Ovation has ever made. But look at this - it's a special reissue model of the same guitar made 30 years later just for 12 lucky members of the OFC. It's like we have a custom luthier living right next door and our dealer has the keys to the feaking house. Want a beer? So tell me, do you guys distribute any ukuleles?

Dave
stonebobbo
Posted 2007-10-31 7:18 PM (#76318 - in reply to #76306)

Show him the Tele Dave! Show him the Tele!
Tupperware
Posted 2007-10-31 8:16 PM (#76319 - in reply to #76306)

YEAH! Great point!
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-10-31 8:46 PM (#76320 - in reply to #76306)

The TeleUke?
cholloway
Posted 2007-10-31 9:12 PM (#76321 - in reply to #76306)

So many times when a large company buys out another the quality and service is brought down to the level of the larger company (we're the only game in town, so who cares?)

We need to let Fender know... WE CARE!!!
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-10-31 9:15 PM (#76322 - in reply to #76306)

Michael Lewis, as I have stated in another thread, is a good friend of mine and is Head of Gretch Worldwide FMIC...I wrote him an email and I'll post some of that here as I am waiting for a response: I have edited some personal stuff but left the bulk of the message:

Hey Michael: (some personal content edited)
...if you recall, C'Ville Music is responsible for several things which have changed my life...1st, coming to appreciate Strats and playing them as my main Electrics now for almost 29 years (NO WAY!)...2nd, your recommending me for a Keyman Endorsee position from Kaman Music and Ovation guitars in particular in 1989...I still share them with the public today...I have the white 1758 12 and I finally added a white 1868 matching 6 string...I sold the black one I got from you several years ago to a songwriter in England...I am also very active on the Ovation Fan Club website (www.ovationfanclub.com) and have added several other vintage Ovations and some great Adamas 12's and a 30th anniversary #47 reissue slothead which is a really truly great instrument. I have a new Strat that I bought last year: a EJ 1st series low serial number in white blond (my Deluxe (HR) is finished in matching tolex like the case, and has a Celestion Vintage 30)...
Well, I saw that FMIC bought Kaman MI and it looks like they got a sweet deal: 117 Million for all everything: heck the marketing alone is worth that or more. Of course, I love Fender: and I have you to thank for that (although I've always played and used Fender Amps, and have 1966 Villager Acoustic 12 that I've owned since 1969)...
But, as you know, my choice in A/E's has always been Ovation: for over 30 years now. I have visited the factory in New Hartford, CT and am so impressed with the (call it Old School) way in which they build the guitars and treat the persons who have remained loyal for so many years...the customer service is second to none and the work that they do is first rate in fixing and restoring older Ovation and Adamas guitars...I would not say that if it were not true...I use the guitars every Sunday and still play out at a variety of functions and always get a really great response from the audience over my Ovation and Adamas guitars. And they have held their own for over (some of them) 25 years +. Of course, you can imagine the concern many of the long time partisans have when we hear of the acquisition. Can you shed any light on what may happen? I am really concerned...That factory should be on the list of the National Historic Registry...or something similar. The workers are one big family in a place in the United States that has seen its share of closures and lay-offs...I cannot tell you how vital that is for the legion of fans, owners, performers, and factory workers and staff that call Ovation and Hamer home! I am not sorry that Fender has acquired Kaman...I think it could be really great for both...but I am afraid that the same fate that befell Guild when they were acquired by FMIC will happen to Ovation/Adamas/Hamer...And that would be a National tragedy!
Well, guess I've gone on a bit long here but I am passionate about this...I would be happy to give a testimony to anyone at the company who might care to listen to a long time former professional Ovation owner/player/endorsee. After all, its all your fault. LOL
Thanks for listening Mike: if you need my personal information just ask and you've got it!
All the best my friend,
Mike Ward
Minister and former C'ville junkie
I will share his response when it comes...
MWoody
Posted 2007-10-31 9:57 PM (#76323 - in reply to #76306)

Just don't let him talk about tele's with Al...
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-10-31 9:59 PM (#76324 - in reply to #76306)

If they will be stopping by, it might be a good time to put up pix of all the Tours and Jams.
dmkozak
Posted 2007-10-31 10:29 PM (#76325 - in reply to #76306)

Originally posted by MusicMike:
...but I am afraid that the same fate that befell Guild when they were acquired by FMIC will happen to Ovation/Adamas/Hamer...
Guild had shut down the New York facility before FMIC acquired Guild. Guitars were being made in Tenessee when FMIC bought Guild. FMIC did move Guild production to Corona. Then, FMIC bought Tacoma, which would have otherwise closed, and moved Guild production to Tacoma. FMIC ended up saving both Guild and Tacoma.

But, Ovation is neither Guild nor Tacoma. It can stand on its own two feet without the need for outside assistance.

Just to let you know your reference to Guild may not be accurate or correct and the situations are pretty different from one another.
Old Tele man
Posted 2007-10-31 11:30 PM (#76326 - in reply to #76306)

...some of my BEST guitars are Fender, of course the others are OVATIONs...ha,ha!
PEZ
Posted 2007-10-31 11:55 PM (#76327 - in reply to #76306)

Originally posted by dmkozak:
Originally posted by MusicMike:
...but I am afraid that the same fate that befell Guild when they were acquired by FMIC will happen to Ovation/Adamas/Hamer...
Guild had shut down the New York facility before FMIC acquired Guild. Guitars were being made in Tenessee when FMIC bought Guild. FMIC did move Guild production to Corona. Then, FMIC bought Tacoma, which would have otherwise closed, and moved Guild production to Tacoma. FMIC ended up saving both Guild and Tacoma.

But, Ovation is neither Guild nor Tacoma. It can stand on its own two feet without the need for outside assistance.

Just to let you know your reference to Guild may not be accurate or correct and the situations are pretty different from one another.
Guild Started in New York/New Jersey and moved to Westerly Rhode Island in 1967.
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/Guild%20Guitars/Adirondack%20Guitar...
Fender bought the company

Then this happened.
Guild Rhode Island Plant, Open Since 1967, To Be Closed

FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS Corporation (FMIC) announced on June 26 that it will close its Westerly, Rhode Island, manufacturing plant as of August 31, 2001. The Westerly facility is the manufacturing center for Guild Guitars, the brand name of high-end acoustic, solid-body electric, and archtop jazz guitars, that FMIC acquired in 1995. The Guild line of guitars will continue to be built, with manufacturing responsibilities transferred to the FMIC Facility in Corona, California.

In reality almost everyone was fired.
I think they took 3 people.
Very soon after the Chinesse guitars showed up.

The official reason was old factory was out dated.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-11-01 12:32 AM (#76328 - in reply to #76306)

While reading all this, I was thinking about Apple Music in Portland, a coupla blocks from my place.

Used to be that a used Celebrity might float through there. Then they started stocking CC48's, CC44's and CDX44's.
Then, Suddenly they had a CS347-FKOA in the window, and a Black Adamas! in the store. :eek:

Maybe it is because O's and C's and A's are getting more store space, Fender decided that they oughta buy Kaman Music!
At the Discount Price of $117M!

[PEZ Quote-- "The official reason was old factory was out dated."
Wonder what they will think of that 19th Century building in New Hartford?]
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-01 2:05 AM (#76329 - in reply to #76306)

Given the building picts being used in ads people know that immage. It might be harder.
Near as I can tell it seems well maintained.

Carusso Music in New London had lots of Guilds all useds. Salesman said they came from personal guitars
of former Guild Employees, whi needed money
The salesmann told me what happened.
Guild was just 15 miles from Lew London.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-11-01 8:12 AM (#76330 - in reply to #76306)

Thanks Pez; I do know what I'm talking about (most of the time...) plus I owned a beautiful sunburst '93 jumbo Guild 12 and was dismayed when the R.I. plant closed.
I am hoping that history does not repeat itself...
innerman
Posted 2007-11-01 10:35 AM (#76331 - in reply to #76306)

Hey Al, do you have any Limited Edition OFC Strats in Autumn Burst yet?
PEZ
Posted 2007-11-01 11:14 AM (#76332 - in reply to #76306)

Me too, while it was announced in 2001 a move like that had to have been planned long before.
Likily years before.

Also one thing that happened almost right away was customer service contact left Westerly.
I also don't want that to happen.

Fenders customer serve is fair to awefull.
When I ordered the Set-neck custom shop Strat
in 1993 I was told it would 6 months.
It was $1800 retail then paid up front.
I was running out of patience 18 months later
and still no guitar. Dealer could not get any info. He was losing his dealership because of a new minimuim order requirements when Guitar Center moved to Manchester. Bellers had been a Fender dealer from almost day one. No one could give any answers to Spike Beller. I could not get any answers.
Call center said no I talk to custom shop.
Well 3 weeks later I got a direct number to
the custom shop. (I used manage the bar area of West Hartford Ct Agora Ballroom) I know lots of people in the business. I got a direct number by other means. All I wanted to know is
1) Why was this taking so long
2) When would it be ready.
Whoever answered the phone at custom shop said
"If Clapton waits so do you" and hung up on me.
6 months after that my guitar was delivered to Joes Guitars in Wallingford. I open the case
and see I got white knobs and pickups.
I ordered black.

I did not buy ANY Fender product for
for 10 years after that. No picks no polish..nothing.
Every player that oogled the guitar
heard what happened.
I don't know if it is any better now.
I finnally bought a Fender Passport 150 in
2005. If the Peavy Portabable PA was instock
I would have bought that instead.
I also bought Champion 600 this year.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-11-01 12:14 PM (#76333 - in reply to #76306)

http://www.musictrades.com/

Kinda supports what I've been saying. Let's wait and see what happens before we start passing judgment.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-11-01 2:52 PM (#76334 - in reply to #76306)

Although I have read many pieces like that over the years and been involved in a few, this one may be one of the very few that at least for the longer "short-term" of a few years, may bode very well for everyone involved.

Without the BS of the warm fuzzy piece there are some facts.
[list]
[*]Fender is a Music company, buying a music company that gives them a bunch of somethings (distro and instrument options) they don't have now.
[*]Unlike other acquisitions, as stated, the KMC lines don't need to be "Fenderized" to sell. Fender isn't "bailing out" KMC, it's almost like they are "buying into" KMC.
[*]We have sat on this board and debated the marketing and artist relation practices of KMC since the inception of this website. Fender has a long history of loyal and respected endorsements that grows daily and seemingly good marketing.
[*]As stated in the article on Music Trades, there is not a lot of "competitive" products involved. The closest they really get are the Takamine guitars, but that's not really that close either as they point out. Hamer, GenzBenz, Ovation, Adamas are all products that stand on their own and don't compete with Fender offerings on the whole.
[/list]

So bottom line, as has been said, it's all speculation. But at least for now, it looks pretty good for everyone involved.. at least from the outside looking in.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-11-01 3:12 PM (#76335 - in reply to #76306)

I also like this quote:
Janopaul added, “At Fender we view ourselves as stewards of great brands.
Waskel
Posted 2007-11-01 3:15 PM (#76336 - in reply to #76306)

Good points, Miles.
Would have been prettier if HTML was turned on...
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-11-01 4:55 PM (#76337 - in reply to #76306)

Thanks Waskel :( That's what I get for typing before I'm awake... but... I fixed it. :)
Waskel
Posted 2007-11-02 12:09 AM (#76338 - in reply to #76306)

Sure you did. Because you can go back hours later and fix your mistakes, unlike those of us less privileged... :rolleyes: :p
fillhixx
Posted 2007-11-02 2:41 AM (#76339 - in reply to #76306)

I'm surprised you haven't found a decent hack yet!