Amp and Strings for 1984 Collector's
STK
Posted 2007-11-03 6:41 PM (#75861)
Subject: Amp and Strings for 1984 Collector's

Just received Sergio Lara's 1984 Collector's in Korea. Beautiful guitar. This is my first Ovation and the first acoustic-electric guitar. I have three other guitars - Lowden F-12, Santa Cruz model F with cutaway, and nylon stringed classical guitar, Ramirez 4E. Wish I was a real player rather than guitar collector.
Sorry if I seem to repeat what the members may have discussed in previous postings. What amp goes best with Ovation? In what setting - both on the amp and on the guitar? I used my son's cheap Fender amp and it was screetchy! Also, what strings do you recommend? I use Elixir Nanoweb light for Santa Cruz and Newtone Heritage for Lowden after many trials and errors. Could someone who has experimented advise me? I am looking for a mellow and sweet sound combined with longer durability. Hate changing strings! Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2007-11-03 6:51 PM (#75862 - in reply to #75861)
Subject: Re: Amp and Strings for 1984 Collector's

Congrats and welcome, nice guitar you got.

Strings have been a topic here many times and as you might imagine there are almost as many opinions as there are members (don't get talked into string tubes :D ). Elixir Nanowebs are popular, Ovation recommends D'Ad EXP16 or Adamas 1818. I alternate between those two, but I think the D'Ads last a bit longer.

You definitely need an acoustic amp, rather than one made for electric. Genz Benz are a great choice. I've got a Crate 15W that sounds great and is more than I need for personal playing.
LBJ
Posted 2007-11-03 6:56 PM (#75863 - in reply to #75861)

i'd look after some Roland AC-60 or AER Compact,
if it's too much then maybe Marshall AS50D, which sounds quite good but built in chorus on this amp is pure sh*t.
Personally, i use Line6 Flextone III Plus amp (because i used to play more on electric than on acoustic) and i've made few presets which sound really good.
Strings - i use bronze D'Addario EXP in my Legend. I've used Rotosound / Ernie Ball for a long time, but now i just can't imagine buying anything else.
STK
Posted 2007-11-03 7:11 PM (#75864 - in reply to #75861)

g8r and LBJ: Thanks for your input. Kind of realized that there won't be just one right answer but did not realize there are so many amp brands. Never used steel string D'Addario but will definitely try.
This is a great Fan Club!
G8r
Posted 2007-11-03 7:39 PM (#75865 - in reply to #75861)

yer welcome, STK. Stick around, the board's slow tonight (lotsa people partying or gigging) but expect more advice to come.
STK
Posted 2007-11-03 7:48 PM (#75866 - in reply to #75861)

Not sure I can take more inputs, g8r. Getting already confused a bit with the selection. Was hoping for one amp suggestion and likewise with the string. But sound is so personal...
Recently built a DIY amp in Japan for my listening room. Quite a serious audiophile. Are there DIY kit for acoustic guitar amps?