Any issues with early Breadwinners?
muso.greg
Posted 2016-07-07 9:18 AM (#526515)
Subject: Any issues with early Breadwinners?

The are a couple of Breadwinners on fleabay at present from sellers that ship to Australia. I'm watching the auctions - they usually go for more than I an pay (the shipping is a deal killer!) but I keep trying.

Is there anything I should be careful of? Both appear to be early models.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
numbfingers
Posted 2016-07-07 10:57 AM (#526517 - in reply to #526515)
Subject: RE: Any issues with early Breadwinners?

The black one has a replaced switch and is missing some screws on the pickguard. You have to wonder who was in there and what they did. Most guitar repairmen and eBay sellers don't understand the preamp. The knobs might be beat up and they're hard to find. The seller's hype doesn't impress me much.

The white one looks pretty nice and is an early one with the output jack on the body. I've had it on my watch list, but they always go for more than the bottomfeeder price I'm willing to pay.

-Steve W.

muso.greg
Posted 2016-07-07 6:57 PM (#526527 - in reply to #526515)
Subject: Re: Any issues with early Breadwinners?

Thanks for the comments. I had wondered about the screws and switch on the black one... If someone knew what they were doing it is a pretty simple thing to find a couple of suitable screws (assuming the ones that were in there were not usable again for some reason). The switch... who knows?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-07-08 1:02 AM (#526530 - in reply to #526515)
Subject: RE: Any issues with early Breadwinners?

Totally agree with the above comments.

The white one is early and looks in good shape. The tuners are intact, but I find it odd the only picture missing is of the battery cover. Likely just an oversight, but an odd picture to leave out. It has the early etched plate(s) rather than embossed. Assuming all else is fine, the pickups were mounted to the bracket with double-sided foam, and if haven't disconnected... they will. It's not a biggy, just age.

The black one I would want to know more about. It's a little later than the white one, but still with toroidal pickups. However, it's pretty tough to wire in an after market switch which makes me wonder if there is a pre-amp in there at all. they were often removed back then. I would want to know about that.

muso.greg
Posted 2016-07-08 11:00 AM (#526537 - in reply to #526515)

Thanks for the input. The white one is already close to my budget... maybe next time. Too many issues to deal with on the black one with out photos of "under the hood' - not forthcoming.
hippychip
Posted 2016-07-20 6:15 PM (#526783 - in reply to #526515)

I have had zero issues with my 1974, and I have owned it since 1979. It is completely stock with the exception of the chrome pickguard which was added before I got it. I replaced the foam sometime in the mid '80s. If you buy one make sure the electronics are intact (especially the pre-amp) Headstock breaks are common because of the thin profile, but if properly repaired won't cause any problems. Happy hunting!

(790.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 790.jpg (48KB - 1 downloads)