Get your affairs in order
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2016-03-04 3:16 PM (#522685)
Subject: Get your affairs in order

That's what the doctor told me yesterday. Turns out I have terminal cancer. They won't give me a timeline but they did say it is "very advanced" so I'm guessing it might be weeks, maybe months if I'm lucky.

So anyway, you know how sometimes someone on an internet forum suddenly disappears and you wonder what happened to them? Well I didn't want you to wonder. And I wanted to thank you all for the good times. I've met many of you in person and had long phone or email conversations with others. I consider you all my friends. It's been a lot of fun.

I'm truly OK with this. I think no one on earth has ever lived a happier life than I have. 61 glorious years of family, friends, music, and just plain fun. And I have faith in my Lord so I know where I'm going when I leave here. It's all good and I am truly happy and at peace.

Jarrett is going to take over the shop so please, if you're ever in South Dakota, stop by and see him. You can tell funny stories about me.

So, I will check back on this thread to thank you for your condolences, but for the most part I'm just going to lay low. You don't need a blow-by-blow account of my "progress" in this thing and I won't give one. If the spelling gets a little rough it's because of the pain meds (Gotta love those pain meds!) And honestly, I'm doing fine psychologically and emotionally so please don't worry about me.

OK, I guess that's it for now. Love you all...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-03-04 3:21 PM (#522686 - in reply to #522685)
Subject: Re: Get your affairs in order

Well Cancer Sucks!!... I just wanted to put that out there.
d'ovation
Posted 2016-03-04 3:28 PM (#522688 - in reply to #522685)

Canterbury, we have never met but I always enjoyed reading your insightful posts. I hope your battle will go as well as it can possibly go.
Beal
Posted 2016-03-04 3:46 PM (#522689 - in reply to #522685)

We will write songs about you in your honor. You are handling this with class. Just like Glen Campbell. We love you.
DanSavage
Posted 2016-03-04 3:55 PM (#522690 - in reply to #522685)

Alison,

It was a real pleasure to meet you and play together in your shop last year.

Dan
ProfessorBB
Posted 2016-03-04 3:59 PM (#522691 - in reply to #522685)

So glad we have our Rocky Racoon get-together memories from a few years ago. My prayers are with you, Alison.
ksdaddy
Posted 2016-03-04 4:41 PM (#522692 - in reply to #522685)

We've never met but I've very much appreciated your stories about the Moosup factory. Having lost my first wife in 2011 to cancer I have a feeling for those around you. They...they KNOW what's happening but if they're like me, there was a lot of denial. Start giving stuff away now so you'll know it gets to the right person. And please don't make the mistake Tammie made...she didn't tell me what happened to her wedding ring. Did it get lost? Stolen? Hidden? Swapped for a gram of weed? Please don't hold anything back with them. By the time they think of the questions it will be too late. Keep the meds flowing but also the tape recorder...or camcorder...or camera. They will wish they had more. Tell them firsthand from me, DO NOT WASTE ONE SECOND. SHE'S NOT GOING AWAY ON VACATION. Spend every waking minute with her if you can. Tell them I said so.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2016-03-04 4:49 PM (#522693 - in reply to #522685)

I second what Bill posted. Class.
Damon67
Posted 2016-03-04 5:00 PM (#522694 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, you're one of the nicest people I know. I never have made it out to thank you properly for the coffee, it really blew my mind that you would do something like that. We were planning our drive to Kansas next year with a stop over in Hot Springs to see you.

I still will, either way.

Peace & Love
Damon
Mario
Posted 2016-03-04 5:08 PM (#522695 - in reply to #522685)
Subject: RE: Get your affairs in order

All the best to you on your on-going battle/fight. Your strength is inspirational.
Nancy
Posted 2016-03-04 5:27 PM (#522697 - in reply to #522694)

So this is what it feels like to be gut-punched...

Alison, you have been like a Sister here for me, you are Family. You made me feel welcome, and were the first one to tease with me! You are like that Sister that I adore and strive to be like, intelligent, fun, easy to love and be around, even though you know you will never be what she is, you are so Proud of her Spirit, Wisdom and Independence.

If you want to talk, you have my email, send me your phone number, and we can talk anytime. We all hope that we made a difference, that we made someone's life a little bit better, you are lucky in that you will never have to wonder that. You know that you made that difference, in so many ways, and so many times, in so many lives.

I Love you Lady, and want to Thank You for the pleasure and joy that you brought to my Life!

Edited by Nancy 2016-03-04 5:36 PM
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2016-03-04 5:33 PM (#522698 - in reply to #522685)

See how great this is? All of you wonderful people saying all those wonderful things about me! I feel like Huck Finn when he stood in the balcony for his own funeral.

Seriously though, thank you all for the kind words. Great big hugs to all of you.
Nancy
Posted 2016-03-04 5:56 PM (#522699 - in reply to #522698)

CanterburyStrings - 2016-03-04 5:33 PM

See how great this is? All of you wonderful people saying all those wonderful things about me! I feel like Huck Finn when he stood in the balcony for his own funeral.

Seriously though, thank you all for the kind words. Great big hugs to all of you.

You are Wonderful Alison! Thank You for allowing us to say Goodbye to you, so many times, we wished we had just had the opportunity to tell someone how much they meant to us, and we didn't have it. Even now you show your strength, love, and selflessness, by granting us the rare opportunity to share with you now, so that we don't have those regrets later. You are incredibly Incredibly Rare, and Incredibly Brave, Thank You! <3 <3 <3
Beal
Posted 2016-03-04 6:06 PM (#522700 - in reply to #522685)

Even though I haven't seen you in 34 years......

Here's To You

Had a good friend turn into a ghost
And another had a stroke out in the coast
And what I really miss the most
Is not having them here for this toast

There are friendships that span eternal time
They last forever they never loose their line
No matter how twisted the road may wind
So let's raise this glass of wine

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
We've been all down that line
Here's to you
For making it a good time

Enjoy every sandwich Warren Zevon said
These words have always stuck in my head
Life is hard you can sleep when you're dead
Take heed and do what he says

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
Here's to you

There are friends we cherish so much
Some how we fall apart through life's crunch
It's a shame, friendship means so much
So reach out and stay in touch

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
We've all been down that line
Here's to you
For makin it a good time

Edited by Beal 2016-03-04 6:12 PM
Weaser P
Posted 2016-03-04 6:37 PM (#522701 - in reply to #522685)

Allison, you made the OFC a better place for being a part of it and we will all remember that. You will be missed and never forgotten by your many friends here. God speed.
Cavalier
Posted 2016-03-04 6:47 PM (#522702 - in reply to #522685)

On to the next gig.... wish we had time to meet. Music helps, I played my mom on to her journey with my cello a few years ago, that I couldn't pick it up again for a couple is my fault. We did the home hospice thing with family, it was a better way to maximize the time. Bodies wear out but souls play on so take your chops with you!
Patch
Posted 2016-03-04 7:59 PM (#522706 - in reply to #522685)

I've always enjoyed our conversations, spoken and written, Alison. Be asssured of my prayers and my admiration for leaning on your faith. People keep saying you have class, but I'm not sure that's a good enough word. I don't know if there is a good enough word for people like you.

When you get where you're going, keep an eye on us every once in a while. We will surely be thinking of you.

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-03-04 8:36 PM (#522707 - in reply to #522685)

Aw... Alison. I never made it out to South Dakota.
Stay strong and Comfortable. That's what Pharmaceuticals are for.
Stop by here anyway. See ya' on the Other Side.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-03-04 8:56 PM (#522708 - in reply to #522706)

Hi, Alison,
I started to read your post, and immediately, I just broke down. I couldn't finish. This hits really too close to home for me. I have lost a grandmother (my Mom's mom) to cancer in 1974, an aunt to cancer in November 2015, and my older brother to cancer in 2011. Playing his favourite hymn at the funeral in 2011 was one of the most difficult things that I have ever done. My dear Mom, and her sisters have all been diagnosed as being pre-disposed to the breast cancer gene, through her late Mom. The one bright spot was/ is my cousin, who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1981, at age 20. Our local church prayed for her, and she was healed, and became the mother of 2 children. Do not lose hope, keep the faith, and love as you have always done. My prayers are with you, Alison.
Mike Seguin,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
360Ovation
Posted 2016-03-04 8:58 PM (#522709 - in reply to #522685)

Your shop is in Hot Springs? My wife is from Chadron, NE, just south of there, so I'm up in that neck of the woods (and Rapid), usually once a year. Something tells me I've been in your shop, maybe even bought some strings and eyed some O's on the wall. Are you just down the hill/road from the old VA Hospital?

Best wishes and prayers for your faith to stay strong. May God's grace hold you and keep you.

Mike
nerdydave
Posted 2016-03-04 11:19 PM (#522710 - in reply to #522685)

Whoa!! Not your average everyday post!! Like so many here I enjoyed what you had to offer this community -- your stories of the past and your expertise regarding guitars and Ovations in particular. Wishing you the best. I know you will treasure the time you have remaining to you!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-03-04 11:49 PM (#522711 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, I love you. I don't know what else to say. The trip out to your shop was one of the highlights of my travels. I have wanted to go back since. A good life that blessed others. Thank you for sharing yours.
Tony Calman
Posted 2016-03-05 1:33 AM (#522713 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, we never met although I called your store and talked to you many years ago to see if you sold and could ship strings. I figured that I would rather buy them from someone like you that had a store and was on the OFC.

You brought an energy to this site as I am sure you did (and do) to everyone around you.

When Nancy came on to the OFC I suggested that she should contact you...it was good to see that you and Nancy were able to become friends.

I have no advice to give you. I just want you to know that I value the time that you shared with us.
Tony
Slipkid
Posted 2016-03-05 2:02 AM (#522714 - in reply to #522713)

I'll always remember our little surprise visit

nerdydave
Posted 2016-03-05 8:34 AM (#522715 - in reply to #522685)

Great pic!!
AdamasW597
Posted 2016-03-05 8:44 AM (#522716 - in reply to #522685)

You are in my prayers. You know that you are loved and admired. You have my deepest sympathy.
cliff
Posted 2016-03-05 8:46 AM (#522717 - in reply to #522685)

WishingYou a PeacefulJourney.
stephent28
Posted 2016-03-05 9:00 AM (#522720 - in reply to #522700)

wow, just wow.

I am so glad that I got to come out for the Rocky Racoon fest and spend time with you and your wonderful store.  I have been trying to write something to express my feelings but was struggling with what my heart was saying.  Then I realized that Bill had said it better than I ever could.....so I am just reprinting his beautiful words and message because the feelings echo mine.  We will miss you but know you will be in a better place.  All my love.

Beal - 2016-03-04 5:06 PM 

Even though I haven't seen you in 34 years......

Here's To You

Had a good friend turn into a ghost
And another had a stroke out in the coast
And what I really miss the most
Is not having them here for this toast

There are friendships that span eternal time
They last forever they never loose their line
No matter how twisted the road may wind
So let's raise this glass of wine

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
Here's to you

Enjoy every sandwich Warren Zevon said
These words have always stuck in my head
Life is hard you can sleep when you're dead
Take heed and do what he says

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
Here's to you

There are friends we cherish so much
Some how we fall apart through life's crunch
It's a shame, friendship means so much
So reach out and stay in touch

Here's to you
You are a friend of mine
Here's to you
Throughout eternal time
Here's to you
We've all been down that line
Here's to you
For makin it a good time

arumako
Posted 2016-03-05 10:29 AM (#522721 - in reply to #522685)

CanterburyStrings - 2016-03-04 5:16 AM

So anyway, you know how sometimes someone on an internet forum suddenly disappears and you wonder what happened to them? Well I didn't want you to wonder. And I wanted to thank you all for the good times. I've met many of you in person and had long phone or email conversations with others. I consider you all my friends. It's been a lot of fun.

I am so sorry to hear the sad news, but am moved by your thoughtful and courageous thread, CanterburyStrings (Alllison). None of your OFC friends will have to worry about your disappearance, instead they (and I as an onlooker in the farthest eastern corner of the world) can be rest assured that you are alive with the Lord in eternity. That's a comforting thought, but I hope you don't mind my praying for you and your loved ones as you engage in this struggle for life.

And thanks for posting the nice pic, Slipkid. It helps to envision who I'm praying for and to put a face on the beautiful comments and memories that you all are sharing...
guitarwannabee
Posted 2016-03-05 10:58 AM (#522722 - in reply to #522685)

the lord needs a very special angel for a very special project of his.thoughts and prayers are with you.GWB
elginacres
Posted 2016-03-05 12:11 PM (#522723 - in reply to #522685)

Allison: I too will always cherish meeting you and receiving all your hospitality when my daughter and I got to spend the Rocky Raccoon event in Hot Springs. I wish you peace...they tell me the flipside is even better...and I hope they have Karmann Ghias there.
Mark
stonebobbo
Posted 2016-03-05 1:13 PM (#522724 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, I am so inspired by you. I pray I can face the next life with your grace and attitude when my time comes. You leave an incredible legacy.

One of the memories forever ingrained is following your joy in having your custom Adamas built. I happened to be at the factory when they were getting ready to install the 12th fret inlay ... they must've had a dozen sets laid out to be sure it was perfect because they were making it for you. You probably will never know how many souls you have touched.

When my Mom went terminal with her cancer, I had just gotten a new CD by Hootie and The Blowfish. They have a song titled I'm Going Home that really touched me. I had a chance meeting with the band at SFO a few weeks later and had a chance to tell them; they were so gracious and remarked that it was done to help them cope with saying goodbye for now. I think I'll go listen to it now.

Vaya con dios.
marenostrum
Posted 2016-03-05 1:22 PM (#522725 - in reply to #522685)

"Exegi monumentum aere perennius regalique situ pyramidum altius, quod non imber edax, non Aquilo inpotens possit diruere aut innumerabilis annorum series et fuga temporum. Non omnis moriar multaque pars mei uitabit Libitinam."
Oratius, Carmina III, 30.
I have raised a monument more permanent than bronze and loftier than the peaks of the regal Pyramids, that no devouring rain that corrodes,or fierce northerly gale has power to destroy, nor the immeasurable succession of years and the swift passage of time. I will not entirely die! and a large part of me will avoid the grave. ( Libitina was the goddess of death )

We live forever in the hearts of those who loved us.

Standingovation
Posted 2016-03-05 1:42 PM (#522726 - in reply to #522685)

I wish I had an ounce of your strength, class and kindness. Well done, and won't ne forgotten.
Darkbar
Posted 2016-03-05 2:07 PM (#522727 - in reply to #522685)

CanterburyStrings - 2016-03-04 4:16 PM

61 glorious years of family, friends, music, and just plain fun.

And who can really ask for more than that out of this crazy world, right? I'm glad that you are handling the diagnosis with such dignity and grace. You have always been a bit of an inspiration to me....now even more so. Keep on pickin' and a grinning, just as long as you can

Still, the news just plain sucks.
Weaser P
Posted 2016-03-05 2:12 PM (#522728 - in reply to #522685)

You missed spelling abilities, Dave.

(Sorry, folks, but I thought Allison might appreciate the levity.)

Edited by Weaser P 2016-03-05 2:17 PM
MWoody
Posted 2016-03-05 10:14 PM (#522733 - in reply to #522685)

Ma'am,
You are generous, graceful and brave.
FlySig
Posted 2016-03-05 10:23 PM (#522734 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, my heart is broken with this news. The Rocky Raccoon trip was a real highlight for both me and Sara. And then it was so enjoyable to come back several months later to pick up the Patriot and share a meal with you. I admire what you've done building a business in Hot Springs which has become a cultural center for the area, and brought the gift of music to so many young people there. I am surprised and thrilled that Jarrett is taking over the shop. What a great legacy!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Take care.
MusicMishka
Posted 2016-03-06 7:23 AM (#522736 - in reply to #522685)

Alison my friend, I'm left kind of numb with your news. I'm thankful for each phone conversation, message, guitar deal, and good thought we've shared over the last 10 years. We never know what each day will bring...a gift I think from above. How we handle the news that day brings truly shows what kind of individual we are. You my friend are a class act...I wish you freedom from pain, Godspeed and protection on your journey, and the knowledge that you have touched lives here in this journey and have made a real difference! Love you girl!
schroeder
Posted 2016-03-06 8:10 AM (#522737 - in reply to #522685)

This is very sad news. I wish you continued strength and peace on your journey.
My oncologist always used to say to me "Attitude is everything" and yours seems perfect.
My motto (if that's the word) was "Cancer may kill me but it's not going to ruin my life." Happy to see you taking the same view.
Enjoy living.
WillaMuse
Posted 2016-03-06 12:51 PM (#522742 - in reply to #522685)

<p>Allison, I am so devastated to read this. I hope you are comfortable and at peace, kind lady. We are all thinking of you. Beal's post said it best:  "Here's to you."  You have made a positive impression on all those whose paths you have crossed. God bless, you Darling. Thinking of you. Love, Willa</p>

Edited by WillaMuse 2016-03-06 12:52 PM
fillhixx
Posted 2016-03-06 2:58 PM (#522747 - in reply to #522685)

Love and hugs. You are, and remain, a vital part of the energy that makes our little (!?!) family a very special place in the Internet.

......and now, in proper OFC tradition, this thread simply MUST go sideways!
;-)
fillhixx
Posted 2016-03-06 3:02 PM (#522748 - in reply to #522685)

Three buddies were talking about death and dying.

One asked, "When you're in your casket and friends and family are mourning you, what would you like to hear them say about you?"

The first guy says, "I would like to hear them say that I was a great doctor of my time and a great family man."

The second man says, "I would like to hear that I was a wonderful husband and school teacher who made a huge difference in our children of tomorrow."

The last guy says, "I would like to hear them say LOOK, HE'S MOVING!!!"
CrimsonLake
Posted 2016-03-06 4:31 PM (#522749 - in reply to #522685)

Dear Allison - my son's and I often talk about the trip out to see you and the Rocky Raccoon crew. Your hospitality and enthusiasm were top notch. We will never forget you!
TAFKAR
Posted 2016-03-06 4:33 PM (#522750 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, that's awful news. I have always appreciated your warmth an input on this forum. I admire your grace and strength in facing this terrible illness. You will be sorely missed. I hope you can still chip in here from time to time, poor spelling and all.
tpa
Posted 2016-03-06 4:45 PM (#522751 - in reply to #522685)

Sad reading, Alison. Enjoy the time You have left and know that You have been loved.

Edited by tpa 2016-03-06 4:46 PM
leonardmccoy
Posted 2016-03-07 12:35 AM (#522755 - in reply to #522685)

Though as a new OFC member I didn't get a chance to know, I wish I did and I find it commendable that you didn't leave your friends wondering. I'm not sure I would have had as much strength, courage, and wisdom in your place.

Edited by leonardmccoy 2016-03-07 12:36 AM
jay
Posted 2016-03-07 10:36 AM (#522756 - in reply to #522685)

Terrible and sad news Allison, but selfishly, you speak to me. Clearly, there is a calling to embrace and be grateful in celebrating each day, in this brief period of time we call life. God Bless you Allison.

standing
Posted 2016-03-07 5:08 PM (#522767 - in reply to #522685)

Allison,

I'm not sure that a younger "me" would have believed that I would someday find myself reading an online posting from someone whom I've never met in person, yet which caused my eyes to tear-up, and left a little hole in my heart.

Maybe it's different for younger folks who have grown up with the internet, and who are content and comfortable with the odd anonymity they find online, but I find some aspects of modern communication to be downright surreal. We can now make personal connections with people in distant places, and in ways that were unimaginable just a couple of decades ago. Sometimes, (if we're lucky, and avoid the trolls) we find like-minded comrades and form genuine friendships that are every bit as strong as if we were all regulars at the local coffee shop (when there used to be local coffee shops.) The OFC is one of those rare places, and you are one of the biggest reasons that we all stop in here for coffee on a regular basis.

In the spirit of your courageous posting and positive attitude, please know that, although we are unavoidably saddened by the news, you've enriched many of our lives, you'll always be with us, and we look forward to any and every chance to "visit" with you again, whether here or in the next big gathering beyond. So, please, if and when you feel up to it, keep posting. I wouldn't worry about spelling and typos, most of us can't spell or type worth a darn anyway, (and we can't all blame it on our meds, either.)

Thank you for your brave and honest post, I hope you find some comfort and relief in the outpouring of respect, praise, friendship and love expressed here.

Peace…
Darkbar
Posted 2016-03-07 7:03 PM (#522770 - in reply to #522767)

That was extremely well said, standing.
arumako
Posted 2016-03-07 9:24 PM (#522772 - in reply to #522770)

Darkbar - 2016-03-07 9:03 AM

...Indeed...+1
Nancy
Posted 2016-03-07 9:37 PM (#522773 - in reply to #522770)

Darkbar - 2016-03-07 7:03 PM

+1
Nancy
Posted 2016-03-07 9:37 PM (#522774 - in reply to #522770)

Sorry for the double post...

Edited by Nancy 2016-03-07 9:39 PM
Stuart Miller
Posted 2016-03-07 11:13 PM (#522778 - in reply to #522685)

<p>Alison, having just buried my Uncle (mum's brother) today this hits close to hear your news, but I feel privileged that you chose to share it with us here. Very classy lassie!</p><p>We haven't had too many interactions over the years, but I have always respected the positivity and encouragement you have offered others who gather here through our shared love of music and these beautiful instruments. May I wish you joy in every moment from here to the transition and I pray for strength for those you leave behind that they be comforted by their shared memories.</p>

Edited by Stuart Miller 2016-03-07 11:14 PM
alpep
Posted 2016-03-08 10:17 AM (#522784 - in reply to #522685)

sending much love to you allison

and shedding a tear.....(several)
Designzilla
Posted 2016-03-08 10:08 PM (#522793 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, like many here, although we've never met I feel that I've come to know you through your posts. I am in awe of your strength and grace at this difficult time. But from all your words on the OFC, it just seems to fit. I wish you all the best, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for being here and sharing so much for so long. You have touched many who never had the pleasure of actually meeting you. Take care.
PEZ
Posted 2016-03-11 5:45 PM (#522851 - in reply to #522685)

I'm so sorry to hear that I proudly still wear the T-shirt I got from you.
cholloway
Posted 2016-03-12 4:07 PM (#522878 - in reply to #522685)

Peace be with you Allison. God Bless.
AstroDan
Posted 2016-03-14 7:57 PM (#522933 - in reply to #522767)

standing - 2016-03-07 3:08 PM Allison, I'm not sure that a younger "me" would have believed that I would someday find myself reading an online posting from someone whom I've never met in person, yet which caused my eyes to tear-up, and left a little hole in my heart. Maybe it's different for younger folks who have grown up with the internet, and who are content and comfortable with the odd anonymity they find online, but I find some aspects of modern communication to be downright surreal. We can now make personal connections with people in distant places, and in ways that were unimaginable just a couple of decades ago. Sometimes, (if we're lucky, and avoid the trolls) we find like-minded comrades and form genuine friendships that are every bit as strong as if we were all regulars at the local coffee shop (when there used to be local coffee shops.) The OFC is one of those rare places, and you are one of the biggest reasons that we all stop in here for coffee on a regular basis. In the spirit of your courageous posting and positive attitude, please know that, although we are unavoidably saddened by the news, you've enriched many of our lives, you'll always be with us, and we look forward to any and every chance to "visit" with you again, whether here or in the next big gathering beyond. So, please, if and when you feel up to it, keep posting. I wouldn't worry about spelling and typos, most of us can't spell or type worth a darn anyway, (and we can't all blame it on our meds, either.) Thank you for your brave and honest post, I hope you find some comfort and relief in the outpouring of respect, praise, friendship and love expressed here. Peace…

Perfect!

Allison

I've also never had the pleasure of meeting you. I feel this personally because of my own wifes struggles for the last 4 years.

Your dignity and courage are an inspiration and please know that sometimes bad things happen to very good people.

Dan

Carl in LA
Posted 2016-03-17 11:17 PM (#523014 - in reply to #522685)

Such a kind and warm message soothes the cold blow that comes with the word terminal.

Peace and love back to you.

Edited by Carl in LA 2016-03-17 11:18 PM
BillÆ
Posted 2016-03-25 5:04 PM (#523148 - in reply to #522685)

+1
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-03-27 4:14 PM (#523210 - in reply to #522685)

Dear Miss Alison..

We’ve never met or corresponded. This thread appeared just days past my joining the OFC, and after reading every single reply I have since pondered what it is I could possibly write to you under such a minor capacity within the scores of those here whom have known and cherished you with historically elevated esteem. Your life's count has obviously touched an amazing number of people with loving dignity and enduring impact.

Music and guitars aside, we all possess a human existence with unique constructions and paths, and I would like for you to know that yours has now crossed with mine in a manner I will continue to hold with intrepid respect by proxy of those here I can learn of you from.

I write this on a Sunday known for resurrection, and with hopes that a truth in that may eventually lead everyone to a fresh and graciously ongoing association. With this, I wish you the highest levels of pride and enlightenment as you move forward to savor the reward you have earned ahead of us.

With sincere admiration...

~Alan~
mbedard
Posted 2016-03-29 8:48 AM (#523244 - in reply to #522685)

We never met. But in my years as a member of this forum only one person has ever PM'd me out of the blue, and it was just to say "Hey cool guitar! Hope you have a blast playing it and making music for many years to come!" That was you CS. Totally put a smile on my face that day, and as I recall it was a day I really needed one.

I'll keep on playing that Millennium and smiling when I think of your comments. And as was already said here much more eloquently than I ever could, your perspective is absolutely amazing and could only come from someone who has lived a full and happy life. Wishing you peace and happiness on your next adventure...
MWoody
Posted 2016-03-29 9:31 PM (#523260 - in reply to #522685)

So FedEx says it arrived at the shop today. I talked with Garret on Friday and he was sure that this would bring a big smile to Alison when she sees it. I've never been more broken hearted yet at the same time proud of being a part of this group.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=44&photoid=5674

Edited by MWoody 2016-03-29 9:34 PM

(Alison Swan.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Alison Swan.jpg (78KB - 1 downloads)
Nancy
Posted 2016-03-29 9:39 PM (#523261 - in reply to #523260)

Bless Your Heart MWoody....

Well Deserved, Beautifully done.
BanjoJ
Posted 2016-03-29 9:39 PM (#523262 - in reply to #522685)

Very well deserved.
Slipkid
Posted 2016-03-30 7:08 AM (#524265 - in reply to #522685)

Here's to you Allison.
Weaser P
Posted 2016-03-30 7:21 AM (#524266 - in reply to #522685)

Very nice.
arumako
Posted 2016-03-30 7:29 AM (#524267 - in reply to #522685)

Beautiful. Most appropriate...you're all class, MWoody.
Beal
Posted 2016-03-30 8:36 AM (#524268 - in reply to #522685)

Here's To You...............................................
Patch
Posted 2016-03-30 10:47 AM (#524270 - in reply to #522685)

Well done Woody.

Still praying ALison.

Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-03-30 11:13 AM (#524271 - in reply to #522685)

Thanks, Woody. And thanks, Alison. You deserve the honor.
stephent28
Posted 2016-03-30 1:27 PM (#524276 - in reply to #522685)

Beautiful
Designzilla
Posted 2016-03-31 10:06 PM (#524334 - in reply to #522685)

Perfect.
syrynx
Posted 2016-04-17 7:36 PM (#524640 - in reply to #522685)

Alison, though we've never interacted directly, your posts here have brightened my life, and I thank you!
cholloway
Posted 2016-04-18 10:06 AM (#524648 - in reply to #522685)

Most deserved. Peace.
MusicMishka
Posted 2016-04-18 12:26 PM (#524651 - in reply to #522685)

Couldn't go to a more deserving person...God bless Alison...prayers continued...
bvince
Posted 2016-04-19 10:32 AM (#524664 - in reply to #522685)

I'm sitting in the hospital as I post this, watching my wife and best friend of 40 years receiving her 4th chemo treatment for breast cancer. This is the first time I've been able to log on to the OFC and check up on what's been going on... Allison, I was broken hearted to hear of your diagnosis and that you are leaving so early in life. At the same time I was encouraged to hear of your spiritual condition, and that you are at peace. That is a blessing from God, and it will undoubtedly be a comfort as time goes on to your family and friends who understand what that means. I truly believe that real life BEGINS when we leave the confines of this body. Although many will experience the loss of you, I know you will experience everything the Lord has prepared for you in eternity. I look forward to running into you someday and sitting down to a very nice jam session. Kinda' wondering if we'll have Ovations there . ... God Bless You and your Family, and may your coming days be filled with love and joy.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-04-19 12:19 PM (#524665 - in reply to #522685)

I don't mean to make light of this serious situation, but Vince got me wondering if I would play better in heaven. I'm currently struggling with trying to fingerpick an old blues tune. That led to a thought that I might go to Hell where everyone would be forced to listen to me.
I'm going to a "celebration of life" on Sunday for a friend who recently passed away from cancer. Cancer has taken far too many of our friends and loved ones.
Slipkid
Posted 2016-04-19 2:28 PM (#524668 - in reply to #522685)

Vince,.... sorry to hear about your situation. I'm hoping for the best for your wife.
Waskel
Posted 2016-04-19 3:26 PM (#524670 - in reply to #524665)

Mark in Boise - 2016-04-19 10:19 AM

That led to a thought that I might go to Hell where everyone would be forced to listen to me.

Only if you play banjo or accordion.

cholloway
Posted 2016-04-19 5:08 PM (#524675 - in reply to #522685)

... or bagpipes!
Nancy
Posted 2016-04-19 6:31 PM (#524677 - in reply to #524675)

cholloway - 2016-04-19 5:08 PM

... or bagpipes!

WHOA!!!! Wait a minute!!! I LOVE Bagpipes!!!!
Come to think of it, I like Banjo too!
Darkbar
Posted 2016-04-20 6:00 AM (#524685 - in reply to #522685)

Mark, you're an attorney. .....you're going to Hell anyway, But bring the guitar....might as well make Satan pay for having you there.
Beal
Posted 2016-04-20 9:24 AM (#524687 - in reply to #522685)

You bringing an amp too?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-04-20 11:37 AM (#524689 - in reply to #522685)

You'll have to bring the amp, Beal. None of mine are loud enough. Although I think listening to me jam along to the 99 loop tracks on the G-dec might be appropriate punishment. I probably couldn't compete with screamo and I'd probably be forced to listen to rap. I'd hate that.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-04-20 1:17 PM (#524692 - in reply to #522685)

There's a link on our first page to an article about Alison and the OFC award.
stephent28
Posted 2016-04-20 3:25 PM (#524697 - in reply to #524692)

Mark in Boise - 2016-04-20 12:17 PM There's a link on our first page to an article about Alison and the OFC award.

Can't find it Mark.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.  Could you post the link here please?

Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-04-20 3:48 PM (#524699 - in reply to #524697)

stephent28 - 2016-04-20 2:25 PM

Mark in Boise - 2016-04-20 12:17 PM There's a link on our first page to an article about Alison and the OFC award.

Can't find it Mark.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.  Could you post the link here please?

No, it would take me too long to figure out how to post a link, but I was talking about www.ovationfanclub.com. I think if you click up in the left corner if this page it will take you to the main page and Miles has a nice introduction over on the right side. I tried to send a link to the news article, but I couldn't. It came up when I clicked on Alison's picture.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-04-20 3:55 PM (#524700 - in reply to #522685)

Here is the Hot Springs Star page.

stephent28
Posted 2016-04-21 8:06 AM (#524712 - in reply to #522685)

Thanks OMA!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2016-04-21 8:54 AM (#524714 - in reply to #522685)

Just seeing this and it hurts me. I want nothing but joy for you as you move forward. You're a good one.
stonebobbo
Posted 2016-06-16 2:27 PM (#526023 - in reply to #522685)

Seems as though Alison made her getaway. Godspeed.
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/communities/hot-springs/alis...
Damon67
Posted 2016-06-16 2:44 PM (#526024 - in reply to #522685)

She was one of the nicest people... period.

RIP Alison
dvd
Posted 2016-06-16 2:53 PM (#526027 - in reply to #522685)

For it is in giving that we receive; in pardoning that we are pardoned; and in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Peace, Alison.
Nancy
Posted 2016-06-16 3:56 PM (#526030 - in reply to #526027)

Godspeed Alison.

Thank You for sharing your time and love with us during your way too short stay.

Thank you Bobbo, for letting us know.
Darkbar
Posted 2016-06-16 5:33 PM (#526033 - in reply to #522685)

Age 61.....well, that sure sucks. She was a good person who deserved a much longer life.
tpa
Posted 2016-06-16 5:39 PM (#526034 - in reply to #522685)

Thanks for sharing stonebobbo. May she rest in piece.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-06-16 6:04 PM (#526035 - in reply to #522685)

Bye, Alison.
Hope to see ya' later.

DanSavage
Posted 2016-06-16 8:38 PM (#526043 - in reply to #522685)

Alison,

In the sweet by and by
We shall meet on that beautiful shore
TAFKAR
Posted 2016-06-16 10:11 PM (#526045 - in reply to #522685)

Sad. Thanks Bobbo.
cholloway
Posted 2016-06-17 10:03 AM (#526054 - in reply to #522685)

She will surely be missed by everyone who's life she touched. Godspeed.
elginacres
Posted 2016-06-17 11:39 AM (#526057 - in reply to #522685)

Bummer
FlySig
Posted 2016-06-17 1:34 PM (#526060 - in reply to #522685)

RIP, Alison. See you on the other side.

I had the pleasure of meeting her in person several times, and we traded some emails along the way. Though she wasn't wealthy or well connected, she certainly made a measurable contribution to her community in Hot Springs and to this Ovation community just by being a decent, caring person.
standing
Posted 2016-06-17 3:55 PM (#526063 - in reply to #522685)

RIP Alison…
Patch
Posted 2016-06-17 4:19 PM (#526064 - in reply to #522685)

I've been wondering about her. I hope I get to meet you in person someday Alison. I'm pretty sure I know where to find you. I just hope I can get there someday. Rest in peace.

For those of us left behind, here's a link to a song. (Click the title.) I wrote it for my mother when she passed.

So here's to you Alison.

I bet you have beautiful wings!

I Will Fly

words and music by Patrick McGuire

For Mom (Martha Adelle McGuire)

We walk a steep and winding road;

Crosses to bear along the way.

And yet despite the heavy load,

We hear a loving savior say:

“Be not afraid. You are my child.

And I am strength that will not fail.”

And as we cross the final mile,

Then he will lift the clouds' grey veil.

And I will fly.

Like an eagle I will rise!

The spirit's breath to fill my wings.

Soaring through the firmament, my voice will swell in sweet ascent with praise unto my Lord!

I will fly!

Hold to the promise of His love.

That deep inside our hearts have heard.

And they lightly rise above

And gladly take Him at his word.

And I will fly!

Like an eagle I will rise!

The spirit's breath to fill my wings.

Soaring through the firmament, my voice will swell in sweet ascent with praise unto my Lord!

I will fly!

Like an eagle WE will rise!

The spirit's breath to fill OUR wings.

He makes His face to shine on us; the transformation's glorious! Resplendent in our God!

We will fly!

We will fly!

We will fly!

ProfessorBB
Posted 2016-06-17 10:01 PM (#526068 - in reply to #522685)

Such a lovely lady and friend to the OFC. May you RIP, Allison. Please say hello to my Mom. I just lost her this week as well.
FlySig
Posted 2016-06-17 11:18 PM (#526069 - in reply to #522685)

Prof, I'm sorry for your loss of your mother.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2016-06-18 1:06 AM (#526071 - in reply to #526069)

A life well lived.
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-06-18 2:01 AM (#526072 - in reply to #522685)

Alison announced her fate shortly after I became a member here, so I never got the chance to interact with her directly. The admiration and praise I have read on these boards about her is a clear testament to the impact, dignity and grace of endearment she obviously possessed.. as well as to the spirit within the common fold she relayed to so many of the OFC membership. The values brought and instilled upon you by Alison will surely endure, and I offer my most sincere condolences to all here who have lost such a wonderful friend and partner.

~LOF~

Edited by Love O Fair 2016-06-18 2:04 AM
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-06-18 3:58 AM (#526073 - in reply to #522685)

Alison bought two guitars from me.
A Celebrity iDea CC54i, and a USA 1778T.
She gave them both away to different young'uns who were learning guitar.
Very Nice.

I also keep the PDF of the Rocky Racoon Memorial Black Hills Gathering Jam Book on my desktop for inspiration of songs to play.
BanjoJ
Posted 2016-06-18 4:21 AM (#526074 - in reply to #526073)

Old Man Arthur - 2016-06-18 8:58 PM
I also keep the PDF of the Rocky Racoon Memorial Black Hills Gathering Jam Book on my desktop for inspiration of songs to play.

As do I. Very sad to see her go.
Patch
Posted 2016-06-18 9:00 AM (#526075 - in reply to #522685)

Aw geez Prof! I' m so very sorry. My deepest condolences to your family.
Nancy
Posted 2016-06-18 9:52 AM (#526076 - in reply to #526068)

ProfessorBB - 2016-06-17 10:01 PM

Such a lovely lady and friend to the OFC. May you RIP, Allison. Please say hello to my Mom. I just lost her this week as well.

I am so very, very sorry Professor, it doesn't matter what age you are, losing your Mom is just plain hard! My thoughts and prayers to you and your Family.
Nancy
Posted 2016-06-18 10:03 AM (#526077 - in reply to #526064)

Patch - 2016-06-17 4:19 PM

For those of us left behind, here's a link to a song. (Click the title.) I wrote it for my mother when she passed.

Patch, that is Beautiful, Thank You for sharing it!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-06-18 11:39 AM (#526078 - in reply to #522685)

The best line from a eulogy that I ever heard should apply to Alison: "She lived her life with no regrets."
alpep
Posted 2016-06-18 8:37 PM (#526089 - in reply to #522685)

sigh.....
very sad.... I googled her name several times but guess I just missed the obit
Nancy
Posted 2016-06-19 10:09 AM (#526100 - in reply to #526078)

Mark in Boise - 2016-06-18 11:39 AM

The best line from a eulogy that I ever heard should apply to Alison: "She lived her life with no regrets."

+1, my Favorite too!
nerdydave
Posted 2016-06-19 4:04 PM (#526103 - in reply to #522685)

My mom died a while ago but we had no unfinished business so it was ok. Unfinished business will always bring ya down!! Make peace with those whom you love and live in the moment and you will be fine whenever comes yur time to cross that mysterious river of no return!
Beal
Posted 2017-01-30 4:05 PM (#532389 - in reply to #522685)

She told me that I had to get out and see the Needles Highway, that now she could do and say anything that she wanted and she said I had to do this. It was her gift to me in return for the few little things I did for her. So I wrote this to return that favor.

(D) Running (D/C#)down this Needles (D/B)Highway (Am7)
(G) Thinking of a (G/F#)friend who lives out this (Em)way
(D) Said I should ()come and ()see her()
(Em)Don’t wait too long, (F#m)time is short, (G)could you leave (A)today?

Been thirty years since I’ve seen her
Thirty years since I’ve said her name
I wonder how the time did treat her
Was it kind, Did she change, is she still the same?

(F#m) Dakota’s a long way from (Bm)anywhere
(G) Time for thinking on the (A)road
(Bm) Remembering the time that (C)we last talked
(Em) Saying goodbye, (F#m)with tears in eyes, (G)Oh so long ago(A)
lead break, G, A, D(walk down)Bm, Bm7, Em, F#m, G, A

Running down the Needles Highway
Thinking of my friend who passed today
She said I should come and feel this
earth and sky, open ears and eyes, see what it has to say

I take the last gift that she gave me
How much it means she’ll never know
Sunlight, pines, wide open spaces
Saying goodbye, with tears in eyes, so sad to see her go

(F#m) Dakota’s a long way from (Bm)anywhere
(G) Time for thinking on the (A)road
(Bm) Remembering the time that (C)we last talked
(Em) Saying goodbye, with tears in eyes, so sad to see her go

(D)running down that Needles Highway (run it)(4x)
(G)what a great (F#m)way to spend the (Em)day, (D)
ProfessorBB
Posted 2017-01-30 5:28 PM (#532390 - in reply to #522685)

At the Raccoon gathering some years ago, Alison introduced us to Jarret. He was just a teen then, but he ripped on his Tele. We jammed together for a couple hours after the concert. Good to have him here in Alison's memory. Please give him access to the general forums so more of us can comment on his posts.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-01-30 5:53 PM (#532393 - in reply to #522685)

I thought that was his name and looked back at the old posts to make sure. I got a bit choked up. That was a fun weekend.
FlySig
Posted 2017-01-30 8:16 PM (#532394 - in reply to #522685)

Jarret, what happened to Alison's custom longneck?
MWoody
Posted 2017-01-30 9:40 PM (#532396 - in reply to #522685)

Thank you Beal!
Any chance you have a link where we can hear it or will it take a road trip to Texas?

Hmm, road trip...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-01-30 10:51 PM (#532399 - in reply to #522685)

Beal, is that gonna show up on a cd?
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2017-01-30 11:01 PM (#532400 - in reply to #522685)

Yes, I'd love to hear it too.
Bluebird
Posted 2017-01-31 6:46 AM (#532404 - in reply to #522685)

Nice, Beal.

Beal
Posted 2017-01-31 8:40 AM (#532406 - in reply to #522685)

It will be on the next CD, the J & B Brothers. Should be out in a few months
AdamasW597
Posted 2017-01-31 10:06 AM (#532407 - in reply to #522685)

You're in my prayers.
Highway61
Posted 2017-02-05 10:40 AM (#532561 - in reply to #522685)

I'm not on this forum much, but I clicked on your thread, thinking it was going to be something figurative--perhaps, even a parody-- about guitars and life, and I'm overwhelmed by this news. Don't know you, but do know (I think--for who can really know until it actually happens to them) how profoundly devastating this would be.

I'm sick of heart.

I hope these waning days are days that see you receiving love from those around you, and I send you and yours my most heartfelt thoughts and wishes..

Jonmark Stone
Posted 2017-02-08 5:56 PM (#532655 - in reply to #522685)

A few of you don't seem to be up to speed on this... and very sorry for the bad news, but Alison passed last June. See page 4 of this thread for an obit.
Dad Roadie
Posted 2017-02-08 6:32 PM (#532656 - in reply to #532655)

I'm truly sorry and hope that I have not reopened any bad memories.
I don't get on here that often and didn't look at the dates.
I will remove the post immediately.
again I'm TRULY sorry
Dad Roadie
Nancy
Posted 2017-02-08 7:12 PM (#532658 - in reply to #532656)

Dad Roadie - 2017-02-08 6:32 PM

I'm truly sorry and hope that I have not reopened any bad memories.
I don't get on here that often and didn't look at the dates.
I will remove the post immediately.
again I'm TRULY sorry
Dad Roadie

Please don't have it removed Dad Roadie, each story about Alison's kindness and life keep her here with us!
We all get to know a little bit more about her, and see what an impact she made on so many lives. I enjoyed reading about how you knew her!
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-02-08 9:34 PM (#532660 - in reply to #522685)

Dad Roadie.. an honest mistake.. and it doesn't at all take away from the kind and true sentiment of your feelings. Jonmark Stone was simply passing along information. I totally agree with Nancy's reply and don't think Alison would mind one tiny bit that it was posted posthumously.

PS edit.. I'm getting tired of my current screen saver, so I hope you and your wife don't mind if I copy yours and use it for a while on my screen as well :-)

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-02-08 9:45 PM
nerdydave
Posted 2017-02-08 10:52 PM (#532662 - in reply to #522685)

Always good to remember and talk about those who have crossed that river!!
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2017-02-09 12:55 PM (#532674 - in reply to #522685)

Dad Roadie. Your story about Alison was perfect for this thread. No apologies necessary. Just thought you'd want to know what has transpired.