Hi There. Restoring 1127 GC Balladeer?
stash
Posted 2015-10-18 10:00 PM (#516336)
Subject: Hi There. Restoring 1127 GC Balladeer?

New here. I have a Glenn Campbell 1127 acoustic only made in 1981. It was the first guitar I ever purchased back in 1992 in a pawn shop.

It still looks good/plays well but could use some work to restore it's playability/sound potential and aesthetic.

I'd like to send to CT for factory refurb now that it's re-opening but it doesn't look that's available as of now.

I've considered listing it for sale and always stop myself from doing it.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this model is worth the trouble/expense?

If I classified condition as good to fair, anyone have an idea of the value?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Stash
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2015-10-19 11:05 AM (#516357 - in reply to #516336)
Subject: RE: Hi There. Restoring 1127 GC Balladeer?

stash - 2015-10-18 8:00 PM I'd like to send to CT for factory refurb now that it's re-opening but it doesn't look that's available as of now.

Hello stash, welcome.

They have been doing repair work continuously. Just get in touch with John Budny in customer service.

stash
Posted 2015-10-19 8:57 PM (#516394 - in reply to #516336)
Subject: Re: Hi There. Restoring 1127 GC Balladeer?

Thanks Damon. I sent an email to customer support today.
stash
Posted 2015-10-21 8:07 PM (#516494 - in reply to #516336)

Update: heard back from John B. I asked for info on process/capabilities, what to expect, ballpark costs. He seemed reluctant to get into any details and kept pointing to sending it to factory for eval and estimate. I understand that but it doesn't seem to make sense to incur shipping costs there and back and not have any info on what to expect. If it were a higher end guitar, I might consider it.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-10-21 8:33 PM (#516495 - in reply to #516336)

Hi Stash, that is a dilemma and totally understandable. I suggest you search around the forums to read the rave reviews from folks but to give you an idea... essentially if they do the work, it will be less expensive than likely anyone else, if you find anyone else, and it will be done correctly on top of that, and frankly, no one else has the proper tools to really work on an Ovation (specifically because of the round back). I know that doesn't help a lot, but I honestly can say in the 12+ years I have been listening to people who sent guitars back to get refurbished, I haven't heard or read one complaint, including myself. I had a 12 String that owned by a well known/respected musician in the area. At least a couple of times a year the foundation created in his honor has an event and someone plays that guitar. Well, unfortunately it had a crack where the headstock meets the neck with a chunk of wood missing. They didn't want a new neck, but at the same time, they didn't want the risk of it breaking in half in front of his widow at one of these events. So back to the factory it went with the same "we really need to see it." A few hundred bucks later and some shipping it was as good as new. The repair can only be found if you know where to look. That's my experience.

I have upgraded your account so you are a full member and can post in the main forum.