A few words from DW
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-18 7:15 AM (#508965)
Subject: A few words from DW

As I hinted in another thread, I have been in touch with folks from DW. Well, I have been somewhat cleared to reveal that it's not just anyone at DW but CEO Chris Lombardi. We've been exchanging emails and on his way back from Musikmesse yesterday once he hit LAX we spent nearly an hour and a half on the phone.

I'm still processing the details, some of which probably really shouldn't be on a public forum, but I think my first impressions are worth sharing.

After hearing his idea's and what he went through to get Ovation, and what DW is all about, I have this feeling that Ovation as a whole is getting a "reset" in time. The same idea's of building a quality product, being innovative, listening to the people that build and play the instruments, and focus on a quality product was like listening to John Budny, Kim Keller and Bill Kaman discuss how it was "back in the day" when Bill was running the show at Ovation.

A couple items of note. There are no "investment bankers" or the like involved. Ovation has been brought into the "family" as it were, as well as the other brands that were part of the deal such as Gretch, LP, etc.

An interesting comment about Takamine, as it was initially a possibility as part of the deal. A fine instrument, and certainly an easy money maker.... but... Takamine is not an instrument known for being hand crafted in the USA like DW drums are. Ovation was a match to their core values.

Regarding branding. The logo issue is getting a LOT of attention. And if anyone sees the logo on some of the paperwork/flyers in Germany... just ignor it and that's all I'll say on that. But, back to the topic, DW understands the seriousness of a Logo and branding. We agreed that the Fender O is NOT the way to go, but at the same time, the original logo needs an update. This was one of those "it feels like the brand is getting a reset" moments I had during the conversation. Chris explained to me the subtle but distinct differences in the DW logo's. (I hope I get this right, I didn't take notes) Essentially, black on white, white on black, and outlined. It's simple it's subtle, but if you know about it, you can tell everything you need to know about the drum set from across the room. He also saw Ovation as a "quality brand". Just like DW the least expensive DW kit is a QUALITY drum set, made with the same materials in the same place as the Highest end DW Kits. The "entry level" model... they have a different name PDP and they are priced as entry level and designed to be a little better than everyone else's entry level, but they are entry level. Sound familiar... like back in the day when Ovation was the quality name brand and Applause was a fine Instrument but it was the entry level model at the entry level price?

About the DW brand models... another "Ovation is getting a reset" moment. All of the price points of the DW models of Drums are made the same way, by the same people, in the same factory. So when someone buys a kit with the DW name on that tag, they know they are getting the same quality and workmanship from the same people that built the gorgeous Neil Peart drum sets like the "Time Machine" or the new "R40" kit built a few months ago. At the same time, and Chris acknowledged this is an ongoing challenge, when someone buys a PDP kit for a few hundred bucks (a DW kit starts as $1,500) it has to have enough quality and at least sound to make that bright-eyed kid maybe want to get a DW kit when they can. Again... Sound like a familiar plan from a guitar company we knew and loved about 20 years ago?

Chris knows what he got himself into. I detected notes of enthusiasm and excitement along with what-the-hell-did-I-get-myself into. He's got I believe three kids he's putting through college... he's motivated. But also, it was apparent, Fender was an equal opportunity offender. While we selfishly lament on the unspeakable things Fender did to our favorite instruments and our friends, they did those same, similar and maybe in some case worse things to the other brands that were under their umbrella as well. In any business transaction, be it buying a car or a house or a guitar, the seller is putting everything in the best light, and not saying a word about things that maybe they should say, but they fall under the category of "well, if they don't ask, we're not telling'em." Chris knows drums so he did fairly well of doing his part to counter the little "lies of omission" regarding the percussion brands. But he admittedly doesn't know guitars and he got bit in a few areas. It's part of business, and thankfully he has John, and Darren and a few others to help him out in CT.

When will we see guitars made in CT.. the answer is when they are built. And yes I typed CT as in Connecticut. California was the plan, but that plan changed, but there are some hurdles and they don't really involve that actual building of the guitars per say, but rather the paperwork and lawyers involved in building guitars, where they need to be built. On the other side, folks in Europe and Japan want guitars now. They want the import line, but they want better quality ones like they USED to be able to get from Ovation. You know, like I mentioned above... those entry level guitars that were nice guitars for the money?

I'm sure I'll think of some other things we talked about, like the open house when they get things up and running (don't tell Al) and a few other tidbits, but it was a nice chat. I'm sure if I repeated anything I shouldn't have I'll hear about soon enough. Oh yeah, there is that. Not only does the CEO of Ovation (I'm not sure he's actually used that title yet but I digress.. ) Chris has been reading these forums for awhile now. In his words we have it all, the good and the bad, but it's all here. But he's not the only one. As Patch noted in another thread, there are others reading as well. And I can assure you, it's more of a homework assignment than a curiosity. They have to start building guitars, and while some of the folks that have been building them all along are involved, it's all hands on deck to learn, incorporate and innovate.

The next few years will be an interesting time for Ovation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2015-04-18 7:25 AM (#508966 - in reply to #508965)
Subject: RE: A few words from DW

I can confirm everything in this, yet another hopeful, thread. But Miles had a little more clearance to divulge details than I did.

I especially wanted to pass on the tidbit about wanting the guitars to be built in CT. But was politely asked to keep that on the down-low until all the details could be worked out.

The only thing I feel comfortable saying with certainty is that DW is VERY SERIOUS about getting Ovation guitars up and running again in a good way.

Thanks for the update Miles. Keep'em coming DW!

AdamasW597
Posted 2015-04-18 8:37 AM (#508967 - in reply to #508965)
Subject: Re: A few words from DW

Great! (sigh of relief)
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-18 8:45 AM (#508968 - in reply to #508965)

Hoo-boy. A lot to digest. Posterity. I am hopeful, too, for the return of Ovation & Adamas guitars, though the realization & reality of a new instrument, in my hands, may be at the edge-of-the-envelope for my musical endeavors, & perhaps many of The Membership. Youth to be served, certainly. I suppose, though, "quality will out". We want The Old Magic, and that's what DW is aiming for, given their reconceptualization & reformulation, for a quality product.
Here's to The Future!
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-18 10:21 AM (#508970 - in reply to #508965)

Thank you SO much Miles!!! This is the Best Possible News!
Thank You for sharing it with us!! What a Great way to start the new day!

I am going to start saving my pennies, and selling not-so-gently-used body parts to save up for one of these New Ovations (did he mention anything about a Custom Shop?) Time to put my money where my mouth is, and start saving to help support our Brand and DW!

Having just finished the History of Ovation book, it is going to be something to watch the Company go back to what it was, and can be again. See the new history made, a new book written with the Ovation/Adamas created in the US CT again! Who says You Can't Go Home?

This is the Best News I have heard in aeons! Thank You Mr. Ovation!!

P.S. DW, Thank You for listening to us, and giving us our Guitars back! We wish you the Best of Luck in your new Enterprise, and are supporting you in your endeavors with Ovation/Adamas USA CT!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-18 10:35 AM
arumako
Posted 2015-04-18 11:54 AM (#508974 - in reply to #508965)

Mr. Ovation & Patch, thanks for the update/verification! It is so nice (and healing) to hear that the DW team recognize the aesthetic, artistic and business viability of Ovation. But keeping the order pipeline filled while improving Asian manufacturing quality AND rebuilding US production at CT is a tall order for any company. The prices of the new USA manufactured Os and As might be higher than any of us hoped for; but if DW's drums are any indication, the quality and craftsmanship will be well worth the wait and the pennies.

I can't wait to see what comes off the US production lines. I can't wait to visit my local music stores to see USA Os & As displayed with Martins, Taylors and whatever brand guitars...I'll certainly play them all (trying out guitars at the music store is just sheer fun), BUT I already know which one I'm gonna buy...well, hopefully the A, but depending on how much I've got saved up maybe the O. Either way, somehow, I know I'm not going to be disappointed. Good news indeed!

Edited by arumako 2015-04-18 11:56 AM
marenostrum
Posted 2015-04-18 12:39 PM (#508975 - in reply to #508965)

Thanks for sharing this information. I'm more then happy to read about DW plan for Ovation.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-18 5:31 PM (#508979 - in reply to #508965)

Hey Miles, tell Chris to go back thru the archives. There's priceless information in there........
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-18 6:07 PM (#508981 - in reply to #508965)

Yeah, Paul. You're right. I just don' wanna drive, lookin' in the rear-view mirror. Tradition & culture don't pay the bills.
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-18 6:09 PM (#508982 - in reply to #508965)

OOPS! Probably wrong Chris.
sorry......
FlySig
Posted 2015-04-18 8:58 PM (#508988 - in reply to #508974)

arumako - 2015-04-18 10:54 AM
The prices of the new USA manufactured Os and As might be higher than any of us hoped for; but if DW's drums are any indication, the quality and craftsmanship will be well worth the wait and the pennies.

We got spoiled with the silly low prices of the LX guitars in the mid 2000's. Really, a new USA built LX could be had for $700! Word was the factory was losing money on every USA built guitar. Comparable guitars from other manufacturers were going for 2x to 4x the price.
FlySig
Posted 2015-04-18 8:59 PM (#508989 - in reply to #508965)

If Connecticut doesn't work out for some reason, Utah is a great place to put a manufacturing facility....
Standingovation
Posted 2015-04-18 11:06 PM (#508993 - in reply to #508965)

Miles, thanks for the great update and keeping the OFC tribe well informed.
arumako
Posted 2015-04-19 8:07 AM (#508995 - in reply to #508988)

FlySig - 2015-04-18 10:58 AM

arumako - 2015-04-18 10:54 AM
The prices of the new USA manufactured Os and As might be higher than any of us hoped for; but if DW's drums are any indication, the quality and craftsmanship will be well worth the wait and the pennies.

We got spoiled with the silly low prices of the LX guitars in the mid 2000's. Really, a new USA built LX could be had for $700! Word was the factory was losing money on every USA built guitar. Comparable guitars from other manufacturers were going for 2x to 4x the price.

Hard to believe that LXs were selling for such low prices! That's gotta be poor (or no) marketing strategy on Fxxxxxs part and poor retailing strategy on the part of companies like GC and other volume retailers. Somewhat akin to an insult if you think about it. I mean, I love good deals as much as the next guy, but losing money every time you sell a guitar...that's "silly" indeed. Let's not go there again!

Edited by arumako 2015-04-19 8:08 AM
FlySig
Posted 2015-04-19 9:52 AM (#509001 - in reply to #508965)

My guess is they were chasing market share at any cost. That seems to be the modern American business model. Slash costs and build market share. Who cares if the cost-cutting means a crappy product, the customer won't notice the difference until after they've spent their money.

Towards the end there was a significant price increase on the US made guitars. Too late though to turn things around. By then they'd confused everyone as to what was Ovation, Celebrity, or Applause.
Waskel
Posted 2015-04-19 10:02 AM (#509003 - in reply to #508965)

During that period I bought 3 brand new LX models - 6778LX, 1777LX, 6758LX. Not one of them cost over $700. Insanity.

moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-19 10:24 AM (#509006 - in reply to #508965)

Over the years I have purchased 7 new Ovations. If the company comes out with a new, great model, I'd be thrilled to do it again.
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-19 4:39 PM (#509015 - in reply to #508965)

I'm two behind Moody. I'll feel honour bound to try and catch up.
AussieJames
Posted 2015-04-19 11:56 PM (#509022 - in reply to #508965)

This is great news!!

AJ
d'ovation
Posted 2015-04-20 12:58 AM (#509024 - in reply to #509006)

immoody - 2015-04-19 9:24 AM Over the years I have purchased 7 new Ovations. If the company comes out with a new, great model, I'd be thrilled to do it again.

You must have been very lucky, or was this very common? I thought that new LX sold for at least double that amount. Most used LX on eBay NOW sell above 700...

Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-20 8:36 AM (#509032 - in reply to #508965)

Great news, thanks Miles! It's great to hear DW is taking the time to do it right.

Some things are sure to change about the brand. They have to for Ovation to move forward. But DW really seems to share the core values of the original Ovation company and I trust them to make the right kind of changes to revive and revitalize the brand!

I am starting my new O GAS fund today, so I'm ready to support them with my wallet as well as my words!

Thanks Miles, thanks DW, and f@ck fender!
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-04-20 8:56 AM (#509033 - in reply to #508965)

Thanks Patch and Miles for keeping us as informed. Sure appreciate it.
DanSavage
Posted 2015-04-20 9:50 AM (#509034 - in reply to #509001)

FlySig - 2015-04-19 7:52 AM

My guess is they were chasing market share at any cost. That seems to be the modern American business model. Slash costs and build market share. Who cares if the cost-cutting means a crappy product, the customer won't notice the difference until after they've spent their money.

No, that's the Walmart business model. With that business model, the price gets so low that the customer knows that if something breaks they can simply throw it away and buy another brand new one. Sort of like the $100 lawn mowers Wally sells. When it's that cheap you can use it for a season, then if it doesn't start in the spring you kick it out to the curb and go buy a brand new one.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-20 10:27 AM (#509038 - in reply to #508965)

I guess I've only bought 5 new Ovations, but I had a lot of catching up to do between 1977 and 2005, when I found this site. We had some people over this weekend and I showed them the guitar room before they left. 11 non-guitar players, including my wife, but they all seemed interested in the short history of Ovation, asking questions about the round backs, the multi-holes and the carbon fiber tops. Too bad I had too much wine and not enough practice lately to show them how great they sound.
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-20 11:29 AM (#509043 - in reply to #508965)

Sure hope that Al is a dealer.
alpep
Posted 2015-04-20 12:13 PM (#509046 - in reply to #508965)

only time will tell.....
i had to jump through hoops of fire to get gibralter parts shipped to me.....
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-20 12:39 PM (#509047 - in reply to #508965)

All I'm hoping for is that DW wants to make a great sounding acoustic guitar, not just a stage guitar that sounds great plugged in. But it's going to be interesting to see who they indentify as their target market. It may not be old farts like me, but rather the up and coming hot dogs. We'll see......
Beal
Posted 2015-04-20 1:16 PM (#509048 - in reply to #508965)

But the old farts are the ones who have the money and are willing to buy the big buck product
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-20 2:01 PM (#509051 - in reply to #509048)

cwk2 - 2015-04-20 1:16 PM

But the old farts are the ones who have the money and are willing to buy the big buck product

The Old Farts are going to be the hardest sell too. They know these guitars inside and out, the history, the people who made them. The new guitars will have to meet or beat the quality of the ones made in the Heyday for them to jump on the bandwagon.

My understanding is that F***** never gave a rodent's rump, My hopes are high for DW!

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-20 2:05 PM
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-20 2:17 PM (#509052 - in reply to #508965)

This is one old fart who is waiting with baited breath. From what I hear about DW I am pretty certain the quality will be good and I KNOW I'm going to have to have at least one. And I've been such a good girl lately. I think I've only bought one new guitar in the past year or so.

Now, aside from that I'd like to say that one of the reasons Ovations of old were so good was because we CARED. Not only did the musicians who worked there care, but even the non-musicians cared because Charly and that other guy treated us right. We were like family and we really WANTED to put out a quality product. If DW treats their employees as well as we were treated they will have employees who are dedicated, loyal, and willing to do their very best every day.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-20 2:47 PM (#509053 - in reply to #509052)

Well put Canterbury Strings, well put!
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-04-20 3:29 PM (#509054 - in reply to #508965)

Great news. Helps compensate for this being Monday!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-20 3:32 PM (#509055 - in reply to #508965)

Another flash from the past. This thread is bringing out the old timers. That may be a good sign for DW. I think I zipped right past the "old farts who have money" stage, though.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-04-20 3:35 PM (#509056 - in reply to #508965)

I was tipped off to the thread by a good friend who has been lurking for a lefty. Kinda tuned out after the Fender episode. I'm an older fart who doesn't have money, but has four nice Ovations. That keeps me interested. I hope all is well with you.
stephent28
Posted 2015-04-20 3:39 PM (#509057 - in reply to #508965)

Wow paul B.....been a while.
Good to see you back. Hope you are doing well.
MusicMishka
Posted 2015-04-20 4:41 PM (#509062 - in reply to #508965)

Fingers crossed...
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-20 4:51 PM (#509064 - in reply to #508965)

Things are fine here, just not enough time to play. Some things stay the same.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-04-20 5:30 PM (#509065 - in reply to #508965)

Mark - Busy can be good. I've heard that it's still possible to occasionally make an honest living as an attorney. ;-)
Waskel
Posted 2015-04-20 6:06 PM (#509066 - in reply to #509065)

But is it possible to make a living as an honest attorney?

moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-20 6:47 PM (#509067 - in reply to #508965)

Isn't using "honest" in the same sentence as "attorney" a contradiction in terms?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-20 6:48 PM (#509068 - in reply to #509066)

Waskel@Work - 2015-04-20 4:06 PM

But is it possible to make a living as an honest attorney?

Of course, maybe this is why MIB can't afford to fix his lawn (some of us still remember Mark).........
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-20 10:29 PM (#509079 - in reply to #508965)

Just like the old days. The old farts come out for the easy lawyer bashing jokes.
We sold that house recently and the new owners wanted the names of the people who took care of the yard and pool. We gave them our names. They haven't hired us yet. I might make more money at that job.

Edited by Mark in Boise 2015-04-20 10:36 PM
BanjoJ
Posted 2015-04-20 10:54 PM (#509080 - in reply to #509079)

Mark in Boise - 2015-04-21 3:29 PM

Just like the old days. The old farts come out for the easy lawyer bashing jokes.

I'm wondering what sort of attention a banjo playing lawyer would attract.

ps I'm not a lawyer.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-20 11:58 PM (#509082 - in reply to #509079)

Mark in Boise - 2015-04-20 8:29 PM

We sold that house recently and the new owners wanted the names of the people who took care of the yard and pool. We gave them our names. They haven't hired us yet. I might make more money at that job.

Hey, if it's belt high and over the plate, what do you expect?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-21 10:42 AM (#509090 - in reply to #509080)

BanjoJ - 2015-04-20 9:54 PM

Mark in Boise - 2015-04-21 3:29 PM

I'm wondering what sort of attention a banjo playing lawyer would attract.

ps I'm not a lawyer.

I know a couple. They don't think the banjo jokes are funny. I read an article in the paper today about a banjo toss. The winner through his banjo 85 feet and got a new banjo for it. What's the point of that?
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-04-21 10:49 AM (#509091 - in reply to #508965)

What do you say to someone who can hit a dumpster with a banjo at 85 feet? Great shot!

Mark: I apologize, kinda, for opening the door to cheap attorney jokes. My bad!
SOBeach
Posted 2015-04-21 12:28 PM (#509098 - in reply to #509090)

Mark in Boise -  ...The winner through his banjo 85 feet and got a new banjo for it. What's the point of that?

well... if there were a dozen entrants tossing banjos, it's very likely that there are eleven fewer playable banjos in the world now.

Devious contest! 

CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-21 12:35 PM (#509100 - in reply to #508965)

Hey, I'm hoping that since DW makes great drums, and since banjo heads are basically drum heads, when they start making Ovations again they'll come out with an Ovation banjo. They can send the first one to me and I'll be happy to test it for them.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-21 1:56 PM (#509107 - in reply to #508965)

I just noticed I wrote "through" instead of "threw". I guess I deserve all the abuse you can throw at me.
SOBeach
Posted 2015-04-21 2:25 PM (#509111 - in reply to #509107)

Mark in Boise - I just noticed I wrote "through" instead of "threw". I guess I deserve all the abuse you can throw at me.

It's knot like the rest of us don't mispeel a word or too now end than. 

Bad Spellers Of The World...

UNTIE !!   

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-04-21 2:32 PM (#509112 - in reply to #508965)

PaulB - 2015-04-21 8:49 AM

What do you say to someone who can hit a dumpster with a banjo at 85 feet? Great shot!

Watching Bluegrass Underground on PBS, I heard someone define "Perfect Pitch" as
"When you throw an Accordion into a dumpster and it lands on a Banjo."

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2015-04-21 2:35 PM
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-21 3:20 PM (#509116 - in reply to #508965)

Yeah but if you throw a piano down a mineshaft you get A flat minor.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-21 3:36 PM (#509117 - in reply to #509116)

LMBO!!!!!!

Keep the giggles coming! I LOVE it!!!!
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-21 4:44 PM (#509122 - in reply to #508965)

I thought perfect pitch is when the banjo goes in the dumpster and relative pitch is when it bounces off the side...
Slipkid
Posted 2015-04-21 5:24 PM (#509126 - in reply to #509122)

Nothing wrong with a little Bluegrass.

https://youtu.be/1iI5jzbDvFE
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-21 6:24 PM (#509129 - in reply to #509126)

Brad Durasa - 2015-04-21 5:24 PM

Nothing wrong with a little Bluegrass.

https://youtu.be/1iI5jzbDvFE

Holy Buckets!!!
I love that song, and he did it more than justice! All By Himself!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Patch
Posted 2015-04-21 7:13 PM (#509132 - in reply to #509100)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-04-21 1:35 PM ... they'll come out with an Ovation banjo.

O'banjo Unchained?

Sounds like a vulgar, western movie or something...

muzza
Posted 2015-04-22 3:29 AM (#509147 - in reply to #508965)

A mate of mine went to have lunch in the local pub and after a little while, he realised that he'd left his very expensive (yes, they exist) banjo on the back seat of his car in full view.

He raced back toward the car and when it came into view, he thought his worst fears had been realised when he saw that the back window had been smashed. 

When he got to the car, there were 5 more banjos in there...

muzza
Posted 2015-04-22 3:30 AM (#509148 - in reply to #508965)

Personally, I'd take a well played banjo over a f@ckin ukelele any day...

BanjoJ
Posted 2015-04-22 4:39 AM (#509150 - in reply to #509148)

muzza - 2015-04-22 8:30 PM

Personally, I'd take a well played banjo over a f@ckin ukelele any day...

+1000
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-22 10:23 AM (#509171 - in reply to #509150)

From now on, I am just going to assume, that I will be spraying my screen with Mt Dew when I come here, and am going to try to remember not to have anything 'snortable' within arms reach!! You guys are hilarious!
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-22 12:15 PM (#509186 - in reply to #508965)

You do know what a banjo and a lawsuit have in common, don't you?

They're both better when the case is closed.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-22 12:17 PM (#509187 - in reply to #508965)

Oh yeah, and then there was the guy who was passing through customs with a banjo case in hand. The customs agent stopped him and had him open the case. There was a machine gun inside but the customs agent told him he could pass through and apologized for stopping him. You see, at first he thought there might be a BANJO inside.
rick endres
Posted 2015-04-22 2:03 PM (#509192 - in reply to #508965)

I echo Moody –I hope DW makes a new Ovation that is a great sounding acoustic guitar and not just a stage guitar that sounds great plugged in - and hopefully it will also sound great plugged in. I fear that DW will have to fight off the “pro-wooden guitar” bias: “These can’t possibly be as good as a Taylor/Martin/Breedlove/Gibson…” etc. I have a humble 1971 Balladeer with an absolutely incredible acoustic voice. A girl in one of my bands has a Martin D18 from the same era, My “O” plays rings around it – and her D18 is a damned fine guitar. The New Ovations will have to do that to enjoy any credibility. There will probably be a lot of curiosity seekers if Ovation does a re-launch. Let’s hope DW can “bring it” and earn some new converts…

PS - I'm an "old fart," but I have no money!

Edited by rick endres 2015-04-22 2:18 PM
stonebobbo
Posted 2015-04-22 2:48 PM (#509195 - in reply to #508965)

“A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo and doesn't.” - Mark Twain

Edited by stonebobbo 2015-04-22 2:49 PM
d'ovation
Posted 2015-04-22 2:51 PM (#509196 - in reply to #509192)

rick endres - 2015-04-22 1:03 PM  I fear that DW will have to fight off the “pro-wooden guitar” bias:

Some of those "traditionalists" seem to be more tolerant with the more recent "composite" guitars like rainsong, it seems to be more the round shape that offends some people. And I really don't get that sliding off the lap myth that gets talked about every once in a while ...

Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-04-22 3:09 PM (#509199 - in reply to #508965)

I've had a couple of Rainsongs, and they sounded great. David Wilcox tours with one. But not a lot of bang for the buck. Further, the necks are also graphite. If the neck warps, the whole guitar is wrecked. Been there, done that... I'm content with my Ovations. Interesting right now that Gibson acoustics are hot. Used to be Taylors in the hands of many successful country artists. Now it's a Gibson. Even less bang for the megabuck.
rick endres
Posted 2015-04-22 3:17 PM (#509201 - in reply to #509196)

merlin666 - 2015-04-22 2:51 PM

And I really don't get that sliding off the lap myth that gets talked about every once in a while ...

Yeah - I don't think that is much of an issue, especially if you stand. I sit - but I adjust my guitar strap so my guitar rides a little high; never touches my lap.

Problem solved...

Edited by rick endres 2015-04-22 3:26 PM
d'ovation
Posted 2015-04-22 3:23 PM (#509202 - in reply to #509199)

PaulB - 2015-04-22 2:09 PM Used to be Taylors in the hands of many successful country artists. Now it's a Gibson. Even less bang for the megabuck.

Oh no kidding, I played a few of the high end models and they all sounded dull like a cheapo laminate way back. And they all have rosewood fingerboards, yikes. Guess it's the marketing with product placements in shows like Nashville (which I like).

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-04-22 4:13 PM (#509204 - in reply to #508965)

Whenever you mention "Bang for the Buck" I am always aware that in 1971 you could get a 1111 Balladeer for $265 (or less if you have good negotiating skills). That was around a month's rent for a House. But it was still cheaper that a Martin or Gibson. And I saw many hitchhiking hippies and students carrying Ovations because they were sturdy and sounded Great unplugged.

The value of the dollar has since gone down, so if you bought a 1778T or 1771 for $600 in 2008, it was actually cheaper when adjusted for inflation than that $265 was back in 1971.

Ovations were always the better deal if you don't let the negative views of a small number of snobs affect your perception of Most people's opinion about Ovations.

Kinda like somebody who is walking criticizing your taste in motorcycles.
Do you really care what snotty people think of your guitar?
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-22 5:45 PM (#509211 - in reply to #509204)

Glen Campbell and Carl Jackson playing nice, even with a banjo! . 1973

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vfw5f1CZo&sns=em

I could see a round back banjo! Seems To be a wonderful marriage with Ovation and DW Drums! I may even try it!!
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-23 5:14 PM (#509275 - in reply to #508965)

As to DW and our OFC support..."One of the first steps in any new endeavor is to overcome the discouraging advice of those who say it can't be done." Charles H. Kaman
Damon67
Posted 2015-04-23 5:48 PM (#509277 - in reply to #508965)

Well quoted Tony
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-23 6:48 PM (#509281 - in reply to #509277)

Excellent Quote by the Man who did it!!!

Thanks Tony!

moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-23 8:18 PM (#509284 - in reply to #508965)

I was near Oxnard today and went to DW Drums. I met Bill Xavier (who is passionate about this) who is in charge of the Ovation rebirth. I got a tour of the drum factory and had a chance to visit. I was greatly encouraged by the workmanship that I saw. I'm starting to think that this is going to happen. What I saw was very encouraging........
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-23 8:46 PM (#509288 - in reply to #508965)

Nice investigating there Moody! Thanks for the info.
elginacres
Posted 2015-04-23 9:13 PM (#509292 - in reply to #508965)

On the wry side...Paul - did you ask if they could produce a three fret guitar?...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-23 9:19 PM (#509294 - in reply to #508965)

I tried. No special orders yet......
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-04-23 9:31 PM (#509299 - in reply to #509292)

elginacres - 2015-04-23 7:13 PM

did you ask if they could produce a three fret guitar?...

Anything above the Fifth fret is just showing-off.
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-24 12:19 AM (#509304 - in reply to #508965)

Paul, hope you didn't tell them you were a PI or did a 'burn-out' in the parking lot.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-24 3:03 AM (#509310 - in reply to #508965)

I was informed that Mr. Paul Moody was a gentleman and represented us well. He may even get invited back Bill did get quite a kick out of hanging up from a call with me and getting informed Paul was in the lobby, then not long after Paul left, someone else was in contact with Mr. Xavier to ask how his visit with Paul went. He said he felt like he was in a remake of "Meet the Fockers" with De Niro in the next room listening to everything. I wonder if I should tell him now or later that I used work for NSA.

Anyway, I had a quite in-depth chat with Bill Xavier today. Actually several chats on the phone and via email.

To sum up. This is happening folks. What really encouraged me, probably the most... or the most I can talk about... is all of the ideas. Some were obvious no-brainers, some were "gee I wonder if", some I liked and some I didn't, but they were ALL based on "innovation" and "improvement" while respecting the roots and the true meaning of what Ovation started out as. He's a guitar guy and he has a long working history with the right people.

I'm stoked.

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-24 8:16 AM (#509313 - in reply to #509310)

They sound so open and receptive to what The People want. I already like them!

I know it is still very early to be talking about this, but are they open to a Custom Shop and more Advanced Repairs Shop down the road?

Thank You so much for keeping us in the loop, this is exciting, and like Mr Arumako put it; Healing!

Edited by Nancy 2015-04-24 8:23 AM
Beal
Posted 2015-04-24 9:43 AM (#509319 - in reply to #508965)

Actually I never called Mr Xavier so at least get the facts straight. And while he and I do communicate I don't feel the need to post it here. And I really don't appreciate having others post things I didn't do either. When the time is right then it will get posted. In the mean time it's just the silly game of who has the latest information and can spill it "of what I am authorized to divulge". Besides the majority of what gets the "what if we do this?" discussion never comes to pass and when leaked winds up being rumors that never happen and make people pissed off and distrustful.
Slipkid
Posted 2015-04-24 10:08 AM (#509321 - in reply to #508965)

Miles... is DW thinking about bringing back an electric? Cause if I recall right you mentioned you were more of an Ovation electric guy and Al was the expert on Ovation acoustics. You could really be a big part in bringing back the Breadwinner!!

Edited by Slipkid 2015-04-24 10:09 AM
arumako
Posted 2015-04-24 10:50 AM (#509324 - in reply to #508965)

This is getting better and better all the time! I just received some unexpected income, and it's definitely going into my "new O" stash! I might even be able to afford an A for the 1st time in my life! Make it happen DW! Still praying and hoping that Mr. Budny and the gang are there when it's all said and done...
stephent28
Posted 2015-04-24 11:38 AM (#509329 - in reply to #508965)

Interesting comment Brad as I too have wondered why Mr. X is not talking to Al about the acoustics.
As the number one Adamas dealer and also innovator of many special order guitars that were both outstanding in specs and spectacular in sound, he would certainly be a logical choice.

Miles, have you asked Mr. X to involve Al in these early stage discussions? I would think his input would be invaluable.

Patch, I would ask you the same question?
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-24 12:07 PM (#509331 - in reply to #509324)

arumako - 2015-04-24 10:50 AM

Make it happen DW!
Still praying and hoping that Mr. Budny and the gang are there when it's all said and done...

Me too, Me toooooo! John Budny is the BEST!!!

And Congratulations one the Windfall! I hope you get a really Gorgeous New One!! And yes, we will want many Pictures Please!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-24 12:35 PM (#509333 - in reply to #509319)

cwk2 - 2015-04-24 7:43 AM

Actually I never called Mr Xavier so at least get the facts straight. And while he and I do communicate I don't feel the need to post it here. And I really don't appreciate having others post things I didn't do either. When the time is right then it will get posted. In the mean time it's just the silly game of who has the latest information and can spill it "of what I am authorized to divulge". Besides the majority of what gets the "what if we do this?" discussion never comes to pass and when leaked winds up being rumors that never happen and make people pissed off and distrustful.

I apologize as I must have misunderstood. I edited my post to be more accurate.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-04-24 1:00 PM (#509334 - in reply to #508965)

On a less serious note, this showed up in my inbox today. Do note that one suggestion is to find a support group. It may not be here!
https://reverb.com/blog/banjo-basics-for-guitarists-five-tips-for-fi...
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-24 1:02 PM (#509335 - in reply to #508965)

If they ever asked me for suggestions I would tell them to not only make the Elite T again, but to make a longneck Elite T with a deep bowl.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-24 1:08 PM (#509337 - in reply to #509321)

Brad Durasa - 2015-04-24 8:08 AM

Miles... is DW thinking about bringing back an electric? Cause if I recall right you mentioned you were more of an Ovation electric guy and Al was the expert on Ovation acoustics. You could really be a big part in bringing back the Breadwinner!!

LOL.. Well that would be cool wouldn't it. They are reaching out to people who are the long-time players and collectors of Ovation instruments. I sense an earnest feeling of them wanting to get "it" right whatever "it" turns out to be. It's not like they walked into a fully operational running factory or are able to hang out in a store with an Ovation room to be a fly on the wall. Frankly most other guitar forums are pretty hostile places to hang out.
We have our moments, but we also have been collecting history for nearly 15 years. And, I'm sure they recognize that over 10,000 people see this site every month.

alpep
Posted 2015-04-25 4:43 PM (#509379 - in reply to #508965)

I talked to bill x 2 weeks ago.....
he called me and acted like he did not know who I was

now guys...... you meet or talk to me ONCE you KNOW who I am and REMEMBER me.

perhaps he has amnesia.....

or perhaps he needs a new phone since I could barely understand him on his tin can and string .... or maybe he was climbing up the pole to talk to mr, haney like in green acres......

but WTF do I know I was only the biggest custom order customer Ovation/Adamas had and the biggest adamas dealer in the world for a while.....
guitarwannabee
Posted 2015-04-25 5:48 PM (#509380 - in reply to #508965)

al , maybe you should give him a vacation GWB
stephent28
Posted 2015-04-25 6:49 PM (#509381 - in reply to #508965)

GWB, you are too funny since you turned off the caps!
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-25 7:49 PM (#509382 - in reply to #508965)

DW does not have an easy task to continue their current business while trying to reintroduce and revitalize a brand post Fender.

Not as easy as just turning the lights on. In addition to what went wrong in the past loss of market, they would have to be fairly conservative in determining a small line of U.S. made Ovations that would be the first to reappear, resources and staff to produce them, market and distribution, warranty/repair, and custom work to include Adamas.

There would have to be changes that specifically and quickly determined if the guitar was U.S. made or off-shore. Much of the brand image has been damaged by off-shore with the Ovation logo.

Relations with dealers would have to be repaired. Each purveyor (bowl, pre-amp, rosette, case, wood, etc.) would have to be contacted, agreements made, and sufficient supplies obtained. This would be more difficult if DW changed if they felt the need to upgrade any major part of the guitars.

From what I understand, there may be some guitars (or the parts) that are at the factory that were not finished. Summer NAMM or Winter NAMM may provide them the opportunity to show a few models to buyers similar to the introduction of Guild after it was moved to New Hartford. As the demise of Ovation created a number of stories in trade magazines, newspapers, etc., it can be expected that a comparison to the phoenix (rising from the ashes and renewal) would also provide high visibility.

At some time, it may be that DW needs to expand their sources than just a couple from the OFC (hopefully they already are).

I have always felt that Al should be seriously consulted as a dealer that represented Ovation, Adamas, and Hamer (production and custom), constant support of the OFC, as well as his previous writings of the industry. His previous custom/special orders (OFC Adamas slothead, Adamas OFC2, Koa 12 & 14 fret, and more) have filled observed needs.

From posts, current and archive, they could see that there is still enthusiasm and desire within the OFC (at least as to our experience with acoustic and a/e Ovations from the 70's and 80's). Beyond the OFC, dealers know their market, as well as the pressure by companies such as Fender and Gibson to stock electrics. Maybe a custom shop could make a couple of electric guitars but I do not see that as a primary line in the beginning unless it was a hybrid similar to the VXT although there is a fair amount of competition such as Godin and Taylor.

However, they need to determine what is now their current and future market (age, discretionary income, playing style, competition, etc.) that will sustain their effort. Some guitars may be sold to OFC'ers but the majority of the production needs to be sold to dealers that are able to stock and sell them.

Edited by Tony Calman 2015-04-25 7:56 PM
guitarwannabee
Posted 2015-04-26 12:43 AM (#509386 - in reply to #508965)

stephent28 , can you believe it has been 9 years since i turned the caps off GWB
Slipkid
Posted 2015-04-26 6:36 AM (#509387 - in reply to #508965)

Yet, if you place a seashell up to you ear you can still hear them echoing across both time and space.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-26 8:43 AM (#509389 - in reply to #509382)

Tony Calman - 2015-04-25 7:49 PM

I have always felt that Al should be seriously consulted as a dealer that represented Ovation, Adamas, and Hamer (production and custom), constant support of the OFC, as well as his previous writings of the industry. His previous custom/special orders (OFC Adamas slothead, Adamas OFC2, Koa 12 & 14 fret, and more) have filled observed needs.

Thank You for reminding me Tony! I recently went to the FAQ's arena and read Al's interviews and articles. I learned a great deal from them, and I wanted to Thank Al for doing them, and sharing them, so we Newbies could learn more of the business end, and understand the entire process! Very well written, great in-depth questions, and the Reader finished with a much better understanding, and allot of new information to chew on!!! Thank You Al!!

Thank You Beal too - for your time, and sharing your first hand knowledge. You have done it all with Ovation, and it is very interesting reading your perspective, and learning the business end of these Beauties. It wasn't a sales pitch, it was sharing knowledge and experience. Thank You Beal!

Edited by Nancy 2015-04-26 8:47 AM
kentrookie
Posted 2015-04-26 9:09 AM (#509390 - in reply to #508965)

Article from MMRMagazine touching on European distribution channel selection for DW drums.

http://mmrmagazine.com/91-upfront/2060-european-beat-dw-sticks-with...

"The obvious standout from the deal is the acquisition of Ovation as well as the Gretsch drum brand and sundry other percussion lines. But Drum Workshop’s VP of marketing Scott Donnell insists that the acoustic guitar range was no mere makeweight in the deal.

He told MMR: “Ovation may not be in our wheelhouse as a drum company, but we’re an instrument manufacturer first and foremost. We’ll make sure the right people are in place to take the Ovation brand to the next level. For us, it’s all about passion; a passion for the instrument and making music. I feel confident that we can channel our excitement for building drums into this new venture.

“Ovation wasn’t a prerequisite in any way. Our immediate plans are to get the company fully operational and begin designing, crafting and innovating with a new perspective. Long term, we see this as an entrée into a segment of the MI that we hadn’t occupied previously. It’s the perfect way for us to grow and reach more musicians.”
Beal
Posted 2015-04-26 9:52 AM (#509391 - in reply to #508965)

guess I'm in trouble now, people are saying nice things about me.......
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-26 10:00 AM (#509392 - in reply to #509391)

cwk2 - 2015-04-26 9:52 AM

You're not in trouble until we use your full name, including your middle name....

Edited by Nancy 2015-04-26 10:18 AM
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-26 11:19 AM (#509393 - in reply to #509391)

cwk2 - 2015-04-26 8:52 AM

We can fix that.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-26 12:08 PM (#509394 - in reply to #508965)

Yeah but she's a newbie. What does she know?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-26 12:28 PM (#509395 - in reply to #508965)

As much as you in 2008 and me in 2002? lol!
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-26 1:15 PM (#509397 - in reply to #509395)

Uh-Oh... sounds like *I* am in trouble now...
jamesholl
Posted 2015-04-26 1:57 PM (#509398 - in reply to #508965)

So you were never a newbie? Wow I'm impressed............. Not!
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-26 2:42 PM (#509402 - in reply to #508965)

As we have told our new members over the years, there is a lot of information in the OFC archives, Jerome's OvationTribute, Dave's OvationGallery, and most important is that there is no question that isn't valid. Takes effort and time but the information is available. Nancy has been taking the effort and time.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-26 3:19 PM (#509403 - in reply to #508965)

Um, guys? (And Nancy), Go back and read it again. I was making a joke at Beal's expense. He commented that she had said some nice things about him and what I was getting at was that since she was a newbie, she must not know him very well or she wouldn't be saying nice things about him.

I'm pretty sure at least Beal saw the humor in that.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-26 3:26 PM (#509404 - in reply to #509397)

naellis58 - 2015-04-26 1:15 PM

Uh-Oh... sounds like *I* am in trouble now...

I only meant I am in trouble now because Mark joked that he could fix Beal, and Beal would get me for putting him in a position to get teased! LOL!!! No harm, no foul! All in fun!

I knew you were teasing Canterbury Strings - you are a Doll! I knew you were joining in the fun, I completely took it that way too!!

You are ALL Incredible, and I Love being part of the OFC Family. You all have been so kind in answering questions, and pointing me to where I can find pictures and information! My most sincere Thanks to you all!!!

Edited by Nancy 2015-04-26 3:28 PM
alpep
Posted 2015-04-26 4:50 PM (#509407 - in reply to #509391)

and me......
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-26 5:08 PM (#509408 - in reply to #508965)

Positive comments are recognizing attitude and results. Not always stated but deserved.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-26 5:09 PM (#509409 - in reply to #509407)

alpep - 2015-04-26 4:50 PM

and me......

I am going to order a Guitar from you, just to get some NJ Pizza put in the box Al!!! I LOVE Pizza!! And Thank You for those Articles, very, very Interesting!
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-26 5:21 PM (#509413 - in reply to #508965)

Al. I told Nancy about your packing materials but since you have been trying to lose weight, you might need to use something else.
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-26 5:31 PM (#509414 - in reply to #509409)

naellis58 - 2015-04-27 10:09 AM

alpep - 2015-04-26 4:50 PM

and me......

I am going to order a Guitar from you, just to get some NJ Pizza put in the box Al!!! I LOVE Pizza!! And Thank You for those Articles, very, very Interesting!

I feel ripped off! 3 guitars and not one pizza box
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-26 5:34 PM (#509415 - in reply to #508965)

I didn't mean I could fix Beal. For all I know he is already fixed. I just meant we could stop saying nice things about him and go back to our usual cheap shots.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-26 5:41 PM (#509416 - in reply to #509415)

Mark in Boise - 2015-04-26 5:34 PM

I didn't mean I could fix Beal. For all I know he is already fixed. I just meant we could stop saying nice things about him and go back to our usual cheap shots.

LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Snort Warning Mark, Snort Warning!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-26 9:25 PM (#509423 - in reply to #509299)

arthurseery - 2015-04-24 2:31 PM

elginacres - 2015-04-23 7:13 PM

did you ask if they could produce a three fret guitar?...

Anything above the Fifth fret is just showing-off.

Isn't that your name on the 6th fret???

nerdydave
Posted 2015-04-26 10:14 PM (#509426 - in reply to #508965)

East is east and west is west.
But eastern pizza is the best
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-27 9:46 AM (#509440 - in reply to #509426)

nerdydave - 2015-04-26 10:14 PM

East is east and west is west.
But eastern pizza is the best

That's what I hear too!!! Mmmmmmm Pizza!
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-27 10:22 AM (#509443 - in reply to #508965)

It's so true! The pizza (especially if you can find a place run by Greeks instead of Italians) in New England is the best!
AstroDan
Posted 2015-04-27 10:24 AM (#509444 - in reply to #509402)

Tony Calman - 2015-04-26 12:42 PM As we have told our new members over the years, there is a lot of information in the OFC archives, Jerome's OvationTribute, Dave's OvationGallery, and most important is that there is no question that isn't valid. Takes effort and time but the information is available. Nancy has been taking the effort and time.

So, what are the best strings for my 07C?

Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-27 11:12 AM (#509445 - in reply to #508965)

For my Adamas and Ovations, I still have a small cache of sealed Adamas Light 1818 [.012-.053] but hard to find...almost always the D'Addario EJ16 Light Phosphor Bronze [.012-.053] but I have had fun with the D'Addario Heavy EJ18 [.014-.059] or Adamas Medium [.013-.056]. At one time, Matt had given me a ? .063 string. I replaced the .059 with an EJ18 set. I put that .014-.063 on a UTE - felt like I was going to break a window.

To keep this in perspective, at this time in my life, I only play for me, I am the audience - others will have other thoughts. Some will attest to different guages, coated, some not coated.

At a clinic here in San Diego, Brad Davis gave me a set of strings that he endorsed, SIT is the brand - excellent.

At a clinic, our rep gave me a box of Fender phosphor bronze [.012-.053] - other day I must have been brain dead as I put them on my 2005C as I had forgotten how bad they were...took the Fender off and put on the D'Addario EJ16.

Lots of good strings out there except for Fender.
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-27 11:14 AM (#509446 - in reply to #508965)

Better answer (IMHO) is to use the strings that came with the guitar which would have been D'Addario EJ16 Light Phosphor Bronze [.012-.053]
alpep
Posted 2015-04-27 12:16 PM (#509450 - in reply to #508965)

I guess yogurt boxes will have to do......
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-27 12:19 PM (#509451 - in reply to #508965)

AstroDan got ya, Tony. He was responding to the comment that no question wasn't valid, with the infamous "what strings should I use" question. Note the little smiley face way down in his post.

The best answer to the what strings question is, "free ones". I need to figure out how to get someone else to restring a bunch of mine.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-27 12:24 PM (#509452 - in reply to #509445)

Tony Calman - 2015-04-27 11:12 AM

For my Adamas and Ovations, I still have a small cache of sealed Adamas Light 1818 [.012-.053] but hard to find...

Those are my Favorites too Tony - they are getting harder and harder to find. I have a small cache too. I liked the Elixer Light Polywebs on the Nakao Custom, but did NOT like them on the 1619, and quickly switched back to the Adamas 1818s.

The ones that came to me on the 1869 Flag are really nice - Detlef Michel said that they are Thomastik .11-.50 strings. That guitar is a medium depth bowl.
AstroDan
Posted 2015-04-27 1:32 PM (#509453 - in reply to #509451)

Mark in Boise - 2015-04-27 10:19 AM AstroDan got ya, Tony. He was responding to the comment that no question wasn't valid, with the infamous "what strings should I use" question. Note the little smiley face way down in his post. The best answer to the what strings question is, "free ones". I need to figure out how to get someone else to restring a bunch of mine.

Got him in the boat.

BTW, I use DR Black Beauties on the advise of Stonebobbo. Look really nice, and with my playing, all good!

Back to topic, I will buy a new get from DW.

Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-27 1:47 PM (#509454 - in reply to #508965)

Mark, I recognized that but felt it was a time to see if we could break the record of posts on one thread...everyone has a different opinion.
stonebobbo
Posted 2015-04-27 2:45 PM (#509455 - in reply to #509453)

AstroDan - 2015-04-27 11:32 AM

BTW, I use DR Black Beauties on the advise of Stonebobbo. Look really nice, and with my playing, all good!

Those do look ubercool on the 07BCS and the sound pretty good for a coated string.

Edited by stonebobbo 2015-04-27 2:47 PM
Darkbar
Posted 2015-04-27 4:34 PM (#509465 - in reply to #509398)

jamesholl - 2015-04-26 2:57 PM

Until you KNOW the people here on the forum really well, best not to make snide remarks...
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-27 6:35 PM (#509474 - in reply to #509465)

darkbarguitar - 2015-04-27 4:34 PM

jamesholl - 2015-04-26 2:57 PM

Until you KNOW the people here on the forum really well, best not to make snide remarks...

It was totally my fault Bob, if I had quoted Mark's post, there would have been no problem.

I think the world of Allison, and knew she was joking along with us, if I would have quoted Mark's post, and explained what I meant at that time, there would not have been the confusion.

(And if I was not star struck by Beal, I wouldn't have been such a putz! Mid-Westerners you know...)

Please accept my apologies everyone, and mea culpa?

Edited by Nancy 2015-04-27 6:38 PM
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-04-27 6:36 PM (#509475 - in reply to #508965)

Nancy had an Ovation years before some of the OFC members...since she is putting various models of O's and A's in her hands and researching, she may quickly be the one with the answer. A newbie? Be careful as a new member on the OFC does not reflect on their background on Ovation, Adamas, and Hamer; as well on music theory, other instruments, and other guitars.

I did not take Canterbury Strings comment to be negative or snide but to have a little fun... Reinforced by Paul's comments. Allison was not a newbie when she joined the OFC...started playing in 1968, father worked at Ovation, she went to work at Ovation in 1976, teaching since 1973, has her own guitar store. Her 'poke' is so mild compared to our past life at the OFC.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-27 6:48 PM (#509476 - in reply to #509475)

I *am* a newbie to this Group though, and as such, I am trying to learn the rules and moods of the Group. Canterbury Strings was absolutely spot on, and I think it was great that she felt comfortable teasing with me!

You are all Wonderful, and I feel more at home here than with most of my Family. I want to Thank you all for accepting me so quickly, I know I can be a wee bit (????) high strung, and sometimes it is hard even for me to deal with me! So Thank You ALL for making me feel accepted!

Let's let this go, and talk Guitars and DW again?
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-27 7:06 PM (#509477 - in reply to #508965)

It was also MY fault for not quoting Beal because it was HIM I was poking fun at. Back in the day I used to bust his chops all the time and I guess I still do.

As for my opinion of Nancy - She has breathed new life into the forum and she is exactly the type of person DW (I assume) will be marketing to. I wish we had a lot more folks like her here. (Not to mention it's nice to have another woman on the board!)

Now Nancy - people are saying nice things about YOU!!!!!
Beal
Posted 2015-04-27 7:16 PM (#509479 - in reply to #508965)

The best strings are free strings although I got some free Fuckner strings and they sucked.
I like the ej24 set but 16 on the 84 c-series although I used the 15s when playing 5 hours a night in Florida with Pam and Davis
We are all newbies at some point. Remember the rules, be nice to people, especially the usual suspects, don't mention Darkbar's shirts or say mauve to Al and don't forget to join the Takamineforum.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-27 7:17 PM (#509480 - in reply to #509477)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-04-27 7:06 PM

It was also MY fault for not quoting Beal because it was HIM I was poking fun at. Back in the day I used to bust his chops all the time and I guess I still do.

As for my opinion of Nancy - She has breathed new life into the forum and she is exactly the type of person DW (I assume) will be marketing to. I wish we had a lot more folks like her here. (Not to mention it's nice to have another woman on the board!)

Now Nancy - people are saying nice things about YOU!!!!!

LMBO!!!!!
To quote Beal:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank You Allison! I feel the same way about you too!!!!!
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-27 7:24 PM (#509481 - in reply to #509479)

cwk2 - 2015-04-27 7:16 PM

don't mention Darkbar's shirts or say mauve to Al and don't forget to join the Takamineforum.

See? Now that's just mean!!! Especially to a "WHY???" person!!! Now I want to know why we can't mention Darkbar's shirts (and what they are?), and why Al doesn't like "mauve"???? LOL!!!
Weaser P
Posted 2015-04-27 7:28 PM (#509484 - in reply to #509481)

naellis58 - 2015-04-27 7:24 PM

cwk2 - 2015-04-27 7:16 PM

Now I want to know why we can't mention Darkbar's shirts (and what they are?)

...be careful what you ask for...there are some bells you can't unring...

Edited by Weaser P 2015-04-27 7:29 PM
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-27 7:31 PM (#509485 - in reply to #508965)

Darkbar likes to balance his phenomenal playing and singing with some really, um shall we say, fashionable (?) shirts. I think he was trying to compete with OMA who is equally famous for his video with NO shirt.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-27 7:39 PM (#509486 - in reply to #509485)

LMBO!!!!!!!!!! I am assuming there are pictures somewhere??????
stephent28
Posted 2015-04-27 7:44 PM (#509487 - in reply to #509475)

Tony Calman - 2015-04-27  Her 'poke' is so mild compared to our past life at the OFC.

sigh, isn't that the truth.  No thread was safe and nothing was sacred.

Tony, got your message and totally agree!

Beal
Posted 2015-04-27 8:06 PM (#509489 - in reply to #508965)

Speaking of which, when was the last time a thread got closed?

Edited by Beal 2015-04-27 8:07 PM
guitarwannabee
Posted 2015-04-27 9:16 PM (#509492 - in reply to #508965)

when was the last time someone got a vacation from al ?
i can't even remember the last time someone got a warning about one
could it be that we are all getting a bit soft in our old age?
come on bobg throw something in here that will start a bit of shi# up.
we are starting to get a little boring here , lets get some of the threads off topic a bit and bring back some excitement again. GWB
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-28 3:21 AM (#509503 - in reply to #509492)

guitarwannabee - 2015-04-27 7:16 PM

when was the last time someone got a vacation from al ?
i can't even remember the last time someone got a warning about one
could it be that we are all getting a bit soft in our old age?
come on bobg throw something in here that will start a bit of shi# up.
we are starting to get a little boring here , lets get some of the threads off topic a bit and bring back some excitement again. GWB

Let's not and say we did.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-04-28 5:45 AM (#509505 - in reply to #509474)

naellis58 - 2015-04-27 7:35 PM

(And if I was not star struck by Beal, I wouldn't have been such a putz! Mid-Westerners you know...)

No reason to be starstruck with Beal. He puts his pants on 2 legs at a time, just like the rest of us.
(and for what it's worth, he LIKES my shirts...)
Weaser P
Posted 2015-04-28 6:32 AM (#509507 - in reply to #509505)

darkbarguitar - 2015-04-28 5:45 AM

(and for what it's worth, he LIKES my shirts...)

That's just sad but who knew gas fumes caused THAT kind of damage?
Beal
Posted 2015-04-28 9:39 AM (#509516 - in reply to #508965)

What?? You never huffed JetA?
cliff
Posted 2015-04-28 10:15 AM (#509518 - in reply to #508965)

" . . Smells like "Victory" . . . . . "
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-28 10:44 AM (#509519 - in reply to #508965)

JP-4 !!! Yummmmmm
alpep
Posted 2015-04-28 10:49 AM (#509520 - in reply to #508965)

don't temp me on vacations or thread shut downs.....
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-28 4:40 PM (#509527 - in reply to #509520)

alpep - 2015-04-29 3:49 AM

don't temp me on vacations or thread shut downs.....

Who says Al doesn't have a sense of humour? That's one of the funniest replies I've read.
Beal
Posted 2015-04-28 5:28 PM (#509533 - in reply to #508965)

he was kidding?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-28 5:38 PM (#509534 - in reply to #508965)

Not that I could tell......
muzza
Posted 2015-04-29 5:07 PM (#509581 - in reply to #508965)

Al's always funniest when he's serious.  

TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-29 6:43 PM (#509587 - in reply to #508965)

Maybe it's one of those jokes that only Aussies and Poms can understand?
Darkbar
Posted 2015-04-29 7:35 PM (#509591 - in reply to #509587)

Kinda like Vegemite...
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-07 10:00 PM (#509934 - in reply to #508965)

Hi Ovation fan club!!!!
stonebobbo
Posted 2015-05-07 10:24 PM (#509936 - in reply to #508965)

Howdy!
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-07 10:44 PM (#509937 - in reply to #508965)

Ill keep rockin.....
stonebobbo
Posted 2015-05-07 11:06 PM (#509940 - in reply to #508965)

That's the spirit! What brings you here xraiderman?
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-07 11:45 PM (#509943 - in reply to #508965)

I run Ovation guitars and you guys mean allot to me.....
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-05-07 11:57 PM (#509945 - in reply to #508965)

"Run" as in work for DW and are in charge of Ovation?
Darkbar
Posted 2015-05-08 5:54 AM (#509951 - in reply to #508965)

Uh oh...
Patch
Posted 2015-05-08 6:23 AM (#509952 - in reply to #509934)

xraiderman - 2015-05-07 11:00 PM Hi Ovation fan club!!!!

Hello yourself. If you're talking football with a handle like that, I might like you already.

Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-05-08 8:16 AM (#509956 - in reply to #508965)

xraiderman: welcome to the club, and you certainly have got our attention.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2015-05-08 9:41 AM (#509957 - in reply to #509956)

Welcome xraiderman.
Beal
Posted 2015-05-08 9:51 AM (#509958 - in reply to #508965)

Xraiderman, welcome. This is a pretty tame bunch these days, and I'll bet they are all very happy to have you here
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-05-08 10:06 AM (#509959 - in reply to #508965)

Patch, there IS no such thing as an EX Raider. Former Raider maybe, but in their hearts, once a Raider, always a Raider. Kind of like an Ovation person. When you've gotten used to the best, nothing else will do.
Nancy
Posted 2015-05-08 10:29 AM (#509961 - in reply to #509959)

Welcome Xraiderman!!!

You will Love it here, these Folk are the BEST!!!
Damon67
Posted 2015-05-08 10:31 AM (#509963 - in reply to #508965)

I've lived in Seattle almost 20 years now... I still bleed Silver and Black

Edited by Damon67 2015-05-08 10:31 AM
stonebobbo
Posted 2015-05-08 11:03 AM (#509965 - in reply to #509959)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-05-08 8:06 AM Patch, there IS no such thing as an EX Raider. Former Raider maybe, but in their hearts, once a Raider, always a Raider. Kind of like an Ovation person. When you've gotten used to the best, nothing else will do.

It's all about Commitment to Excellence.  

xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-08 11:25 AM (#509966 - in reply to #508965)

Yea I'm always a Raider......
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-08 11:27 AM (#509967 - in reply to #508965)

I'll start keeping you guys posted
Damon67
Posted 2015-05-08 11:32 AM (#509968 - in reply to #508965)

And a Raider Fan too. I'm liking the new management.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-05-08 11:33 AM (#509969 - in reply to #508965)

Bill Callahan is an ex-Raider. Nebraskans are glad he's an ex-Husker, too.
Damon67
Posted 2015-05-08 11:35 AM (#509970 - in reply to #508965)

I almost forgot about this pic...

(adamas-sticker.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments adamas-sticker.jpg (65KB - 0 downloads)
Nancy
Posted 2015-05-08 11:36 AM (#509971 - in reply to #509967)

xraiderman - 2015-05-08 11:27 AM

I'll start keeping you guys posted

EXCELLENT!!!!

What news do you have for us? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!!!
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-08 11:50 AM (#509972 - in reply to #508965)

Very nice........ We should have an Ovation Fan Club Fantasy football league... Nancy, Mr Ovation will be setting something up for all of us to participate in very soon.
Nancy
Posted 2015-05-08 12:02 PM (#509973 - in reply to #509972)

You guys aren't going to hold the Vikings against me, are you????
And you have to admit, they do have a cool logo, and I guess the "Big Game" is going to be held next year in the New Stadium that they are building!

(You can tell that I am really into football..)

Thank You xraiderman - will be looking forward to some Info!

Edited by Nancy 2015-05-08 12:03 PM
arumako
Posted 2015-05-08 12:21 PM (#509974 - in reply to #508965)

Getting more interesting all the time...
Waskel
Posted 2015-05-08 2:13 PM (#509978 - in reply to #508965)

Isn't it just....

stephent28
Posted 2015-05-08 4:16 PM (#509979 - in reply to #508965)

Raiders.......
Aren't they the west coast team that haven't won **** for like the last 25 years?
Yeah.....pretty sure they are the ones I am thinking of.
Beal
Posted 2015-05-08 4:28 PM (#509980 - in reply to #508965)

Football, really? Next.......
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-08 4:33 PM (#509981 - in reply to #508965)

Tough bunch, be nice now..... Big Ovation news soon.....
MusicMishka
Posted 2015-05-08 5:18 PM (#509982 - in reply to #508965)

...BIG OVATION NEWS SOON...

Absolutely!

Edited by MusicMishka 2015-05-08 5:23 PM
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-05-08 5:19 PM (#509983 - in reply to #509979)

stephent28 - 2015-05-08 2:16 PM

Raiders.......
Aren't they the west coast team that haven't won **** for like the last 25 years?
Yeah.....pretty sure they are the ones I am thinking of.

Thought that was my team ---- Dodgers.....
Patch
Posted 2015-05-08 5:55 PM (#509984 - in reply to #508965)

I can't believe even Damon would deface an Adamas like that!

I change the guitars out regularly at my office, but the towel STAYS!

Tony Calman
Posted 2015-05-08 6:13 PM (#509986 - in reply to #508965)

As to the Raiders, appears that SD Chargers and Raiders may be moving to Carson (Los Angeles area) to share a same stadium that will be built. Doubtful if San Diego will build a replacement for the Qualcom stadium here.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-carson-chargers-ra...

This is even though there is an intense (even bloody) rivalry between the two teams. In fact, quarterback Philip Rivers is delaying signing an extension with the Chargers as he doesn't want to move his family to L.A. Lot of people, including Rivers (born Alabama, college North Carolina), do not believe L.A. is a good place to raise a family (seven children). There has been a lot of discussion of him going to Tennessee Titans for his last couple of years.

Ovation Fan Club Fantasy football league ?? Not sure what a fantasy football league has to do with a guitar forum...especially one that has a lot of activity and where "off-topic" discussions are kept at a minimum and controlled by Al and Miles?

Most of the 'vacations' (banned from the OFC) happened due to off-topic. And, a fantasy football league is available on ESPN, CBS Sports, and a lot of other sites. Note that there is probably little interest in members from Russia, Cambodia, France, South Africa, etc. (199 countries) Heck, football in most countries is soccer. Again, Ovation Fan Club Fantasy football league ??

Edited by Tony Calman 2015-05-08 6:15 PM
DanSavage
Posted 2015-05-08 6:40 PM (#509989 - in reply to #509984)

patchmcg - 2015-05-08 3:55 PM

I change the guitars out regularly at my office, but the towel STAYS!

How many Book Elites do you own, Patch?

DanSavage
Posted 2015-05-08 6:42 PM (#509990 - in reply to #509986)

Tony Calman - 2015-05-08 4:13 PM
Again, Ovation Fan Club Fantasy football league ??

You never know. It could be hosted on DW's servers.
Patch
Posted 2015-05-08 6:52 PM (#509991 - in reply to #508965)

Just the one Dan....and it's cousin.

Tony Calman
Posted 2015-05-08 7:25 PM (#509993 - in reply to #508965)

Dan's comment "You never know. It could be hosted on DW's servers."

I fully support DW's effort to "continue the dream" of Ovation/Adamas. Hopefully, OFC'ers will lend their support for their effort.

I suppose it could but I believe it shouldn't be the "Ovation Fan Club" Fantasy football league. This had always been an independent site from KMC, then Fender, or dealers. When GuitarCenter/MusicPower approached Al who was attending a Matt Smith clinic at their store in San Diego several years ago, the store's owners wanted to provide support for the OFC. Offer declined.

If "Ovation Guitars Fantasy Football League" - maybe. Heck, winner might get a guitar.

At best, the OFC web site could even be discreetly hosted on DW's server to reduce the cost to Al & Miles but without any "strings". However, not sure how a URL such as WWW.DWDRUMS.COM/OVATIONFANCLUB would be discreet.

However, the OFC is a unique and diverse organization of members from 199 countries. Sure, founded by Al and Miles and they can take it down or change it at any time. However, let's be blunt, it grew (and grows) because of the past, present, and future members who believe in the U.S. made guitars.

Edited by Tony Calman 2015-05-08 7:30 PM
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-08 7:56 PM (#509996 - in reply to #508965)

Look what I started with my screen name...... Sorry ALL
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-08 7:58 PM (#509997 - in reply to #508965)

How many of you have actually seen or played the new contour bowl?
arumako
Posted 2015-05-08 8:11 PM (#509998 - in reply to #509970)

damon67 - 2015-05-08 1:35 AM

I almost forgot about this pic...

Oh my...Damon67, please tell me the sticker is a photoshop mock-up!

Of course, it wouldn't be so bad if it were a...ummm, ooh, probably better not go there, huh? Lol...

Hello, xraiderman...I see you're a newbie, like me...uhhh, then I see you're a "whole different kind of" newbie! Yikes, welcome to the OFC. Like Nancy says, I think you're going to like it here.

Btw, so as to not rudely avoid the question...haven't owned or played a contour bowl..., but I can't wait to hear the "Big Ovation News Soon" because my next "new" guitar purchase is going to be a USA O!

Edited by arumako 2015-05-08 8:27 PM
BanjoJ
Posted 2015-05-08 8:14 PM (#509999 - in reply to #509997)

xraiderman - 2015-05-09 12:58 PM

When you say 'new contour bowl' do you mean the one that has been available for a quite few years now, or is there a newer one?

If it's the older one, I have two guitars with the contour bowl a 2773LX and a 2081GT, both are great guitars, but I'm also very happy with my deep bowl guitars.
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-05-08 8:32 PM (#510002 - in reply to #508965)

Please don't take my comments wrong...I recently wrote in one of the Carter books that is going around:

"With DW's support...may the dream live on"

The 2005 Collectors was the start of the contour bowl. I have several other guitars with the contour bowl...probably was a good update for those who were concerned about the guitar slipping. I go from a non-contour to contour without noticing when not using a strap. However, I often use a strap whether sitting or standing unless classical. The strap is not because of the bowl but balance and playing position. So, whether the 1966-1968 shiny bowls, 70's, 80's to 2009, they are all comfortable. I am down to 38 Ovations/Adamas 6&12 strings only because I sold some lately (62 Ovations, Adamas, Martin, Gibson, Takamine, and Wurlitzer guitars in all).

An aside, the Dunlop strap lock gives me a lot more confidence about playing an Ovation or Adamas. I have converted most of my older guitars to accept the strap locks. Wood boxes that I have (Takamine & Martin) are always subject to the risk of a strap coming off.
Nancy
Posted 2015-05-08 8:37 PM (#510003 - in reply to #509999)

I have the Contour Bowl on my C2079AX, it feels nice against your body. I like the sound that come out of the Deep Bowl better, but I don't know if that is because of the bowl, or other guitar differences. I have read that the contour bowl stays on your lap better, but I never had a problem with any of them slipping off my leg.

I don't use a strap...
Nothing definitive from me, sorry...

Edited by Nancy 2015-05-08 8:48 PM
SOBeach
Posted 2015-05-08 8:45 PM (#510004 - in reply to #509999)

xraiderman - ...seen or played the new contour bowl?

Haven't tried any, but then don't need one.  

BanjoJ - very happy with my deep bowl guitars.

ditto.    Deep bowl Os rule!   

FlySig
Posted 2015-05-08 9:43 PM (#510006 - in reply to #508965)

I've got a 2080 with the contour bowl. Also previously owned a 2007 Collector's edition with the contour. I generally like it a lot more than the mid depth bowl for both comfort and sound. The original deep bowl doesn't roll around for me the way the mid bowl does, and so I find the original deep bowl as comfortable as the contour. The original hand laid deep bowl has a different tone than the new contour, too.

It comes down to personal preference really. The fit is definitely different with the contour.
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-08 10:09 PM (#510008 - in reply to #510002)

Thanks for the detailed message
stephent28
Posted 2015-05-08 10:32 PM (#510009 - in reply to #508965)

I have a custom pair of 6/12 longneck Adamas that have contour bowls and an original slot head with a deep bowl. I find them both equally comfortable to play.

I have noticed that for me, a deep bowl which is approximately the same size as a dread is much easier to play than a true wood dread...which has a tendency to make my shoulder ache.

Edited by stephent28 2015-05-08 10:33 PM
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-05-08 10:45 PM (#510010 - in reply to #508965)

I have two contour bowls and love them. Also have two deep bowls and previously owned a medium bowl.

What makes the best Ovations? Contour or deep bowl, textured top for Adamas, suspended ring bowl attachment, hand-laid fibreglass bowl and U.S. craftsmanship.

Would be really interesting to see if a Q (or at least a carbon fibre bowl Adamas) could be made for a non-outrageous price, given how much CF technology has advanced since the Q was made.
Patch
Posted 2015-05-08 11:46 PM (#510011 - in reply to #508965)

I've owned several contour bowls and still have one. I  like them fine, but I've been playing deep bowls for a long time now and find they fit me just fine, even moreso than the contour does. It's probably just what I'm used to more than anything else, as many others around here have raved about the contours.

BTW, I plan on keeping my last contour bowl. It's one of Al's 14-fret LAV Koas. In fact it's #1 of that very limited run.

Edited by Patch 2015-05-08 11:48 PM
MusicMishka
Posted 2015-05-09 2:49 AM (#510013 - in reply to #508965)

I currently own 5 deep or SS Bowl Ovation/Adamas guitars and am caretaking/refurbishing 14 others which include many vintage Ovations of different original bowls and several contour bowl Ovations. I owned several contour bowl Adamas including a 2008 Collectors Adamas and a 2080Blackburst OFC 2 Adamas. The fact that I have owned and played Ovation/Adamas for 43 years including over 28 years of live performing is due to the sound and reliability of the instruments. Even before I became a Keyman Endorsee in the 80's I took pride in explaining to the audience members the facts behind the Roundback guitars I played. People would come up to the stage on a near nightly basis asking about the guitars...whether it was the Pacemaker 12 string or later, my Elites, they loved them and wanted to know about these guitars that were so unconventional. I took the time to answer their questions because I was passionate about them myself...I still am. Ever since I saw my first Ovation sitting on a guitar stand up behind the counter of a music store in Columbus, Ohio in 1966...Ovation/Adamas is an American Icon...it must go on, it must re-emerge as it nears its 50th Anniversary...I am certain it is destined to do that...and I plan to continue to tell its story as well that I can. Thanks Xraiderman and DW for sharing that passion and vision!
Guitsome
Posted 2015-05-09 5:30 AM (#510014 - in reply to #508965)

"New" contour bowl?

My 2771LX has a contour bowl and I like it. I don't have a problem with the deep bowl either though.
danomyte
Posted 2015-05-09 5:39 AM (#510015 - in reply to #508965)

I own a couple of contour bowls as well and feel the same in that the bowl feels very comfortable to the body and tad easier to play than a standard deep bowl, however the sound doesn't project or sound nearly as good as the standard deep bowl. It's nice to have options though.
Nancy
Posted 2015-05-09 9:05 AM (#510019 - in reply to #510013)

MusicMishka - 2015-05-09 2:49 AM

...Even before I became a Keyman Endorsee in the 80's I took pride in explaining to the audience members the facts behind the Roundback guitars I played. People would come up to the stage on a near nightly basis asking about the guitars...whether it was the Pacemaker 12 string or later, my Elites, they loved them and wanted to know about these guitars that were so unconventional. I took the time to answer their questions because I was passionate about them myself...I still am. Ever since I saw my first Ovation sitting on a guitar stand up behind the counter of a music store in Columbus, Ohio in 1966...Ovation/Adamas is an American Icon...it must go on, it must re-emerge as it nears its 50th Anniversary...I am certain it is destined to do that...and I plan to continue to tell its story as well that I can. Thanks Xraiderman and DW for sharing that passion and vision!

***Standing Ovation to MusicMishka***

I believe this is how passionate each and everyone of us here are about these Guitars, the History, the People, the Music. We *really* want DW to succeed in every aspect of this re-launch.
Slipkid
Posted 2015-05-09 9:06 AM (#510020 - in reply to #510015)

I owned a contour bowl for a while. Would not hesitate to buy another.
The traditional deep bowl might have an edge on tone and projection but I don't think the difference is a real factor. Reminds me of chasing after the perfect set of golf clubs.
It's more about the player and his technique. Remember the factory tour when Matt Smith played his take on "Love the One Your With"? With all the high end guitars within arms reach, he chose an EliteT... the low end of the USA made models.... and made it RING!
As much as I am fan of the deep bowl and all it's history it's my guess is that it will be the contour bowl for the near future. I don't think we'll ever have that wide choice of bowl styles again.
sidebar:
Hey Waskel... maybe you could post that Matt Smith / EliteT video?

DanSavage
Posted 2015-05-09 9:36 AM (#510023 - in reply to #509997)

xraiderman - 2015-05-08 5:58 PM

I own a 2078TX-5 with a contour bowl. It also features the LX braces. It's a good sounding combination. Deep rich bass with clear mid-tones and ringing trebles.

The contour bowl is comfortable to play, either sitting down or standing up, but like all Ovations they are more stable to play standing up when the strap button is located on the upper treble bout instead of the upper bass bout.

I have had to move the strap button from the bass bout to the treble bout on a few of my Os because the guitar wants to slide out from under my right arm when played using a strap while standing up.

Dan
DanSavage
Posted 2015-05-09 9:41 AM (#510024 - in reply to #510013)

MusicMishka - 2015-05-09 12:49 AM

...1966...Ovation/Adamas is an American Icon...it must go on, it must re-emerge as it nears its 50th Anniversary...I am certain it is destined to do that...and I plan to continue to tell its story as well that I can. Thanks Xraiderman and DW for sharing that passion and vision!

Yes, it would be great to see a really special 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition Ovation emerge.
Waskel
Posted 2015-05-09 9:51 AM (#510025 - in reply to #510020)

Brad Durasa - 2015-05-09 7:06 AM

It's more about the player and his technique. Remember the factory tour when Matt Smith played his take on "Love the One Your With"? With all the high end guitars within arms reach, he chose an EliteT... the low end of the USA made models.... and made it RING!
As much as I am fan of the deep bowl and all it's history it's my guess is that it will be the contour bowl for the near future. I don't think we'll ever have that wide choice of bowl styles again.
sidebar:
Hey Waskel... maybe you could post that Matt Smith / EliteT video?

Ask and it shall be given.

https://youtu.be/YgfUFy6EqJw

Edited by Waskel 2015-05-09 10:00 AM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-05-09 10:08 AM (#510028 - in reply to #508965)

I like the coutour a lot. I have it on my 2080 (OFCII) and I've played others. I think it is brilliant. I never had an issue with an Ovation "rolling off my leg" based on the way I play, but there is something that just feels better about the contour bowl.
FlySig
Posted 2015-05-09 10:32 AM (#510032 - in reply to #508965)

A long time ago, someone here posted the solution to the problem of an Ovation rolling skyward while playing. I was hugging the guitar with my right elbow. As soon as I relaxed, the problem went away.

I prefer the way an Ovation does roll ever so slightly up compared to a square wood box when I want it to. It makes it easier to look at my hands. The contour bowl prevents this, and I prefer to play the contour bowl sitting rather than standing.

This is the old "flavor of ice cream" debate. They're all great, just different.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-05-09 10:32 AM (#510033 - in reply to #508965)

I have everything from deep bowls, deep shiny bowls, mid-depth, super shallow, AND contour bowl. I don't have trouble with any of them but then again, I have been playing O's since the very beginning. But there are people who come into my shop who complain that they roll. When I put a contour bowl in their hands they are pleased and amazed.

I'm not so sure that the contour bowl doesn't sound as deep and rich as the deep bowl. The 2007 collector's is as bass rich as any guitar I've played, and StephenT's longneck's with the contour bowls were so deep and loud they almost broke my windows. I really think from a marketing standpoint, contour bowl is the way to go.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2015-05-09 11:01 AM (#510035 - in reply to #508965)

Played a few contours. After over 40+ years, prefer a bowl. Deep and mid, each have their place in my work. Don't really care for super shallows. Any performing situation that might call for a SSB, I'd use my EA-68.
And, of course, just my personal opinions.
stonebobbo
Posted 2015-05-09 12:26 PM (#510042 - in reply to #508965)

I'm a contour bowl fan. I've sold many of my traditional bowl guitars. I still have a few deep bowls, but much prefer the contour. As far as not sounding as rich or deep as traditional bowls, I'd flat out disagree with you. I recently had a guy come to my house to check out Ovations (he decided to buy his first Ovation and I was referred to him by some other musicians as the Ovation expert) and he without a doubt loved the contour and somewhat disliked the deep bowls. He decided that the 07BCS was the best guitar of all, including #49 which was a tad bright for his tastes. Lady Stonebobbo also consistently picks the 07BCS as my best sounding guitar, both acoustic and plugged in ... and I have some pretty fantastic guitars. But in the end, I have unique tastes in ice cream too.

On a side note, if DW is reading this, and you haven't already done so, you need to get Matt Smith onboard as your clinician/demo dog. Besides being a great guy, he loves Ovations and makes them simply come alive. You will never find a better person for the job.
Englishplayer
Posted 2015-05-09 12:34 PM (#510043 - in reply to #508965)

It sounds like I'm in the minority, but the more I play the more I like comfort while playing. I love the feel of the shallow bowl and the mid bowl. They are my "strummer" guitars. I've never found the deep bowl comfortable. And I only played a contour bowl once at a store for a few minutes so I really couldn't comment on that.
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-05-09 12:50 PM (#510045 - in reply to #508965)

Bobbo: "On a side note, if DW is reading this, and you haven't already done so, you need to get Matt Smith onboard as your clinician/demo dog. Besides being a great guy, he loves Ovations and makes them simply come alive. You will never find a better person for the job."

I agree...
Damon67
Posted 2015-05-09 2:31 PM (#510058 - in reply to #508965)

I liked the contour more when I was 70 lbs heavier. I've had a 2778LX, C2078LX 12 string, a 2080 Adamas, and still have a C2078LX 6 string. I would have went with a contour on my Artist, but couldn't find one and went with a mid.

I have more love for the deep bowl, but the contour is easier to play sitting. I've turned a good dozen or so local folks here into Ovation players. A couple of them finally made the jump because of the contour, so to each his own.

Currently I have 8 deep bowls, 4 SSB, 2 mids, 1 contour... and several solid bodies too. If I HAD to choose to eliminate one bowl size, for me it would be the mid. They lack in volume and are almost as big as a deep. A mid-depth 1778LX was my first acoustic Ovation (I've been playing the solid bodies for 30+ years). I loved it's playability, but when I went to play with my wood box guitar playing' friends, they'd drown me out, so I sold it eventually after buying the C2078LX

In re: SSBs, I wasn't a believer at first, but they are just so comfortable and easy to play. Sure I have an EA Viper too, but it has a different tone to it, not the same Ovation sound, even through my processors. I actually got rid of the C2078LX 12 string (A custom shop order), something I said I'd never do, after falling in love with my SSB 12. It plays better than most 6 strings from other manufacturers. I wouldn't play one all acoustic with a group, but for plugging in, they work for me.

elginacres
Posted 2015-05-09 3:34 PM (#510067 - in reply to #508965)

I own an OSH, a WT 12er with a contour bowl (never seen another)...an EA 63 Viper...all very different - I like them all...Damon - if I lose 80 lbs...I will report back out if there is a preference.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-05-09 6:25 PM (#510087 - in reply to #510042)

stonebobbo - 2015-05-09 10:26 AM

I'm a contour bowl fan. I've sold many of my traditional bowl guitars. I still have a few deep bowls, but much prefer the contour. As far as not sounding as rich or deep as traditional bowls, I'd flat out disagree with you. I recently had a guy come to my house to check out Ovations (he decided to buy his first Ovation and I was referred to him by some other musicians as the Ovation expert) and he without a doubt loved the contour and somewhat disliked the deep bowls. He decided that the 07BCS was the best guitar of all, including #49 which was a tad bright for his tastes. Lady Stonebobbo also consistently picks the 07BCS as my best sounding guitar, both acoustic and plugged in ... and I have some pretty fantastic guitars. But in the end, I have unique tastes in ice cream too.

On a side note, if DW is reading this, and you haven't already done so, you need to get Matt Smith onboard as your clinician/demo dog. Besides being a great guy, he loves Ovations and makes them simply come alive. You will never find a better person for the job.

Bobbo and I have played his 07C next to my 87C. Contour vs. Deep, X bracing vs. A. They sound remarkably similar, both great. And like his 07C, my 87C is probably the best sounding O that I have. The 1537 is more lively but not as balanced, and the 30thCL, while sounding great, hasn't opened up as much.

I prefer the deep bowl, but a lot of that is just that I'm used to it and have never played a contour all that much. I agree with a comment that Damon made about the mid depth bowls. They are good by themselves, but tend to get lost in a group setting with a lot of box guitars.......
Designzilla
Posted 2015-05-09 10:02 PM (#510100 - in reply to #508965)

I like the contour bowl on my 2007 Collectors, it's a great sounding and comfortable guitar. I also love the deep bowls though. I never got the slipping complaint. I also have a Country Artist with the mid depth bowl, and I like that too.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-05-10 8:31 AM (#510106 - in reply to #508965)

With several dozen custom, prototypes, or very limited run high end models, which I prefer over my other three dozen standard production models, my preferences and tastes run just short of extreme and really can't or shouldn't be considered when judging the general market. I would defer to experts like Al. My only other comment is that most acoustic guitar players are not professionals and are not going to be playing through an amp, nor standing or sitting in front of a microphone. While amplified sound and playing comfort is important to some (hence my preference for SSb's), neither should be emphasized at the expense of acoustic tone for most of the models sought by general consumers. After all, these basic deep bowl OM sized acoustic only models are the very guitars that attracted me to Ovation in the early 1970's.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2015-05-10 7:42 PM (#510136 - in reply to #509934)

xraiderman - 2015-05-07 10:00 PM

Hi Ovation fan club!!!!

Hello xraiderman,if it hasn't been said enough were all grateful for you joining the forum and taking an interest in our opinions as you revive our beloved usa ovation guitars.

Let me ask a question that i'd think would be on many of our members minds,
Do you own any ovations and if so what's your favorite model?

I'm a deep bowl junkie,10 of my 12 ovations have a deep bowl with 2 mid-depth ones to round out the herd,my personal favorite is the custom legend 1769ADII Al Dimeola signature series,I haven't tried a contour bowl but a Custom Elite 2078 LX is on the list of guitars i would like to own.
Kevin
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-10 9:03 PM (#510148 - in reply to #508965)

At the moment I have 20 Ovations in my office . I have been using Vipers and a D-Scale ovation. I have my heart set on a custom Elite USA and a few other tricks we are working on. I will say that as a player I would use an Ovation over any other brand. In my opinion its a players, players guitar.
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-05-10 9:16 PM (#510149 - in reply to #508965)

So cool to have you on board. I'm excited! So many Ovations I still want.
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-05-10 10:25 PM (#510157 - in reply to #508965)

From a public source (LinkedIn), Mr. Xavier was a Regional Sales Manager for KMC (Ovation, Adamas, and Takamine) in the early 90's. He has almost as many guitars as Nancy
arumako
Posted 2015-05-10 11:05 PM (#510158 - in reply to #510148)

xraiderman - 2015-05-10 11:03 AM

At the moment I have 20 Ovations in my office . I have been using Vipers and a D-Scale ovation. I have my heart set on a custom Elite USA and a few other tricks we are working on. I will say that as a player I would use an Ovation over any other brand. In my opinion its a players, players guitar.

Oh man, oh man...Ovation & the OFC...Great or what!
Nancy
Posted 2015-05-11 10:36 AM (#510163 - in reply to #510157)

Tony Calman - 2015-05-10 10:25 PM

From a public source (LinkedIn), Mr. Xavier was a Regional Sales Manager for KMC (Ovation, Adamas, and Takamine) in the early 90's. He has almost as many guitars as Nancy

LOL!!!! He didn't say how many he has at home! LOL!!!

I am in the beginning Collecting Stage, but I am here for the long haul. We have yet to see what the New DW Ovation will bring to us! Very Exciting!
Damon67
Posted 2015-05-11 12:44 PM (#510166 - in reply to #510148)

xraiderman - 2015-05-10 7:03 PM In my opinion its a players, players guitar.

That's what got me. Nothing plays like an O.

Are you talking solid body Vipers or EA's or the newer Malmsteen signatures?

moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-05-11 6:10 PM (#510192 - in reply to #508965)

I never understood the Malmsteen signature models. How many people actually play a scalloped fingerboard?
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-11 6:31 PM (#510193 - in reply to #508965)

If think if you look at what Godin is offering you can see Ovation was very ahead of the game. That's ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT THAT "Forrest Gump"
Designzilla
Posted 2015-05-11 6:55 PM (#510194 - in reply to #508965)

This is an exciting time to be an Ovation lover! I can't wait to see what's coming.
Slipkid
Posted 2015-05-11 7:02 PM (#510195 - in reply to #510194)

The best I can do is tempered optimism.
Damon67
Posted 2015-05-11 7:06 PM (#510196 - in reply to #510192)

immoody - 2015-05-11 4:10 PM How many people actually play a scalloped fingerboard?

At least one.... me.

Weaser P
Posted 2015-05-11 8:25 PM (#510199 - in reply to #510193)

xraiderman - 2015-05-11 6:31 PM

If think if you look at what Godin is offering you can see Ovation was very ahead of the game. That's ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT THAT "Forrest Gump"

I think this guy is going to fit in quite nicely around here...
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2015-05-11 9:23 PM (#510202 - in reply to #510196)

damon67 - 2015-05-11 7:06 PM

immoody - 2015-05-11 4:10 PM How many people actually play a scalloped fingerboard?

At least one.... me.

Or Two....

(012.jpg)

(008.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 012.jpg (39KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 008.jpg (37KB - 0 downloads)
DanSavage
Posted 2015-05-11 9:52 PM (#510203 - in reply to #510192)

immoody - 2015-05-11 4:10 PM

I never understood the Malmsteen signature models. How many people actually play a scalloped fingerboard?

Before or after, their fingernails dig out the wood of the fingerboard?
guitarwannabee
Posted 2015-05-12 1:30 AM (#510230 - in reply to #508965)

who is the xraiderman ??? i am not saying that you are not for real but all of a sudden a new member says that they are someone from d.w. and in charge of the ovation guitar line and everybody on this forum starts sucking up to this poster as a new messiah.
i don't have anything personal against you xraider but can you give us some credentials of what kind of job you have at d.w ?
we have all been waiting so long long for something positive to come from fender/d.w. to get something rolling on an american ovation built again that people can be pulled in the direction of that they want to here and rumors have been going around for over 3 years so
please give us some reality of who you are and what your statue is with d. w. thank you . GWB
Tony Calman
Posted 2015-05-12 1:46 AM (#510234 - in reply to #508965)

From a public source (LinkedIn):

William (Bill) Xavier is the National Sales Manager for DW and a very strong advocate and believer in Ovation guitars.

Mr. Bill Xavier was a Regional Sales Manager for KMC (Ovation, Adamas, and Takamine) in the early 90's. In addition, Executive Vice President of Sales, Artist Relations, Sales and Marketing, and Business Development for Hanser Music Group, and Director of Sales and Product Development for Peavey Electronics (including Peavey guitars).

He is the 'real deal' and appears to have the necessary 'fire in the belly' that DW and us need to get Ovation reborn.

I am sure that the purchase and developing events would not have happened without the full support of DW's founder Don Lombardi and Chris Lombardi (son of Don and DW's CEO).

Edited by Tony Calman 2015-05-12 2:11 AM
Waskel
Posted 2015-05-12 7:40 AM (#510244 - in reply to #510234)

We know who Bill Xavier is.
The point is you have absolutely no proof (or at least none that's been presented) that xraiderman is Bill Xavier.
For all you know he could just be a troll that happened to be reading these threads about DW and decided to have a little fun.

TAFKAR
Posted 2015-05-12 7:43 AM (#510245 - in reply to #508965)

Miles gave him his own section and has spoken to Bill on the phone.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-05-12 8:23 AM (#510247 - in reply to #508965)

Yes, to be clear, the worst kept secret on the Internet... Yes, xraidarman is Bill. An no, the Irony of the next guy to get Ovation on it's feet is another guy named Bill is not lost.
Nancy
Posted 2015-05-12 8:41 AM (#510252 - in reply to #510202)

2wheeldrummer - 2015-05-11 9:23 PM

Or Two....

That is One Gorgeous Guitar 2WheelDrummer!!!! VERY Nice!!!

Edited by Nancy 2015-05-12 8:42 AM
Damon67
Posted 2015-05-12 10:02 AM (#510268 - in reply to #508965)

The fact that he managed to get an account without me giving access says he's got an inside track somewhere (Miles)

Besides, how could you doubt a Raider fan?
guitarwannabee
Posted 2015-05-12 10:06 AM (#510271 - in reply to #508965)

sounds good to me . GWB
xraiderman
Posted 2015-05-12 10:39 AM (#510279 - in reply to #510230)

I'm not a troll, and I'm not a messiah. I just care about the brand.
Designzilla
Posted 2015-05-12 10:47 AM (#510281 - in reply to #510279)

xraiderman - 2015-05-12 11:39 AM

That's exactly what's been missing, and exactly what we're looking for!

Edited by Designzilla 2015-05-12 10:48 AM
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-05-12 11:15 AM (#510286 - in reply to #508965)

Its wonderful to hear a voice direct from DW on these forums, something we never had with Fender or even the most recent Ovation company. It feels like somebody really cares about our love for the brand.
Waskel
Posted 2015-05-12 12:55 PM (#510294 - in reply to #510279)

xraiderman - 2015-05-12 8:39 AM

No offense intended, Bill. It's just that we've had our share of trolls and scammers here in the past. I was out all day yesterday and didn't notice the Q & A section added. Other than that, I hadn't seen any verification in any threads.

That being said, welcome, we're glad you're here and receptive to input. I too care about the brand (It's the only brand I play). This really is an amazing place full of details about Ovations and Adamii.

Edited by Waskel 2015-05-12 12:57 PM
PEZ
Posted 2015-05-12 2:23 PM (#510298 - in reply to #509943)

xraiderman - 2015-05-07 11:45 PM

I run Ovation guitars and you guys mean allot to me.....

Welcome and nice to have you here!
PEZ
Posted 2015-05-12 2:28 PM (#510300 - in reply to #510035)

Jonmark Stone - 2015-05-09 11:01 AM

Played a few contours. After over 40+ years, prefer a bowl. Deep and mid, each have their place in my work. Don't really care for super shallows. Any performing situation that might call for a SSB, I'd use my EA-68.
And, of course, just my personal opinions.

I never cared for contours either bought gave it to my nephew.
Patch
Posted 2015-05-12 2:45 PM (#510303 - in reply to #510286)

boltonb - 2015-05-12 12:15 PM Its wonderful to hear a voice direct from DW on these forums, something we never had with Fender or even the most recent Ovation company. It feels like somebody really cares about our love for the brand.

I'll second that opinion. Good to see you out and about the digiverse Bill.