I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!
Patch
Posted 2015-04-09 8:36 AM (#508621)
Subject: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

Recent threads finally pushed me to screw up some courage, in a tactful kind of way, and try to contact someone....anyone....at DW about our favorite instruments.

A fellow by the name of Bill Xavier responded within about 24 hours. Although I wish there was more detail, I certainly cannot fault their overall response. Here is the entire digital conversation. My flagging hopes are just that much higher this morning.....I think....might just be internal percolation from a poor diet yesterday too. Either way, it is a cautiously optimistic feeling that something is on the move.

My thoughts are in blue and Bill's Answers are in red:

Good afternoon,

My name is Patrick McGuire, and I was hoping that you might be able to fill in a blank or two for me and many friends who happen to be passionate fans of the Ovation/Adamas instrument brands.

I realize that your company only recently acquired the brand from FMIC, so I am certain your responses must be couched with a certain level of caution, but rumors have begun to fly about the internet, so I was hoping you might be able to provide some honest direction, or at least shoot some of the more blatant fantasies out of the water completely. In an effort not to waste too much of your time, I will try to make my questions succinct:

Are there any plans to start building Ovation/Adamas guitars in the USA again? (Is there any flesh to these plans if they exist? Are you in a position to elaborate at all?)

There has been absolutely no reference at all regarding the Adamas line. Any specific news there? Do you own that brand as well?

Rumor has it that much of the tooling specifically geared to Ovations in New Hartford, CT was dumped when the factory was closed. Would a re-tool of the brand have to re-build from the ground up?

Do you also control the overseas construction of Ovations still in production?

And finally, despite trying not to get my hopes up, or those of people I know for that matter, is there by chance some sort of time frame at least laid out in theory?

Please understand that I stand to gain nothing from the re-invigoration of the brand other than the chance to add to a collection of Ovations that already makes my wife's eyes roll with patience. I did know many of the former employees in New Hartford, as I live within driving distance and picked up many repaired and new instruments there in person. (Why trust a shipper when you don't have to right?) I have also written and laid out Ovation-themed calendars for the Ovation Fan Club for the last three years. In short, I love these instruments.

I am truly just trying to sort through the rumors as best as possible.

So thank you kindly for your time. I sincerely look forward to your response.

Hopefully yours,

Patrick McGuire

And here is Bill's response:

Dear Patrick,

I cannot go into details but I will respond to your questions below with very little detail if that is ok. You are welcome to email me anytime.

And I wouldn’t mind from time to time asking you questions as a loyal Ovation fan.

Bill Xavier

Are there any plans to start building Ovation/Adamas guitars in the USA again? (Is there any flesh to these plans if they exist? Are you in a position to elaborate at all?)

• Yes 100%!

There has been absolutely no reference at all regarding the Adamas line. Any specific news there? Do you own that brand as well?

• Yes we do own all things Ovation (Adamas, Applause and Ovation)

Rumor has it that much of the tooling specifically geared to Ovations in New Hartford, CT was dumped when the factory was closed. Would a re-tool of the brand have to re-build from the ground up?

• That’s a bad and 100% untrue rumor.

Do you also control the overseas construction of Ovations still in production?

• Yes!

And finally, despite trying not to get my hopes up, or those of people I know for that matter, is there by chance some sort of time frame at least laid out in theory?

• Don’t want to jinx our plans so my lips are sealed…

Please understand that I stand to gain nothing from the re-invigoration of the brand other than the chance to add to a collection of Ovations that already makes my wife's eyes roll with patience. I did know many of the former employees in New Hartford, as I live within driving distance and picked up many! repaired and new instruments there in person. (Why trust a shipper when you don't have to right?) I have also written and laid out Ovation-themed calendars for the Ovation Fan Club for the last three years. In short, I love these instruments.

• You will be proud soon……

Ok...So the words were his and that last bit of emphasis was mine, but what can I say? I'm a little more hopeful now...or maybe it's all the coffee this morning. Now it's all y'all's turn to hash it out a bit.

Edited by Patch 2015-04-09 8:45 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 8:50 AM (#508622 - in reply to #508621)
Subject: RE: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Doin' Da Happy Dance!!!!!!

Very well written letter Patch! The questions were very well thought out and asked, and allowed Mr Xavier to give us the answers that he was allowed to, without giving us more than they were ready to at this time!! And it all sounds Very Positive!!! Excellent!!!

Doin' Da Happy Dance!!!!!
arumako
Posted 2015-04-09 9:07 AM (#508623 - in reply to #508621)
Subject: Re: I heard from DRUM WORKS yesterday!

Holy Molly! Thanks for the thoughtful follow-up, Patch! My heart is racing...patience, patience...

Edited by arumako 2015-04-09 9:08 AM
nerdydave
Posted 2015-04-09 9:32 AM (#508625 - in reply to #508621)

Muy interesante!!
DetlefMichel
Posted 2015-04-09 9:34 AM (#508626 - in reply to #508621)

I keep my fingers crossed for all the Ovation people.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-09 9:42 AM (#508630 - in reply to #508621)

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!!!!!

I nominate Patch for citizen of the year!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-09 9:59 AM (#508634 - in reply to #508621)

Thanks, Patch. Great job on getting a connection that should benefit both the manufacturer and the customers in the future.
Slipkid
Posted 2015-04-09 10:02 AM (#508635 - in reply to #508621)

Great news on the tooling.
Geostorm98
Posted 2015-04-09 10:10 AM (#508639 - in reply to #508621)

DW=Drum Workshop...there's a few pics of my DW's in this link.
Ovation and DW, this is going to work!
https://plus.google.com/photos/105567705311232066629/albums/57011930...
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2015-04-09 10:18 AM (#508640 - in reply to #508621)

This sounds awesome Patch!
I was wondering if it might influence them a little knowing just how many folks out there support and love the Ovation brand.
That said, maybe you could give us his contact information and some of us could start shooting him an e-mail here or there you know?
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-09 10:26 AM (#508641 - in reply to #508621)

If their buy-in isn't too much I would be so proud to be an authorised dealer. People here in South Dakota just LOVE Ovations. Every time I get a used one in it sells within days.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 11:23 AM (#508643 - in reply to #508641)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-04-09 10:26 AM

If their buy-in isn't too much I would be so proud to be an authorised dealer. People here in South Dakota just LOVE Ovations. Every time I get a used one in it sells within days.

It would be Fabulous to have a Dealer up here in the Midwest!!!
Glen C.
Posted 2015-04-09 12:11 PM (#508644 - in reply to #508621)

Great job Patch. You would think that DW is aware of an online Ovation fan club but I wonder if a shot note to them alerting them to that fact might be a good thing to do.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 1:09 PM (#508645 - in reply to #508644)

GCates - 2015-04-09 12:11 PM

Great job Patch. You would think that DW is aware of an online Ovation fan club but I wonder if a shot note to them alerting them to that fact might be a good thing to do.

I sent them the link a few days ago, Mr Lombardi and Mr Xavier, told them there were thousands of us strong, eagerly anticipating their new US Enterprise, and how wonderful it would be to be able to keep working with John B and the Boys. I sent the link and asked them to join and see the excitement and questions. Nothing as eloquent as Patch of course, but definitely filled with excitement!

I think the more people that let them know we are excited to see the New US Ovations, the Better!
Damon67
Posted 2015-04-09 1:18 PM (#508646 - in reply to #508621)

Patch, this news is absolutely ridiculous. According to several members this just can't be done.

Let's hope they'e not tuning in here for 'expert' advise/opinions.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-09 1:36 PM (#508647 - in reply to #508644)

GCates - 2015-04-09 10:11 AM

I can confirm that DW is WELL aware of the Ovation FanClub and in fact reached out to us. Unfortunately I cannot say anything more except this...

They WILL NOT RUSH into anything. They will do what has to be done to do it correctly, whatever "it" is. Keep in mind this other point.. DW is NOT owned by outside investors.

For those who don't wiki, and because I think it's worth repeating... here are two clips from their wiki which can be found at ... Drum Workshop Wiki

FIrst... does this sound familiar in any way ??
"DW pioneered the timbre-matching technique of grouping a set of drumshells together by listening to the note each shell holds before it is sanded. Each shell that comes out of the DW factory is stamped with the note of that shell on the inside. DW offers pre-made standard sized sets as well as custom drums made to customer specification."

And look at their endorcers..   Remember, unlike guitar endorsers who may play a particular brand guitar on one tune, drummers generallyl pick a brand and stick to it, are known for it, and play it every time, all the time.  It's their reputation.  I imagine a pretty likely conversation would be "hey... DW is building Ovation guitars, lets check'em out." 

Now look at who's playing DW drums...  I've actually heard of most of these people or at least the bands they play in.  I wish I could say the same about the resent Ovation endorsements.   Me thinks that's gonna change.  Also note, while some great drummers "use" DW drums, they make the distinction of those who are endoresed by DW Drums.  That also seems significant to me.

"Many highly regarded drummers endorse[5] DW, including Virgil Donati, Joe Morello, Derek Roddy (Serpents Rise), Dave Grohl, Stephen Perkins, Dominic Howard (Muse), Luke Holland (The Word Alive), Alejandro González (Maná (De la Tierra) Steve Jocz (Sum 41), Brooks Wackerman (Bad Religion), Scott Travis (Judas Priest), Scott Phillips (Creed and Alter Bridge), Abe Laboriel Jr. (Paul McCartney), Neil Peart[6] of Rush, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, Will Berman of MGMT, Dave Matthews Band's Carter Beauford, Zak Starkey, and Nickelback and Martone drummer Daniel Adair. Thomas Lang has also recently switched to DW drums. Terry Bozzio and the late Troy Penland use them as well. Tony Royster Jr. is on their endorsment list along with Max Weinberg and José Pasillas from Incubus (band) And Atom Willard(Angels & Airwaves).

Others include Jason Bonham (Black Country Communion, Led Zeppelin) Tommy Clufetos (Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent), Kelly Keagy (Night Ranger), Bruce Becker (David Becker Tribune), Victor Loyo (Luis Miguel and studio session drummer), Thomas Pridgen (The Memorials, The Mars Volta, Christian Scott, Wicked Wisdom, Keyshia Cole), Eric Moore (Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves), Rex Hardy Jr. Mary J. Blige, Cobus Potgieter and Matt Greiner (August Burns Red) Venzella Joy Williams (Beyonce).

Eagles drummers Don Henley (main drummer) and Scott Crago (backup drummer) are well known users of DW and are endorsed by the company. Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac is also a DW artist."

I like this company the more I read about them.

Miles

Jimmer
Posted 2015-04-09 3:00 PM (#508650 - in reply to #508621)

Wow! Well that gives me some hope. The patient still has a pulse.

It's great to hear that the tooling still exists. The tooling and the skilled crafts people who built the guitars are the most important ingredients.

Fingers crossed.

I picked up a 1687 that could use a tune up. I think it's time to bring it on up to New Hartford. Couldn't hurt to show continued interest in the repair shop.

Edited by Jimmer 2015-04-09 3:01 PM
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 3:33 PM (#508651 - in reply to #508650)

Here is the Tour of the DW Factory....

http://youtu.be/QPighlLYd2c

Pretty Impressive! Looks like they take great pride in their Products too!
Damon67
Posted 2015-04-09 4:02 PM (#508652 - in reply to #508621)

Those are pretty much the best drummers in the freekin' world... Bozzio, Peart, and Beauford are my personal top 3 favs.

It's been said in other discussions that endorsers mean very little. I disagree 100%. If that were the case, why is there so much emphasis placed on it with advertisements in the mags? You nearly ALWAYS see a familiar face backing it up, from $.25 plectrums, to $5k guitars, to $20k drum kits.

I still want an Alex Lifeson signature ES-355... Wouldn't mind his new Lerxst Omega amp either. If Alex plays 'em, I want 'em too. Guess what nylon stringed instrument he played last time I saw him here...

I want one of those too.

Edited by Damon67 2015-04-09 4:11 PM
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-09 4:21 PM (#508653 - in reply to #508621)

Outstanding fishing expedition Patch!

And Miles, thanks for the extra info, that's pretty damned exciting!

This won't happen overnight, but it sounds like things are being done in a thoughtful manner. This is great news!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-09 4:25 PM (#508654 - in reply to #508621)

I may actually change my opinions about drummers. Well, probably not.
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-09 4:26 PM (#508655 - in reply to #508621)

Damon, I think you are absolutely right about endorsers. Those early Ovation ads got me interested in the brand, and I'll bet Glen Campbell sold a bunch of people here.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-04-09 4:30 PM (#508656 - in reply to #508647)

mileskb - 2015-04-09 2:36 PM

They WILL NOT RUSH into anything. They will do what has to be done to do it correctly, whatever "it" is.

Exactly. Not to be Mr poopy-pants, but I think they will evaluate the profit potential and decide that it's not viable
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-09 4:31 PM (#508657 - in reply to #508621)

Well done Patch! I'm now going to have to start saving/softening up SWMBO.
SOBeach
Posted 2015-04-09 5:00 PM (#508659 - in reply to #508656)

darkbarguitar - Not to be Mr poopy-pants, but...

no soup for you!

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-09 5:15 PM (#508660 - in reply to #508659)

SOBeach - 2015-04-09 5:00 PM

darkbarguitar - Not to be Mr poopy-pants, but...

no soup for you!

OMG I just snorted Mt Dew all over my screen and keyboard! LMBO!!!!!!!
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-04-10 8:20 AM (#508670 - in reply to #508621)

Way to go, Patch. It will take time. Looks like we'll have some great forum fodder for the future.
Standingovation
Posted 2015-04-10 9:03 AM (#508671 - in reply to #508621)

This will be great if it happens. Crossing fingers. Begs the question ... what potential did DW see in this that FMIC, Cordioba, etc did not. I guess time will tell.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-10 9:47 AM (#508675 - in reply to #508621)

Well, Fender cares not a bit about putting out a quality product - only pumping out large numbers. And Cordoba is such a small company with experience in building wood boxes only that taking on Guild alone is going to be a challenge. But DW is a large enough company that they have the $ and manpower to expand, plus they are a company that puts quality first. I am sure they have done the research and realize that in its heyday, quality was what made Ovation great and what put O's in the hands of so many "stars". And with their philosophy and business model, it seems they believe they can resurrect Ovation and make it profitable.

And I agree with them.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-04-10 10:55 AM (#508676 - in reply to #508621)

They would need SOMEthing to focus on, other than the bowl, which doesn't really have much appeal to most players. And the electronics are good, but no better than many others. I'd focus on the neck, particularly the 5 piece neck. All future ad campaigns could feature prominent players, ranting about how fantastic the neck is, the shape of it, and the "playability factor", how it will improve YOUR playing, blah, blah, blah. It'll create the question in new guitar buyers as to "what's the deal with those Ovation necks? Maybe I should check 'em out."
Some of it will be placebo effect, some will truly agree that the neck IS superior, and others will say spoo. But the important thing is to give newbies a REASON to want to try one. That will also create a reason for store owners to carry the brand, at least a couple for people to demo.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-10 12:31 PM (#508678 - in reply to #508675)

I watched the DW Tour Video, and they seem to have allot of Innovative Equipment and Ideas, like Ovation had. They have their own proprietary machines, their own glues, their own Graphics Department, and their Quality Control areas are to be envied at any mfg plant! They test and re-test throughout the entire process. They even make their own wood/plywood!!

I am really excited about DW, you can't fault their Pride and Workmanship, they are more concerned about Quality than Quantity, and know that it is a long road to the Top. I like too, that they are not rushing into anything, but exploring all of their options. They have made the decision to do it, now just to decide the Best way possible so they can do it right the first time. They have the background and knowledge in production and sales to do Ovation/Adamas right, and they are willing to put the hours in to create a high end product. Obviously, they could make their drums faster and cheaper, but that doesn't seem to be their goal, they are in it for the long haul, and if that means taking 10 steps instead of 3, to put out the Best, they don't mind the extra work.

Personally, I am very excited to see the new possibilities in design, and finish work they will offer. Just like Patch custom ordered Redwood faces, not the normal Spruce, it will be interesting to see what new woods, and designs they can create. I don't know squat about drums, but the ones they showed being made in the video are what I would buy, over the Walmart Brand, even if I had to save up for a while to do it. Sell not so gently used body parts, blood, my younger sister....

And I like that they do not have to answer to Investors. That is Huge!

Just my .02 FWIW

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-10 12:43 PM
Patch
Posted 2015-04-10 2:05 PM (#508680 - in reply to #508621)

Well how's this for a pleasant surprise?

Bill Xavier called me earlier today and we talked for over an hour. I promised and re-promised to maintain an appropriate level of discretion about everything we discussed, but I can admit to a couple of things:

• There is no small amount of thought and effort being directed at re-launching the brand.
  • If Bill is any indication, customer service at DW is the equal of the venerated mothership. He's easy to talk to and seems to genuinely, and respectfully, appreciate input.
  • And most important, he and his colleagues are....repeat....ARE paying attention to people like us. Many things he said have been topics of debate on this site more than once.

All in all, my hopes are trending up.

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-10 2:25 PM (#508681 - in reply to #508680)

YES!!!!!!!!!

That is WONDERFUL Patch!!!! Thank You for the update and great news!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-10 2:32 PM (#508683 - in reply to #508621)

On other fronts, this lead time will allow the less-affluent, & more discretionary-stringent, OFC members (read Yours Truly, as BFLG charter member), to save the requisite funds to allow financial support of this new venture & resurrection, with a new model purchase. It will be my 1st new purchase, of ANY guitar, and I'm excited, too!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-04-10 4:37 PM (#508685 - in reply to #508621)

I hope they don't do too much checking up on us. They might find that thread in the archives about drummers and banjo players. (Now everyone do a search and see if you can find it faster than OMA.) Don't spend too much time, because at least the drummer part may be a figment of my imagination.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-10 4:48 PM (#508686 - in reply to #508671)

Standingovation - 2015-04-10 7:03 AM
This will be great if it happens. Crossing fingers. Begs the question ... what potential did DW see in this that FMIC, Cordioba, etc did not. I guess time will tell.

FMIC didn't look for potential. They were VERY clear that they acquired "Kaman Music Corp" which was a distribution network. Anything else that was rolled into the deal was fine if it was making money, but not important. It made them one of the largest musical gear distribution networks on the planet, which in turn made them look sweet to JAM.

On the other side of it, DW bought percussion names.. That in itself not only elevated those names or if not, at least gave them even more street cred than they already had, and lets face it, names like LP and Gretch have been a staple for a loooong time. It appears the terms were they had to take Ovation with it. But as they are all about making quality instruments, rather than just let it lay on the floor, they are looking to see what they can do with Ovation too.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-10 4:58 PM (#508687 - in reply to #508621)

If this comes about, it's going to be interesting to see who their target market is. I'm 60 years old and have, what I consider to be, the best of the best -- A braced acoustic only Legend, 1537, 87C, 30th CL, OFC I slothead, and Adamas I 12 string. Will they build something that motivates me to pull out my credit card? I hope so.

Or will they build a guitar and market it to the under 40 crowd? Who knows. At this point, I read this thread with interest but don't know what the future will bring.
tpa
Posted 2015-04-10 6:09 PM (#508688 - in reply to #508621)

I am not a collector so I may buy another new Ovation/Adamas - but not buy many. It will be a super shallow bowl and "true" to the design of which I happen to be very fond. And preferably made in North America. Making american guitars in USA makes sense to me. To give american workers some work, to make the owners of the instruments proud and for keeping the myth alive. Thats how naive I am :-) Good news and good luck to the Drum guys. My fingers are crossed.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-04-10 6:12 PM (#508689 - in reply to #508621)

Think about it Moody - it took five guitars until you had what you deem the best of the best. How many other O fans have those same five guitars? To someone else maybe a totally different five guitars would seem to be the best. Flavors of ice cream, you know?

Look at me - I have an A braced Legend, a 2077LX, an old Balladeer, A pristine Custom Legend, an Adamas, and a baritone Adamas. I think THESE are the best of the best.

But you know what? I'm still in the market. As long as the quality is there I will always be in the market.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-10 6:43 PM (#508692 - in reply to #508621)

Good points CanterburyStrings and Moody.. I have the OFC2 and a Medallion. I also have a Pacemaker and an Acedemy but the two best are the Medallion and OFC2. The medallion doesn't have a pre-amp, the only wood is the top, it's beat, it's opened up, it's perfect to noodle on and write songs with. The OFC2 is what I would use to play out or record. But I'm open to something topping the OFC2, I just can't imagine what it would be. Maybe something with higher end pre-amps and better battery management etc.. Maybe with a slotted headstock of somesort.. but really... for me, I have the best and it's going to be different for everyone.

On the other side... It seems like "reading their market" is one thing DW is good at. The listen to what their players want, they collaborate and they bring it market for all to enjoy. Can't really beat that system.
Cripple Rick
Posted 2015-04-10 6:43 PM (#508693 - in reply to #508621)

Hey everybody,
I have been following this thread with Great interest. Thanks to Patch for getting the info-ball rolling, but my post is primarily for any DW folks reading this. I have 2 Korean made Ovations (a Celebrity and an Elite), both very nice guitars, and I also have a 33 yr old USA made Ovation #1111-1. I also have 4 Martins and 1 Gibson. The #1111-1 sounds every bit as good as any of the Martins, and Much better than the Gibson. Just an opinion, but I think any R & D for a new Ovation should definitely run deep into how they were making American Ovations 3 decades ago. Best wishes to all, and 'Thank you' in advance to the DW family.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-10 7:02 PM (#508694 - in reply to #508693)

Cripple Rick, that is interesting, I just put up an album here with my Guitars, and noticed that the bulk of them are '76 and '77's. The one I have in my living room to play daily, is the '77 Custom Balladeer #1112-2. There is no comparison between that old '77, and my newer, Korean made C2079AX, the old Girl sounds so much better, even if the C2079 is newer, has all the new fangled electronics, bling, and was 5 times the price.

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-10 7:06 PM
arumako
Posted 2015-04-10 8:00 PM (#508696 - in reply to #508683)

seesquare - 2015-04-10 4:32 AM

On other fronts, this lead time will allow the less-affluent, & more discretionary-stringent, OFC members (read Yours Truly, as BFLG charter member), to save the requisite funds to allow financial support of this new venture & resurrection, with a new model purchase. It will be my 1st new purchase, of ANY guitar, and I'm excited, too!

I'm with you on that seesquare. If this thing goes through, and Os are made in the US again, my next guitar (that I pay for) is going to be a new USA made O! By the time I have enough saved up, I should be done with my 1868 Elite rebuild and my iDea soundboard upgrade! A friend of mine just gave me a broken '87 Kramer Ferrington B1 Bass that I'll be fixing up too. Great "lead-time" filler 'stuff' to work on! If you can't afford it, BFLG it! Exciting!

Edited by arumako 2015-04-10 8:01 PM
Standingovation
Posted 2015-04-10 8:32 PM (#508698 - in reply to #508621)

If a company is as passionate about their products and their fans are willing to one up their wallets and buy one you've got a success story.
muzza
Posted 2015-04-10 9:52 PM (#508700 - in reply to #508687)

moody, p.i. - 2015-04-11 8:58 AM Will they build something that motivates me to pull out my credit card? I hope so.

How about something like this Paul? It would enable you to be able to play that elusive 4th chord. (Click on the link below)

http://youtu.be/cXgB3lIvPHI

Edited by muzza 2015-04-10 9:56 PM
tpa
Posted 2015-04-11 5:04 AM (#508701 - in reply to #508698)

Standingovation - 2015-04-10 8:32 PM

If a company is as passionate about their products and their fans are willing to one up their wallets and buy one you've got a success story.

Yes but even if every member of every related guitar forum buy one they will still need to rebuild the customer base above entry level. A good deal of focus and luck may be required as well.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-11 9:33 AM (#508704 - in reply to #508700)

muzza - 2015-04-10 7:52 PM

moody, p.i. - 2015-04-11 8:58 AM Will they build something that motivates me to pull out my credit card? I hope so.

How about something like this Paul? It would enable you to be able to play that elusive 4th chord. (Click on the link below)

http://youtu.be/cXgB3lIvPHI

Muz, whoever built that has way too much time on their hands and desparately needs a life.......
ProfessorBB
Posted 2015-04-11 10:42 AM (#508705 - in reply to #508621)

Almost everything I play these days are customs, so these posts about what it would take for me to be attracted to a new production guitar from a resurrected Ovation/Adamas brand causes me to stop and think. The answer is I don't know. For the past three years, all my purchases are for stage gear like amps, stage snakes, powered monitors, digital mixers, and ata cabs. I'm insane. Always chasing that perfect sound.
jbblunck
Posted 2015-04-11 11:28 AM (#508709 - in reply to #508621)

I bought my 1115 12-string new in late '73 early '74. Loved the sound, played it avidly until about '77 and then life got in the way. Late last year I decided to get back into playing, and thought that a 6-string Ovation would be a good addition. I was ready to buy a Korean-made Elite when I stumbled on the news about Fender, the factory close, etc - and this forum. This set me on a course of finding a reasonably priced recent USA models. One led to two, two led to three, and finally a vintage electric. A modest collection, but representative in a middle-of-the-road way.

I was happy to read about DW's purchase of Kaman, and if the indications are accurate, will happily support the new USA efforts. It will be a tall order to restore luster to the brand and educate an entirely new generation of potential customers. More like mounting a new business than jump-starting an old one. If history is any guide, endorsements and popular television put Ovation on the map. Not as easy in today's more crowded media environment.

Amazing to me how Ovation's business cratered so quickly with the purchase by Fender. Guild as well. Greed knows no boundaries it would seem.

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-04-11 2:23 PM (#508712 - in reply to #508709)

jbblunck - 2015-04-11 9:28 AM

Amazing to me how Ovation's business cratered so quickly with the purchase by Fender.
Not really.

I am pretty sure that there is an easy way to make money by destroying businesses.
Just buy a business, run it into the ground, Fire all the workers, create some "credit default swaps" (or whatever they are) write-off all of your losses. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
Because of Mythology, people seem to think of Leo Fender and that little radio shop that started making amplifiers and Teles and Strats and such in sunny California.
And they are still making the same Teles, Strats, and Jaguars that Leo was making over 50 years ago.
(because nobody has had a new idea... Just keep re-issuing commemorative models)

FMIC is a holding company. FMIC tried to issue stock to milk money out of the name, they were hoping that they could make money just from the name... kinda like Harley Davidson.
But no investors were stupid enough to buy during the run-up to the IPO... so that was cancelled.
Unlike Harley-Davidson that was revitalized by people who Ride, Build and Repair motorcycles...
Fender is NOT run by people who Play, Build or Repair guitars.
Fender is run by accountants. Before someone sez it, some accountants do play guitars. But their job is NOT to Make Guitars... Their job is to Make Money.

Greed knows no boundaries it would seem.
d'ovation
Posted 2015-04-11 3:15 PM (#508713 - in reply to #508712)

arthurseery - 2015-04-11 1:23 PM  But their job is NOT to Make Guitars... Their job is to Make Money.] Greed knows no boundaries it would seem.

Well that's the purpose of every business isn't it (maybe with the exception of Ubuntu). So unless you have some benevolent sponsor there is always a need to be profitable to be able to pay for supplies, labour, infrastructure, research, etc in the long term and provide a readson for the the enterprise to exist. Its not constructive in this thread to look backwards on how to NOT accomplish that goal, but rather appreciate the idea that the new owners seem to be commited to finding a way on how this could be done with Ovation. This has been discussed quite a bit over the last few days/weeks and I think most have come to the realization that this will not be an easy task and will have to overcome a lot of hurdles. But I think we all hope that there will enough goodwill, skills, assets, innovation AND financial backing to make this work somehow and hpefully in a few years we will have opportunity to buy a new Adamas again.

Edited by d'ovation 2015-04-11 3:16 PM
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-04-11 6:37 PM (#508721 - in reply to #508621)

I cannot understand why some people feel a need to defend corporate greed... Every Time.

Also, I was responding to the statement:
jbblunck - 2015-04-11 9:28 AM

Amazing to me how Ovation's business cratered so quickly with the purchase by Fender.

It is possible to make a good product and a good profit without screwing people.
“Customer first, employee second, shareholder third” So sez Jack Ma.
Many companies do that... Fender ain't one of them.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2015-04-11 6:42 PM
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-12 9:59 AM (#508731 - in reply to #508621)

We have plenty of time to debate the issue. "Time will tell". Bottom line though- "Put your money, where your mouth is".
seesquare
Posted 2015-04-12 10:00 AM (#508732 - in reply to #508621)

And, a lot of mouths.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-12 8:44 PM (#508754 - in reply to #508713)

merlin666 - 2015-04-11 1:15 PM
arthurseery - 2015-04-11 1:23 PM  But their job is NOT to Make Guitars... Their job is to Make Money.] Greed knows no boundaries it would seem.

Well that's the purpose of every business isn't it

"purpose" Actually no.   For some yes, but not for all by long shot.  Investment Cap companies and the like look at how to make money.  Money is their commoditiy.  But for the rest... most of the most successful companies and corporations make a product or provide a service they are best at... the money is just icing on the cake, the reward if you will.    

alpep
Posted 2015-04-13 8:33 AM (#508769 - in reply to #508621)

Ive been trying to get a gibralter order since namm.......
Patch
Posted 2015-04-13 9:24 AM (#508771 - in reply to #508621)

I've spent the weekend mulling over my conversation with Bill. And though I certainly retain a respectful level of caution about getting my hopes too high (Who wouldn't after last year huh?). I have come to one conclusion that is too positive to keep to myself.

Everything he said had far too many details to be nothing but pure market-speak. His ideas were thought through with some sincere attention to detail. His questions for me were based in reality and often related to many topics discussed on this forum and others with regards to strengths and weakness of the Ovation BRAND and CONCEPT, not the guitars themselves. This is an important distinction. He knows , just like we do, that the instruments are good. He is focused on getting them into people's hands to see for themselves.

In other words, they are taking their time, thinking things through, and nosing around in both obvious and discreet ways to get feedback from the people who play guitars at every skill level. It is difficult to not be at least a little impressed with the effort if nothing else.

So I remain cautiously hopeful. Which is a darn sight better than how I felt about Ovation a week ago.

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-13 10:37 AM (#508779 - in reply to #508771)

I don't think that they got to the Market Position that they are at now, and have the Big Name Drummers (I will take your word for that) using their Products, if they didn't *know* their demographics, and their Target Audience.

And then to be able to use that knowledge to give the Artists what they wanted in a Quality Product to keep bringing them back for more.

Selling one of something crappy gives you a sale, but not the base and resales that you need to advance and compete in the Market and earn that Name for yourself. And if people don't come back, you are constantly looking for more people to dump just one piece on. It is a never ending race to earn a buck and stay in business. But if you make Quality, and do your due diligence on the market, the product and explore every possible avenue to get it out there, and make people WANT it, and come BACK for more, you have a solid base and a good chance at a long and profitable run with it.

DW did this with their Drums, and now they are doing it with our Ovations/Adamas. I am hoping that what they launch will be something we can all be proud of, and Want To Have! It would be a Win/Win for all of us then! I am very Excited, but then again, I am always Excited, I rely on level heads like yours to keep me in check!
jay
Posted 2015-04-13 11:56 AM (#508785 - in reply to #508754)

But for the rest... most of the most successful companies and corporations make a product or provide a service they are best at... the money is just icing on the cake, the reward if you will.   

If there were no icing...they would not be a successful company. The bottom line is always the purpose...or it's a hobby or Radio Shack, Edsel, Kodak, Ovation, etc. This is probably a chicken/egg discussion.

Edited by jay 2015-04-13 11:58 AM
Patch
Posted 2015-04-13 12:29 PM (#508789 - in reply to #508621)

I've always felt that there is a great difference between turning a good, comfortable profit and squeezing every thin dime from an enterprise to the exclusion of all other business concerns.

The second can only be accomplished by trading off quality and stripping down labor cost. Such slash and burn profit mongering does not lend itself to long-term business success for a variety of reasons.

Waskel
Posted 2015-04-13 2:26 PM (#508796 - in reply to #508621)

Companies are in business to make money, period. Otherwise, they'd be non-profits.
There's a difference between making money and making money in an intelligent, sustainable fashion. The former is "damn the torpedos and who cares about the customer once they've paid". The latter requires actually caring about the customer satisfaction long term.
muzza
Posted 2015-04-13 7:59 PM (#508807 - in reply to #508621)

I don't think Ovation will ever regain anywhere near the reputation it once enjoyed. Too many guitarists regard it as a cheap low-medium quality (crap) guitar and I firmly believe the reason behind it stems from somebody's STUPID decision to call Celebacies 'Ovations'. 

Regardless of the quality of the products that may come of this venture, it's going to take some pretty nifty marketing to shift the attitude of established guitar players, which is where I assume the US made product will be aimed. Nifty marketing, AND innovation, AND quality.

Thats a big ask. 

TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-13 9:58 PM (#508809 - in reply to #508621)

It's do-able though. Think about Japanese cars in the early '70s - cheap crap. Then they became, good value for money. Now it means quality at a reasonable price.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-04-14 5:52 AM (#508818 - in reply to #508809)

richard.parker - 2015-04-13 10:58 PM

It's do-able though. Think about Japanese cars in the early '70s - cheap crap. Then they became, good value for money. Now it means quality at a reasonable price.

Think about AMERICAN cars in the 80's - cheap crap. Then they became, good value for the money.
Slipkid
Posted 2015-04-14 7:06 AM (#508819 - in reply to #508621)

Agreed Bob.
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-14 9:30 AM (#508830 - in reply to #508621)

I think Ovation is a brand ready for a competent reboot/relaunch.

It is possible to overcome the sins of the past - low quality import guitars indistinguishable from high quality USA models - and generate new interest in the brand. But it's not a simple task. I feel better about a longer more purposeful process than I would if the mothership were just reopened tomorrow.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-04-14 2:04 PM (#508840 - in reply to #508621)

It is not like all of those "low quality import guitars indistinguishable from high quality USA models" are gonna disappear. As we speak, I am sure that hundreds of AX, TX, and Celebrity guitars are working their way through the assembly lines of Asia.
And Ovation will forever be plagued by "I played an Ovation once a Guitar Center, it was crap".*

But! Everyday that I go out an play someone compliments my Ovation/Adamas.
(and it ain't cuz of my playing)

*BTW-- I played a couple of Martin HPL guitars next to a Celebrity at a Guitar Center and the Celebrity sounded much better than any of the HPL Martins, which sounded like wet cardboard compared to a CC24.
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-14 2:37 PM (#508842 - in reply to #508621)

Arthur you are very right about all those lower quality ones not going anywhere soon. But ideally there will be something to identify the new from the old. Maybe it's as simple as a new label or maybe something altogether new. But if they make a great product that CAN be distinguished from what came before - both good and bad, and they can get them in the hands of infulencers, then a lot of naysayers will give them another chance.

Sad to say but I think, ideally, if you could look at a new (future production model) Ovation and say, "Oh this is one of the new ones!", that would be a good thing. It's f'ing crazy that ovation built $400 guitars that looked almost identical to $4000 guitars!

With a rebranding or relaunch, you want to draw a line in the sand and say this is who we are now, and this is what we do now. Sometimes you build on your legacy, sometimes you distance yourself from it. Often it's a bit of both.
tpa
Posted 2015-04-14 3:00 PM (#508845 - in reply to #508621)

Its almost like christmas. You never know what Santa brings :-)
d'ovation
Posted 2015-04-14 4:11 PM (#508847 - in reply to #508842)

Designzilla

ideally, if you could look at a new (future production model) Ovation and say, "Oh this is one of the new ones!", that would be a good thing. It's f'ing crazy that ovation built $400 guitars that looked almost identical to $4000 guitars! With a rebranding or relaunch, you want to draw a line in the sand and say this is who we are now, and this is what we do now.

I think that just before the end they did some tinkering with a new logo and headstock and a bridge with pins. There was some prototype that was released and discussed here. I don't think that was the right direction to go, though.

red-twins
Posted 2015-04-14 4:13 PM (#508848 - in reply to #508621)

Hi guys, tomorow the german music fair starts at Frankfurt, Namm's European equivalent.

Found out that Ovation will be there... so I did a bit of research.

The address given on the fair's website for the brand is

Lunar Court 3450

93030 Oxnard CA

you may know that one?

Then I Found out that the Guitars will be shown by GEWAmusic, a distributor. they also do DW drums in Germany. So I guess they are the actual distributor in Germany ( which used to be Fender).

unfortunately, or, strangely, the GEWA website does not work. But on their Facebook account I found a photo. (Which  is just an illustration).

anyway, with Ovation Logo . Will try to post it.

Georg 

Edited by red-twins 2015-04-14 4:23 PM
red-twins
Posted 2015-04-14 4:24 PM (#508850 - in reply to #508621)

Sorry for the mistakes. My "german"  iPad's word correction is getting on my nerves...

Edited by red-twins 2015-04-14 4:26 PM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-04-14 4:25 PM (#508851 - in reply to #508621)

red-twins
Posted 2015-04-14 4:28 PM (#508852 - in reply to #508621)

That's it, you did better than me....will be there on thursday 

Edited by red-twins 2015-04-14 4:29 PM
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-14 8:16 PM (#508859 - in reply to #508852)

red-twins - 2015-04-14 4:28 PM

That's it, you did better than me....will be there on thursday 

PLEASE take pictures for us????

That set up is Classy, incorporates Modern Lines with Old Wood Beauty and Quality. The guitars are hung at a playable angle, good lighting! The deck or walkway staging with the simple barstool... I like it!!!

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-14 8:20 PM
red-twins
Posted 2015-04-15 12:05 AM (#508864 - in reply to #508621)

Good idea....

Hopefully then I do not struggle again to post them.

When I wrote the post, the photo first was shown, later gone.

Anyway, I remember you did a post with how to do it, Nancy....   

But I know that I am not the only one who has/had difficulties, so there is good company.

Edited by red-twins 2015-04-15 12:06 AM
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-04-15 1:51 AM (#508867 - in reply to #508621)

Okay... If anyone from DW is reading this...
PLEASE don't use that crappy FendrOvation logo.

Go with the tried-n-true Ovation logo... The one that lasted since the 1960's...

hwebster
Posted 2015-04-15 4:00 AM (#508869 - in reply to #508621)

+1 OMA
Englishplayer
Posted 2015-04-15 7:24 AM (#508874 - in reply to #508621)

Perhaps, add a USA under that logo?
Designzilla
Posted 2015-04-15 8:11 AM (#508875 - in reply to #508621)

Classic Logo with USA under it! That works! Or some slight modification that recognizes the best of Ovation, but still adds something so that anyone looking at the logo or headstock knows this is one of the new "next gen" Ovations.

Definitely not the "last gen" Fender logo. That's part of the past that needs to be swept under the rug!
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-15 9:18 AM (#508877 - in reply to #508869)

hwebster - 2015-04-15 4:00 AM

+1 OMA

Ditto!
Patch
Posted 2015-04-15 9:33 AM (#508879 - in reply to #508621)

This is one of the things I suggested to Bill Xavier in our phone conversation. Here's hoping....

AstroDan
Posted 2015-04-15 10:20 AM (#508881 - in reply to #508867)

arthurseery - 2015-04-15 1:51 AM Okay... If anyone from DW is reading this... PLEASE don't use that crappy FendrOvation logo. Go with the tried-n-true Ovation logo... The one that lasted since the 1960's...

I love the original too, but, this logo works, in person. Plays and sounds pretty good, too:

One of the last... I think

d'ovation
Posted 2015-04-15 11:20 AM (#508882 - in reply to #508867)

arthurseery - 2015-04-15 12:51 AM Okay... If anyone from DW is reading this... PLEASE don't use that crappy FendrOvation logo.  

Yeah, I actually almost bid on one of these fugly "protovations"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Ovation-Proto-Series-Acoustic-Electric...

And there are still a few on Ebay, but I came to my sense and got a Guild Orpheum instead which I think represents the best of what they were doing in New Hartford toward the end.

Edited by d'ovation 2015-04-15 11:26 AM
marenostrum
Posted 2015-04-15 11:20 AM (#508883 - in reply to #508621)

I like the original logo. Ovation...it's the shape logo is nice too. The latest one is not ok at all........
jbblunck
Posted 2015-04-15 11:48 AM (#508884 - in reply to #508621)

The problem with all the derivative logos is that they ignore the branding and legacy of the original. The tag line in the one logo is superfluous (of course it's the shape, duh). But back to the original... economical, interesting, unique. It says "guitar". Not a misguided typography exercise that could be a logo for a hifi. Whatever.
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-15 12:23 PM (#508885 - in reply to #508864)

red-twins - 2015-04-15 12:05 AM

Good idea....

Hopefully then I do not struggle again to post them.

If you have ANY problems posting pictures, I would be more than happy to post them for you!
Just email them to me @ naellis58@aol.com and I will create an album and post the pictures for you!!
That goes for anyone, I am more than happy to help, and we all love Pictures!!
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-15 12:34 PM (#508887 - in reply to #508885)

From a selling standpoint, the new O logo is worthless - if you don't *know* Ovation, the O could stand for anything.

If you are at a concert, and you think the guitar sounds fabulous and want to look into one, Taylor says "Taylor", Martin says "Martin", Guild says "Guild", etc - you know what to go look for!

The new O logo could stand for anything if you don't know about Ovation, whereas the old logo says "Ovation" inside a guitar shaped like an Ovation. The font could be updated for the letters, that would be a recognizable visual to us to say it is the "New Ovations", but keep the guitar with the O-vation in it.

Logo's are a very important part of branding, and getting people to recognize your Product instantly. Most people recognize products and companies by their Logo - think Bobcat, 3M, all of the BIG Corporations have a very distinct logo.

Edited by naellis58 2015-04-15 12:42 PM

(Ovation Logo.png)

(New Ovation Logo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ovation Logo.png (4KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments New Ovation Logo.jpg (4KB - 0 downloads)
red-twins
Posted 2015-04-15 2:41 PM (#508888 - in reply to #508621)

Nancy, got pics included to my very first posts, it was easy then. We will see. Thanks for the offer!

Georg

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-15 3:32 PM (#508890 - in reply to #508888)

red-twins - 2015-04-15 2:41 PM

Nancy, got pics included to my very first posts, it was easy then. We will see. Thanks for the offer!

Georg

Way To Go Georg!!!!!!
arumako
Posted 2015-04-16 7:34 AM (#508897 - in reply to #508621)

I like the older logo as well. I agree about the most recent logo. No character at all...as a matter of fact, it looks like the sound hole of the Kramer Ferrington that I'm working on in the BFLG. IMHO the Ovation headstock is so unique, if they stay with the headstock design (fingers crossed, here), you may not even need a logo on the headstock (not including Adamas). Might sound weird, but I always kind of thought a nice simple inlay on the distinctive original headstock with no logo and a nice label in the bowl was enough for the O. On the other hand, if they change the headstock design on the Asian models to a more standard look, that might provide some point of manufacture distinction. It'll be interesting to see how DW proceeds with the brand, but it sure sounds like things are headed in the right direction...

...looking forward to hearing more about the "German NAMM" show from red-twins!

Edited by arumako 2015-04-16 7:41 AM
muzza
Posted 2015-04-16 9:08 AM (#508901 - in reply to #508621)

I dunno... The new headstock is growing on me. No 'ears' to break off. 

Slipkid
Posted 2015-04-16 9:23 AM (#508904 - in reply to #508621)

HERETIC!!!
BLASPHAMY!!!
BURN THE WITCH!!!

Edited by Slipkid 2015-04-16 9:43 AM
SOBeach
Posted 2015-04-16 10:07 AM (#508906 - in reply to #508901)

muzza -  No 'ears' to break off. 

Meh, careless players will end up busting the tip off that one too.

IMHO, the original headstocks are just as iconic to the brand as the lyrachord bowls, the oak leaf eppies and roesettes, and the pin-less bridges.

The headstock shape, logo design, etc. aren't what need revision ...effective promotion, product accessibility, and brand building management are.   

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-16 10:54 AM (#508908 - in reply to #508906)

SOBeach - 2015-04-16 10:07 AM

muzza -  No 'ears' to break off. 

Meh, careless players will end up busting the tip off that one too.

IMHO, the original headstocks are just as iconic to the brand as the lyrachord bowls, the oak leaf eppies and roesettes, and the pin-less bridges.

The headstock shape, logo design, etc. aren't what need revision ...effective promotion, product accessibility, and brand building management are.   

+1
Nancy
Posted 2015-04-16 10:56 AM (#508909 - in reply to #508904)

Brad Durasa - 2015-04-16 9:23 AM

HERETIC!!!
BLASPHAMY!!!
BURN THE WITCH!!!

Slipkid, PLEASE preface your posts with "DEPENDS WARNING"
My poor keyboard cannot stand anymore Mt Dew being spewed all over it, although the bubbles in my nose do tickle! A simple warning would be much appreciated! LOL!!!!
fillhixx
Posted 2015-04-16 2:02 PM (#508913 - in reply to #508621)

Nice to see the patient is still breathing. I think there's a place for Ovation guitars in the market.

i'm not sure the market for guitars will ever be as big as it was in the 60s-80s.....it's just not that big a piece of the culture any more. Ukulele players have as much credibility as a good guitar player now.

Took my Legend into a guitar shop to play it through a Fishman recently. Will be buying one soon. The tech/salesman was a buddy from 'way back, asked to play my Ovation as he hadn't seen it since I brought it to gigs in an old band 30 years ago. He took a long time giving it back, after I was done twiddling knobs on the Fishman while he played.

Edited by fillhixx 2015-04-16 2:03 PM
red-twins
Posted 2015-04-16 3:35 PM (#508919 - in reply to #508621)

Hi everybody,

been there today, at Frankfurt Music Fair.

Eight Ovation guitars (well, six, plus an Adamas and a Celebrity) were shown. There was one guy working on the stand, where they showed another brand as well.

He told me that the German company named GEWA is not only Ovation's new distributor for Germany, but for all Europe.

Also he said, they are still sorting things out which they took over from Fender. As for example very few Adamas guitars, which they actually do not sell!

He was confident that it should soon be able to get spare parts ( I bought two pickups last year, then tried to get another two, just to be safe, but that was when the deal was already going and Fender refused to sell them...).

They had no catalogues, leaflets etc. on the place, and he said it was decided only at short hand to show Ovations on the fair.

What GEWA did, they reserved space on the "Acoustic stage" in Hall 3, where a guy called Oliver Hartmann performed on two AX-Ovations (6string Legend and 12string Elite). He and/or a guy named Giovanni Hidalgo (percussion) will perform on Friday, 4.30 p.m. and Saturday, 11.00 a.m. as well for them.

Well, that's it, I guess.

By the way, it seems as if Gibson owns a lot of firms.... they showed not only Epiphone, but e.g. Tascam, Steinberger and.... Kramer.

See the pictures in the album here:

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=1218

I am sorry they are not good, just made with my mobile phone, but they give an idea at least...

Georg

red-twins

red-twins
Posted 2015-04-16 3:53 PM (#508920 - in reply to #508913)

fillhixx - 2015-04-16 9:02 PM

Took my Legend into a guitar shop to play it through a Fishman recently. Will be buying one soon.

Fillhixx, which Amp did you decide to buy? Just asking 'cause I am interested in them for quite some time... Saw all of them on the Music fair at Frankfurt today again.  Unfortunately, prices went up on them here recently +30%....

Georg,

red-twins

Nancy
Posted 2015-04-16 3:59 PM (#508921 - in reply to #508919)

Great Pictures!!! Thank You very much Georg for letting us know, and taking pictures to share!!!

At least they were represented, and out there!!! That is a good sign!
d'ovation
Posted 2015-04-16 5:07 PM (#508922 - in reply to #508919)

red-twins - 2015-04-16 2:35 PM

By the way, it seems as if Gibson owns a lot of firms.... they showed not only Epiphone, but e.g. Tascam, Steinberger and.... Kramer.

Thanks for the update. You seem to be interested in Kramer ... they were pretty good guitars in the 70s noted for their aluminium necks, but when they went wooden neck they totally lost their mojo. Probably like an ovation without lyrachord bowl would be.

Edited by d'ovation 2015-04-16 5:10 PM
TAFKAR
Posted 2015-04-16 5:16 PM (#508923 - in reply to #508919)

red-twins - 2015-04-17 8:35 AM
As for example very few Adamas guitars, which they actually do not sell!

Fair enough at this point, they probably don't have any as they're no longer made and old stock is probably already with stores connected to the old supplier.

I'm heartened that they found one to display - not something they'd be interested in doing if they had no plans to continue the line.
red-twins
Posted 2015-04-17 1:17 AM (#508931 - in reply to #508922)

/QUOTE Thanks for the update. You seem to be interested in Kramer ... QUOTE

no, I am not interested in any electrics, but the name Kramer was mentioned here during the last few weeks several times, so I thought it was of interest to some people here. I remember these guitars from when I started playing, by then I was still hoping to become famous.... 

Edited by red-twins 2015-04-17 1:19 AM
arumako
Posted 2015-04-17 2:20 AM (#508933 - in reply to #508621)

Thanks for the updates and the pics red-twins! It's a relief to see new Ovations and even an Adamas on display like that. Only 1 Celebrity and 6 Os is an interesting mix to display in Europe. It might suggest how serious DW is about bringing the U.S. brand back. Having performers playing Os is really surprising. As things stand currently, that's gotta be more than a publicity stunt. Even on short notice, it sounds like DW did what they could just to assure us that O is not only alive, but seriously being considered as a fruitful component of DWs future line-up. Don't want to read more into it than there really is, but this is encouraging news. By the way, even if they weren't taking orders, were you at least allowed to play the Os?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-04-17 11:27 AM (#508938 - in reply to #508621)

Hey Patch, find out if DW is reserving space.

http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20150415/pub-other-busi...
tpa
Posted 2015-04-17 11:51 AM (#508940 - in reply to #508621)

Thank you red-twins. Nice the see Ovation guitars represented in Europe. It has been really really bad here for almost two decades. Hopefully they will will not only sell them but actually represent them. One of the aspects of having Ovation and Adamas guitars which has been disappointing to me has been to read all over about the fantastic customer service and lifetime guarantee, just to realise that it is only in USA. Here (Denmark) I have never heard of any kind of service or even sale of spare parts (Hope, hope).
red-twins
Posted 2015-04-17 12:30 PM (#508943 - in reply to #508621)

Yes, it was possible to play the guitars, also the Adamas. I refused to do so, although it would have been easy, since there were not  many people. Never had one in hands and I  guess that's how it should remain in the future... my wallet and my wife will be happy.

The possiblities of getting the guitars repaired in the States were fascinating to me. Fortunately, did not need it so far. I do not know whether there are luthiers here in Germany being able to do necessary repairs, like dealing with cracks or setting a neck. Maybe one of the german OFC members does?

I ordered two pickups last year. It took several months for them to arrive, but they did.

I was told that it was the last box Fender Germany received from Ovation USA. Since I also was told there had been a few more in that box, I ordered another two six months later, hoping they were still there, but it was too late, Fender Germany had to transfer the parts to the new distributor. Will see whether my dealer can get them from there now....

regards, Georg

Standingovation
Posted 2015-04-17 3:47 PM (#508951 - in reply to #508938)

immoody - 2015-04-17 10:27 AM

Hey Patch, find out if DW is reserving space.

http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20150415/pub-other-busi...

Somewhat bittersweet, but good to see the old building being put to use. Hope the new businesses find success and can benefit a little from the mojo of that probnably still exits.