Tommy Emmanuel
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-02-18 4:45 PM (#505787)
Subject: Tommy Emmanuel

Went to Tommy's concert at the theater across the street from my office last night. The only thing that was less than perfect was he didn't use any Ovations. He's just a fantastic guitarist. Clive Carroll opened for him for 45 minutes. He was excellent and I was wondering if Tommy's show would be as short. He came out at 9 and played non-stop for over 2 hours. Fantastic energy and ability. I don't know how he does it. I'm tired from watching him and being up till midnight. He stood the whole time. Clive joined him for a duet at the end and played so fast I thought Tommy was doing all he could to just keep up with the rhythm part, then they switched the lead over to Tommy and sped up.
Great show and I highly recommend him. I didn't want to take the time to buy CDs after the show, so now I'll look for some.
My wife asked how I heard of him. I couldn't remember, but assumed it was from the Ovation Fan Club, the source of most of my musical knowledge.

Edited by Mark in Boise 2015-02-18 4:48 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2015-02-18 5:25 PM (#505788 - in reply to #505787)
Subject: Re: Tommy Emmanuel

To many of that ilk present themselves as pretentious ar-teests.
Tommy Emmanuel is one of the few who looks like he is actually enjoying himself onstage.
Damon67
Posted 2015-02-18 5:35 PM (#505791 - in reply to #505787)

Hey Mark, Brandi's doing her pin drop show this Friday, come on out!
Reasley
Posted 2015-02-18 6:44 PM (#505796 - in reply to #505788)

Brad Durasa - 2015-02-18 5:25 PM To many of that ilk present themselves as pretentious ar-teests. Tommy Emmanuel is one of the few who looks like he is actually enjoying himself onstage.

You are exactly right!  Tommy Emmanuel is a class act.  For me, the best way to view his "attitude" toward playing is that of a small child, as in: "Can you believe I just did that, that it's possible, and isn't it just too cool?"  -- not in a cocky sense at all but in an amazed way -- again, just like a child.  It is an absolute delight to watch this man play knowing, KNOWING, that he has practiced for years and years, probably from the time of a very small child.  

On the techinical side, he must have rthe bodies of his guitars loaded with pickups to get the percussive sounds that he ges from those things.  

I just love the guy -- can't say enough good about him.

muzza
Posted 2015-02-19 6:57 AM (#505808 - in reply to #505787)
Subject: RE: Tommy Emmanuel

I don't think his pickups are anything other than standard Maton AP5 pro pickups.  They have a blendable combination of bridge piezo pickups and an internal microphone.  I reckon the internal mic is picking up the percussiveness. They sound SOOO good plugged.  When I first heard mine I HAD to have it!  But I had to sell my 2005C to help pay for it. And I thought the '05C was the best guitar I'd ever owned up to that point. 

Tommy's brother Phil is even more laid back and approachable. He lives just down the road from me.  

In some respects he's actually better than Tom. He thinks of acoustic guitars as firewood. He likes it loud 'n electric!

Edited by muzzlitebeer 2015-02-19 7:04 AM
iglupickin
Posted 2015-02-19 7:45 AM (#505809 - in reply to #505787)

Tommy Emmanuel is the quintessential all around guitarist! He outshines some of the best and has collaborated with many of the best (Chet Atkins, etc). I have some of his acoustic stuff and his version of Classical Gas and compilations of several Beatles tunes shows his musical prowess! Whatever style of music you're into, you'll find Tommy has it covered somewhere in his library of tunes!
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-02-19 12:07 PM (#505813 - in reply to #505787)

Mark says: "Went to Tommy's concert at the theater across the street from my office last night. The only thing that was less than perfect was he didn't use any Ovations."

With no new Ovations being made anymore, I'm GLAD he doesn't use them so he doesn't beat one of our favorite guitars to death!

I won tickets to see him when he was in Rapid and I refused to go. I would've been arrested for jumping on stage and ripping the guitar out of his hands. The people I gave the tickets to said that at one point they could see chips flying off the guitar when he was "doing percussion" with his ring. I have zero respect for anyone who treats a guitar like that.

Kaki gets better percussion on her guitar and she doesn't beat it up. Doyle Dykes gets the whammy bar effect on his acoustic without bending the neck. There are MUCH better guitarists out there than Emanuel but he makes up for his lack of style with what he considers "showmanship" which is what I consider "show-OFF-manship". He's all speed and no style.

And he's (in my not so humble opinion) low class.
iglupickin
Posted 2015-02-19 1:05 PM (#505814 - in reply to #505787)

Tommy does play pretty hard at times and uses ALL of his faculties in various songs, but I don't blame him for the abuse. I'm sure he has a stable of disposable guitars (like Garth Brooks and his throwaway Takamine's). He does treat his favorite Australian made guitar (name escapes me?) with a little more respect! He has a lighter touch on many tunes that are not so percussive or hard banging! Historically I think the Who gets top prize for trashing instruments and amps especially at a time when I couldn't afford anything that good back in my youth!! That use to irritate me! Of course Jim Hendrix did his Strat trashing, but I'll give him a special forgiveness since it wasn't a regular occurrence! ;-) All respects.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-02-19 1:43 PM (#505818 - in reply to #505787)

I have to admit I winced when he was doing this scratchy thing that sounded sort of like a brush on a drum, but then I figured it was a Maton. He used it for all of the percussive stuff and switched to other guitars for other tunes. I think one might have been a Taylor, but I was too far back to see. He did a very abbreviated lesson, showing how he did a riff, first slowly and then bringing it up to speed with a Metronome. He also did some slow songs. Seemed like he had plenty of style to me, although he obviously showed off his speed.
jay
Posted 2015-02-20 2:12 PM (#505833 - in reply to #505818)

Here is a nice clip of Tommy and John in an interview. Both continue the Chet legacy....

Darkbar
Posted 2015-02-20 4:43 PM (#505836 - in reply to #505813)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-02-19 1:07 PM

at one point they could see chips flying off the guitar when he was "doing percussion" with his ring. I have zero respect for anyone who treats a guitar like that. .

You should see me eat Doritos....it's like I have a wood chipper in the house.
Reasley
Posted 2015-02-20 4:48 PM (#505837 - in reply to #505836)

You should see me eat Doritos....it's like I have a wood chipper in the house.

Post of the day --  Haven't met you, but the visual is hilarious!

Reasley
Posted 2015-02-20 5:00 PM (#505838 - in reply to #505813)

There are MUCH better guitarists out there than Emanuel but he makes up for his lack of style with what he considers "showmanship" which is what I consider "show-OFF-manship". He's all speed and no style. And he's (in my not so humble opinion) low class.

Wow, just wow.

In one post, you've managed to not only insult a great guy (Tommy Emmanuel) and wonderful entertainer but everyone that does enjoy his performances (including myself) and likely many others on this list, in addition to possibly alienating them, too.

I guess you don't watch auto races (too low brow, cars are destroyed), any action movies (same) or any other activity where the medium is being pushed to, or beyond, its limit.

Ever heard of Dale Carnegie?

Damon67
Posted 2015-02-20 5:33 PM (#505839 - in reply to #505787)

Whoa there Mr Easley... I don't see any personal shots taken at you or any other OFC Member in the quoted piece (that was even stated as an opinion), however you're taking a personal shot at the poster.

Who the **** cares if someone likes your favorite musician or not. I can't stand Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, and Elvis Costello, just to name a few. If someone thinks less about me because of that, well that's their problem.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-02-20 5:53 PM (#505840 - in reply to #505838)

Reasley - 2015-02-21 4:00 PM

There are MUCH better guitarists out there than Emanuel but he makes up for his lack of style with what he considers "showmanship" which is what I consider "show-OFF-manship". He's all speed and no style. And he's (in my not so humble opinion) low class.

Wow, just wow.

In one post, you've managed to not only insult a great guy (Tommy Emmanuel) and wonderful entertainer but everyone that does enjoy his performances (including myself) and likely many others on this list, in addition to possibly alienating them, too.

I guess you don't watch auto races (too low brow, cars are destroyed), any action movies (same) or any other activity where the medium is being pushed to, or beyond, its limit.

Ever heard of Dale Carnegie?

Sorry to have offended you but I don't see where I have insulted you or anyone else who enjoys him. I insulted HIM for insulting and damaging guitars. I have a friend who likes him and when all I did was HEAR his music I wasn't that impressed. Just don't like his style I'm afraid. But after I SAW him (on Youtube) I was disgusted with him. I winced all the way through the video.

As someone who buys and sells guitar for a living (as well as having played for 50 years now) I treat every guitar with love and respect. Even a crappy guitar would be of use to some kid who can't afford one. And it really burns me that some guy with lots of money thinks nothing of destroying a guitar just for show.

Now, as far as auto races or action movies, you're right. I don't watch either. That's because I haven't owned a TV since the eighties. I see it as mind rot and would much rather spend my tiny amount of leisure time with my guitar, my banjo, or a good book. Sorry. If you think that makes me an elitist, so be it.

(And hey Damon, thanks for having my back.)
DanSavage
Posted 2015-02-20 8:16 PM (#505841 - in reply to #505813)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-02-19 10:07 AM

I won tickets to see him when he was in Rapid and I refused to go. I would've been arrested for jumping on stage and ripping the guitar out of his hands. The people I gave the tickets to said that at one point they could see chips flying off the guitar when he was "doing percussion" with his ring. I have zero respect for anyone who treats a guitar like that.

Ha ha!

Who knows, Alison? Had you climbed on the stage, you might have been decked like what happened to the girl at the Afroman show... (LOL!)

Another one who was extremely hard on his guitars, believe it or not, was John Denver.

Denver only used soft cases and was not afraid to tie the guitar case to the back of a saddle, then hop onto the horse and go on a spirited ride in the mountains.

This doesn't surprise me given the fact that he was long-time professional and obviously viewed his guitars as simply tools of his trade.

Edited by DanSavage 2015-02-20 8:19 PM
jay
Posted 2015-02-20 8:45 PM (#505842 - in reply to #505841)

LOL...that Afroman video is crazy.

You know...TE seems to truly love the sound of that Maton that is "experienced". If I were guessing...he cares more about what is produced by the guitar rather than how it is produced. Dan...I bet Denver didnt put that 1910 Gibson in a soft case.

Edited by jay 2015-02-20 9:15 PM
Darkbar
Posted 2015-02-20 8:53 PM (#505843 - in reply to #505842)

TE, in my opinion, does some VERY sensitive pieces, as well as some crazy, in your face, outrageous stuff. But all in all, I think he's a fabulous player. I think part of his continued success is DUE to his "showmanship", and it my even be WHY he does it. He may have faded away into obscurity without being a bit cocky and flamboyant acting on stage. There are LOTS of great players out there, but not THAT many who can tour for decades mainly playing an acoustic guitar.
AdamasW597
Posted 2015-02-21 10:30 AM (#505850 - in reply to #505787)

Tommy played at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, KS for several years. I saw him 5 times and spoke to him. Apparently he'd heard me play and invited me to Stage 5 to play with him. If I hadn't been hours from home I would have stayed,. But the men I went with couldn't care less and would not stay. He is a genuinely great man. Others should strive to be like him. He just uses his fingers to make the scratching sound and the tops have been worn down over a very long time. He has 2 or 3 that look like that. One looks terrible, but the sound is spot-on. He does not destroy guitars. I think whoever told you the story of "the wood chips flying" was embellishing a little. He loves every guitar he owns. He always has high praise for all his guitars.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-02-21 10:39 AM (#505851 - in reply to #505787)

Nope. I knew four people who went. Two were in row 2 and two were in row 6. They all said the same thing. He had on a big fat ring and was hitting the guitar with it.
DanSavage
Posted 2015-02-21 11:13 AM (#505853 - in reply to #505842)

amosmoses - 2015-02-20 6:45 PM

Dan...I bet Denver didnt put that 1910 Gibson in a soft case.

Yeah, he did have a few hard cases for guitars such as his As and Os.
dobro
Posted 2015-02-23 5:17 PM (#505913 - in reply to #505787)

Back to the "ar-teeest" issue: Here in Chicago there are (good) guitar players a-plenty who are fatally full of themselves. Like roosters in a pecking order they imagine that twangin' on a banjo is a world-changing activity. But who's watching and who cares? It's tiresome and aggravating. I do appreciate anyone who has a low pretentiousness index and just has fun with the music. Emmanuel or Kaki or anyone. Never thought about the wood-chipper factor. Willie Nelson seems to have dug a hole of his own!
iglupickin
Posted 2015-02-23 7:05 PM (#505921 - in reply to #505787)

You think Martin would come up with a Willie Nelson edition, complete with the hole in it considering how much publicity that guitar has received over the years. That's some serious damage!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-02-23 7:35 PM (#505926 - in reply to #505921)

iglupickin - 2015-02-23 5:05 PM

You think Martin would come up with a Willie Nelson edition, complete with the hole in it considering how much publicity that guitar has received over the years. That's some serious damage!

That is just where his pinky finger hits.

Dierks Bentley is working on the same kinda hole...

All Dierks need is time, and a bunch of signatures, and it will look the same.
And the dedication to continue playing the same guitar for decades.
jay
Posted 2015-02-23 8:46 PM (#505928 - in reply to #505921)

You think Martin would come up with a Willie Nelson edition,

They did. N-20WN. I think they listed for over 5K.  Not only did you have to provide the hole, you also had to add your own Prismatone. I am not sure who made the pickup for Martin, but it didnt come close to replicating Nelsons Prismatone.

Darkbar
Posted 2015-02-23 9:17 PM (#505929 - in reply to #505926)

arthurseery - 2015-02-23 8:35 PM

"That is just where his pinky finger hits."

Then I guess he must wear Kevlar underwear...

Edited by BobG 2015-02-23 9:18 PM
iglupickin
Posted 2015-02-24 6:45 AM (#505937 - in reply to #505787)

By the looks of Willies Martin in the picture, the spot above the sound hole looks close to a hole, from his thumb.

Interesting on the N-20WN.... I had played one of the early Martins back in the 60's (not sure its the same but it was pretty close) in a local music store I worked in and always loved the sound but it was way out of budget from my feeble earnings!
I did buy my first Ovation Collectors some time later in 1986 at the same place.
GaryB
Posted 2015-02-25 8:58 PM (#506989 - in reply to #505787)

Thanks for posting that Jay. Tommy's one of my favourites.
jay
Posted 2015-02-25 10:22 PM (#506991 - in reply to #506989)

Gary, John shared on the chetboard that he and Tommy are working on a CD that will include "W Leonard Bernstein's "Somewhere" Hank Williams' "Cold Cold Heart," Billy Joel's "Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel)," and The BeeGee's "How Deep Is You Love." We've got several others "in-progress." I doubt Tommy will turn on the wood chipper for this album.
jay
Posted 2015-02-26 11:33 AM (#507009 - in reply to #506991)

If you think Tommy is rough on guitars... Garth Brooks guitar is actually at the Smithsonian. It appears to be "Natural" series Tak.

Edited by jay 2015-02-26 11:41 AM

(smith.jpg)

(canvas.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments smith.jpg (25KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments canvas.jpg (88KB - 0 downloads)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-02-26 11:54 AM (#507015 - in reply to #505787)

Tommy did Johnny Cash's version of Hurt and Billy Joel's Lullaby at his concert here last week. They were nice contrasts to his blinding speed riffs on his other songs. I need to try to convert Lullaby from a simple piano tune to a guitar song. I saw it done on a Netflix movie a couple weeks ago, the first time I heard it since it was on Billy's album. Great song.
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-02 3:21 AM (#507157 - in reply to #505813)

CanterburyStrings - 2015-02-19 12:07 PM

Mark says: "Went to Tommy's concert at the theater across the street from my office last night. The only thing that was less than perfect was he didn't use any Ovations."

With no new Ovations being made anymore, I'm GLAD he doesn't use them so he doesn't beat one of our favorite guitars to death!

Kaki gets better percussion on her guitar and she doesn't beat it up. Doyle Dykes gets the whammy bar effect on his acoustic without bending the neck. There are MUCH better guitarists out there than Emanuel but he makes up for his lack of style with what he considers "showmanship" which is what I consider "show-OFF-manship". He's all speed and no style.

And he's (in my not so humble opinion) low class.

I hardly ever come here and when I do this is the first thread I click on, and I'm greeted with this absurd post. If you make determinations on respect based on how a person uses a guitar you are crazy amounts of shallow. The guy plays aggressively, he does percussion and in order to do it his way, he gets rough on the guitar. It's part of what has made his career for him, his actual playing style. You are more than entitled to your opinions about the guy, though I couldn't disagree more with your opinions, but for you to say some of the stuff you are saying makes you come off, in my opinion as silly levels of judgmental. The guy is low class? Because of how he treats his guitars? Hahahaha! Amazing stuff man, please tell us more of your opinions about guitarists. I'm serious, start a thread about who else you feel is "low class" because I'd love to read your thoughts.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-02 4:12 AM (#507158 - in reply to #505787)

Many people over the years have commented on people disrespecting musical instruments...
Back in the 60's HUNDREDS of professional musicians voiced disdain over Jimi Hendrix burning Strats and The Who destroying their instruments... Country, Folk, Blues, and Rock artists.
Now, it is fashionable to smash guitars... But there are still people who find it unsettling and Stupid.
Dipshits like Garth Brooks and assholes who win NASCAR races... More money than sense.
Whereas most working musicians would not think of destroying a functional guitar.
Ask John Hiatt
As a street musician, I know people who make their living with low-budget laminate guitars.
If you struggled to get a used guitar, you would hurt anybody who hurt your guitar.
And the thought of intentionally damaging a guitar would be abhorrent to any of them, too.

BTW-- Canterbury Strings is the name of her Guitar Store, and she has built guitars in her lifetime.
So, I Love to read her thoughts on the subject too.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2015-03-02 4:21 AM
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-02 5:29 AM (#507159 - in reply to #505787)

Old Man Arthur, we aren't talking about burning a guitar to ash or smashing it to bits here, we are talking about using it for percussion. Yeah, the guitar might not last as long hitting it for percussion as it normally would, but there is a vast chasm of difference between smashing a guitar to pieces like Pete Townsend and using it for percussion like TE. One is destroyed in a matter of seconds and one has some scratches on it, but is still a functioning instrument. Clearly TE uses his guitars for a while, they just get abused as part of his style of playing. A style that has made him a living, put food on his table, taken care of his family and put a roof over his head, not to mention brought joy and entertainment to people all over the world. There are unknown thousands of guitarists around the world that play this percussive style of guitar now, and because of that CanterburyStrings has claimed that she has no respect for any of these people? Because they put some scratches on a guitar that they own? This kind of judgmental mentality is soooooo unnecessary. Respect for a person should absolutely not be determined on how they treat a tool they use during work hours, otherwise a vast majority of mechanics, plumbers, roofers, construction workers, etc. are all "low class" because they put some scratches on their wrench or on their screw driver. Respect, in my opinion, should be based on how a person treats other PEOPLE, other living creatures, not some wood and metal that they paid for with their own money. It is a shallow mentality and one I find comical.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-02 6:08 AM (#507160 - in reply to #505787)

..."because they put some scratches on their wrench or on their screw driver"... (screwdriver is one word)
The people that taught me mechanics taught me to wipe my tools down and put them away in their designated spots before I left the shop. Just like the people that taught me about guitars (the OFC) taught me to take-care of my instruments. (paint not-withstanding) As was pointed-out, Kaki King is percussive in her playing but in an interview she stated that she does not really hit the guitar hard when she is doing it. And she doesn't wear a big ring.

And you are talking about how "Respect, in my opinion, should be based on how a person treats other PEOPLE, other living creatures"... Meanwhile you are talking shiit to CS, whom you obviously don't know, but feel entitled to voice your opinion about whether CS can express her opinion. Cuz you obviously feel no need to restrain yourself in this important matter. But I am sure that you meant to be Respectful...

Meanwhile... Tommy is entitled to mistreat his guitar in any way that he wants. Canterbury Strings is entitled to not like it. That is Respectful.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2015-03-02 6:18 AM
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-02 6:48 AM (#507161 - in reply to #505787)

If you can't give a good example don't give one Old Man. Wiping a tool down and putting it back where it belongs? I'm quite sure that TE has his guitars wiped down and put in their cases when he is done playing them. Hilarious example though. You need to get on the actual subject at hand. The subject is how the guitar is being treated WHILE IN USE TO PLAY MUSIC. That was CanterburyStrings problem. The subject is not what happens after it gets used, like your poor example of wiping a tool and putting it away when you are done. That is the whole problem with your smashing/burning guitars argument. It is only loosely related to the subject that CS brought up. She likely has a massive problem with how guitars get treated at all times. That is not the problem that CS originally brought up though. Her problem was during the actual playing and that is what I'm talking about.

Telling someone that something they have voiced is shallow and unnecessarily judgmental is not "talking ****" about them. I'd love to hear your definition of "talking ****". I have a feeling it isn't the same as mine. Sure CanterburyStrings can think whatever she wants about TE, of course she can, but I'm gonna call her out when she says absurd stuff. Absurd stuff like saying someone is "low class" because he uses his guitar like a drum at times. By that logic every drummer is a "low class" because he put some dents in his drum heads or he broke his drum sticks. If people like you and CS could actually step away from your preconceived notions about how a guitar should be played, you might actually realize that it is ok to put a scratch or a chip in a guitar from using it in a percussive manor. It is ok to use it for percussion and scratch it. The fact that Kaki King isn't as rough on hers doesn't amount to anything other than it is just her style. TE is a physical player, there are a whole bunch of them all over the world now. And they sure as hell aren't "low class" because they choose to play their guitars in a way that CS or you have a problem with. Are you telling me this guy is low class because of how he plays his guitar?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw

That guy gave the proceeds made off that song to a charity. How low class of him.

Slipkid
Posted 2015-03-02 8:11 AM (#507162 - in reply to #505787)

Geostorm98
Posted 2015-03-02 12:47 PM (#507168 - in reply to #505787)

^^^Good tension breaker slipkid haha
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2015-03-02 1:12 PM (#507169 - in reply to #505787)

Wow BrickGlass, do you get this upset when people disagree with you about other things? I'd hate to see what you're like in a political discussion then.

Heck, running the shop I sometimes get people in who think Taylors are better than Ovations. I hate it when people disrespect my favorite brand of guitars, especially in favor of what I consider to be soul-less, overpriced staus symbols such as Taylors, but I don't attack them for it.

As for artists, I believe there is someone on this forum whom I respect to the max, but he thinks James Taylor (one of my favorites) puts out "spoo". That's cool with me. I don't demand that everyone likes what I like. Makes the world a much more interesting place you know.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-02 2:15 PM (#507171 - in reply to #507161)

BrickGlass - 2015-03-02 4:48 AM

If you can't give a good example don't give one Old Man.
Bite Me!

Telling someone that something they have voiced is shallow and unnecessarily judgmental is not "talking ****" about them. I'd love to hear your definition of "talking ****".
Your momma did raise a fool, Fool. That kinda talking would get your face kicked-in outside of Mormon land. And I ain't no peace freak from Portland, neither. Make your corpse a statistic. Leave your body by the railroad tracks and they'd chalk you up as another dead hobo. That is talking ****, dickhead. And your taste in music sucks, too...

Here's proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw
That guy gave the proceeds made off that song to a charity. How low class of him.
He would starve as a street musician. I doubt that he makes much money with that kinda playing, therefore he does it as a tax right-off. Look at me, I give to charity. (minus 90% processing fee)
As Jesus might have pointed-out, the fact that he tells everyone so that you KNOW that the proceeds go to charity makes his "gift" meaningless.
Check out the Parable of the Widow with the Two Mites... as well as the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. Giving away money doesn't make your music suck less.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2015-03-02 2:37 PM
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-03-02 2:18 PM (#507172 - in reply to #505787)

Reminds me of the child psychologists who told us to say we weren't mad at our kids we were mad at what they did. My kids were smart and never understood the difference. Life is much more interesting with people who have strongly held opinions. I get bored on the middle ground. I don't know any James Taylor songs, and always thought Carole King couldn't sing worth a darn, but now I'm going to finish learning James' version of You've Got a Friend, just to see if I can piss someone off.
I thought Tommy was playing a Taylor the other night, so I was hoping he'd beat the hell out of it, but he just did it with his Maton.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-02 2:25 PM (#507173 - in reply to #505787)

I play "Sweet Baby James" every day on the corner. (MY kinda fingerpicking version)
I especially like "The first of December was covered with Snow" while it is 65° in February in Portland.
BanjoJ
Posted 2015-03-02 2:46 PM (#507174 - in reply to #505787)

Wow! Is Guitar back under another name?
nerdydave
Posted 2015-03-02 9:54 PM (#507188 - in reply to #505787)

Brickglass does kinda seem ta be on a rant and I am not sure he is practicing the kind of love which is known to exist in the Ovation Fan Club!
Damon67
Posted 2015-03-02 10:29 PM (#507189 - in reply to #505787)

Went to see Brandi Carlile at the Zoo here with friends. One of them, much younger, starts talking about how she can't wait to see ""JT when he comes to town.

I said I thought James Taylor would be a nice show to see.

She looked at me all funny and said "Um yeah.... I'm talking about JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE... like I'm sure.... James Tay-who?"

I felt old.

She got me a life-size Justin poster for my birthday the following year.

Now lighten the **** up people.
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-03 5:40 AM (#507194 - in reply to #507171)

arthurseery - 2015-03-02 2:15 PM

Your momma did raise a fool, Fool. That kinda talking would get your face kicked-in outside of Mormon land. And I ain't no peace freak from Portland, neither. Make your corpse a statistic. Leave your body by the railroad tracks and they'd chalk you up as another dead hobo. That is talking ****, dickhead. And your taste in music sucks, too...

He would starve as a street musician. I doubt that he makes much money with that kinda playing, therefore he does it as a tax right-off. Look at me, I give to charity. (minus 90% processing fee)
As Jesus might have pointed-out, the fact that he tells everyone so that you KNOW that the proceeds go to charity makes his "gift" meaningless.
Check out the Parable of the Widow with the Two Mites... as well as the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. Giving away money doesn't make your music suck less.

Thank you for providing an example of what you consider to be "talking ****" because it makes it clear that that is not what I was doing to CS. Nothing that I said to her is anywhere near what you provided as an example of "talking ****", so when you told me you thought I was talking ****, you clearly did not mean it. I mean, you are calling me names like dickhead and fool, saying my taste in music sucks, telling me I'd get my face kicked in, and telling me I'd be a corpse with my body left by the railroad tracks. You truly feel that is how I was talking to CS? I think not. Not only that, but nerdydave has the audacity to tell me I'm the one " not practicing the kind of love which is known to exist in the Ovation Fan Club!" If you think I'm not practicing love, what in the world is Old Man Arthur doing? The guy is calling me a dickhead and telling me I'd be a corpse, and I'm the one "not practing love"? nerdydave, please explain if you are defending Old Man's words, and yet have a problem with something I said.

Now, to the point Old Man made about Jon Gomm making it known that the proceeds for buying his song would go to charity, and Old Man claiming that this act would make the gift meaningless, please, you must elaborate. Your logic on this matter seems horribly flawed. I am greatly anticipating your explanation of how someone doing a charitable thing, and making it known that they are doing so, makes the charitable donation meaningless? From where I'm sitting it seems like a win-win. The artist donates money to a good cause, and in turn the song gets heard, which has the chance to further the artists career. If you tell people that the money is going to charity it creates the possibility that more people will buy the song, because they want to support the cause of the charity. It's been a few years now, but I believe the proceeds went to a children's hospital or something of that nature. People are going to be more prone to buying a song knowing that it will go to help a wonderful cause. Knowing ahead of time that it will go to a good cause certainly doesn't make it "meaningless", as you stated. Quite the contrary in fact.

Also, I'm most certainly not afraid of my face being kicked in, if I were to venture outside of "Mormon land", just because I told someone that there viewpoint seems shallow and unnecessarily judgmental. Yeah...that is not on my list of fears.

I'm gonna have to come around here more often because this is great stuff folks! Really fascinating people around here, and this is the first thread I clicked on!
Darkbar
Posted 2015-03-03 5:53 AM (#507196 - in reply to #505787)

I really LOVE it when threads go off like this! You wait and wait and wait MONTHS for interesting threads to develop, then POW!!! (Surely DaveKell has a good Duane Allman guitar destroying story he could tell? "There I was, in the back of Duane's tour bus, lying on the air-mattress in nothing but my Astroboy skivvies, when in comes Duane swinging a bottle neck guitar..."
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-03 6:19 AM (#507197 - in reply to #507196)

darkbarguitar - 2015-03-03 5:53 AM

I really LOVE it when threads go off like this! You wait and wait and wait MONTHS for interesting threads to develop, then POW!!!

Oh no no, we cannot be waiting months for threads to "go off" as you put it. I feel like there is a huge untapped realm of fascinating, riveting, enthralling, intriguing, hilarious discussion to be had here now. I've been a member since 2011 and I feel like I've likely lost out on some truly great moments around these parts. I'm gonna have to visit much more often.
Patch
Posted 2015-03-03 6:24 AM (#507198 - in reply to #505787)

Reading this thread is like.....

jay
Posted 2015-03-03 7:21 AM (#507201 - in reply to #505787)

All of those pieces flying off of the train remind me of Tommy playing his Maton in concert.
Slipkid
Posted 2015-03-03 8:24 AM (#507203 - in reply to #507197)

BrickGlass - 2015-03-03 7:19 AM

Oh no no, we cannot be waiting months for threads to "go off" as you put it. I feel like there is a huge untapped realm of fascinating, riveting, enthralling, intriguing, hilarious discussion to be had here now. I've been a member since 2011 .....

Fun is fun and good conversation is just that.
But if feel you need to be the ***-hat who just likes to rile things up, personally, I'd say no thanks.
We've had a number of that ilk come & go over the years.
Yeah it's a little fun at first but gets predictable and old pretty quick.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-03-03 8:34 AM (#507204 - in reply to #507201)

amosmoses - 2015-03-03 8:21 AM

All of those pieces flying off of the train remind me of Tommy playing his Maton in concert.

THAT was funny!
jay
Posted 2015-03-03 12:23 PM (#507210 - in reply to #507203)

"***-hat who just likes to rile things up"

Hmmm. Bob, you might want to check that tag in your hat to see what it is made from...

Darkbar
Posted 2015-03-03 12:50 PM (#507212 - in reply to #505787)

"certified hind end", whatever that means..
Weaser P
Posted 2015-03-03 2:32 PM (#507215 - in reply to #507212)

darkbarguitar - 2015-03-03 12:50 PM

"certified hind end", whatever that means..

I might be able to help you define that. It's been explained to me SEVERAL times...but yet I'm also told that I still don't get it so maybe it'd be better left to someone else. Just let me know what you hear on that.
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-03 3:00 PM (#507218 - in reply to #507203)

Brad Durasa - 2015-03-03 8:24 AM

BrickGlass - 2015-03-03 7:19 AM

Oh no no, we cannot be waiting months for threads to "go off" as you put it. I feel like there is a huge untapped realm of fascinating, riveting, enthralling, intriguing, hilarious discussion to be had here now. I've been a member since 2011 .....

Fun is fun and good conversation is just that.
But if feel you need to be the ***-hat who just likes to rile things up, personally, I'd say no thanks.
We've had a number of that ilk come & go over the years.
Yeah it's a little fun at first but gets predictable and old pretty quick.

Thanks for sharing. I joined here because I love Ovation guitars, and clearly there are some very interesting people here so I plan on coming around more often, whether you say "no thanks" or not. I have no intention of riling things up, but if I'm told I'll be made a corpse, or someone thinks a person is low class because of their playing style, well...I can't leave now, not when there are people here who say such fascinating things.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2015-03-03 4:11 PM (#507220 - in reply to #505787)

I'm Sorry...

Darkbar
Posted 2015-03-03 5:01 PM (#507224 - in reply to #505787)

Uh oh...the challenge in ON
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-03 10:03 PM (#507233 - in reply to #507220)

arthurseery - 2015-03-03 4:11 PM

I'm Sorry...

Awesome! Looks like I've been doing things right for the most part. I'll need to work on improving my insults towards some of the bullshit posts though.

And seriously, Old Man, you are amazing. Favorite poster here by far.
standing
Posted 2015-03-03 11:03 PM (#507238 - in reply to #505787)

I guess it's time to check out the "Insomniac Pop Quiz" - even that seems to be heading in a better direction than this one…
guitarwannabee
Posted 2015-03-07 12:51 PM (#507384 - in reply to #505787)

just when this thread really got going it just died ? someone put some gas on the fire and get it going again. GWB
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-03-08 11:19 AM (#507408 - in reply to #505787)

Maybe we ran out of bullshit and insults.
iglupickin
Posted 2015-03-08 12:55 PM (#507409 - in reply to #505787)

Everybody's got an opinion but sometimes.......... it's not a benefit to anyone unless constructive! Good, bad or indifferent, a debate on any topic is only beneficial if at the end, we agree that we disagree on some aspect of the topic as at least have some mutual respect for the other point of view!
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-09 6:49 AM (#507434 - in reply to #505787)

We can get things going again if necessary. Someone just say something ridiculous, preferably about TE since that would keep the thread on topic, and things could get rolling again. Would depend on what gets said.
guitarwannabee
Posted 2015-03-09 4:40 PM (#507464 - in reply to #505787)

what is the story behind your name brickglass ? GWB
BrickGlass
Posted 2015-03-10 4:35 AM (#507493 - in reply to #507464)

guitarwannabee - 2015-03-09 4:40 PM

what is the story behind your name brickglass ? GWB

My name is Brick. I play in a band that includes the name Glass.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-03-10 5:41 AM (#507494 - in reply to #507408)

Mark in Boise - 2015-03-08 12:19 PM

Maybe we ran out of bullshit and insults.

Hey! Speak for yourself! I'm still FULL of bullshit, and have notice NO reduction in the number of insults thrown my way...
arumako
Posted 2015-03-10 9:37 AM (#507500 - in reply to #505787)

...boy, this post has made an interesting turn...felt like I was reading the archives from 2005 or so...heart rate is racing...

Edited by arumako 2015-03-10 9:40 AM
guitarwannabee
Posted 2015-03-11 6:45 PM (#507590 - in reply to #505787)

hey brick give us a little info on yourself and your band , you have been a member for 4 years and have not posted very much. you would of loved to of been here in 2006 7-8-9 when the posts flew off topic just about on a daily basis . heck you haven't been broken in until bobg plays his banjo music for you and talks about his fling with one of the allman brothers. GWB
MarkM
Posted 2015-05-02 12:13 AM (#509742 - in reply to #505787)

I'm coming late to this conversation. This tour, Tommy was traveling with 3 Maton's. Most of the percussion/scratching is carried out with one of them. I couldn't tell you if there are tuning differences that determine his choice of instruments for a givern tune.

Clive Carroll borrowed one for the show in Santa Cruz, as his main guitar had an electronics failure a day or 2 before the show.

Tommy commented on retiring a guitar about 2 years ago, that flew apart on stage. He implied that they're lasting years.
The finish scratches are obvious, and fingernails must be alot of it. Probably thumbpicks, too. He uses drummers (plastic bristle) brushes on the guitar, the microphone, and his forehead.

Tommy routinely uses a soundhole cover/plug, for feedback control. I think the Maton pickup system includes an internal mic.

8 days later, I went to their show in San Francisco at the Palace of Fine Arts. Clive's own guitar had been fixed by Richard Hoover at Santa Cruz Guitar Co.
Both were in fine form, and I was able to introduce another virgin to Tommy's music.

I've spoken to Tommy at the Strawberry Music Festival, and observed his interactions with a luthier who was displaying his creations. Tommy was complimentary to the luthier, and a real gentleman to me and his fans who were buying merchandise.

He gave a preliminary announcement for a Guitar Workshop he'll be presenting this September?, in Cambria, on the Calfornia Coast. Be there, or be square! :-)

M^2
Cripple Rick
Posted 2015-05-05 8:48 PM (#509863 - in reply to #505787)

Wow. Each of my guitars is a sacred friend, and anyone who would deliberately smash one, in my thinking, leaves the realm of musical artist and slips into the realm of how-can-I-shock-the-world-and-sell-more-tickets. On the other hand, TE is living and playing in sacred space, and the damage he does to his guitars is a by-product of his genius. Two totally different things. My final vote is 5-stars to Old Man Arthur.
Darkbar
Posted 2015-05-06 5:52 AM (#509878 - in reply to #509863)

rhansen - 2015-05-05 9:48 PM

My final vote is 5-stars to Old Man Arthur.

He should get some kind of an award or something!
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2015-05-09 10:25 AM (#510030 - in reply to #505787)

I've loved Tommy Emmanuel for years since seeing him on public TV. I had the privilege of seeing/hearing him in Omaha a few months ago for his first show in Nebraska. We had great seats, perhaps 25 feet away.

He used his percussion, but I saw no chips flying off the guitar. I do think he loves his guitars, as he is also able to coax amazing tone and expression from them. As to being a showoff, I'd call him a showman. He is one of the finest and engaging entertainers I've heard, and he is a master of his instrument who uses it to give an audience a good time.

All of us in the world of music know that one size never fits all, and not everyone likes the same thing. I happen to love TE and will be a fan for life, and I could care less if other people don't like him. And I probably dislike some of the music y'all like, so there!! ;-)

Edited by Paul Blanchard 2015-05-09 10:27 AM
muzza
Posted 2015-05-10 8:42 AM (#510108 - in reply to #505787)

I've had a few jams with Tommy's brother, Phil.  You couldn't find somebody more different than Tommy.  Very approachable and real, loves electric guitars and LOUD.

He calls acoustic guitars firewood.

By the way, isn't that old saying supposed to go like "I COULDN'T care less"?  As in, my level of caring is so low, it couldn't get lower.

I have noticed many Americans using "could" instead.  Doesn't really make sense. If you COULD care less, that means you DO care, even if it's just a little.

Edited by muzza 2015-05-10 8:49 AM