Ovation vs Taylor forum
BT717
Posted 2008-01-11 7:16 AM (#61358)
Subject: Ovation vs Taylor forum

Ok as a fairly new member I have not been as involved in this fan club as most of you, but I would like to make an observation.
As a guitar player who enjoys both Ovations and
Taylors equally, for different reasons and more specifcally for the tone of the guitars I first joined the Ovation Fan club and "recently" joined the Taylor forum. I have found that the "members" of the Ovation fan club are Nicer, more knowlegable and more "welcoming" to us Newbies then the other "forum". I know a "bunch" of you do not like Taylors due to their Expense and "snobbyness" portayed, But, I truly beleive that if there was a "contest" where someone was choosing between an Ovation and Taylor and they put one of each of the older members of each forum in a room with this person, that this person would walk out with the Ovation due to your knowledge of the guitar and overall personalities (I know , you all got me fooled!!)
Anyway, thanks for the "warm fuzzy's" :) :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-01-11 7:59 AM (#61359 - in reply to #61358)
Subject: Re: Ovation vs Taylor forum

We let anyone in here. ;) From the members that I have met personally, I would say you won't find a better bunch of people anywhere. Everyone I have been exposed to, would give you the shirt off their back. Many have sent me things I needed for free,(you know who you are) and I in turn have done the same. Beggin even invited me and my family into his house to stay overnight before he ever laid eyes on me. (now that he's seen me, he may change his mind the next time.) Capo guy has shown his hospitality more than once when we visit his area, Zilla, G8r, TRboy, Jas, Gway, Andrea,...the list goes on. If you ever get a chance to meet up with other members, make every effort to do it. You won't be disappointed. :cool:
Weaser P
Posted 2008-01-11 8:02 AM (#61360 - in reply to #61358)

"He LIKES us...he really LIKES us..!"
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-11 8:03 AM (#61361 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by BT717:
I know a "bunch" of you do not like Taylors due to their Expense and "snobbyness" portayed, ...
Expense and Snobbyness are not the reasons that I think Taylor guitars suck...

But you bring up some good points. Ovation (and Ovation owners) are a serious underdog and in any battle we need to be lean, mean, well prepared and really know our facts. As an underdog Ovation owners have to know a lot more abut other brands just to stay in the conversation. Taylor fans don't need to even know that Ovation exists. In the hypothetical example you pose, I absolutely agree with you that the buyer would walk out of the room with an Ovation in his hand. And if I was the Ovation sage involved, the Taylor guy would be left bleeding in the room with a finger jointed headstock shoved straight up has arse.

Welcome to the club.
Dave
Slipkid
Posted 2008-01-11 8:17 AM (#61362 - in reply to #61358)

Oh well, the "warm fuzzy" thing was great while it lasted. :)
Paulcc1
Posted 2008-01-11 8:35 AM (#61363 - in reply to #61358)

I want to say The Folks Here Are AWESOME!
Pauly
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-11 9:07 AM (#61364 - in reply to #61358)

Thanks for kind comments, BT. Another very important point to remember is that 99% of whatever apparently harsh words are posted here is nothing more than tongue-in-cheek ribbing between friends. There is a lot of inside humor in these threads, and don't ever take anything too seriously. For every Martin/Taylor/Gibson hater in the OFC, there is likely an equal or greater number of lovers of those same instruments here as well. We all appreciate the Ovation/Adamas line and you probably can now add brother Hamer and distant cousin Takamine to that group as well. There's a lot of other very fine instruments out there and many of us appreciate and own a number of them. However, we also have an appreciation, perhaps even a preference, for the Ovation family line and, dare I say, those who own them, which is why most of us are here in the first place.
BT717
Posted 2008-01-11 9:15 AM (#61365 - in reply to #61358)

In response to Trader Jim, I do hope to meet some or most of the members at the next OFC meeting in New Hartford. I am not the best Guitar player but feel you guys would put up with my playing. I have to admit though, I'm beginning to get a little concerned about Tupperware, He's starting to scare me a bit. Is he ok? stable mentally?? (LOL!!) I'm beginning think I should get a restraining order against him, you know he can't get within 20 ft of me and my Tay.....! At my age I allready have a "fat Ass" I don't need any thing else sticking out my back end!! LOL!!!
Hey Tup, your allowed your opinions!!
I am beginniing to believe that Taylors are you Upperclass snobs (along with another Major MFG I will not name due to fear for my own life lol!!) and Ovation is your solid "bluecollar" reliable work horse just like the OFC members
Thanks again
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 9:19 AM (#61366 - in reply to #61358)

Sally Field... heh-heh.

This place does have a certain... a certain....

umm....

... a certain, ehh...

well...

it's...

like...

"gaiety"
Beal
Posted 2008-01-11 9:23 AM (#61367 - in reply to #61358)

BT7171
I think you got it right with the Ova/Tay. Taylors are nice enough guitars and there are some good ones out there, I just don't like them. But I really don't like that "Better than you" attitude many of "those" people get.
Tuppy is OK, it's Standing Ovation you have to worry about, he's the unstable one!
alpep
Posted 2008-01-11 9:25 AM (#61368 - in reply to #61358)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a "bunch" of you do not like Taylors due to their Expense and "snobbyness" portayed, ...

so so so so wrong
I have played many and have yet to have one speak to me.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-11 9:47 AM (#61369 - in reply to #61358)

About Tup, I agree that he has a measure of insanity. For instance, when he buys something, he buys ten of them, then later gives them away on this forum. When crazy works in your favor, you don't mind it so much.
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-11 9:59 AM (#61370 - in reply to #61358)

I have to agree that it is a very kewl forum. It's funny, I posted an ovation related post on another forum and got totally attacked! It was kinda fun, sorta like hey man thou dost protest too much! But it is fun to trash talk a little and do a little trolling at times too. Hey I like a good argument like anyone else. I just used to be one of those guys who would never walk over to the "ovation" side of the shop ...it felt a little dirty. then I finally got the nerve to do it and bought the thing! Now I am experiencing that "new convert" thing...so my opinions aren't exactly based in very much fact or experience. However I do know music, and I know what a good sounding guitar sounds like and my son's 1778 Elite is great sounding!
Bill
PS: as for Taylors, great guitars. I have to say that my son was asked point blank if he would rather have a Taylor 214, and he looked at me with that "what you talkin' bout Willis" look...heh heh... :cool:
dobro
Posted 2008-01-11 10:00 AM (#61371 - in reply to #61358)

Also: many of us "imprinted" on the Ovation sound. What I mean is that, somewhere between Woodstock and MTV, we were blown away by outrageous guitar music coming out of Ovations EVERYWHERE: Glen, McLaughlin, Cat, the Wilsons, Croce, Chapin, Al Stuart, Di Meola, Coryell the list is endless. These monsters were not just gentle Martin folks, for the most part;they were in-your-face rockers, balladeers, and fusion guys. Ovation is "fused" with the explosion of the best popular music ever made!!
Northcountry
Posted 2008-01-11 10:00 AM (#61372 - in reply to #61358)

I played a Taylor at the shop on Wed. I know I know.....I strayed........... I have to admit it sounded great! In fact, depending upon the listener, it could be a coin flip against my Adamas ??
I have to admit It had a very full and rich sound, hands down a great wood guitar! but the model that had this sound also had a price tag at $4899 made me very happy with my 25 year old Adamas's once again.

Then I played a $450 Epiphone.................Dam I almost bought it right there! Sounded about as good as the Taylor or my O's and for the price a better working guitar than my $2000 adamas's are!

I don't knock the the Taylor guitars the way their owners turn their noses up at me. Ovations still get little respect amongst the musicians in my area but they don't say much to me. I have some pretty difficult songs in my set lists and at the end of the night most any of the guy's that play guitar who are still hanging around usually go out of their way to tell me they were amazed at the sound of my guitars because they were always told these ovations were junk! They just can't believe how good they are, unfortunatly ten minutes after they or I leave they forget this new found knowledge and go back to their Taylor in its case at home and bond and it all starts again the next day.

Randy
G8r
Posted 2008-01-11 10:05 AM (#61373 - in reply to #61358)

SSSHHHHH! We don't want everybody to know what an outstanding value Ovation & Adamas guitars are, it'll drive the prices up ;) .

Let the Taylor lovers sit around in their mutual masturbation society and congratulate each other for spending 5X what they need to on some wood and metal.
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-11 10:11 AM (#61374 - in reply to #61358)

Back on topic: The point is not Taylors or any other guitar brand. The point BT makes is that this is GREAT forum. And I know that everyone of us completely agrees on THAT. Welcome again.

Dave

PS - I'm really not a bad guy, honestly.

PSS - 50% of what I say is not true. 90% of what others say about me is not true.
BT717
Posted 2008-01-11 10:25 AM (#61375 - in reply to #61358)

He likes me, He REALLY likes me!!!!
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 10:25 AM (#61376 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Tupperware:
PSS - 50% of what I say is not true. 90% of what others say about me is not true.
The question is, which 50% does the second statement fall into?
Capo Guy
Posted 2008-01-11 10:27 AM (#61377 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Northcountry:

Then I played a $450 Epiphone.................Dam I almost bought it right there! Sounded about as good as the Taylor or my O's and for the price a better working guitar than my $2000 adamas's are!

Randy what model was it? I played a Masterbuilt EF-500M and was blown away by the sound. Very similar to a Martin OM, for a LOT LESS $$$.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-11 11:01 AM (#61378 - in reply to #61358)

I have been disappointed a couple of times by members of this board. Once was when I met Tupperware, or possibly his alter ego, Standing Ovation. I think I had built up a legendary figure in my mind, after looking at his gallery and reading his caustic remarks on this forum. When I visited his home I was expecting an Ovation version of Graceland. My wife was afraid to go in. Anyway, he turned out to be, I hate to say it, normal. He was pleasant. He even drove me miles out of the way to my parents' so that they didn't have to pick me up. My parents and wife commented that he seemed like a really nice guy. That was something totally unexpected.
The second person who disappointed me was Al. I had read numerous stories about Al packing guitar boxes with pizza boxes and beer wrappers. When I got the OFC guitar, I was looking forward to seeing what kind of pizza he ate and beer he drank. Since Al's Polish and lives in New Jersey, I was expecting some really exotic food wrappers. Kind of like reading the papers you find as packing material when you open a box from your grandparents' attic. Anyway, nothing. Just normal packing stuff. The guitar and all the other goodies were great, but the packing material was hardly the stuff of legends.
People don't understand why I spend so much time on this board. My entire career is spent dealing with egotistical jerks fighting each other. Why would I want to deal with people who have nothing in common except roundbacked guitars and being nice. Boooooorrrrrring.
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 11:06 AM (#61379 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
Why would I want to deal with people who have nothing in common except roundbacked guitars and being nice. Boooooorrrrrring.
Glad I was able to live up to your expectations.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-11 11:09 AM (#61380 - in reply to #61358)

Waskel, I think of you more as RESTful than boring.
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 11:15 AM (#61381 - in reply to #61358)

There's a difference??
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 11:16 AM (#61382 - in reply to #61358)

Thanks, Jas. Bite me, Cliff.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 11:26 AM (#61383 - in reply to #61358)

I prefer to think of him as, "Soporific".
War Eagle
Posted 2008-01-11 11:27 AM (#61384 - in reply to #61358)

My first memories of Ovation are my Dad singing Jim Reeves, Eddie Arnold,Marty Robbins etc..I had no idea that I would become a collector of these guitars. I have a couple of buddies who own music stores and they constantly give me a rash of @#*( about my Ovations... I don't go for the flavor of the day guitar, I go for the guitars that have become a very important part of me...Welcome BT717...These guys are GREAT!!!
Keith
PEZ
Posted 2008-01-11 11:36 AM (#61385 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by alpep:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so so so so wrong
I have played many and have yet to have one speak to me.
They tend to lack personality
in all wood I perfer Martin or Guild
Damon67
Posted 2008-01-11 11:41 AM (#61386 - in reply to #61358)

This is a great forum for sure. Can't wait to hang out with some of you on the 4th.

As for Taylor vs Ovation.... We're talking Apple and Oranges.

Taylor vs any other wood box, I'll take another wood box.

My Washburn sounds and plays just as good, and to get a Taylor with the same sorts of woods and appointments...

Well I could buy at least 6 more Washburns... Actually, I think I need some more round backs!
an4340
Posted 2008-01-11 11:45 AM (#61387 - in reply to #61358)

Basically, the Taylor people don't get it. The people here do. That's why they can appreciate Ovations and other guitars.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-11 11:56 AM (#61388 - in reply to #61358)

By the way, I think taylors are OK, they don't do anything for, but they don't, as Al says, "speak to me."
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-11 12:02 PM (#61389 - in reply to #61358)

Yeah, this is a good place to come and unwind, bend a few bon mots with people who appreciate wit and a fine turn of phrase.

There's Americans too.

PS: 73% of what Tup said is 67% true, 8 times out of five. Keep in mind that 86.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

By politicians, salesmen, and Sociology Post-doc lecturers.
stephent28
Posted 2008-01-11 12:57 PM (#61390 - in reply to #61358)

The only Taylor that has called out to me is the one I own (which is the Doyle Dykes Signature Model).

Not a typical Taylor sound and sounds like no other in the stable. Very smooth almost jazzy kind of guitar.

Every other "T" I have tried was underwhelming.
brainslag
Posted 2008-01-11 1:04 PM (#61391 - in reply to #61358)

I almost bought a Taylor 12, I like them, but are a bit too much buck for the sound. If I had bought it, I would consider myself a Taylor owning Ovation player. In that respect:

A lot of "Ovation Players" own Taylors.

Few "Taylor Players" own Ovations.
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 1:05 PM (#61392 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
Nobody has to get hurt here... just put the thesaurus on the table and back... slowly... away...
brainslag
Posted 2008-01-11 1:08 PM (#61393 - in reply to #61358)

Im not looking anything up in the thesaurus today guys. Take it easy on me. Stick to easy words.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-11 1:23 PM (#61394 - in reply to #61358)

Silly buggers! The Thesaurus has been extinct since the Plasticine Age!
Weaser P
Posted 2008-01-11 1:25 PM (#61395 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by The Wabbit Formerly Known As Waskel:
Originally posted by Jeff W.:
Nobody has to get hurt here... just put the thesaurus on the table and back... slowly... away...
I'm afraid I disagree, Wask. Soporific? I think somebody does have to get hurt.
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 1:26 PM (#61396 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by fillhixx:
Silly buggers! The Thesaurus has been extinct since the Plasticine Age!
I thought it was the Thorazine Era.
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 1:29 PM (#61397 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Weaser P:
I'm afraid I disagree, Wask. Soporific? I think somebody does have to get hurt.
Eh. I figure if I can contribute to the amount of time Jeff spends unconscious I've done my part to improve the quality of life for the rest of us.
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 1:34 PM (#61398 - in reply to #61358)

The Ambien of the OFC . . .
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-11 1:48 PM (#61399 - in reply to #61358)

Well Wabbit, you got me there. I know much more about Plasticine than Thorazine, and I intend to keep it that way.

As long as they keep making coloured comics I'm fine. (calm down, I meant the paper kind, not Richard Pryor!)
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-11 2:00 PM (#61400 - in reply to #61358)

Dead honky!
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 2:02 PM (#61401 - in reply to #61358)

:D
Mitchrx
Posted 2008-01-11 2:02 PM (#61402 - in reply to #61358)

Back on topic: The point is not Taylors or any other guitar brand. The point BT makes is that this is GREAT forum. And I know that everyone of us completely agrees on THAT. Welcome again.

Dave

PS - I'm really not a bad guy, honestly.

Let's start with the facts though. Tuppy not normal, he's a ukelele player! He owns lots of guitars, but I've never seen him play one, just those stupid 4 string mini things. :D

As far as guitar forums go, this one really is great. I would never have believed that I could make friends through an internet site. I've been to several OFC events and can say that the members I've met are the absolute best.

So BT717, we will look forward to meeting you at the next OFC Factory Tour. Just make sure that you leave the Taylor at home. Not because you might get ridiculed or won't sound good at the jam, but Jeff W. might be tempted to launch it in his trebouchet. ;)

Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-11 2:34 PM (#61403 - in reply to #61358)

I heard a rumor that Jeff was very different from his online persona. Fairly quiet and reserved. That was before he brought the trebouchet to the last OFC tour. Haven't heard the rumor since.
dvd
Posted 2008-01-11 2:43 PM (#61404 - in reply to #61358)

trebuchet videos
Slipkid
Posted 2008-01-11 3:02 PM (#61405 - in reply to #61358)

Having met Jeff a couple times now I'll still stick with "quiet & reserved" in person personna. To quote Dr. Fronkensteen, "Quite, Dignity, & Grace".
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 3:19 PM (#61406 - in reply to #61358)

I heard a rumor that Jeff was very different from his online persona. Fairly quiet and reserved. That was before he brought the trebouchet to the last OFC tour. Haven't heard the rumor since.
Still water....

by Slipkid:
Having met Jeff a couple times now I'll still stick with "quiet & reserved" in person personna. To quote Dr. Fronkensteen, "Quite, Dignity, & Grace".
... after years (and years) of admonition and advice from mental health professionals, judges, parole officers and random women, I've learned to edit my "blurt" impulse in public....
stephent28
Posted 2008-01-11 3:30 PM (#61407 - in reply to #61358)

I hope someone remembered to request not only a separate room but a separate wing at the FloridaHouse Inn for Master Jeffery!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-11 3:31 PM (#61408 - in reply to #61358)

People used to say the same thing about me, Jeff. Lately, however, I'm turning into my father and people just wish I'd shut up. What's the saying about if you keep quiet you don't expose your lack of intelligence?
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 3:36 PM (#61409 - in reply to #61358)

There's a couple...

Proverbs says "Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue."

Abe Lincoln said "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 3:36 PM (#61410 - in reply to #61358)

I have that rare talent to expose my lack of intelegance both ways.
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 3:43 PM (#61411 - in reply to #61358)

Sort of "dumbed if I do, and dumbed if I don't".
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-11 3:45 PM (#61412 - in reply to #61358)

It was the Abe Lincoln version I was thinking about. I got away with it for several years until people started treating my silence as consent. Now, with SWMBO, I've learned that it doesn't matter whether I remain silent or voice my disagreement, she does what she wants.
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 3:46 PM (#61413 - in reply to #61358)

". . Still water...."

. . . gets polluted.
G8r
Posted 2008-01-11 3:47 PM (#61414 - in reply to #61358)

Now, with SWMBO, I've learned that it doesn't matter whether I remain silent or voice my disagreement, she does what she wants.
The really clever ones make you wind up thinking it was your idea, no matter what they do.
dobro
Posted 2008-01-11 3:49 PM (#61415 - in reply to #61358)

I believe it was Wilde that said "Bigamy is having one spouse too many. Marriage is much the same." :(
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 3:52 PM (#61416 - in reply to #61358)

". . why!, THAT'd be bigamy!! . . . that WOULD be big o' me!! . . "

- Marx
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-11 3:54 PM (#61417 - in reply to #61358)

Cleverness requires too much thinking and takes too long. She just says, "We discussed this." Meaning, she talked about it to someone, not necessarily me, and possibly when I was in an adjacent room watching football or on this board and I didn't voice any objection, or if I voiced an objection, she didn't listen to it.
On the other hand, if it really was my idea, she rejects it until some woman suggests the same thing and then it's brilliant. I keep trying to find women that make brilliant suggestions to her at my urging, but I haven't had any success.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-11 4:00 PM (#61418 - in reply to #61358)

Any that do will immediately be under suspicion of being your mistress....and you KNOW how expensive that can be!
(presuming professional exposure here, not personal)
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-11 4:02 PM (#61419 - in reply to #61358)

Just to get this topic back on point, here's a pic of my Taylor. And there's at least a Washburn, two Epiphones, two Gibsons, and two Gretschs also in the pic. I think I even see a guitar.
stephent28
Posted 2008-01-11 4:09 PM (#61420 - in reply to #61358)

Brad....a 45th would look awesome in that picture.

Trust me :cool:
BT717
Posted 2008-01-11 4:10 PM (#61421 - in reply to #61358)

I just got back from a dental appointment that was suppose to last 2 hours, it took 3 1/2 hours!!!
Very painful. Kind of like reading Tupperwares responses :D Now I know how and why some of you have so many posts!!LOL!!
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-11 4:18 PM (#61422 - in reply to #61358)

Stephen, this pic is two years old. This corner doesn't look like this anymore.
Slipkid
Posted 2008-01-11 4:18 PM (#61423 - in reply to #61358)

BT... Did you check out the trebuchet videos?
Those should be mandatory viewing for every new member.
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 4:23 PM (#61424 - in reply to #61358)

and the Fishsticks.
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 4:31 PM (#61425 - in reply to #61358)

Some of those OFC videos should really be put in the "Links" section . . .
BT717
Posted 2008-01-11 4:33 PM (#61426 - in reply to #61358)

Slipkid,
just checked out the videos. You guys are SICK! :D I was suprised to see an "O" as the sacrifice. Whose was it ad where did this take place?
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 4:38 PM (#61427 - in reply to #61358)

They were non-repairables from the Factory that were headed for the bandsaw/dumpster.

That was the parking lot at SkiSundown.
Slipkid
Posted 2008-01-11 4:48 PM (#61428 - in reply to #61358)

It happened at the last OFC factory tour gathering.
Beal
Posted 2008-01-11 4:55 PM (#61429 - in reply to #61358)

Nex time, Estebans.
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-11 5:01 PM (#61430 - in reply to #61358)

I'm coming to this thread late, but since I'm a Taylor owner, here goes:

Bob Taylor is an amazing guy. What he did was nothing short of remarkable, and the guitars they are making these days are simply incredible. The level of fit and finish on them is just hard to believe. They are on top of the world now, but you need to remember that he started making guitars not long after Charlie Kaman...but CK was already a successful businessman with a ton of resources at his disposal. BT was just a kid in San Diego who wanted to make guitars.

At the moment, I own two acoustic guitars: My Ovation Koala and a 30th anniversary Taylor 714ce. Overall, I prefer the Ovation. Actually, its not even a close call. I hardly ever pull the Taylor out of its case anymore and only keep it around because I don't want to be without a backup guitar. I am thinking about trading it in on another Ovation...I've always wanted a Custom Legend.

There are some amazingly positive things about the Taylor company. For example, David Hosler (one of Taylor's senior product development guys) posted some info about their new solid bodies over on the AG forum a while back. I cut into him pretty good, seeing as how at the moment I was frustrated because my 714 was back in the shop, having left me stranded for the second time showing up DOA at a gig. He contacted me off line, had me send in the guitar, and gave me an upgrade to their new 9v electronics system at no charge. They even dressed the frets and fixed the binding where I had dropped the guitar. I was impressed. Still am. Those guys are amazing.

While I hate to be critical, here is a critical thought: The wood-sniffers over on the Taylor forum are the pickiest bunch of whiners you will ever encounter. I recall one thread where they were all horrified that their guitars tended to rest toward the "hinge side" of their cases. Never mind that that is how gravity works, they were convinced that this was some sort of manufacturing defect. It was just amazing reading them go on and on about it.

Something about the Taylor guitar seems to attract these people...they seem to think of their guitars more as art objects than as musical instruments.

In contrast, Ovation owners seem to have a more utilitarian view of their guitars. That's where I am anyway. Guitars are just firewood to me. They don't have "soul". They are there to help me do a job. That's all.

Bla bla bla...I hate long posts. I never read them. Than's for reading mine.
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-11 5:01 PM (#61431 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Mauvais Beal:
Nex time, Estebans.
Are you going to join the Esteban World Tour?
Arc Angel
Posted 2008-01-11 5:08 PM (#61432 - in reply to #61358)

This is a great forum. Personally, I've been surprised at the antipathy and outright scorn/hatred for Ovations evidenced in some other forums.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 5:10 PM (#61433 - in reply to #61358)

Omaha,
That was hilarious.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-11 5:17 PM (#61434 - in reply to #61358)

Even the scorn for Taylors is pretty much an affectation to some degree. After all, you gotta draw a line somewhere or this would just be
the cool Old Farts who Collect guitars forum
schroeder
Posted 2008-01-11 5:18 PM (#61435 - in reply to #61358)

If you ever look inside a Taylor you'll be amazed at how they don't finish the braces, the glue round the purfling and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe it's improved down the years, but the players are still assholes. They are as far in one direction as we are in the other. All their postings are about guitars for mercy's sake.
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-11 5:20 PM (#61436 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by schroeder:
If you ever look inside a Taylor you'll be amazed at how they don't finish the braces, the glue round the purfling and a bunch of other stuff.
There I disagree. At least in this sense: The overall level of refinement on my Taylor compared to my Ovation is exceptional. The Ovation is not in the same league when it comes to fit and finish.

Not that the Ovation is "bad", but the Taylor is on a whole other level.
schroeder
Posted 2008-01-11 5:30 PM (#61437 - in reply to #61358)

At the London Guitar Show a couple of years ago (maybe 3) they had a topless model (leave it boys) showing the then new pickup system. There were splinters everywhere on the braces and glue all over the back and I asked the Taylor guy if that was how the guitars left the factory. He said that nobody ever looks inside.....

Maybe they've cleaned up their act.

Nothing has ever changed my view that Bob Taylor is in it for the money, unlike say Larry Fishburn, Jol, Seymour Duncan and PRS who have become seriously rich because they just did the best they could at something they loved doing. We should all be grateful to PRS because he raised quality control to a level never seen before in a factory produced guitar.
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 5:48 PM (#61438 - in reply to #61358)

They make REAL nice furniture.
That being said, my desk "sounds" better than aLOT of the Taylor guitars I've tried.

I've gotta' admit they've got their "Marketing" sh!t DOWN!
They've got aLOT of people "convinced" that just because they "sell" the most, that they're the best
. . must be that whole "Scientology" connection (but I'm not going "there") . . .
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 6:06 PM (#61439 - in reply to #61358)

Taylor is the WoodBox version of the PlasticGuitar
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-11 6:07 PM (#61440 - in reply to #61358)

Omaha,
This is just an idea for which I have no evidentiary support. Perhaps many people buy Taylors because they like the "status" of owning a Taylor. Perhaps many of them would buy cars, watches or houses or anything else primarily on the basis of the impression that others would have. It's pretty much the American way and maybe the way of the world. Marketing people would be out of work if all people cared about was the utility of the product. People would never buy jewelry.
If that's Taylor's market niche, that's fine. Most of those people would never listen to any reasons why some other guitar might be "better" because they have convinced themselves or Taylor has done a good job of convincing them that Taylor is the best. I'd like to convince myself that Ovation is the best, too. The realist in me won't do that, so I'm satified with knowing that they are the best for me.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-11 6:31 PM (#61441 - in reply to #61358)

Look at it from Taylor's perspective. Maybe they're concerned as hell right now knowing that the Fender folks have bought the Kaman music division and have the knowledge and resources to market the O/A brand at an entirely new level. Or not.
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-11 6:31 PM (#61442 - in reply to #61358)

Or maybe Taylor owners are just wankers.

Personally, I don't give a crap what kind of guitar someone plays. Who cares? Guitars are no big deal. I don't take this stuff seriously.

But a lot of Taylor owners do. And that's the rub.

Terms like "good" and "bad" don't make sense here. Is vanilla "good" and chocolate "bad". Its all just the same.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I am thinking I'm putting my 714 on the 'bay and seeing what Al can do for me on a CL.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 6:45 PM (#61443 - in reply to #61358)

Omaha,
That was hilarious.
schroeder
Posted 2008-01-11 6:54 PM (#61444 - in reply to #61358)

This is where we find that jeff is like wolfman jack in american grafitti. just a reel-to-reel running out in the woods.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 7:02 PM (#61445 - in reply to #61358)

<>
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2008-01-11 7:26 PM (#61446 - in reply to #61358)

I Double-Dog-Dare anyone going to NAMM to go downstairs to the R.Taylor booth, not the big, stupid Taylor Room upstairs. You will see some of the finest guitars that have been hand made by Bob's "dream team" of luthiers.

They ARE NOT Taylors...They are $10K+ guitars for $4-6K. I have a friend who has two. One is a prototype and the other is 10-2006, or the 10th one produced. His "old" guitar was a GA custom, no slouch as far as Taylors go. It might have well been an Estabahn. Hardly anyone evens talk about R.Taylors AFG. (Americas funniest guitars) :p :D :p :D
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-01-11 7:46 PM (#61447 - in reply to #61358)

ProfesorBB : Maybe they're concerned as hell right now knowing that the Fender folks have bought the Kaman music division and have the knowledge and resources to market the O/A brand at an entirely new level. Or not.
---------------------------------------------

Has FENDER bought the factory , or have they taken over Distribution ?
Mitchrx
Posted 2008-01-11 8:39 PM (#61448 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Omaha:
Something about the Taylor guitar seems to attract these people...they seem to think of their guitars more as art objects than as musical instruments.
Well put. That's what make this forum different from theirs.
gulfcoast
Posted 2008-01-11 8:43 PM (#61449 - in reply to #61358)

I seem to remember Tupp saying some kind words about a Taylor a while back...
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2008-01-11 9:02 PM (#61450 - in reply to #61358)

I can't say anything about the Taylor forum, because I don't own a Taylor and therefore don't belong--but when I seriously needed a hug last fall, I got about two dozen of them, and they were from all over the world. And that's what makes this such a caring, crazy, sometimes weird, sometimes wacko, sometimes bawdy, never boring place to be. For me, it's not so much about the "what" as it is the "who"--sure, I know an enormous amount about Ovations that I didn't know two years ago, but being on the site and watching things unfold from day to day has definitely enriched my life.
Thanks and hugs to all and sundry,
--Karen
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-01-11 9:24 PM (#61451 - in reply to #61358)

I might add... (Here we go :rolleyes: )
I came to the Ovation Fan Club cuz I had just bought a Balladeer. I have been to other forums searching for information.
And you know what?...

They were Boring! (and not that town in Oregon)

Some are real technical, but they weren't having any fun!
[at one forum, they were bashing all the newbie questions without giving any good info! :mad: ]

This online community is actually a Community! :D
And I really appreciate that, which is why I am here. :cool:

-Now back to my normal random remarks-
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-11 9:38 PM (#61452 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Jewel's Mom:
--but when I seriously needed a hug last fall, I got about two dozen of them, and they were from all over the world.
Some of us (not me!) just wanted to rub up against a warm female chest....Mmmmmm.
sometimes bawdy, never boring place to be. For me, it's not so much about the "what" as it is the "who"--
And as long as I keep changing servers, no one will ever know.

Signed; The Decider
Doh!
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-11 9:38 PM (#61453 - in reply to #61358)

Omaha, thanks for sticking up for me on that "other" forum...yeah, I kinda hijacked the thread but it was getting kinda boring anyway. It's amazing how you can mention the name "Ovation" and people just starat attacking you, or they don't take you seriously. Geez!
I owned a Taylor, I loved it...traded it for something else, then got something else. all of them way more guitar than I ever could learn to play without looking like a poser. Frankly my favorite guitar is usually the one I'm holding. I just want my kid to have the guitar he wants rather than the one I think he should have. Funny thing is I've been asking him to play his since I gave it to him, while my Martin sits in it's "coffin"...eventually I will go back to her though. ;)
I tried to get into the Acoustic forum, and it was all about Taylor's and they were really rigid about posting, and it all had a pretty oppressive, heavy religiocity about it so it wasn't really my deal and I left. Reminded me of a bunch of guys with penis envy...
Here people are a little more laid back and accepting of other opinions. that's why I like it. Heck man, I would kill for that Taylor 514...Nancy Griffith played one in the 90's. very sweet guitar! again, more guitar than I will ever be able to play. I guess to sum it up my favorite guitar is the one in my hand, and the one in my hand these days has been an Ovation!
Cheers, Bill
PS: shout out to mtnbikerFred; I ride in Michigan. Great place to mtnbike, ivf you're ever out here gimmee a shout and I can direct you to some great locations! :)
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-11 10:25 PM (#61454 - in reply to #61358)

I've always got your back, bro.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 11:50 PM (#61455 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by mtnbikerfred:
I Double-Dog-Dare anyone going to NAMM to go downstairs to the R.Taylor booth, not the big, stupid Taylor Room upstairs. You will see some of the finest guitars that have been hand made by Bob's "dream team" of luthiers.

They ARE NOT Taylors...They are $10K+ guitars for $4-6K. I have a friend who has two. One is a prototype and the other is 10-2006, or the 10th one produced. His "old" guitar was a GA custom, no slouch as far as Taylors go. It might have well been an Estabahn. Hardly anyone evens talk about R.Taylors AFG. (Americas funniest guitars) :p :D :p :D
needed to read this again
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-12 1:12 AM (#61456 - in reply to #61358)

There's such a thing as a $10,000 "F"ing guitar!
Segovia didn't play a $10,000 "F"ing guitar!

Sorry. I just had to share that.
THOUGHT I SHOULDN'T SHOUT IT!
But there is SO MUCH Christmas liquor left over, y'know?

and it's Friday, 'n' all......
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-12 9:31 AM (#61457 - in reply to #61358)

If you don't like how those idiots on the Taylor board carry on, then don't go there. I don't. I've got something like 10 posts in 5 years. Every time I read their insecure sniveling crap two words come to my mind- "small penis".

Same goes for the guitars. If you don't like Taylor guitars, then don't buy them. I don't. People buy them for the name and because Taylor does a great job of marketing, advertising and artist relations. Big deal.

Everyone has an opinion. Here's mine - CLICK.

Dave
gulfcoast
Posted 2008-01-12 9:45 AM (#61458 - in reply to #61358)

Would someone(JeffW) go back and find Daves review of my old Taylor 710L9 and post it here please....
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-12 9:47 AM (#61459 - in reply to #61358)

fillhix, good point. Ronaldhino didn't learn how to play soccer on 150.00 world cup balls eeither. More like some old clothing rolled up in a ball and ductaped.
...I'm lucky that I live in "Michigone" and still have the means to purchase any guitar at all!! I think we should all quit our jobs and go live with Tupperware, he seems to have enough guitars for evbody!! :D
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-12 10:14 AM (#61460 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by gulfcoast:
Would someone(JeffW) go back and find Daves review of my old Taylor 710L9 and post it here please....
I tried to delete that post! YES, gulf your guitar was nice. In fact it was THE NICEST TAYLOR I HAVE EVER PLAYED. But, I still didn't buy it from you even at that great price, did I.

No disrespect to your guitar, because it was indeed very, very nice. But digest what I just wrote - THE nicest Taylor I have ever played AND I still had NO desire to own it. To me that statement speaks volumes. Am I biased, absolutely. Am I discriminating against Taylors and maybe passing up a jewel in the haystcak? Sure. But I just catagorically don't like the whole stinking brand. Sorry.

I WILL say this, because I disagree with some other staements made about Taylor quality. From what I have seen Taylor quality workmanship is top notch. On the models I have looked at in detail the quality rivals the best in the business. OTHER companies that we are a lot more familiar with could take some lessons from Taylor. But I still would never want to own one.

Dave
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-12 10:18 AM (#61461 - in reply to #61358)

Mediocre guitars in the hands of true artists will sound like much more expensive guitars.

Here's an analogy. I once raced off-road motorcycles in the California high desert. Never very good, but I won some trophies and a few short-term endorsements. Later on, I took some lessons at the track and fancied myself as a pretty good track rider. About five years ago, I was trying out a $20,000 Ducati at the local track doing what I thought was an outstanding job of showing off my skills when one of the track pros went by me on an entry level Suzuki twin 600.

The saying on the track (and street) is that the best way to improve performance is to invest in the skills of the rider. I think this applies to guitar playing (and many other things) as well.
BT717
Posted 2008-01-12 10:48 AM (#61462 - in reply to #61358)

He guys /gals, The point of my post was how much I appreciated the OFC site. Not, what the better guitar was or is. That as stated many times is the owners or "players" disgresion. To get back on the subject, Thanks again for the Mostly positve support and acceptance.
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-12 10:54 AM (#61463 - in reply to #61358)

OFC Rule #14: Nothing beyond the first page of replies has any correlation to the original topic. This thread did better than most.

Welcome again BT, honestly you'll like it here.

Dave
Englishplayer
Posted 2008-01-12 11:58 AM (#61464 - in reply to #61358)

In regards to NEW guitars...

Without reading the 5 pages of comments, forgive me if I give an opinion already stated too many times. In the recent past, American made Ovations, for me, gave an excellent quality/sound/features per dollar value for me. With the current set of prices that is far less true than it was.
In general, I like the looks of Taylor guitars, so before I pick one up I want to like it. I'll pick up a 3 series .. looks good, feels good, sound not bad, price... 2-3 hundred too much for what you get.
The 5 and 7 series.... WAY too much for what you get. Wow looks, Wow quality, not Wow sound at a WOW, WOW, WOW price. I don't find this with Takamine higher level guitars, nor do I find this to be the case with Martin.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-12 1:38 PM (#61465 - in reply to #61358)

BT, most of us realize that the point of your thread was a comparison of the Ovation and Taylor forums, not the guitars. I'll get this back on track by saying that one of the interesting things about this forum is that nobody really cares too much about staying on track. There are almost no one track minds here. Most every post goes in different directions and, although some are fairly predictable, it is interesting to follow where people go with their conversations.
This board is like having a conversation among friends. I've often stopped those conversations and asked "How did we get on this topic?" With this board, I often have to scroll to the top and see how we got here. With an oral conversation you can't do that. Maybe the main difference between us and them is we're just chatting among friends here. The Ovations are just an excuse to get together.
G8r
Posted 2008-01-12 1:45 PM (#61466 - in reply to #61358)

Maybe the main difference between us and them is we're just chatting among friends here. The Ovations are just an excuse to get together.
Mark, you hit the nail on the head. Do the folks on the Taylor board have jams/gatherings like we seem to do all the time? True, we're gonna see & play some seriously nice Ovations, Adamii & others next weekend here, but the real reason for the get-together is a gathering of friends I've met, and friends I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting in person.
BT717
Posted 2008-01-12 2:54 PM (#61467 - in reply to #61358)

No problemo!! I hear what you are saying.
Slipkid
Posted 2008-01-12 3:24 PM (#61468 - in reply to #61358)

It's cool how questions, issues & ideas here on the OFC are quickly addressed and talked though and then allowed to stray where they may.
The tail end of any thread may have no relation to the topic, but you can be sure the starting topic has played itself out.

BTW.. I have played a few Taylors that I really liked. But there are other wood box guitars I would buy before any of them.
stephent28
Posted 2008-01-12 5:17 PM (#61469 - in reply to #61358)

OFC Rule #14: Nothing beyond the first page of replies has any correlation to the original topic. This thread did better than most.

Welcome again BT, honestly you'll like it here.

Dave
OFC Rule #17: Supersedes rule #14 in 47.8% of the cases where the original topic disintegrates BEFORE the first page reaches the halfway point.