FS: ADAMAS WOODTOP GUITAR COLLECTION
Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-17 1:22 PM (#482308)
Subject: FS: ADAMAS WOODTOP GUITAR COLLECTION

FOR SALE: ADAMAS WOODTOP COLLECTION - All Three Models

This is the BEST of BOTH worlds. The warmth and clarity of an Ovation woodtop guitar married with the depth, sustain and technology only available on Adamas ... The Adamas Woodtop Guitars are the pinnacle of Ovation/Adamas at their very best. I hate to let any of these go, but you just can't keep everything !!!

All three feature solid spruce top with inlaid wooden epaulets, hand laid fiberglass bowels with no access door, suspended top attachment ring, resin impregnated walnut fretboard, 5 piece neck, carved bridge, OP-PRO Studio and gold Schaller hardware

The models L-R:
- Adamas 2081WT, 6 string deep Contour cutaway in Honeyburst, MSRP $5299.
- Adamas 1681WT, 6 string deep bowl non-cutawat in Vintage Nutmeg, MSRP $5299.
- Adamas 2085WT, 12 string deep Contour cutaway in Vintage Natural, MSRP $5399.

ALL THREE for $7500. + S/H
ANY TWO for $5500. + S/H

Individual prices below if you only want one. Email or PM me if interested.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-17 1:22 PM (#482309 - in reply to #482308)
Subject: Re: FS: ADAMAS WOODTOP GUITAR COLLECTION

FOR SALE: ADAMAS WOOD TOP model 2081WT-HB

- Solid spruce top in Honeyburst finish
- Inlaid epaulets of multiple wood types
- Hand laid fiberglass bowl, deep Contour cutaway
- 5 piece neck with multi wood heel cap
- Adamas suspension ring top attachment
- Adamas Carved walnut bridge
- Adamas resin impregnated walnut fretboard
- 1 11/16 nutwidth
- Elite style wooden fret markers
- Gloss finish walnut peghead facing with Adamas logo
- Gold Schaller hardware with Bone tuner buttons
- OP PRO Studio preamp electronics
- Ovation hardshell case

Guitar is in as-new condition, virtually un-played and no signs of ever being out of the case
$2500. + S/H

PM or Email me if interested

Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-17 1:23 PM (#482310 - in reply to #482308)

FOR SALE: ADAMAS WOOD TOP model 1681WT-NM

- Solid spruce top in Nutmeg finish
- Hand laid fiberglass bowl, deep Non-cutaway
- 1 11/16 nutwidth
- Gold Schaller hardware
- Ovation hardshell case

Guitar is in as-new condition, virtually un-played and no signs of ever being out of the case
$2900. + S/H

Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-17 1:23 PM (#482311 - in reply to #482308)

FOR SALE: ADAMAS WOOD TOP 12-STRING model 2085WT-VN

- Solid spruce top in Vintage Natural finish
- Hand laid fiberglass bowl, deep Non-cutaway
- 1 7/8 nutwidth
- Gold Schaller hardware
- Ovation hardshell case

Guitar is in excellent to new condition, virtually un-played but one very small white mark 1/16 inch on the bowl.
$3200. + S/H

stephent28
Posted 2014-02-17 2:17 PM (#482314 - in reply to #482308)

Not sure which 12 string you had at CasaBobbo a couple years back but man that was one awesome sounding 12 string guitar.
AstroDan
Posted 2014-02-17 2:18 PM (#482315 - in reply to #482308)

Oh. My. God!
Why, oh why do I come in here?
That top HB is the Adamas of my dreams.

How do these wood-topped A's compare with a "standard" A?
Sound, playability, timbre, depth etc?
d'ovation
Posted 2014-02-17 3:38 PM (#482317 - in reply to #482308)

This sure is a group of beauties. But I would also like to ask an ignoramus question ... was it not the purpose of the Elite line to be a wood-topped Adamas? So I don't really get the point of the WT series, though am wondering if features like suspension ring and other details makes them more like an Adamas or more of a Super Elite on steroids... the lines blur....
dvd
Posted 2014-02-17 3:47 PM (#482319 - in reply to #482308)

Yes, the suspension ring and hand-laid bowl would probably be the biggest distinctions that affect the sound. Also the satin-finish and the Adamas-style bridge. Definitely beauties! I'm drooling over the honey burst one!

Edited by dvd 2014-02-17 3:50 PM
Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-17 4:20 PM (#482320 - in reply to #482308)

The Elite was an Ovation guitar in every sense exact that they punched a bunch of holes in the top to mimic the Adamas. It gave a different sound and a different look compared to the traditional Ovation center hole guitars of the day. At the time it was actually called the "Super Legend" or "Wood Top Adamas" But its DNA was Ovation.

The current Adamas Woodtop guitars start from a different angle. They start with everything that is Adamas but simply substitute the wood/graphite sandwich top for a solid wooden top. Indeed the lines do blur. I imagine of you wanted to you could custom order an Elite and have it built with the Adamas features and make it pretty much the same guitar.
Patch
Posted 2014-02-17 4:36 PM (#482321 - in reply to #482308)
Subject: RE: FS: ADAMAS WOODTOP GUITAR COLLECTION

I dunno what you're chasing Dave, but it must be something absolutely phenomenal? Man you've had some top-shelf stuff for sale recently.

I'd take that nutmeg one in half a second if I could!

It's gonna cause a pang or two to watch these slip by......You'll probably miss them a bit too.
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-02-17 5:14 PM (#482324 - in reply to #482308)

Wow, what a set. I just bought a lotto ticket.
stonebobbo
Posted 2014-02-17 8:13 PM (#482327 - in reply to #482308)

I remember that 12 string ... it was indeed in residence at CasaBobbo when you were there T28. I remember SO playing Kashmir on it with Cliff giving Robert Plant a run for his money. WOW doesn't do it justice.
Designzilla
Posted 2014-02-17 10:56 PM (#482331 - in reply to #482308)

Wow, Just F'king WOW.
Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-18 7:05 AM (#482339 - in reply to #482327)

stonebobbo - 2014-02-17 7:13 PM

I remember that 12 string ... it was indeed in residence at CasaBobbo when you were there T28. I remember SO playing Kashmir on it with Cliff giving Robert Plant a run for his money. WOW doesn't do it justice.

Yeah, that's the one. This 12-string is not for the faint of heart ...
SillyLittleBoy
Posted 2014-02-18 7:14 AM (#482340 - in reply to #482308)

Dang... I didn't realize becoming a member of this group would be so painful. I'm most definitely not ready for my first Adamas just yet... I'm kind of slowly venturing back into it after a bit of a lull in my playing. Until my most recent purchase of a really sweet 2001-year, USA-made, Legend 1867, I'm afraid my vintage Legend 1651 sat in the corner of my bedroom much more often than it did cradled in my lap. BUT... somewhere between getting the newer Legend, finding an older one that needs refurbished, joining this group, and finally... buying my first multi-sound holed Ovation Elite, well... I've been playing pretty much all night EVERY night for the last several months and when I'm not playing, all I can think about is getting home and playing.

After I enjoy my first Elite for a bit, I think I'll have to find a local authorized Ovation dealer and maybe pick up one of these Adamas guitars and find out what all the fuss is about, which is not to say that they're aren't already pretty darned appealing by virtue of their pedigree, their looks, and what my imagination has them sounding like.

I have to wonder too, as someone else asked, WHY? It sounds like you've been parting with some of your finest babies of late, so I hope it's in pursuit of your ultimate dream and not due to any hardships or tradgedies or other less desireable reason.

Good Luck with selling those babies, though I doubt you'll have too much trouble finding plenty of interested parties and I'm sure one of them will "find a way" to come up with those asking prices.

Now you'll all have to excuse me while I go lay on the bathroom floor with my head in the toilet, cause these babies are SICK... and I think I caught their disease!
cliff
Posted 2014-02-18 8:43 AM (#482346 - in reply to #482308)

That 12-String is KILLER!!
One of th'Best(if not THE Best) 12's I've heard Heard/Played!
Would LOVE t'Grab-it for Gigs, . . . but Alas . . .
I think yer f@ckin'Nuts Dave for selling it, but g'Luck with th'Sale!
Phil Wong
Posted 2014-02-18 11:37 AM (#482349 - in reply to #482346)

cliff d. - 2014-02-18 8:43 AM

That 12-String is KILLER!!
One of th'Best(if not THE Best) 12's I've heard Heard/Played!
Would LOVE t'Grab-it for Gigs, . . . but Alas . . .
I think yer f@ckin'Nuts Dave for selling it, but g'Luck with th'Sale!

+1 What Cliff posted. But possibly being f@ckin'Nuts never stopped Dave before..
alpep
Posted 2014-02-18 11:49 AM (#482351 - in reply to #482308)

the 12 string is unbelieveable
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-02-18 6:34 PM (#482386 - in reply to #482308)

This whole thread is a GAS GAS GAS!
Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-20 4:25 PM (#482441 - in reply to #482340)

SillyLittleBoy - 2014-02-18 6:14 AM

I have to wonder too, as someone else asked, WHY? It sounds like you've been parting with some of your finest babies of late, so I hope it's in pursuit of your ultimate dream and not due to any hardships or tradgedies or other less desireable reason.

Thanks for the concern. No hardships here ... at least as far as I know.

Yes I have parted with a few nice instruments lately. But I'm certainly not without a few to still enjoy and have picked up some recent ones that don't get much talk here because they are not roundbacks. On balance I am more that adequately blessed, and more than grateful, to have what I have.

No matter if you think of them as tools, or think of them as art ... In the end they are just guitars.

WillaMuse
Posted 2014-02-21 4:22 PM (#482482 - in reply to #482308)

<p>I love the 1681. One of my favorites. I love them all.  Arrrgggh.  Good luck with your sale!  I can hold onto them for you if you like ...</p><p> </p><p> Willa</p>

Edited by WillaMuse 2014-02-21 4:24 PM
Damon67
Posted 2014-02-21 4:55 PM (#482484 - in reply to #482308)

There was a time where I could argue with anyone that I have the greatest wood-topped Ovation 12 string on the planet.

I don't know that I can make that argument anymore with confidence. I'll have to put an "*" by it

*Does not include wood-topped Adamas

Dave, if I can get someone to by my Custom 12 for $3200, you'll have a buyer!
Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-21 5:03 PM (#482486 - in reply to #482308)

Hey Damon, EVERYONE should think their guitar is the best on the planet !!!
stellarjim
Posted 2014-02-22 10:18 AM (#482497 - in reply to #482308)

Hi Dave:
Can you tell me a little bit about the Vintage Natural finish on the 12 string? It appears from the photos to be opaque brown. Am I seeing this accurately or are you able to see the wood grain through this finish?
Standingovation
Posted 2014-02-22 4:25 PM (#482503 - in reply to #482308)

The finish is ALMOST opaque. You can see VERY faint evidence of the grain under certain lighting. But for all practical purposes you could just call it opaque and nobody would question you.
SillyLittleBoy
Posted 2014-02-22 11:59 PM (#482507 - in reply to #482308)

Right on, StandingO - everyone should think and believe that their guitar IS the WORLD'S BEST GUITAR, because it is... the world's best guitar for them right now. I know my new Elite 1868 is the WORLD'S BEST GUITAR for me right now.

FYI - Parts of my reply here involves the same users, but one additional thread (1617-1 Legend). So, thanks for sharing GAS or what the A and S stand for, since I knew what it meant and what the G stood for, though I do think that replacing Guitar with Gear can insure even greater obsessive acquisitional endeavors.

Some of you long time members might get a kick out of this from me, the SillyLittleBoy newbie (I mean, what is age? Cause I'm not like into time, man) - I just figured out what OHSC stands for... I got the O right away, cause I noticed it was listed in the description for a lot of older Ovations, so I though... "Original" and for a few minutes (okay... weeks) I thought it had something to do with the electronics....maybe? Then one day it just clicked, OOOOOO.... "Original Hard Shell Case," duh!

Oh and Tony, that's not bragging, dude... that's awesome and if I had that collection of guitars, I'd most definitely be desireth of speaking about it in places where doing so would not put my home at risk for a home invasion. I'm not sure why I never got GAS before, but it would seem that I've been like some gypsy musician or a travelling minstrel or balladeer (if you will) with room for only one axe on his back. I often wish I still had a few of the blades I've played and traded over the years.

Ironically right now with my Ovation acoustics acquisition obsession (loved the Ovation acoustics since the first time I saw someone play one)... the one guitar from my past I kind of wish I still had is actually a vintage Matrix 1837 12-string that I thought was a cheap Ovation knock-off and it wasn't until years into this thing called "The Internet" that Ovation's own website revealed to me it's pedigree. So, I guess you could say that was my first Ovation and I didn't even know it WAS one, though I was drawn to it's pretensions of such. It would just be an interesting vintage piece of more sentimental and variation of models type than true value. I think someone once said when asked about price of an Ovation, "It's worth what someone who wants it bad enough will pay for it."

I've begun a slow but steady obsessive pursuit that appears to be picking up GAS as I gather more gear, which does include a couple of keyboards on a stacked stand, a Casio CTK700 that was given to me by a good friend who never used it (like new) and a vintage Technics PCM Synth SX-KN470 that I traded some cheap (but good) one-channel tube mic preamp and a couple of cheap mics to some guy who answered my Craig's List ad trying to see the pre-amp for like $40. Then I found the 2001 USA-made Legend 1867 (black) at a pawn shop and it was in PRIMO condition. I read the marked price wrong, so ended up negotiating a great price cause I was low balling him based on what I thought said $425 when it was actually $475. I got it for $425 - no case.

Well, since my 1867 Legend ssb acquisition last fall, I've now gotten my first Elite - a 1991 year 1868 model sunburst that is in excellent shape and is THE WORLD'S BEST GUITAR for me... right now. It was just delivered from a shop down in Florida last Thursday and I've already got my sights on a vintage Pacemaker 1615 12-string for only $200 with only finish cracks according to the description, which also mentions that it comes with OHSC, but I think I've got some spray that'll clear that right up.

Of course I do have to blame most of you here in this group, because listening to you, checking out your fine collections and specific guitars AND your very helpful nature with imparting the wisdom of Ovation that you've acquired over the years, well... it's only putting GAS on my GAS or firing up my GAS or something like that.

So.. THANKS!

Edited by SillyLittleBoy 2014-02-23 12:03 AM
Standingovation
Posted 2014-03-24 9:40 PM (#483427 - in reply to #482308)

The 12-String is SOLD. Thanks
DetlefMichel
Posted 2014-04-01 9:38 AM (#484670 - in reply to #482308)

Is the wonderful 1681 still available?
DetlefMichel
Posted 2014-04-01 9:45 AM (#484671 - in reply to #482308)

...and if so, do you send to Germany? Do you accept paypal?
Standingovation
Posted 2014-04-02 7:25 AM (#484695 - in reply to #482308)

Yes, the 1681 is available. Please check your PM for details. THANKS
Standingovation
Posted 2014-04-09 9:54 PM (#485017 - in reply to #482308)

The 1681WT 6-string and the 2085 12-string are both SOLD.
2081 cutaway 6-string is still available.

THANKS
DetlefMichel
Posted 2014-04-17 10:47 AM (#485225 - in reply to #482308)

I am the *PROUD* owner of the gorgeous 1681 WT now and I must say that the whole transaction was perfect, thank you for all.
I already have 2 Adamii but the woodtop model sounds completely different, very smooth, not so aggressive and ridiculously easy to play. The sound projection of this guitar makes you believe that the notes appear not inside but shortly on front of the guitar, amazing. I wish I had the chance to play the 12string one day...
Greetings from Germany.
Standingovation
Posted 2014-04-17 11:13 AM (#485226 - in reply to #482308)

OK folks, let's make a deal on the cutaway and close this thread once and for all !!!

$2399. + S/H. Email or PM me and let's get this done.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2014-04-24 12:51 PM (#485650 - in reply to #482315)

AstroDan - 2014-02-17 2:18 PM

Oh. My. God!
Why, oh why do I come in here?
That top HB is the Adamas of my dreams.

How do these wood-topped A's compare with a "standard" A?
Sound, playability, timbre, depth etc?

I needed 7 breaths to decide, now the 1681 WT is mine.Now I can answer your questions.
I have an Adamas 2081 and an Adamas 1688 12string to compare, but the nearest model concerning construction is the 1718 Elite.
The carbon top Adamas has more power, more bass but must be played with concentration, if you play too hard, the guitar gets..I don´t know how to say..angry, like bad solidstate overdrive.
Both of them do so.
The Elite and the WT feel and play like any Ovation woodtop-guitar, with little lower power but more dynamics towards the high end.
The WT has a very unique sound. Imagine the tone itself not coming from inside the bowl but from shortly outside the soundports. Take the Elite and add more midrange, cut a little high frequencies and turn up gain about 10%, that´s the WT. The single Notes are very smooth and clear like a piano, the lack of basses is no problem, because the voice of the instrument all in all is nicely balanced, and you can easily emphasize single notes within playing along.
It´s not love at first play, I had to approach the guitar slowly to value the great potential.
Worth every penny!

The only thing I have to complain about both of my newer Adamas ist the flat neck angle.The older models have a slight negative neck angle and thus the string pressure on the bridge is higher and the dynamics of the instrument is much better. Is is a great difference between a string angle of 45 degrees or 20.
The second is that in so many Ovation guitars the drilling hole for the pickup cable is very big and sometimes halfsize under the contact point of the low E string, so was it on the WT guitar and the 2081.The fix: Remove the plastic shims and build a complete exact matching shim of the top-wood, then drilling a smaller hole just exact like the cables.The response of the low E was absolutely better after that, but this should not be my business but the one of the guitar builder, I think.
Anyway, my Ovation guitars are highly appreciated implements for my musical expression and if not the best, the best playable guitars of all times.
I had quite a number of them, some sold time after time...I should have kept them all.
Standingovation
Posted 2014-04-25 7:28 AM (#485702 - in reply to #482308)

Glad you like the guitar !!! I had no doubts that you would.

The WT Adamas is a very unique instrument. Not quite a typical wood top guitar and not quite a carbon topped adamas guitar. I guess with the recent Fender announcements we will not see many more of these and the WT Adamas will go down as a wonderful and unique product that was a fleeting moment in Ovations history. Glad this one ended up in good hands.

Interesting info about the PU hole in the bridge. I never considered such a thing but it makes perfect sense how this would effect the tonality. Thanks for sharing that great tip. On the string break angle I am in total agreement with you. Unfortunately this is pretty common on Ovations and in part due to the string through bridge design which by its very nature forces the string to a straighter angle with the saddle. The carved Adamas bridge is even worse. Most Ovation fans don't want to hear it, but this is the very reason that pinned bridges are superior and used on virtually every top end guitar. I was glad to see Ovation finally go with a pinned pridge on the LT-60.

Any, I do hope that this WT Adamas brings you much joy !!!!
DetlefMichel
Posted 2014-04-26 6:03 AM (#485790 - in reply to #482308)

Any experience with the LT 60? Looks phantastic. Every now and then there´s one one ebay...but no model to test in Germany.Ok, I didn´t test the WT either...
Damon67
Posted 2014-04-26 4:19 PM (#485818 - in reply to #482308)

I don't understand how bridge pins can help with the Ovation saddle as is. Like lipstick on a pig. Pins with a nice bone saddle, now I can see that making a difference.

But, i haven't tried one so I'm just speculating.

I do know I like the pinned Taks over the non-pinned ones.
Standingovation
Posted 2014-04-26 5:13 PM (#485824 - in reply to #485818)

It's simple geometry ... No Ovation string through bridge can do THIS:

This kind of break angle puts a tremendous downwards force on the saddle and efficiently transmits the string vibrations to the guitar top. This example photo happens to be a Collings. Hmmm ... think maybe the break angle has a little bit to do with how it sounds?

Contrast that to a typical Ovation with very shallow break angle, so less pressure on the saddle. Couple that with the fact that 97% likely it's an acoustic electric with the saddles bedded in silicone and sitting on plastic shims and you start to wonder how does any vibration get to the soundboard at all. Throw in a Celebrity plywood top and, well ... the whole thing just goes to hell.

Not trying to disrespect Ovation, and there is a LOT more to a great guitar than just break angle. But certain aspects of geometry and physics are simply not debatable.

Edited by Standingovation 2014-04-26 5:16 PM
moody, p.i.
Posted 2014-04-26 7:30 PM (#485835 - in reply to #482308)

Ovations were designed as a working man's guitar, for the guy with the gig. Changing a string easily was probably a priority. What's amazing to me is how well Ovations (and Adamii) do work with the shallow angle......
d'ovation
Posted 2014-04-26 7:37 PM (#485837 - in reply to #485824)

Standingovation - 2014-04-26 5:13 PM

It's simple geometry ... No Ovation string through bridge can do THIS:

This kind of break angle puts a tremendous downwards force on the saddle and efficiently transmits the string vibrations to the guitar top.

I am not an engineer or physicist, but a picture alone does nothing to convince me that a "break angle" has anything to do with force exerted on the saddle. If the string behaved like a spring, it would actually tend to straighten out more at higher angles and exert LESS force on the saddle and particularly would be more lose at the nut! Do you have any references to substantiate your assertions?
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2014-04-26 7:55 PM (#485838 - in reply to #485837)

I've always wondered about that myself. While the break angle does put more downward pressure on the saddle, the ball end underneath the bridge is putting tremendous UPWARD pressure on the bridge. I would think the two would cancel each other out. Don't know because I'm not an engineer or physicist either so maybe I'm wrong.
Damon67
Posted 2014-04-26 8:05 PM (#485839 - in reply to #482308)

I guess my point isn't about the break angle, it's about the fact that the saddles are still plastic, sitting on top of gushy silicone type stuff. I think it would have made a more significant impact had they changed the saddle and done a more traditional piezo style under saddle pickup.
d'ovation
Posted 2014-04-26 8:24 PM (#485840 - in reply to #485838)

CanterburyStrings - 2014-04-26 7:55 PM

the ball end underneath the bridge is putting tremendous UPWARD pressure on the bridge.

Well the ball end also goes through the soundboard, so there would actually be less pressure on the bridge than with an ovation where bridge has to take ALL the pull, and therefore we see the detached O bridge (which I had to experience myself). The myth really is that the acute angle causes more contact between the string and the saddle which then results in more effective transmission of vibrations and more resonance of the soundboard.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-04-26 9:07 PM (#485844 - in reply to #482308)

Wow... And we have been fooled by Ovation all of this time?

I don't like bridge pins because I have had them pop-out on me.
(I understand that is my own fault for poor installation)
Standingovation
Posted 2014-04-26 9:55 PM (#485846 - in reply to #485837)

merlin666 - 2014-04-26 6:37 PM
I am not an engineer or physicist, but a picture alone does nothing to convince me

Well said.

merlin666 - 2014-04-26 6:37 PM
Do you have any references to substantiate your assertions?

Approximately F^2 = 2(w^2)cos(180-a)+2(w^2)

where:
F = the downward force on the saddle (which also equals the upward force causing the deflection)
w = string tension
a = break angle, where 0 equals no break

w (tension) is actually a nasty little equation which includes string gauge. For for all practical purposes you can use the equation above and be pretty darn close.

As an example, here's a break angle of 20 degrees. The force F (the vector going upwards and to the left) is 34Kg

Here's a break angle of 45 degrees. You can see that the force F is now 76Kg

Again, there is a LOT more to a guitar than break angle. But it would be hard to argue that steeper isn't better (within reason). As always, that's just my opinion and everyone is welcome to have theirs.

Dave

Edited by Standingovation 2014-04-26 10:05 PM
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-04-26 10:09 PM (#485848 - in reply to #482308)

The issue as I see it (struggling to remember Physics A01 from 1978) is that beyond a certain amount of force which is needed to make good contact, more is unnecessary. For a string to have poor connection with the bridge it would almost jump off the saddle while vibrating. As long as the break angle exerts enough force to keep the downward pressure high enough during an attempted jump, I would expect no difference at higher pressures.

One way to test this would be to press down on top of the string, directly above the saddle, with a hard object like a screwdriver and see if the tone/pickup response improves.
Tony Calman
Posted 2014-04-26 10:19 PM (#485849 - in reply to #482308)

Could always use dict tape over the saddle, replace the shims, or go to mediums...ignore anything I said if you like how your Ovation plays (I do).
Standingovation
Posted 2014-04-27 6:59 AM (#485856 - in reply to #482308)

Tony sums it up well: No need to defend your guitars sound, looks, playability, price, etc. to anyone other than yourself.
Patch
Posted 2014-04-27 7:46 AM (#485857 - in reply to #482308)

Hm, this thread didn't take a hard left so much as a complete u-turn eh?

Similar to what Dave said, break angle to me is just another one of those countless details that CONTIBUTE to the overall tone of the guitar. It's neither worse nor better, just different.

Years back on another forum, I explained that to me, the materials for the bowls on Ovations are yet another variation of hard, dense, sonically-appropriate material for the soundboard to bounce soundwaves off of; which is the exact same function as any other soundwood used in backs. And just like personal preferences in any brand for using rosewood, mahogany, etc., some people like the tone and others don't.

I can appreciate that break angle makes a difference, although sometimes I wish I didn't. If all these design aspects led to guitars that all sounded the same, I wouldn't own so many guitars, my checking account would probably look somewhat more robust, and my wife wouldn't roll here eyes in such a patient, resigned fashion every time she caught me looking at for sale ads online.

FlySig
Posted 2014-04-27 8:51 AM (#485860 - in reply to #482308)

Regardless of break angle, the string tension creates torque within the bridge structure. This torque creates a downforce on the front of the bridge and an upforce on the rear of the bridge. The top of the saddle becomes the fulcrum point as far as the string forces are concerned, with the height of the saddle from the bottom of the bridge becoming the lever arm.

Strings vibrate in 3 dimensions. Up, down, sideways, and length (tension). There is energy in the waves of vibration, all of which must be absorbed either by the air or by the guitar structure. If by the air, the energy becomes sound. If by the guitar, it becomes mechanical vibrations which either move air or are absorbed within the material of the guitar (becoming heat?). Ergo, the sound depends on the efficiency of the body of the guitar, not on the attachment method of the strings to the guitar.

I think there is a very complex mechanical system at play with the bridge, saddle, strings, materials, and geometry all involved in transmitting vibrational energy to the guitar top.

Might a taller saddle, regardless of break angle, create a longer lever arm to transmit energy to the top? Might the perceived difference in tone with a taller saddle be a result of installing a taller saddle, not the result of the change in break angle?

What if the strings were attache to the top of a bridge with only a screw driven tightly down through the ball end? Thus there would be zero break angle, yet the firm attachment of the string would result in all the vibrational energy being transmitted through the bridge to the top of the guitar.

Having played one of the Wood Top Adamas cutaway guitars at the roadshow a few years ago, it seemed that the engineers at the factory calculated the right vectors and masses to come up with a GREAT guitar! It was the ultimate wood topped O/A in terms of tone, playability, and craftsmanship.

Edited by FlySig 2014-04-27 8:54 AM
nerdydave
Posted 2014-04-27 9:46 AM (#485863 - in reply to #482308)

Wow! This nerd is lost and baffled by all of this! Although it is interesting. All I know is that my Ovations and my Adamas sound as good or better than any guitar I have ever played. And then there is the astounding playability and those killer looks!! Not to mention the sex appeal!!
Standingovation
Posted 2014-04-27 11:17 AM (#485867 - in reply to #485857)

patchmcg - 2014-04-27 6:46 AM

Hm, this thread didn't take a hard left so much as a complete u-turn eh?

How's THIS for bringing the thread back on track ...

All three guitars are now SOLD !!! Thanks to the three buyers who have not only obtained great guitars (sniff, sniff) but I think also a piece of Ovation history.

Donation is on the way to the OFC site owners. This thread can be closed. THANKS
Patch
Posted 2014-04-27 11:37 AM (#485868 - in reply to #482308)

Congrats to all the new owners!

Condolences to Dave.

elginacres
Posted 2014-04-27 3:48 PM (#485875 - in reply to #482308)

The 12 stringer is stunning