WTB a rugged Travel Guitar
PeterD
Posted 2013-11-19 6:15 PM (#480014)
Subject: WTB a rugged Travel Guitar

I'd like to find a fairly indistructable guitar that i can carry onto a plane.  While traveling around this past six months i realized it would be nice to have something i could take with me and pull out when i wanted.  I had seen the Traveler Speedster Hot Rod Guitar at a Guitar Center several months before which looked interesting: very small, rugged and can plug in a headphone.  But later on the internet i found other possibilities: Steinberger (Spirit, Lotus, and other$$$!),  Hohner (G2, G3T), Kramer Duke Series.  I don't think i can find the double ball end strings here in Taiwan, so any Steinberger style guitar would need to have the modification that will use single ball end strings.

But before i had to come back to Taiwan, i couldn't find any on ebay or Craigslist that were $100-300 and close enough for me to check out before I buy. Then i realized that while it isn't an O, i can ask here and be able to trust you all to give me suggestions and to offer me something decent.  

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2013-11-19 6:29 PM (#480015 - in reply to #480014)
Subject: Re: WTB a rugged Travel Guitar

I use a traveler pro. Works well for me.
FlySig
Posted 2013-11-19 7:29 PM (#480017 - in reply to #480014)

There is an adapter for the hohner g3t to use regular strings. While I do not have the adapter I do have the guitar. It is a solid instrument, not only suitable for travel but it is gig worthy. There is a hard case available for it, too, though I just use the padded soft case for mine without any problems. One very nice feature is that it is a normal scale fretboard, so you don't have to play it differently.

The strings last forever on that guitar for some reason. They don't seem to get dull sounding nearly as quickly as other electrics. I have no idea why.

The strings you'll want are D'Addario ESXL120 which are .009 - .042, or D'Addario ESXL110 which are .010 - .046. Search on those and see if they are available locally for you. The Hohner uses the same exact strings as the Steinberger guitars.
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-11-20 4:36 PM (#480028 - in reply to #480014)

I have a Traveler Escape Mark II. I love it. Looking at their website, they've listened to me - the Mark III has a 1/8" headphone output (rather than the 1/4", so you can use normal earbuds) and a built in tuner. Tick. Tick. That's fixed my only two complaints.
Carl in LA
Posted 2013-11-20 5:55 PM (#480030 - in reply to #480014)

I use a Martin LXK strung with Rhorbacher titanium strings. Durable as hell made from that semi formica material and the titainium strings have been on there for a couple of years and still sound fine. The guitar and its soft case Just barely fit in airline overhead storage (if you board first).

Who could complain - it's got scalloped bracing and everything!

Had it on the boat for years as the size was a good fit for sailboat interiors...

Quality of sound? Well... the LX series does best on songs that you would ordinarily use a capo - but you dont need a capo... just play in open tune and the songs sound fine.... else... well... hey, its durable!!!