Just got hooked on Ovation. I GET IT NOW!!
sonicpictures
Posted 2013-03-05 3:42 PM (#468043)
Subject: Just got hooked on Ovation. I GET IT NOW!!

Hello everyone,

I'd just like to say hello and pose a couple of questions for the knowledgeable group of O players on this board. After playing so many different types of guitars over my playing career (mostly as a bassist, I own 4 different Fender Jazz Basses), I had to purchase a new acoustic electric guitar for a duo I'm starting to play with in paying gigs over the summer. I've owned a bunch of dreadnaught style acoustics over the years, mainly just for composing and for fun, so I've never owned a serious performance acoustic/electric.

I've played in groups before where the guitarists were playing USA made Ovations from the 70s and 80s and really dug their sound, but like a lot of people the bowl design turned me off at first. This weekend in a pawn shop I was able to score a Celebrity CC24 with SKB hard case for $225 out the door. I replaced the strings, cleaned the fretboard, removed two shims from under the saddle and made a minor truss rod adjustment and now it sings. I'm officially hooked on Ovation. Even for being a Korean made instrument, it plays better than a lot of Taylors and Martins I've played in my lifetime.

I think I'll be buying many more Ovations in the future. I'm now heavily interested in both the older solidbody electrics as well as basses. I've done a bit of research but I really dig the look of the UK series. My usual electric guitars have been either Les Pauls, Flying Vs, or the occasional strat. How do the Ovation solidbodies compare in terms of durability, tone, neck quickness, etc? I do a wide range of styles, everything from jazz fusion to big band to Chicago blues to punk and metal. I know with a good LP it will be usable for every playing style I throw at it (i.e, clean strumming, to extremely high gain staccato picking, 1/32 notes at 160bpm, etc,) One of the thing that I like so much about the look of the Ovation solidbodies I've seen is that it's not the usual fare. It has a distinct look that I find particularly appealing, while others might not.

Also, I do plan on upgrading from the CC24 when I get a bit more scratch. Should I look for an older USA O from the 70s/80s or would it be perfectly acceptable to go with a newer USA made? Has the quality control remained consistent throughout the years or has it varied as much as Gibson, Fender, etc?

Would anyone care to weigh in?

Thanks everyone. I think I've found my new favorite forum.

Regards,
Nick
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2013-03-05 4:18 PM (#468050 - in reply to #468043)
Subject: RE: Just got hooked on Ovation. I GET IT NOW!!

Welcome Nick. And congrats for stepping on the slippery slope. You're doomed.

But in a good way.

Hang tight until a mod comes along to grant access to the rest fo the site. Then post pictures of your new guitar and ask the same questions in the General forum. I bought a new a Celeb back in the 80's, and the Ovation illness has only compounded over the years. Hope to see you around the board.
Damon67
Posted 2013-03-05 4:21 PM (#468051 - in reply to #468043)
Subject: Re: Just got hooked on Ovation. I GET IT NOW!!

Welcome,

I can't speak to that Celebrity much, but my acoustic guitar story is pretty similar. I didn't go into the store looking for an Ovation, but once I played one vs the wood boxes in the store, the Ovation just felt right, specifically on the neck.

This was important to me because really I was an electric player, which brings us to the second part of your question. It just so happens that I started off playing Ovation electrics when I was 14. I bought a Preacher and quickly upgraded to the UKII. A year or so later I bought a Gibson Flying V which would remain my 'gigging' axe through the thrash years. Since Ovation wasn't an option anymore, I continued on the Gibson path with a Custom Shop Explorer a couple years after that. These choices were driven mostly by the style of music I was involved in.

You can ask anyone who knew me at the time, there was NOTHING as awesome as my UKII, neither Gibby could hold a candle to it. I didn't have the scratch for a Les Paul back then, but I had plenty of access to playing them. With my UKII I could never come up with a good enough reason to buy a Paul.

30 years and 100+ guitars later, the UKII is still #1

Feel free to post about the site. You now have full access
Damon67
Posted 2013-03-05 4:22 PM (#468052 - in reply to #468043)

oh, third part. I like old Os for sittin' around and strumming acoustically, and new Os for giggin.
sonicpictures
Posted 2013-03-05 4:33 PM (#468053 - in reply to #468043)

Damon, your signature made me smile more than anything else all day. I hope you don't mind if I steal it for everyday conversation. That question comes up quite often for me.
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-03-05 8:26 PM (#468060 - in reply to #468043)

Welcome Nick, Hope you stay around and join the madness. The more Ovations I try, the more I want.
muzza
Posted 2013-03-06 6:29 AM (#468071 - in reply to #468043)
Subject: RE: Just got hooked on Ovation. I GET IT NOW!!

sonicpictures - 2013-03-06 6:42 AM Even for being a Korean made instrument, it plays better than a lot of Taylors and Martins I've played in my lifetime.

With statements like that you're going to be made to feel VERY welcome here...

sonicpictures - 2013-03-06 6:42 AM I think I'll be buying many more Ovations in the future.

Yep! You definitely fit the mould. And if you're an Old Fart, then you've found your Nirvana.

sonicpictures
Posted 2013-03-21 3:22 PM (#468626 - in reply to #468043)

I'm actually just now pushing 30. I've been playing for 18 years, however. I prefer jamming with older players, personally. They actually understand the music fundamental that a rest can be as important or more so than a note. Younger players tend to want to fill up every single space in the tune. BB King is a prime example. That cat has more soul in one note or a bend than any of this technical wizardry shred stuff I hear from a lot of the kids.