New Owner of an Ovation Eclipse Serial # H 285
zadeer
Posted 2013-02-05 3:12 PM (#464943)
Subject: New Owner of an Ovation Eclipse Serial # H 285

Hey guys, I happened to stumble across an Ovation Eclipse last night on the local craigslist. I gave my Gibson SG to a friend for his son to continue playing, as he really loved the guitar and I was ready for something new. That was about a year ago, and I was on and off craigslist for a while without being able to find something unique, and something that I really wanted to own. I happened to remember that my uncle had a few Ovations back in NY, and had always mentioned that the old Ovations were beautiful guitars, so I popped in "Ovation" in the craigslist search and up popped this guy:

From the little bit of info scrounging I did last night, I figured this was the guitar for me. I missed out on a hollowbody Epiphone a while back, and I love the sound that comes from those style guitars, so I called the guy this morning. As it turns out, he was moving back east and decided it'd be better to sell it than trek it back with him. It's missing the pick guard, one knob, and the backplate, but other than that it's complete and in very good condition considering the age. I need to do some more scrounging on this site to look up the serial #, but I absolutely love this thing! Actually missed two classes because I've been playing it since I brought her home, I'm sure the professors will understand...

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and show her off, doesn't seem to be too many out and about! Any info/links/general knowledge would be greatly appreciated, and I hope to learn as much as possible from you guys!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-02-05 4:27 PM (#464948 - in reply to #464943)
Subject: Re: New Owner of an Ovation Eclipse Serial # H 285

I love these. It is my understanding that when the bodies (that were actually made in Germany) would come back for finish, sometimes they wouldn't be as pleasing so the idea of just putting bowl paint on them and standard pickups, and essentially selling them as the "economy" model was born. Personally I like these pickups better than the ones on the Thunderhead and Tornado. The finish is basically indestructible. What more could you want. I don't recall there being a "back plate" so I'd be curious about that unless you are talking about the cover over the back of the neck screws.

If you could measure the distance between the pickups from the center of the bottom pickup height adjustment screws, I may have a pickguard for sale for you. That one screw-to-screw measurement is all need to know if the ones I have fit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page