Newb - OP24 Preamp help!
floorcovering
Posted 2013-02-03 2:18 PM (#464885)
Subject: Newb - OP24 Preamp help!

I'm new here, and looking to find some help relating to my OP24 preamp in my recently acquired Ovation Legend 1756 12-string.

I've been trying to make an external power supply to run the preamp via a stereo (TRS) cable, as I don't really want to have to keep taking off my strings to replace the internal battery. I thought this would be easy, as I have basic understaning of electronics, and I know it works because my other Takamine 6 string powers it's preamp in this way (and there are other external power pedals eg X-Bat which do just this)
But I just can't get it work with the OP24. I seem to be able to get power to the preamp, but I 'm not getting any audio signal coming back.

Basically I'm send +9v to the ring which is then going to where the internal battery +9v goes to. But I'm confused about what to do with the grounds as there is a 0v rail on the PCB and a ground rail also on the PCB.

Maybe it just won't work, but I'd like to find a solution!

Many thanks for any light people can shed on this for me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-02-03 2:51 PM (#464886 - in reply to #464885)
Subject: Re: Newb - OP24 Preamp help!

The OP-24 is not wired for phantom power.
With the OP-24 preamp you may have to change the battery once a year.
You can just change the battery when you change the strings if you are concerned about losing power. Use a fresh alkaline battery and it should last a year.
(be sure to unplug the guitar when not in use)
Sending electricity in through the out door might fry electronics that are not designed for that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page