New member buying his first Ovation in Europe
Inty
Posted 2013-01-29 9:54 AM (#464699)
Subject: New member buying his first Ovation in Europe

Hello all! I am a student from Slovenia, who enjoys playing guitar more than just about anything else, but am pretty new to it, amd I am completely self taught, so I have a lot of gaps in knowledge that other players may think of as basic stuff, so I apologize for any silly questions in advance.

So here is my question. I have started playing guitar a couple of years back on a 40 year old guitar, that was a complete wreck, but I got it for free, and I started playing on it, so I have no complaints. After a couple of years I bought a Fender Mexican Strat, and have been loving it since. But one day while I was buying strings for my strat at the local guitar shop I noticed an Ovation hanging from the wall, and needless to say, I was stunned. I picked it up and fell in love with it immediately! It was a new Ovation 1777LX, with a price of 1650 euros (a bit more than 2000 dollars) and I decided to work more hours and try to save some more money, to be able to afford it one day. That was more than a year ago, but next month I'm planing on buying it.

At least I was until I read everything that you have written on this board about this guitar. I still love it, since I need a guitar that will last me a lifetime, sounds great plugged in or unplugged (am planing on giging with it aswell), and I play a mixture of styles (fingerpicking and strumming), but primarily rock music. But the only problem that I found was, that the asking price is ridiculously high compared to the prices that you are citing on this site. I realise that buying things in Europe automatically make things two times more expensive, but this guitar could be picked up in the states for four times less money, if I am not mistaken.

I am still willing to pay that much money for it (because I love it), but am wondering if you guys know of any other guitars like the LX (center hole, preferably black, with an equal gorgeous level and tonal quality), or some other retailer that could ship this guitar to Europe.

Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away Thank you for your responses in advance!

Gaber
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Inty
Posted 2013-01-29 10:00 AM (#464700 - in reply to #464699)
Subject: RE: New member buying his first Ovation in Europe

Oh, and here is the link to the guitar I'm planing on buying, sorry for the double post, couldn't find the edit button anywhere!

http://www.bam-music.com/sl/kitare-basi/elektro-akusti/ovation-el-a...
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-01-29 2:48 PM (#464716 - in reply to #464699)
Subject: Re: New member buying his first Ovation in Europe

Hi Inty, you'll need to check out the cost of import duties as well as shipping. The best bet is to look out for a friend who is travelling to the US and get them to carry one back for you.
Inty
Posted 2013-01-29 5:07 PM (#464720 - in reply to #464699)

I looked into that, but I prefer buying in the EU. So I compared the price of other guitars and other online european shops, and found that the prices in this store are on par or lower than others, but none of the others carry a 1777 LX. Since I am not an Ovation expert in any way, could one of you elaborate what is the difference between the 1777 LX and 2771 AX Standard Balladeer, besides the fact that the latter is manufactured in Korea? They have it in the same guitar store for almost a third of the price of the 1777. There's almost nothing on this site about the 2771.

http://www.bam-music.com/en/ovation-2771ax-5-el-ac-guitar.html?___f...

Is the LX really worth the extra 1300 dollars?
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-01-29 5:41 PM (#464721 - in reply to #464699)

Unless you give up playing guitar, the LX is worth it - you won't be thinking about the extra euros in 2 years time. Apart from a general higher quality, the LX has a different structure to the same model made in Asia. The LX necks are bolted, not glued - which may be handy if you need a neck reset in 20 years time. Also, the bridges on the LX are glued on, whereas the AX/TX bridges are bolted/screwed on. This suggests to me that the craftsmanship in the Asian factories is not high enough to ensure a glued on bridge stays glued on. Additionally, the LX necks have a newer truss rod arrangement which adjusts from the head, whereas the AX/TX necks use older technology and adjust from inside the body (they won't have a truss rod cover on the head).

Edited by TAFKAR 2013-01-29 5:42 PM
Inty
Posted 2013-01-30 3:35 AM (#464735 - in reply to #464699)

Okay, so I did some extensive research on the internet to find some more diferences. The wood on the fretboard and bridge is rosewood on the 2771 AX instead of ivory, and the bowl is a contour (which I would actually preffer) and the pickups are different, but the preamp is the same. I understand that the Korean guitars are of lower quality than the US made ones, but is the difference really that big, or is it a bit exaggerated? I have read all around and quite a few people think that it's not really that much of a difference, especially considering the cost difference.

Does anyone own a 2771, or has anyone on this forum played it? It's out of stock at my guitar store at the moment, so I can't try it myself. I'm particulary interested in the unplugged sound, since, it being an Ovation, it should sound great plugged in. I'm thinking the 1000 euros I save could go into buying a new amp or a Gibson Les Paul
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-01-30 4:38 AM (#464737 - in reply to #464735)

Inty - 2013-01-30 1:35 AM
I understand that the Korean guitars are of lower quality than the US made ones, but is the difference really that big, or is it a bit exaggerated? I have read all around and quite a few people think that it's not really that much of a difference, especially considering the cost difference.

I had a Korean Elite T 1778TX for a while.
It was a Nice sounding and playing guitar. Especially plugged-in.
I bought it because I could not find a USA Elite T 1778T (no "X").

I later found a USA 1778T and I bought that one too.
So I had two identical guitars... One USA, one Korean.

Acoustically the USA was MUCH better than the Korean... so I sold the TX.

BUT! The Korean Ovation was a NICE guitar.
So, standing alone the Korean Ovations are good guitar.
Unless you are side-by-side comparing them, a Korean Ovation might do you well.

Just be sure that you buy one that you can play in the local store...
or buy one with Free Return Shipping.
Inty
Posted 2013-01-30 5:10 AM (#464738 - in reply to #464699)

Okay, so I think that right now I'm going to go with the 2771 if it will sound HALF as good as the 1777. I also play at parties, so I wouldn't be as afraid of any potential damage, as I would with the LX. And if I'll love it, I'll probably upgrade to a new Ovation in a year or two, when I go to the states to visit a friend of mine. But a man has to play something till then! Thanks for your input and opinions, if anyone else has any other information on the 2771, or any argument for the LX please, don't be shy! I'm still not 100% decided and I have time until they get the 2771 in stock, but then I'm afraid, my patience will be at it's end, I NEED a new guitar!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-01-30 5:25 AM (#464739 - in reply to #464699)

You can always buy Used!
All of my USA Ovations are Used.
(Well... I have one that I bought New... Then Sold... Then bought it BACK)
So you could get something to hold you over until you visit the USA.
Then find a New or Used USA Ovation here...

As far a Center Hole Ovations go, I had a 1771LX and it was really nice.
Inty
Posted 2013-01-30 5:50 AM (#464740 - in reply to #464699)

While I would prefer the guitar to be new, I explored the option of buying an used Ovation and there really aren't any on the European market. In truth, I wasn't able to find the 1777 LX ANYWHERE, new or used, but at this one guitar shop (which just happens to be 30 minutes from where I live). And I really wouldn't be comfortable with importing it from the states, because it complicates matters with repairs and returns, and costs much much more. I guess Ovations aren't popular around these parts, what a shame.
Damon67
Posted 2013-01-30 3:23 PM (#464751 - in reply to #464699)

Inty, you have access to post throughout the site now. Welcome!
Inty
Posted 2013-01-31 7:10 AM (#464765 - in reply to #464699)

Thanks a lot for the access!

So I got an update. While the guitar store in my vicinity does sell the 2771, it's out of stock, and will be until March. Which for me is way too long, so I'm looking elsewhere. specifically at thomann.de, where they offer the guitar at a similar price, and have it in stock, and I have heard mostly good things about this store. So again I have no way to try the guitar first, but they do offer a 30 day return policy, so that's great. There's almost no information on this guitar anywhere on the internet, and I can't find anyone who owns one so he could give me his impressions. Oh well.
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-01-31 10:39 PM (#464799 - in reply to #464699)

Hi Inty, most people can't post in this section, so repost that question in the main forum, and you'll have a bigger audience.