Excited Newbie looking for Magnum IV info!
Mannishboy
Posted 2013-01-22 1:24 PM (#464443)
Subject: Excited Newbie looking for Magnum IV info!

Hello Fellow Ovation Enthusiasts!

Just a quick introduction... I'm a full-time, professional bassist of 35+ years, currently playing 6 (or more) gigs per week. Styles of music include pretty much everything, but metal (I will, on occasion, throw out "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath). Recently, I became the proud owner of an Ovation Magnum IV Bass.

I contacted Ovation and they steered me to your forum. I have a few questions and truly appreciate any information you can send my way.

1. What year is my bass? The serial number is B2757. Actually, any information that can be derived from the serial number would be helpful.

2. Does anyone have a schematic for the Magnum IV? I feel the graphic eq isn't working properly. I think it's been worked on before and somehow the frequencies are hooked up backwards (up is down, down is up). Also, what do you use to clean the sliders?

3. Where do I find parts? I'd love to find a bridge assembly with the lever-action mute (I know - Good luck!), or replacing the graphic eq "sliders".

4. Basically, any information you have about this unique, wonderful instrument! I'm eager to learn all I can, so if you have any tips, please, send them my way.

Thank you so much for creating such an informative forum!

Best Regards,

Jon Rochner
Ovation Newbie

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-01-23 2:25 AM (#464464 - in reply to #464443)
Subject: Re: Excited Newbie looking for Magnum IV info!

1. The Magnums IV was made between from '81 to '83 so that's about as close as you can get to year.

2. I have a Magnum II schematic which is essentially the same, but I doubt the 6 50K sliders are reversed as they are mounted directly to the circuit board, but anything is possible. I just broke out my Magnum II and the sliders move DOWN to increase the Bass, 400hz and Treble.

3. I could not have said it better myself.... "good luck".. Your best bet is eBay.. sometimes finding a trashed one to salvage for parts.

4. One of the best basses out a the time and still used by many. The pickups are pretty hard to beat.
Mannishboy
Posted 2013-01-28 4:44 AM (#464635 - in reply to #464464)

Thanks for your input! I truly appreciate it...

Perhaps the EQ just needs a good cleaning. What electronic cleaner/lube do you recommend? I'm just setting the EQ "flat" for now. No problem getting a wide variety of tones with just the pickup selector and picking-hand placement.

She's fairly heavy! My new Levy's Leather MSS2-4 strap (4 1/2" wide!) has found a home on the Magnum...

Thank you, once again, for the input!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-01-28 5:04 AM (#464636 - in reply to #464443)

Radio Shack sells a tuner cleaner that is of the NON-Residue kind. That should clean'em up. Also, new batteries help.