Greetings and newb question
Mint Condition
Posted 2013-01-22 11:01 AM (#464438)
Subject: Greetings and newb question

Hi all. I've enjoyed looking over some of these posts so far. I'm hoping you can help me with somethings.

I recently picked up an 1862 Custom Balladeer. I looked it up online and it looks like it's an '88. I like the look and it sounds pretty good. I admit I don't know much about guitars (yet) and even less about acoustic/electrics.

My big question is that I note that changing the battery is a pain (have to go in through the sound hole and work with a blind screw? For real?) , and the pre-amp doesn't have a tuner or other "modern conveniences". Also, the preamp seems to be a different shape than most Ovation PreAmps (it's a square FET-3, as opposed to the rounded ones). - Ok that wasn't a question... here it comes:

Is there a way to mod the guitar to make the battery accessible externally, and or to upgrade the pre-amp to one of the newer ones without destroying the guitar? Failing this, how often will I have to change the battery in the thing? I realize that it's only when I'm plugged in, but that could be several times a month at church.

I bought the guitar from Guitar Center and so have 30 days to return it if I'm not thrilled. But in my uninformed opinion, it was a pretty good value.

Any help is appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-01-22 1:34 PM (#464444 - in reply to #464438)
Subject: Re: Greetings and newb question

Is there a way to mod the guitar to make the battery accessible externally, and or to upgrade the pre-amp to one of the newer ones without destroying the guitar?
Yes, but it is a pain. The FET-3 is a good preamp. You can buy a tuner for not much money.

Failing this, how often will I have to change the battery in the thing?
About once a year, maybe. You can change the battery when you change strings.
Even if you rarely change strings, the battery will last longer than the strings.
Top of the page Bottom of the page