Way, way, way OT: Blind dates...??
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2009-01-10 7:04 AM (#434165)
Subject: Way, way, way OT: Blind dates...??

Well, it had to happen, sooner or later--my first blind date in over 30 years. (Or, at least it was supposed to, tonight--but the potential for 8" or so of snow may prelude the occasion.)
Have any of the rest of you suddenly found yourselves reliving those angst-filled moments you thought you'd left behind with the acne meds and yearbooks?
I have to tell you, this new development just seems so strange; it's a bit uncomfortable being "55 going on 21."
Any advise that a quiet, sometimes-godly grandma might safely consider? (Yes, I know, that will take all the fun out of it......) ;) :D
(Linus totes a blanket; I'm wondering which of the girls I should bring to cling to: Gertrude? Jewel? Hildie? Johanna? Rosa? Jazzey? ......... ;) )

--Karen
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-01-10 7:18 AM (#434166 - in reply to #434165)
Subject: Re: Way, way, way OT: Blind dates...??

The worst thing that is likely to happen is that you get rejected and end up exactly where you are now. Don't take that personally. The best thing is that you may strike up a great relationship. Relax, enjoy.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-01-10 7:21 AM (#434167 - in reply to #434165)

Isn't there scripture somewhere saying something like, "Man (hence woman also) should not be alone."?

Don't forget to tell him that he better behave because you have at least a couple hundred big brothers spread out all over the globe.
And if need be, They will find him.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-01-10 7:50 AM (#434168 - in reply to #434165)

p.s.
Make sure he's not a drummer.
and be home by 11 or else you'll be soooo grounded.
BT717
Posted 2009-01-10 7:57 AM (#434169 - in reply to #434165)

Karen,
We've never met,but I think I can safely say, Just be you and you'll be fine. :)
Paulcc1
Posted 2009-01-10 8:11 AM (#434170 - in reply to #434165)

Karen bring a hand gun shove it in his face ask him what his intentions are, if he falls to his knees and starts praying he's your man.
Pauly
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-01-10 8:26 AM (#434171 - in reply to #434165)

Enjoy those angst-filled and excited moments. We tend to forget or avoid them as we age but, they are signs that you're traveling a new route... enjoy the scenery.
G8r
Posted 2009-01-10 9:17 AM (#434172 - in reply to #434165)

After I divorced I tried the online matchmaking thing. Meeting these people was almost like a blind date. It was nerve-wracking the first couple of times, but then I realized that I really only needed to be myself. If we enjoyed spending time together, then great. And if not it's no big deal.

Like Brad said, you have several hundred big brothers around the world. Anybody you meet better behave.
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-10 9:52 AM (#434173 - in reply to #434165)

The only advice I can think of is..... Have Fun! It isn't like world peace hangs in the balance.
Weaser P
Posted 2009-01-10 10:01 AM (#434174 - in reply to #434165)

My 15 year old goes through pretty much the same thing weekly, Karen. I'll give her your number and you guys can talk it out but, like JW said, enjoy the rush that has been lying in wait.

(And Brad's right too - 11:00 period MISSY! And that makeup better not be messy either!! :D )
Beal
Posted 2009-01-10 10:33 AM (#434175 - in reply to #434165)

That sounds about right
no drummers
no taylors
bring a gun
be in by 11
good luck
Losov
Posted 2009-01-10 10:49 AM (#434176 - in reply to #434165)

Bring a pager. If you want to bail, make it go off, look at it, call the weather number on your cell and have a one sided conversation about some work related topic. Apologize and tell him you really have to leave.

That's what they always do to me.

cliff
Posted 2009-01-10 10:55 AM (#434177 - in reply to #434165)

Blind date??

Bring treats for his guide dog.
(you'll be in like Flynn . .)
Waskel
Posted 2009-01-10 11:02 AM (#434178 - in reply to #434165)

Read this.
Beal
Posted 2009-01-10 11:02 AM (#434179 - in reply to #434165)

Don't make jokes about the cane either
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-01-10 11:23 AM (#434180 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
p.s.
Make sure he's not a drummer.
and be home by 11 or else you'll be soooo grounded.
Brad,

Lets' cut her a little slack.. 11:15
schroeder
Posted 2009-01-10 11:56 AM (#434181 - in reply to #434165)

Like brad said - inform him politely that there is almost nowhere in the world he would be safe.... (heck - last week we signed up a cop from Brazil).

Other than that, enjoy yourself. You deserve it.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-01-10 12:11 PM (#434182 - in reply to #434165)

Karen, I have met you: the other half of the date has no idea how fortunate they are...I wish you only the best!

(ps: the V is on the home...)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-10 12:20 PM (#434183 - in reply to #434165)

Bring a picture of Moody and tell him you've had your p.i. check him out.
Somehow, we survived dating when we were young and stupid, so we must have done something right. Remember that men are like dogs, they bark because they're more scared than you are.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-10 12:34 PM (#434184 - in reply to #434165)

When my 17 year old daughter goes out with somebody new, I have to meet the young man. I carefully explain that he needs to bring her home at a reasonable time, that she needs to be in the same or better condition than she is right now, that he needs to hold doors open for her and be a gentleman.

I then explain that if the above conditions aren't met, I will hurt him very very badly. Lastly, I let him know that going back to prison for a good cause doesn't bother me very much.

That lecture, coupled with the knowledge of what I do for a living, usually suffices.

I've only had to hit one so far (probably the word of that getting around, helps also....)
cholloway
Posted 2009-01-10 12:48 PM (#434185 - in reply to #434165)

Make sure he watches AT LEAST the first 30 seconds of this and remembers that sound!

Have you got someone standing by with the escape phone call to your cell???
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-10 12:49 PM (#434186 - in reply to #434165)

I took my daughter and her boyfriend up skiing last Saturday. Nice kid, lousy skiier. I'm sure the story is going around that I tried to push him off a cliff, but if I had tried, I'd have succeeded. He's not a drummer, so he's OK. The other daughter's boyfriend, however, is a drummer and doesn't know how close he has come to death or serious injuries.
Damon67
Posted 2009-01-10 1:59 PM (#434187 - in reply to #434165)

Hang in there Karen. I've been doing the same sort of thing recently (online dating site). At first I was nervous, but now I've just relaxed a bit and looked at it as meeting new folks. I'm going to meet a gal next week over coffee and trivial pursuit. She seems to think she can beat the master.

Good luck, and have fun!
Posted 2009-01-10 2:02 PM (#434188 - in reply to #434165)

Whoa....hundreds of big brothers standing at the top of the stairs when I come in: "Where have you been, not-so-young lady??!! And who were you with??!!" (One night after Jack died, I was out with some girlfriends and came in just after 11; my 19-year-old son did that to me--a very funny turning of the tables...)

To address the few concerns:
1. I don't wear makeup. ;)
2. I "pumpkinize" at about 9:30 now, so I won't break curfew because I mostly can't stay up that late.... ;)
3. My one "pistol" is an antique derringer that hasn't been fired in about 100 years. It won't hurt him, but, even better, it won't hurt me, either! :D
4. Don't know any single guys who own (or will confess to owning) Taylors, or play drums. :eek:
5. Background check of the best kind--each week, I play bluegrass with his dad (who is about the age my dad would be.) :) (It was his dad's idea that we meet.......)

And..due to the inclement weather, dinner is now tomorrow night, the 12th, at 5--and we are meeting at his mom and dad's, whom I love to bits. (A nice comfy way to meet.) :cool:

I am taking all your suggestions under advisement...especially the dog biscuits, Cliff. Will keep you posted...I think. ;)

--Karen
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-01-10 2:04 PM (#434189 - in reply to #434165)

Karen, I've never done the blind date thing, but if a friend fixed you up, you can expect that you will have something in common. The best advice I can give is to be honest with him. If you like him, tell him you hope to see him again. If you don't like him, it won't hurt his feelings, OR your friend's to tell him "you're not ready for this after all". It won't make any differnce to tell you not to be nervous. You WILL be anyway. But like the guys said, enjoy being nervous in a good way, and remember that if you just be yourself, you will be fantastic. Good luck and have fun!
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-10 2:31 PM (#434190 - in reply to #434165)

Karen,

Having met and communicated with you, I think that you need no advice. You're a mature lady with a level head. You'll know early on how it's going to go. Caring for the parents is a nice start.

As for the 'fluttering', completely natural. My wish for you is that you still have butterflies AFTER the date! ;)
fillhixx
Posted 2009-01-10 2:37 PM (#434191 - in reply to #434165)

That's nice. You both go and have a good time.
I'll just sit here by the 'puter 'till you get back,
cleaning my gun.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-01-10 2:50 PM (#434192 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by Beal:
That sounds about right
no drummers
no taylors
bring a gun
be in by 11
good luck
And now for the non PC advice from your host...

I would also include Beal's tag line of "play it".

In the sense that if he's older than say... 25... kick him to the curb..
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-01-10 2:54 PM (#434193 - in reply to #434165)

Karen, I know this doesn't apply to you but I relly get a good laugh everytime I read them:

I have these copied and laminated for future use...lol

Ten Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter
Rule One:
If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.
Rule Two:
You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.
Rule Three:
I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose his compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.
Rule Four:
I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.
Rule Five:
It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early."
Rule Six:
I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.
Rule Seven:
As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?
Rule Eight:
The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.
Rule Nine:
Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me.
Rule Ten:
Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-01-10 3:11 PM (#434194 - in reply to #434165)

When I was a teenager I always had to bring the guy in to meet the folks before our date. During the course of conversation my Dad would always manage to mention something about a guy he heard about who hit his wife. Then he would look my date in the eye and say "Any so-called man who hits a woman doesn't deserve to live, and if I had been around, that guy wouldn't be alive anymore." Got his message across without accusation, and made his daughter love him even more!
alpep
Posted 2009-01-10 3:21 PM (#434195 - in reply to #434165)

I had one blind date.

"you have so much in common"
"she has such a beautiful face"

I found out these were "code words" for

"she is female and you are male"

and

"she is fat"
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-01-10 3:32 PM (#434196 - in reply to #434165)

The only thing really useful about "blind dates" is you find out how much whomever arranged it really DOESN'T KNOW about you.

It also helps if one of you on the date are actually blind.
Jack FFR1846
Posted 2009-01-10 3:48 PM (#434197 - in reply to #434165)

I've only ever been on one blind date.
My wife has also only ever been on one blind date.

We were both so traumatized by the blind date (yes, it was the 2 of us together) that to avoid ever having to go through it again, we got married.

(true story.....well sort of...the trauma was made up) :D

jack
Weaser P
Posted 2009-01-10 6:10 PM (#434198 - in reply to #434165)

:D
AussieJames
Posted 2009-01-10 6:22 PM (#434199 - in reply to #434165)

Karen, my partner Deb and I broke up in November (not my choice) after 8+ years.

The thought of possibly dating again has crossed my mind but certainly not filling me
with feelings of enthusiasm or excitement.

We are talking again and have had a couple of "dates" recently which have gone (I think) well.

Monday 12th is my birthday and Deb has invited me over for dinner so it may well be a significant evening for both of us.

Good luck!!

AJ
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-01-11 12:13 AM (#434200 - in reply to #434165)

Jim, I'm sorry to hear about that. Hope things go well for you tomorrow. I hope it turns out to be a truly happy birthday. Happy birthday anyway. Are you still going to Amelia Island, or is that off the cards now?

Karen, you'll do just fine. Any guy who ends up with you will be a lucky guy.
AussieJames
Posted 2009-01-11 12:44 AM (#434201 - in reply to #434165)

Richard, thanks for your good wishes.

I'm definitely going to Amelia, no way I am going to miss that.

AJ
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-01-11 12:59 AM (#434202 - in reply to #434165)

If you need someone to come around one night and help play some of your guitars, just let me know.
muzza
Posted 2009-01-11 4:27 AM (#434203 - in reply to #434165)

Hmmm. Jim, you said something rather catty about partners at Richard's OzOFC mkII. I didn't follow up on your comment, but I suspected something was amiss.

I hope you sort it out. I thought you made (make) a great couple.

And Kazza... just go and have fun with NO expectations - except to have fun, of course.

And also.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY AJ!
marenostrum
Posted 2009-01-11 8:54 AM (#434204 - in reply to #434165)

Happy Birthday AJ !!! Best of wishes for your randevouz.
and
Good luck Karen for you date !!
BT717
Posted 2009-01-11 9:56 AM (#434205 - in reply to #434165)

Happy B'day AJ!!!
Posted 2009-01-11 4:27 PM (#434206 - in reply to #434165)

Okay, all my protective big brothers;
Start lining up on the landing at the top of the stairs--the big day is now; I'm leaving as soon as I post this. (I meant to say the "11th" in my explanatory post, but hit "12th" instead.)
Am going guitarless (probably "incognito" is a better term.....)
Will notify you when safely home.
Love to all,

--Karen
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-01-11 4:42 PM (#434207 - in reply to #434165)

We'll leave the porch light ON.

Remember 11:15.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-11 5:08 PM (#434208 - in reply to #434165)

Posted 2009-01-11 10:07 PM (#434209 - in reply to #434165)

It's 9:59, and I'm home, so all y'all can stop your pacing and go back to your pickin' and grinnin.'
1. Makeup is fine.
2. Left at 9:30 (starting to pumpkinize.)
3. No need for the pistol.
4. Nice relaxing evening of cutthroat dominoes (I will have to go back just to avenge myself.)
5. I could have used the biscuits for the attack Jack Russell terrior (actually, very sweet but hyper doggie who lives to be patted.)
6. No need for background check; nice, quiet sort of fellow.
The ice is broken, and I didn't drown, so all's well that ends well.

--Karen
Waskel
Posted 2009-01-11 10:35 PM (#434210 - in reply to #434165)

"nice, quiet sort of fellow"

I really, really wish you hadn't said that...
OldLiverJones
Posted 2009-01-11 10:59 PM (#434211 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by The Wabbit Formerly Known As Waskel:
"nice, quiet sort of fellow"

I really, really wish you hadn't said that...
Isn't that he way neighbors describe them on the news interviews?
fillhixx
Posted 2009-01-11 11:49 PM (#434212 - in reply to #434165)

Okay, Karen; we need name, address, and phone number on this guy. We have hackers, detectives, (and experienced stalkers, I'm sure) here to get the full back-story on this guy.

PM the usual suspects with the details....

...and please send me three strands of his hair
(he does have hair, right?)
by snail mail.
standing
Posted 2009-01-12 1:06 AM (#434213 - in reply to #434165)

MusicMishka: I don't know if you created those "10 rules for dating my daughter" yourself or borrowed them from elsewhere, but they are brilliant! I have seen similar lists, but none as perfect as those. I hope you don't mind my copying them to hang by our front door. I have a teenage daughter*, and my wife says I'm "over-protective." However, I say (with great confidence ;-) that my wife was NEVER a teenage boy, and I WAS (albeit long ago,) so I believe I know more about the inner workings of those beasts than my wife does ;-) The list goes up tomorrow, I think I'll make some copies as "handouts" for them to take along in case they need to refresh their memory during the date.

(*yes, we started a family at a relatively advanced age, and no, I'm not really her grandfather ;-)
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-12 9:21 AM (#434214 - in reply to #434165)

Standing, you could try the old routine of cleaning several guns when the boyfriend arrives. Either he'll know to fear you, or you'll get a new shooting buddy.
an4340
Posted 2009-01-12 10:43 AM (#434215 - in reply to #434165)

Get him drunk and have your way with him. If you want to get to know him before bonking him, ask him questions about his life, talk about favorite movies, books, music etc, and if you like the answers, and he asks you questions about your interests, and you like him, then bonk him.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-12 10:51 AM (#434216 - in reply to #434165)

In our generation, "bonk" was a sound effect from the Batman TV show.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-12 10:55 AM (#434217 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
In our generation, "bonk" was a sound effect from the Batman TV show.
Wow. You're old......
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-12 11:01 AM (#434218 - in reply to #434165)

Not as old as AJ (until April).
sligoman
Posted 2009-01-12 3:37 PM (#434219 - in reply to #434165)

I believe the term he was searching for was "boink"
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-12 3:49 PM (#434220 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by sligoman:
"boink"
Doesn't matter. Both are inappropriate in referring to a lady member, especially one never met!
Waskel
Posted 2009-01-12 4:07 PM (#434221 - in reply to #434165)

I agree.
lanaki
Posted 2009-01-12 4:08 PM (#434222 - in reply to #434165)

what wabbit said about what iffy said.
BT717
Posted 2009-01-12 4:22 PM (#434223 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by 2ifbyC:
Originally posted by sligoman:
"boink"
Doesn't matter. Both are inappropriate in referring to a lady member, especially one never met!
Agreed!

I don't know why some of us forget we have members of the opposite sex here??? Come on guys,
think before you "speak"! :(
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-01-12 4:50 PM (#434224 - in reply to #434165)

So Karen survived her date (well done Karen). How about AJ?
sligoman
Posted 2009-01-12 6:42 PM (#434225 - in reply to #434165)

Sorry, you're right.
PEZ
Posted 2009-01-12 7:21 PM (#434226 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1:
Whoa....hundreds of big brothers standing at the top of the stairs when I come in: "Where have you been, not-so-young lady??!! And who were you with??!!" (One night after Jack died, I was out with some girlfriends and came in just after 11; my 19-year-old son did that to me--a very funny turning of the tables...)

To address the few concerns:
1. I don't wear makeup. ;)
2. I "pumpkinize" at about 9:30 now, so I won't break curfew because I mostly can't stay up that late.... ;)
3. My one "pistol" is an antique derringer that hasn't been fired in about 100 years. It won't hurt him, but, even better, it won't hurt me, either! :D
4. Don't know any single guys who own (or will confess to owning) Taylors, or play drums. :eek:
5. Background check of the best kind--each week, I play bluegrass with his dad (who is about the age my dad would be.) :) (It was his dad's idea that we meet.......)

And..due to the inclement weather, dinner is now tomorrow night, the 12th, at 5--and we are meeting at his mom and dad's, whom I love to bits. (A nice comfy way to meet.) :cool:

I am taking all your suggestions under advisement...especially the dog biscuits, Cliff. Will keep you posted...I think. ;)

--Karen
No reason why the 2 banger won't work....
I can lend a ya frew grains of
Pyrodex
(static from nylon can set off real black powder
and ya don;t want to pull a Plaxico Burris)
a couple percusion caps .....
Would you need .36 & .44 caliber round balls??

One last thing,
if they mention a being in the health care industry and a mental hospitol; don't assume they work there.......

Yes I had that expirence....
Off meds man o man
what a surprise, she claimed to the Holy Ghoast.....
My reaction was holy and another word
Oddball
Posted 2009-01-12 7:44 PM (#434227 - in reply to #434165)

Forget 'boinking' for a minute. I remember when 'hooking up' was a fishing term. To my daughters' huge amusement, I have also used it interchangeably with 'meet up'. In teen lingo these days, it basically means 'boink'.
JeffreyD
Posted 2009-01-12 7:53 PM (#434228 - in reply to #434165)

I married my first blind date. 29 years later she still can't see how ugly I am. :D (well 29 next month)
fillhixx
Posted 2009-01-12 9:05 PM (#434229 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by BT717:
I don't know why some of us forget we have members of the opposite sex here???
The complementary sex I meet often.
Just what is the opposite sex?

Never understood the term 'opposite sex'....
...except in reference to none.
Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-01-13 4:27 PM (#434230 - in reply to #434165)

Phil et al:
True Story, just like the movies:

My daughter brought home her latest b'friend for dinner and to meet the parents.
I just happened to be cleaning up after target shooting and was wearing a desert camo jacket, pulling clips of ammunition out of pockets, spent brass, etc. when she brought him in to meet me. I was holding an M1 Garand. I could not resist.

She introduces him as "AJ".

I said hello, and then gave him the long, slow look from head to toe (other dads know about this look), and asked him: "Your legs work?" and snapped the bolt closed.

"yessir" he squeaked.

"Why aren't you running? That girl has left more emotional wreckage behind her than the Titanic. Run while you still can."

A twofer. :D
Weaser P
Posted 2009-01-13 6:38 PM (#434231 - in reply to #434165)

Wow. With honesty like that I wudda had to kiss her g'night and then ask YOU out!
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-13 8:14 PM (#434232 - in reply to #434165)

After refraining from any useless comments I could have made I have to second on Jeff's comment:
"Enjoy those angst-filled and excited moments. We tend to forget or avoid them as we age but, they are signs that you're traveling a new route... enjoy the scenery."

There lies the thrill of life, anticipation of what lies ahead! I hope you enjoyed the time Karen.

As Bob said "I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then".
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-14 10:16 AM (#434233 - in reply to #434165)

Originally posted by Mitzdawg:

My daughter brought home her latest b'friend for dinner and to meet the parents.
I just happened to be cleaning up after target shooting and was wearing a desert camo jacket, pulling clips of ammunition out of pockets, spent brass, etc. when she brought him in to meet me. I was holding an M1 Garand.
My eldest once brought home a new guy while I was cleaning up from a 3-gun competition (pistol, shotgun, evil black rifle). Like you, I had guns, parts, ammo, and accessories all over the place. The kid immediately got all excited and started talking guns, forgetting about his date for a few minutes. Before the evening was over I was sure to take him to the trophy case to show him my daughter's pistol trophies. He turned out to be a good kid, eventually enlisting in the Marines and doing a tour in Iraq.

BTW, I'm really jealous of your Garand. Someday....