Curious . . . .
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-05 12:19 AM (#424912)
Subject: Curious . . . .

I gather from my short time here and from the many recordings and videos I have enjoyed, that many of you are exceptional guitarists with mucho experiences with music. My question is, have any of you had the opportunity to play with any famous guitar players? Other than Mr. King with his beautiful daughter. And, if so, would you care to give a description of the event and or person you played with?

Thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2009-03-05 1:18 AM (#424913 - in reply to #424912)
Subject: Re: Curious . . . .

The main group I was in back in the 70's opened up several shows for "The Guess Who". Also played shows with many regional acts such as BLOODROCK, FEVER TREE, and jammed with Eric Johnson when he was with the Electromagnets.

There was a place in Houston back in the mid/late 60s called Milby Park where many of the days musicians would go to gather and either jam or sometimes play with their groups. Some of the ones I got to hang with were Billy Gibbons (when he was with the Moving Sidewalks), Johnny and Edgar Winter, Roky Erickson, Bugs Henderson, John Nitzinger and probably more that I have forgotten. It would have been nice to have jammed with all of them but when most of them were playing at Milby Park I was mid-teens and while I got to hang and socialize that was the extent of it.

Hossman have you gotten a hold of any of the OFC CD's? Some pretty good member music on all 3 of them.
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-05 2:17 AM (#424914 - in reply to #424912)

Me certianly not exceptional.....
Just real real lucky
I'm your basic chord strumming hack.
Can't play lead to save my life.

If you mean on the stage at the same time playing.
Buddy Cage pedal steel player twice.
(New Riders of the Purple Sage a long list studio work including Bob Dylan & Ann Murrey)
Rick Danko Bass player The Band once.
G. E. Smith & the SNL Band once on a Tuesday.

Playing seperately on the same bill
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/pezcleo/?action=view&curre...
plus Hank Jr & Lynard Skynard
(they were selling their own shirts for $50 each and did not allow thier name on the event shirts)
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/pezcleo/?action=view&curre...

Just met too many to list as managed part of 5000
seat concert hall.

Got Huey Lewis to try single malt scotch.
(GLENFIDDICH) He had order Dewar's :(
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-05 2:23 AM (#424915 - in reply to #424912)

Originally posted by stephent28:
The main group I was in back in the 70's opened up several shows for "The Guess Who". Also played shows with many regional acts such as BLOODROCK, FEVER TREE, and jammed with Eric Johnson when he was with the Electromagnets.
Great Band.
The Guess Who & Steffenwolfin the 80s
One best shows I ever saw.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-05 8:34 AM (#424916 - in reply to #424912)

For real: Frank Varela...now HE's played wth Larry Coryell!

Also for real, and a funny story, played once with Philippe Catherine in Paris, though, I can guarantee it, HE doesn't remember it!

And, if you count them playing on a youtube video, while I jam along, then Mark Knopfler, John McLaughline, Al DiMeola, Larry Coryell...numerous others.

Oh. They have to *KNOW* they're playing with you?

Darn.

Never mind.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-05 8:55 AM (#424917 - in reply to #424912)

Jammed all night with Kenny Loggins in a dayroom at a National Guard air base in Ontario California in 1969. He was personal friends with several guys in the unit and we were all killing time in preparation for a drill. I didn't know his last name at the time and we all just referred to him as Kenny. He was not a member of the unit, just a good (and very talented) friend of a friend.

Also jammed at a campfire in Mesa Verde National Park in the early 1970's with Dan Fogelberg who was, at the time, traveling back and forth between California and Chicago in the early stages of his music career, heard me playing in a campground, and asked if he could join me. Fortunately, I had an extra guitar with me. I had never heard of him at that time and only later remembered the event because I had written down his name and California telephone number which was still on a piece of paper in the camping trailer. The number was disconnected when I tried it a few years later.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-05 9:27 AM (#424918 - in reply to #424912)

PRof, have you seen that campground recently? It is all dilapidated and overgrown. A real shame. We camped there back in '89 and it was beautiful then.

As far as famous people, the only one I've performed with was Doc Severensen when I was a senior in high school. I sang with some other folks. He's the only famous musician I've ever performed with.

Except that time I sang with James Taylor. Along with 20,000 others in the auditorium!
TRboy
Posted 2009-03-05 9:29 AM (#424919 - in reply to #424912)

I played and sang with Steve Sutton (DeBanjo) and Mr. Beal..... :cool:
dobro
Posted 2009-03-05 9:51 AM (#424920 - in reply to #424912)

I grew up in the same corner of the Bay Area (CA) as Stanley Jordan. He was already into guitar and computers big time in high school. I remember going over to his house and marveling at a Travis Bean guitar he had with an aluminum neck (it was fixed to a music stand!). I learned to use all-fourths tuning from him back in '75. Still use it now. I was amazed at his playing and how much I learned just hanging out: For example, if you take a simple "stack of fourths" at the 7th fret, top strings (A D G C) and also the variant that has a tritone (Ab D G C) you can use them--at the right place on the neck, of course--to function as any chord you need in a jazz comping context. The only wisdom you need is to know what root to associate with each such "stack". For example the second one (Ab D G C) gives a nice Bb13 if you play it over an Bb bass note. Pretty cool! Or the first type of stack (6th fret: all perfect fourths) G# C# F# B gives a nice major chord (maj 6 9) over an open E bass. There's an amazing variety of sounds you get by just deploying these two basic types of "fourth stacks" over different bass notes. Anyway.... a great guitar lesson from Stanley J!

I got to play with Barney Kessel at a clinic (Great American Music Hall) in the late 70s. As a member of a jazz ensemble I was singled out in a competition (kind words) by jazz great John Handy.
Ran into Clapton in a record store in Greenwich Village. Didn't play though....

And every gig I play with a truly amazing guitarist I met on this site: Jeff Burns member 2805!
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-05 10:22 AM (#424921 - in reply to #424912)

Thanks for the stories thus far. They are awesome.

Stephent, no I have not gotten any OFC cds yet. Are they available for purchase on this site?

Kinda cool that some of you jammed with famous people before they became famous. Around a campfire no less!

Heuy Lewis used to play the local bars in Rome, NY back when I was a teenager.

Great stuff, I hope that more members will chime in here.
stephent28
Posted 2009-03-05 11:10 AM (#424922 - in reply to #424912)

Hossman, I believe that all the CDs are still available through the online OFC store.

Maybe contact Miles for the definitive answer.
Steve A
Posted 2009-03-05 12:36 PM (#424923 - in reply to #424912)

I played guitar with Clint Black once. He was visiting with the troops in Somalia and heard that another soldier and I had brought along our guitars and that were doing some "entertaining". So he sent word that he would like to do a song with us. We were honored and ended up playing "City Lights" with him. He was very gracious.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-05 12:50 PM (#424924 - in reply to #424912)

From dobro:
take a simple "stack of fourths" at the 7th fret, top strings (A D G C) and also the variant that has a tritone (Ab D G C) you can use them--at the right place on the neck, of course--to function as any chord you need in a jazz comping context. The only wisdom you need is to know what root to associate with each such "stack". For example the second one (Ab D G C) gives a nice Bb13 if you play it over an Bb bass note. Pretty cool! Or the first type of stack (6th fret: all perfect fourths) G# C# F# B gives a nice major chord (maj 6 9) over an open E bass.
I KNOW he's talking to me, because I see letters and things, but I DON'T know what he's saying!!! :confused:
dobro
Posted 2009-03-05 1:33 PM (#424925 - in reply to #424912)

Hey, don't feel bad: most of the time I don't know what I'm talking about either. Whoo Hoo!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-05 1:43 PM (#424926 - in reply to #424912)

And people think lawyers talk funny.
dobro
Posted 2009-03-05 2:20 PM (#424927 - in reply to #424912)

No doubt (except, in my case that's no excuse: I'm not a lawyer!)
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-03-05 2:32 PM (#424928 - in reply to #424912)

I've performed many times with Alan Jackson. He and I both grew up in Newnan, GA and were in the same church youth group (and youth choir).

As far as really performing WITH him, not really. We hung out some and played Sunday afternoon football with the same crowd. We were friends, but I had a singing partner and so did Alan. We'd end up playing the same Beta Club year-end banquets and such.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-05 2:34 PM (#424929 - in reply to #424912)

Originally posted by dobro:
No doubt (except, in my case that's no excuse: I'm not a lawyer!)
I know. Maybe if you were, I could understand you. Would "music geek" be more accurate?
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-05 2:45 PM (#424930 - in reply to #424912)

Originally posted by FlySig:
As far as famous people, the only one I've performed with was Doc Severensen when I was a senior in high school. I sang with some other folks. He's the only famous musician I've ever performed with.
Doc Severensen formerly held the position of Principal Pops Conductor for the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. I have sung in the Symphony Chorus for 21 years and we sang dozens of concerts with Doc and his combo. However, I was one of several hundred membes of the chorus, so I didn't really think of this as jammin' with a celebrity.

This past holiday season, I appeared on stage with Darin McGavin, with Richard Kaufman conducting. But that's another life.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-03-05 3:27 PM (#424931 - in reply to #424912)

I hesitate a little in posting this.
I've been really lucky to have had the life in music I've had.
But I am very aware of all that I'm not... and that I've likely gone as far as I will.

I'm 48 and I've been playing professionally since I was 12. So there have been many famous and infamous characters along the way. A few were exceptional people in unexpected ways, some endlessly self absorbed (and considerably less talented than their support staff).
It's cliché I know, but people are people. Some more worth knowing than others... famous or not.
(Mickey Newbury was the most brilliant artist I've ever known... Mickey who? you say... on the opposite end, spending one day with Jerry Lee Lewis was one too many...)

A sure sign of aging in this business is when credits involving "famous" people loose their credibility because the younger population no longer knows who they are! ouch.
(My first cut as a songwriter was by Tennessee Ernie Ford... a truly sweet man. Try dropping that name to a younger audience.)
"Fortune is fleeting, Fame is a bore" a friend of mine once wrote.

I do have moments that are extra special memories for me though. John Denver told me I was a better guitarist than he was... a statement I totally disagree with, but I cherish the complement.
(Sorry to say he hated O's...)

Getting to play Waylon's famous leather Tele was way cool... and so was he...
Following Roy Clark is a humbling experience I learned early.
Hanging out with Jerry Reed was a thrill.

I've said this here before but I'll repeat, as a guitarist, I've been most "starstruck" around the sidemen and studio musicians I've known and worked with through the years.
Infinitely more versatile than most "stars".

Say what you will about *insert famous guitarist here*, if spending 4 hours in a studio with Brent Mason doesn't make you go home and practice (or chop up some firewood), you're a better man than I.

I've rambled enough.
Time to clean out the cat boxes.
Beal
Posted 2009-03-05 3:37 PM (#424932 - in reply to #424912)

Josh White
Glen
Marcel
Kevin Cronin

but the important ones are:
Debanjo and Entwistle
Pam and Davis Turner
Witko, Al, Cliff, Temp and Slipkid

and of course............

DARBY NIX
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-03-05 3:43 PM (#424933 - in reply to #424912)

"That Guy"
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-03-05 3:43 PM (#424934 - in reply to #424912)

I played with Alison Krauss, sitting on the hood of a car behind the stage at a bluegrass festival in upstate New York. At that time Alison Brown was her banjo player.(She is an AMAZING talent.) She had previously been in a band with some friends of mine. I walked over and said Hi, and Alison Brown introduced me. We all got a kick out of that, three Alisons, and we all even spelled it the same way. I mentioned that I played guitar, so Alison Krauss said "Well go get it." I did. I don't even remember what we played, something simple like "I'll fly away". But it was pretty cool.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-03-05 3:46 PM (#424935 - in reply to #424912)

I'd marry Allison Krauss for her voice alone (the fiddle playing it just bonus)

and

Alison Brown IS very, very good
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-05 4:14 PM (#424936 - in reply to #424912)

Some great posts and greater stories here. Thank you all again for sharing these experiences with the group.

I am a ham and egger who used to sing lead with some bands early in my life and didn't take up the guitar until I decided to go to work and didn't have time for the band. As I didn't have a talented guitar player to play for me anymore, I figured I had better start doing for myself.

I have never had the opportunity to play with someone famous, but I have played with some talented musicians. I love entertaining and wish that I hadn't let it go for so long.

I am enjoying this group very much and thank you all for putting up with me.

Now, how about some more stories!! I can't wait to share them with my wife and kids.
Beal
Posted 2009-03-05 5:46 PM (#424937 - in reply to #424912)

Lonnie Mack was lots of fun except it got really drunk out that night, and Matt Smith is always fun to jam with.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-03-05 6:19 PM (#424938 - in reply to #424912)

You really should write a book Bill.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2009-03-05 10:54 PM (#424939 - in reply to #424912)

Everyone in the lobby at a factory tour.
Weaser P
Posted 2009-03-06 7:32 AM (#424940 - in reply to #424912)

What Fred said. YHBT.
Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-06 7:43 AM (#424941 - in reply to #424912)

Wow Prof, The story about Loggins is cool enough but to run into Dan Fogelberg in a campgrounds and Jam. That is the proverbial second lightning strike.
Waskel
Posted 2009-03-06 8:33 AM (#424942 - in reply to #424912)

Wow, indeed. Didn't realize I was only one degree away from so many famous people. I think I prefer the people I know here, though. My one brush with a star was meeting Tom Scholz (the lead guitarist from Boston) at a party once. A total ass.
BT717
Posted 2009-03-06 9:01 AM (#424943 - in reply to #424912)

Like Hossman21, I'm only a good guitar player to those who don't know how to play. So, my first expereince playing with "famous", talented musicians will come the weekend of June 5th 6th and 7th! :)
Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-06 9:16 AM (#424944 - in reply to #424912)

Stephen, Opening for The Guess Who back in the day is pretty cool too. You guy's must have been pretty good in your time to do that. Sounds like you could have stayed with music. Might be interesting to know what would have happened. Funny, I remember Blood Rock....My older Brother was into anything new back then and I remember their crazy Album Covers and hard rock of that era.
stephent28
Posted 2009-03-06 11:03 AM (#424945 - in reply to #424912)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
You guy's must have been pretty good in your time to do that.
Bite me! :D Course being "in my time" will make the taste old and bitter! ;)

Thanks Randy....it was lots of fun but the times were different and many brain cells were either destroyed or sent on permanent vacation. I will sometimes visit with friends from the past and they will tell a truly hilarious story that I was involved in (but that I have no recollection of and I was relatively good back then compared to many of the druggy/drinkers that I knew and/or performed with).
MWoody
Posted 2009-03-06 11:15 AM (#424946 - in reply to #424912)

"will make the taste old and bitter!"

...and tough too!
Damon67
Posted 2009-03-06 11:37 AM (#424947 - in reply to #424912)

Back in my heavy metal days, there were many, but probably the most noteworthy and relevant still today would be Lars and Cliff from Metallica.

My best friend Ross was the new lead player for a bad called Trauma, the band Cliff Burton played for before Metallica, They practiced next door to each other. I played the rhythm parts to "Seek and Destroy" and Ross did the leads. They were still virtually unknown back then. They'd just put out their first album, "Kill 'Em All" and we both knew several songs off the album. Ross and I were still pretty stoked. We were just 16 I think. Ross went on to do one record with Trauma on Mike Vaurney's "Shrapnel" label.

FYI, I was playing my UKII. :D

Played with Brad Gillis a few times too (Night Ranger).
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-06 12:26 PM (#424948 - in reply to #424912)

Wabbit mentioned that he met Tom Shulz of Boston. Boston was my first Rock and Roll love and my favorite band for many years. I am acquainted with Bob Aquaviva of Utica New York who produced a few of Boston's more recent albums. My best friend Jerry Yerman now sings in a band with Bob. I couldn't resist asking Bob about Tom Shulz and he said the same thing. Total Ass. Kinda disappointing for a longtime fan to hear. He does a lot of good with his money, but I guess doesn't respect anyone. Unfortunate.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-06 12:36 PM (#424949 - in reply to #424912)

I just realized that I have played with someone famous. I was frontman for a band called Skyless Knight back in the 80s and my drummer was Steve Borgovinni. You guys probably have never heard of him but he later formed a band called Fun Lovin' Criminals that had much success and made many videos for MTV and such. He is now in a band I think is called Needledrop or CC Jones. Good guy and very talented drummer. Fun Lovin Criminals played alternative rap/alternative rock. He's no Dan Fogelberg, but he's all I got. LOL
stephent28
Posted 2009-03-06 1:28 PM (#424950 - in reply to #424912)

It's the memories more than the names that are really important. I enjoy hanging out with a lot of the guys on this board more than I ever did with the "names" .
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-06 2:09 PM (#424951 - in reply to #424912)

Nobody except you guys, unless someone made it big from my college days that I'm not aware of. I've also been out of music for too many years and just appreciate the help I've received from this board in getting back into it. Hanging out in the basement in Idaho isn't conducive to meeting famous people.
I agree with Stephen that it's the memories of getting together with folks like you that are important. I need to meet more. With the beer and the age, I'm starting to forget who I've met and who I haven't.
dobro
Posted 2009-03-06 4:12 PM (#424952 - in reply to #424912)

Hey, Popcritic knows Kaki! :)

BWT: Isn't is Tom Scholz?
Losov
Posted 2009-03-06 5:32 PM (#424953 - in reply to #424912)

Narvel Felts. Ever hear of him? Me neither but apparently he's famous in rockabilly circles.

He travels with just a guitar and gets local bands to back him for his concerts. I was in a band that did this in '94. He sent us some tapes and handwritten fake sheets and we learned the songs.

It went well, he's quite a performer and his fans went nuts. I, personally, was not star struck.
dobro
Posted 2009-03-06 7:31 PM (#424954 - in reply to #424912)

What a name! Maybe an anagram for SELF TRAVEL'N ? :)
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-06 8:22 PM (#424955 - in reply to #424912)

BWT: Isn't is Tom Scholz?

My bad Sholz it is.

BWT: Isn't it BTW???
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-06 8:23 PM (#424956 - in reply to #424912)

Scholz

giggle
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2009-03-06 8:45 PM (#424957 - in reply to #424912)

Never had the privilege (?) of being in a place to jam with famous folks; my cheapy mando still has the remnants of Bill Monroe's signature on the back, though.
I'd have to agree with those who have commented about jammin' with the folks here on the board. Between the trips to Mother and the Smokey's jam, I'm thinking that some of the most talented musicians I know are hidin' their candles under the proverbial bushel. Famous, no--but musically just as good, and pretty nice folks to boot, too.

--Karen
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-03-06 9:20 PM (#424958 - in reply to #424912)

I'd missed this thread until tonight, and it got me thinking about the last nearly 30 years of playing, promoting and running music venues. These are I guess are a few of the highlights

Gigs/tours/recording - Tim Rose (writer of the Hendrix version of "Hey Joe") Splinter (first act signed to George Harrison's Dark Horse label) Bob Cheevers - Austin-based songwriter and for those of you old enough to remember, the guy who sang the theme tune for the TV series "Love American Style"

Opening for and/or after-show Jams - Chip Taylor (writer of Wild Thing, Angel Of The Morning and a ton of other monster hits) Guy Clark, Richard Dobson, Jesse Winchester, Bill Kirchen, Steve Young, Ponty Bone, Sonny Curtis, Peter Rowan, Eric Bibb, Rory Block, Peter Case, Jim Lauderdale, Kevin Welch, Darden Smith, Bob Brozman, Eric Taylor, The Gourds, Tom Russell, Steve James, Katie Moffat, Martin Simpson, Bert Jansch, Joe Ely, Nick Lowe, Michael Chapman, Issac Guillory, Kent DuChane, John Renbourn, Butch Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmour, Kimmie Rhodes, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Jimmy LaFave, Billy Swan, Colin Hay, Terry Allen, Dale Watson, and in a few weeks, Gurf Morlix.

After-show ass kicking (him, not me) - John Stewart

The most fun - Cliff, Bill, Matt, Johhny, Brad, Al, Kim, Amy etc. It's all about context. And probably beer will be in there somewhere too.
GlennAllenHessSr
Posted 2009-03-06 9:51 PM (#424959 - in reply to #424912)

I have worked security, and as a volunteer for several of the Indian River save the lagoon festivals here in Florida in Vero Beach and Sebastian over the years.. have sat down and played with Arlo a couple of times, Richie Havens once, and met many of the other artists at those venues and had the chance to talk with Don Henley, Woody Harrelson (Manly Moondog and the 3 Cool Cats for that show) and several others.

I was a hack then, and still, but it was a lot of fun. and Arlo is a super nice guy.

I see Larry Coryell quite often, and whenever he's in town he's hanging out at Howie's(Guitar Haven) and will usually go over to the Sun Shoppe coffee house and light up the place with some of the other local talent joining along.

Glenn
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-06 9:55 PM (#424960 - in reply to #424912)

I was Freddie
Beggin
Posted 2009-03-06 10:02 PM (#424961 - in reply to #424912)

Hmmm.....played with that is famous. Well I only started playing a little over 2 years ago.

Fame is in the eye of the beholder. I have played with many famous people, at many jams and a special clinic. Well, played with is relative, they have allowed me to strum a little with them, throw in a bad harmony or two, make them lose a beat or three.

Yes, I have played with MANY a famous person, y'all know who they are, and I am better for it!
Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-06 10:21 PM (#424962 - in reply to #424912)

You Old Fu@kers are really Cool !
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-06 10:32 PM (#424963 - in reply to #424912)

Donald Atwood "Don" Fisher

I have to pay tribute to one fine guitarist I used to play with all the time. You have never heard of him, but he was the guy I was referring to above when I mentioned the guy "who knew a few tunes on an old nylon string"; the basis for our early garage band.

He became one of the finest "feel" guitarists I have ever heard. He could play with, inside of, or outside of the rhythm and was always impeccable in his transitions from key to key. I was always jealous of these and other skills he had. Most of all, he had touch and feel. It was instinctive and he had it from the moment he picked up that ugly old nylon string.

He once took lessons from a superb guitarist named Sid Clarke, who lived in Granby, CT back in the 70's. Sid was my friend's brush with greatness. Sid had learned with and from John McLaughlin -- yes, Mahavishnu John McLaughlin. Sid played a custom scalloped fingerboard guitar like John's, and he was really, REALLY good.

Sadly, Sid died way too young, leaving behind a beautiful wife and very young daughter. He was a spectacular guitarist.

Years later my friend confessed that he had been jealous of what I could do (I was faster, more nimble). I told him of what my thoughts had been at the time. And I told him that I would "trade 100 miles per hour for half of his touch with each note, and for half his feel." He grew wistful, and said quietly, "Thanks," as though not quite believing it.

We laughed and reminisced a bit more, then he went home, and, several months later, died.

His name was Don Fisher, and he was a multi-talented guy, but never in a way that would lead him to prosperity or comfort. He had drunk himself to an early grave, alone and childless; largely unmourned, except for those of us who found out much later.

For me, he represents the quintessential "blues story," and that's the genre he could play as though he had invented it.

Just an opportunity to make a friend's name live a little longer.

Thanks.

Alan
dobro
Posted 2009-03-06 10:40 PM (#424964 - in reply to #424912)

A brush with my since-childhood-hero JM.
Still listen to "My Goal's Beyond" every day!
beatlejuice53
Posted 2009-03-09 3:48 PM (#424965 - in reply to #424912)

Back in the 70's I played a baseball video game with the Grassroots. Kicked their butts. it appeared they were pretty burned out from the road, though. Oddly enough, Rob Grill was one of early influences as a bass player. Still like listening to some of their old songs.
seesquare
Posted 2009-03-09 4:38 PM (#424966 - in reply to #424912)

I had a very good friend, who is the best guitarist I've ever been in the same room with, who sent roses to, and jammed with, Dan Fogelberg, after a concert. Does that count?
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-09 5:34 PM (#424967 - in reply to #424912)

Thanks for that wonderful post, AlanM.
alpep
Posted 2009-03-09 7:11 PM (#424968 - in reply to #424912)

i jammed blues with john scofield in 197????

at a clinic in ithaca NY
Captain Black
Posted 2009-03-09 7:21 PM (#424969 - in reply to #424912)

I once opened for Dicky Heart and the Palpatations on his 1990 comeback tour.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-03-09 8:05 PM (#424970 - in reply to #424912)

I guess I took these gigs for granted until now.

In '91 we opened for Blue Oyster Cult.

Quite the night as Eric rode a friend of mine's Harley onto the stage... he hadn't done that in awhile.

Also, they had to pull out a rare tune for one of the encore numbers they hadn't practiced because (Eric announced) "Well, we're gonna try this one cause the opening act did the song we were gonna do." :)
=========================================
Back in the 80's when I was in Hawaii, I became friends with a group called Studio-Yo. Actually I think they just liked the girl I hung with at the time. Anyway, the funk clubs stayed open much later than the rock clubs for some reason, so a few times I would show up when the rock clubs would close to sit in with Studio-Yo... the whole "special guest" rock-jam-to-get-the-Rock-crowd-in-the-door....... then back to Funk they went. Good schtick actually and it worked. We'd usually rock out on Clapton's Cocaine or Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way so we could extend the solo and twist it into a funk vibe near the end. Anyway, this "sax player" jumps in behind me one night, and we start dueling sax vs guitar. Was pretty cool. I was standing on a monitor the first time he "HONKED!!!" behind me and I almost ended up in the front row... but anyway... When I got off the stage, everyone was like "do you know who that was" which I didn't. It turned out to be Jerry Martini from Sly and the Family Stone. Cool guy. Played a mean sax. He introduced me to a lot of cool players and I got to sit in on a lot of cool gigs, but I don't remember most of it as I was pretty sauced up back then. I do still sortof remember the Studio-Yo record release party where me and my gal at the time were VIP guests thanks to "Hutch".. It was a Studio-54 style club and the evening started off with a Lingerie show. Lots of local Hawaiian celebs, most of which I had no idea who they were...
=========================================
And speaking of Hawaii...
One band I was in did a wedding at the Museum downtown.. don't remember the name. 'Dano from Hawaii 5-0 was the "opening act" for US!!!! That was pretty cool. Too bad that I also remember the idiot that booked us didn't have a clue as we were NOT the band they needed. Luckily the other guitar and the bassman knew some local stuff and we made it through the nite unharmed.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-09 10:15 PM (#424971 - in reply to #424912)

I did party with the "Noxema Girl" one New Years Eve. You all are old enough to remember the Noxema commercials with Joe Namath. She was the blond who "took it all off with Noxema".
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-10 12:07 AM (#424972 - in reply to #424912)

Originally posted by seesquare:
I had a very good friend, who is the best guitarist I've ever been in the same room with, who sent roses to, and jammed with, Dan Fogelberg, after a concert. Does that count?
Yep.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-10 12:23 AM (#424973 - in reply to #424912)

"Just an opportunity to make a friend's name live a little longer.

Thanks.

Alan"

Thank you Alan, that was a great story.

I wish I could step into all of you guys and gals memories to see and feel what you did "way back when."
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-03-10 1:25 AM (#424974 - in reply to #424912)

I spent 2 days playing guitar and singing with Jeff Hall.....