A Gentle Reminder
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2011-05-27 9:22 PM (#351651)
Subject: A Gentle Reminder

You all will probably start to be annoyed with me because I’ll bring this topic up at least twice each year. To me it’s just that important!

I know there are many Members here who play in public, but many more who only play in their own home. To all of you, my suggestion is this:

Contact the Activities Director at a local Convalescent Home and offer to play (for free) for the Residents. Put together a program for them. It can be as simple as a single guitarist playing or as involved as a multi-member group playing/singing with a PA system, etc.

I’m the director for my Church’s Elder Care Music Ministry and we play the Rest Home gig each month and it is one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had.

Our group is rather eclectic: 4 or 5 guitars, 1 mandolin, 1 bass, keyboard, banjo, French Horn, kazzoos, tambourine and singers! We even have a 10 minute “sermonette”! We play many of the old favorite Hymns and our program lasts about 1 hour. When finished, we go into the hallways/rooms and play for those who are bedridden and couldn’t make it over to the program.

The joy on the faces of these dear folks is indescribable! The blessing is enormous!

Please, consider something like this in your area. Either do it alone, or find some friends and make it big! It will be the best gig you could ever imagine!

When I look out at their faces when we are “in full flight” playing a song and I know that they have forgotten their condition and where they are, even for a moment, my heart soars!

Try it! You’ll like it!

Blessings!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
scott lamperd
Posted 2011-05-27 11:07 PM (#351652 - in reply to #351651)
Subject: Re: A Gentle Reminder

I am always blessed by the people in nursing homes. They are so appreciative of those of us willing to come sing for them.

scott lamperd b c (before computers)
PEZ
Posted 2011-05-28 2:31 AM (#351653 - in reply to #351651)

Around I asked few places and offered to do it gradis and was told no I have to be paid and have to audition for rec director. In the past it was sure come on in. Anyone have this happen?
Capo Guy
Posted 2011-05-28 9:02 AM (#351654 - in reply to #351651)

Tim,

Do I get to wear a hat when I play ???

I go several times a month. Always have great time.
Slipkid
Posted 2011-05-28 9:37 AM (#351655 - in reply to #351651)

I think it's a great thing to do.
I'd concider doing it myself except that I don't think my set list would fit in very well.

What will we do there?
We'll get hiiiigh
What will touch there?
We'll touch the sky
I'll always remember the time visiting my Mom when a very old & fragile lady in a wheelchair was pushing herself down the hallway saying... "I'm flying... I'm flying!!!"
I envy her for that small joy.
Here's a thought... by the time I reach nursing home age it's very possible that the guys coming in to play for me will be doing Kanya West and P.Diddy songs.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2011-05-28 1:44 PM (#351656 - in reply to #351651)

Here's a thought... by the time I reach nursing home age it's very possible that the guys coming in to play for me will be doing Kanya West and P.Diddy songs.

"Hope I die before I get old"
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2011-05-28 2:25 PM (#351657 - in reply to #351651)

Well, if the folks who are living there now are between 70-90, and if "my" music was at about 1970 (roughly), then "theirs" would be anywhere between 1940-1960 or so. There are a great many songs that you can pull from in that timeframe, and they are not all impossible to play--I mean, I grew up having Dad croon "Or would you like to swing on a star" and "Oops, there goes another rubbertree plant" over me, and all these years later I can still hear (and figure out) the chords.

I visit a retirement home once a month, and the ladies we visit always request the same songs--if they don't mind, we don't.

Will I get famous doing it? No. Will I get paid? No. But......the reward for going and bringing some cheer and variation into someone's day? Priceless......

--Karen