Adamas I Custom Shop NAMM Show from the Bay
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-07 5:17 PM (#315189)
Subject: Adamas I Custom Shop NAMM Show from the Bay

OK, OK, I know I said I was done...(GAS is a terminal thing I have come to realize) but I saw this early morning eBay addition (I was up with the baby ;) ) and thought I'd look at what was new on the bay for Ovation and I saw this: 2007 NAMM Adamas I
Well, my first reaction was that could not be because Al has what he believed and was told to be the only one purchased from NAMM...
My second reaction was this must be one of the Chineese fakes we've been reading about...but after close inspection, the photo's and the description of the seller seemed to be genuine...
My third reaction was to call Al which I did early this AM (he was actually home :D )...He was as confused as I was...and after we talked I called the seller...wwweeelllll, he also thought he had the only 2007 NAMM Custom Shop Adamas I...well, I worked out a deal and this guitar (with the lifetime warrenty attached) is now mine! :cool: :rolleyes:
It should be here by Monday so I'll post pic's and give a blow by blow description: just a few hints: I traded straight across for this; Asking price/Buy it Now was a ridiculously low $2100.00 (its over 5 grand); I am now one Gibson Doubleneck short but I gained a guitar of a lifetime... :cool:
I want to thank Al for his help in knowing what I was getting and for his friendship...You're a good man my friend!
Well, I'm off to the Southern Jam on Saturday and I am looking forward to it!!!
Have a great weekend all and Blessings...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-06-07 5:31 PM (#315190 - in reply to #315189)
Subject: Re: Adamas I Custom Shop NAMM Show from the Bay

I saw this when it first came up on ebay and wondered about it myself. But first, I think $2100 is a great price for this guitar and you're going to be very happy with it.

My thoughts regarding it were first, that this model probably doesn't retail for $5000. That strikes me as high. Second, I'm surprised that it has the OP Pro on it and not the VIP or Studio.

But again, it's well worth what you're paying for it and it's a great guitar. Give us a full report when you get it.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-06-07 5:34 PM (#315191 - in reply to #315189)

Mike, I took a bunch of pictures of the Adamas Custom Shop guitars at NAMM, which are on Jeromes site in the news section. You'll see that there was a guitar pretty much identical to this at NAMM except it had an Op50 while yours has an Op-pro according to the pics on Ebay. They must have made more than 1, either way it's still pretty damn unique. Retail quoted at NAMM was around $4200 I think.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-07 5:48 PM (#315192 - in reply to #315189)

Thanks fellas, I appreciate it...He invoiced it at $2800 for the warrenty and thats close to what I had in the EDS 1275 and it was a mostly a case queen; he covered shipping and the shipping for my Gibson to him...and he shipped the guitar today and I'll ship the 1275 when that one arrives...The 1275's a very nice guitar but I could buy another if I wanted (which I don't)...but this is such a great guitar and as Paul said...its unique...I guess the question is for myself and Al...just how many "One Off" 2007 NAMM guitars are there and since when does ONE not really mean ONE? Al says the sound is fantastic...I'll let everyone know...
Blessings...
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-07 6:12 PM (#315193 - in reply to #315189)

Paul, after viewing the pictures (and thanks; they're great) it is obvious to me that in the "Ovation Dictionary" "One of a Kind" means: one w/op-50; one with 0p-pro; etc...etc...
well, I've got a wonderful guitar on the way...cloth bowl, Adamas tone ring; 47RI style red sb w/gold flecks; nice electric's for gigs/jams/etc.
I'm thrilled! :D
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-07 6:23 PM (#315194 - in reply to #315189)

Mystery solved?
Al's has the OP-50...mine has the OP-Pro...that accounts for both his and mine...are there more? Time will tell (and Kaman/Ovation/Adamas if we can get it out of them... :rolleyes:
Blessings...
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-06-07 6:25 PM (#315195 - in reply to #315189)

Mike: I really got the feeling from you at the reunion that with your freshly redone snakeskin, you were one very satisfied camper. Isn't it great to have GAS? Just wondering, was your 1275 the deluxe white model or the standard red?
giuseppe
Posted 2007-06-07 6:41 PM (#315196 - in reply to #315189)

It is a great guitar! Great price too!
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-07 7:10 PM (#315197 - in reply to #315189)

Alpine White...very beautiful...heavy...I hardly played it...The Adamas is much more to my liking...and yes, the snake is alive and doing great...much better than its cousin currently on the bay(serious issues there). I have wanted an Adamas for some time...and after playing some at the tour (well, a lot actually) I was even more convinced. I had a chance at several 47RI and came very close...but I use A/E's every week and knew that if I found the right combination or had it built for me, I'd be happy...and I am...with my six strings...one more Adamas to go though...later this year...right Al? ;)
Blessings...
Tupperware
Posted 2007-06-07 7:28 PM (#315198 - in reply to #315189)

That's a beautiful guitar. Enjoy it my friend.

Dave
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-06-07 7:39 PM (#315199 - in reply to #315189)

Great get Mike, that is indeed a beautiful guitar. You're not going to really play it, are you?
Stuart Miller
Posted 2007-06-07 7:52 PM (#315200 - in reply to #315189)

Well done Mike, I am glad it went inside the club. I offered them my UTE and $1,000 last night but I guess they must have been happier with your Gib Double.

Look forwad to seeing it in the flesh sometime. Mid Atlantic Jam anyone? ;-)
Beggin
Posted 2007-06-07 7:56 PM (#315201 - in reply to #315189)

Congrats, Mike! I know that this one will be very special to you.

Sorry it can't be there for the weekend. We will just have to settle for you! (Compliment intended) :p

Please, e-mail me when you wish to sell the rejects. :eek: ;) :D
alpep
Posted 2007-06-07 8:28 PM (#315202 - in reply to #315189)

one thing I can absolutely say is that guitar NEVER came even close to Namm.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-07 9:44 PM (#315203 - in reply to #315189)

Thank you all group for the good wishes...Al, thats evidently yours in Pauls pic's from NAMM, so no doubt about the one you have...This one: hey, its an Adamas and its on the way here...details at this point are just details! This was the proverbial "offer you can't refuse". I am looking forward to sharing it with the club and doing some serious jamming asap! 'Nuff said...Blessings...
Tupperware
Posted 2007-06-07 10:02 PM (#315204 - in reply to #315189)

Dang, I went back and looked at those namm photos and saw Harvey Reid playing my old Adamas II cutaway (now Paul's guitar). Cool. That single epaulet cat was one of the best adamas guitars I ever heard. Another one I never should have let go. Dave
fugot
Posted 2007-06-07 10:34 PM (#315205 - in reply to #315189)

cloth bowl, adamas anything is f-cool in my book-if I could custo order an adamas I would start there-of course I am biased after playing a few shiny bowls. All the same, many congrats

What is it lately? sweet guitar are just coming out of the woodwork (maybe those guys really do work at the big brick building)

peace mike
Tupperware
Posted 2007-06-07 10:39 PM (#315206 - in reply to #315189)

Originally posted by fugot:
What is it lately? sweet guitar are just coming out of the woodwork (maybe those guys really do work at the big brick building)
WORK? Maybe sweeping up the buds on the floor of the bell tower ...

I have a theory - There are really only about 100 actual ovation or adamas guitars in the world. We just keep reselling them to each other over and over again.

Dave
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-06-08 3:22 AM (#315207 - in reply to #315189)

Originally posted by fugot:

peace mike
I see a couple coming out of your wood work. Whats up with that?
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-06-08 8:54 AM (#315208 - in reply to #315189)

Very- very nice.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-08 9:28 AM (#315209 - in reply to #315189)

I have a theory - There are really only about 100 actual ovation or adamas guitars in the world. We just keep reselling them to each other over and over again.
And these must be from another planet I'm guessing?

Maybe the same guitars just get redone evey 3,000 plays or 5 years under the bed whichever comes first!...lol :rolleyes:
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-08 9:31 AM (#315210 - in reply to #315189)

Update on Guitar Progress: looks like it will not be here until the 14th...patience is a virtue but waiting is a drag...Have a great weekend everybody and see you all after I return from my conference. (and the Southern Jam)...
Blessings...
stephent28
Posted 2007-06-08 10:21 AM (#315211 - in reply to #315189)

Al, is that typical of manufacturers?....to make guitars for NAMM and then never take them to the show or exhibit them?
Tupperware
Posted 2007-06-08 11:12 AM (#315212 - in reply to #315189)

Guess on my part (but my company does this for trade shows), build a few interesting samples and at the last minute decide that this one, that one and the other one go to the show. Stash the others in a closet and we'll figure out what to do with them later. Dave
cliff
Posted 2007-06-08 11:22 AM (#315213 - in reply to #315189)

Anybody that's EVER worked the TradeShow business for a reasonable amount of time KNOWS that the chances of some Union FuckWit with a forklift putting one (or both) blade(s) through a crate containing components to your Booth comes down to not "IF" but "WHEN".
You make "spares" of EVERYTHING . . .
alpep
Posted 2007-06-08 11:43 AM (#315214 - in reply to #315189)

Originally posted by stephent28:
Al, is that typical of manufacturers?....to make guitars for NAMM and then never take them to the show or exhibit them?
IMHO I think the guitar was ordered with similar specs but was in no way a namm guitar.

I have the one and only one that was at namm.

end of discussion
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-08 1:08 PM (#315215 - in reply to #315189)

Actually this dealer (who is the closest local dealer to the site) bought the entire line Ovation/Adamas brought to NAMM (of the custom Shop Adamas Guitars he just bought the One I am getting from him). He placed his order before the show opened as that is the option Kaman gave him. I just got off of the phone with him...he is an older man who has a very high end shop in La Verne California and is primarily an acoustic player. He got the guitars just after the event closed from the warehouse about 40 miles from the site. Again, I am not disputing that Al has “THE” guitar hanging on the display at the show. But as Dave and others who do and know trade shows have already explained, it is common practice to have more than one "sample" just in case. As part of his order this dealer also bought the Benz Genz amps from the show and received several of the same models: some had been loaned to other exhibits for their use until after the event. As I stated before, he is as surprised as anyone else as he was just as sure that his was the "One and Only" NAMM 2007 guitar. Whether his/now my guitar actually was on display during the show or not (and it could have been at some point or maybe not) what difference does this all make? Sure it makes a difference to Al who has a vested interest with his guitar, and I certainly understand that. I remember the first time I met someone with the same first and last name as me: Nashville TN 1990, during a set break at a club...someone wanted to sit in and I asked for his name: Mike Ward I was told...I was flabbergasted! But I have since met others with the same names so I had to live with the knowledge that there is more to someone (or in this case something) than the name...each one is an individual in their/its own right.
Can't we just be happy for each others victories and be there to share in each others difficulties? That certainly seems to make sense to me. Al has the guitar from the show booth in the pic's available and mine is similar but unique as well with unknown provenance in some respects. Knowing this will not alter the effect of joy from the sound sure to project from the depths of the instrument or the beauty that emerges with each opening of the case! It is an Adamas and to me, that’s all that really matters!
Blessings all!...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-06-08 1:11 PM (#315216 - in reply to #315189)

What's the name of his shop? I get up to that neck of the woods on occasion and am always looking for guitar stores in which to wander....
alpep
Posted 2007-06-08 1:12 PM (#315217 - in reply to #315189)

mike
your information is incorrect.
i will not elaborate
have a great day
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-08 1:36 PM (#315218 - in reply to #315189)

From His Website: www.frettedproducts.com

Betterbilt Fretted Products
1455 Palomares Ave.
La Verne, California 91750
(909) 392 3111 Fax (909) 392 3113
Shop Hours: Monday through Friday 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM Other hours by appointment
Gayl Swinehart - owner
We are a member of NAMM. This is our 37th year in business!
I sell nice stuff and treat my customers like my family. We are located in Southern California just east of Los Angeles and have a guitar shop open to the public in addition to offering guitars on line through our web site and on eBay. I have hundreds of 100% positive feedbacks on eBay. I have never had an unhappy customer! Our shop is at 1455 Palomares La Verne, California.
I am married to the same fine lady for over 40 years and am a father of two and a grandfather of six.
Gayl Swinehart
I'm hitting the road/out of here folks; if anyone is interested I'll post pic's when it arrives...call him if you don't believe me...he asked anyone who will to do so...I am only reporting what I know from what I have found out from many sources.
Al, you can call me...I'm home until tomorrow am.
Blessings all......

Lev. 19:18; Matt 7:12; Luke 6:27-36
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-08 5:57 PM (#315219 - in reply to #315189)

Ok, anybody got any BC powders? Just kidding...But seriously: I think I have gotten to the bottom of this mystery. So I will share what I know as I don't have anything to hide: I bought this in good faith and could only go with what I had available to share. Here is the body of the email I just received from someone who wishes to remain anonymous:

quote edited by alpep

So, since I don't have the serial number of the guitar I just bought and am unable to contact the seller at this late time, I will have to asume this could be the end of the mystery. Rest assured I will get the serial number and also a copy of the original invoice...So, all this drama and we still have what we had at the beginning...two nearly identical Adamas guitars; one proven to be the Physical example which hung from the display and which Al now owns/has for sale...and me with a great Adamas I Custom Shop guitar at a phenominal price which looks just like it. I hope now that all are satisfied and happy...or not! Either way, I would have done the deal again as I think the guitar is worth it. Have a great weekend and here's a thought: get away from the computer and get an Ovation/Adamas (or some other wonderful fretted instrument) and make some music and have some fun. Life is too short! ;)
Blessings... :rolleyes:
Tony Calman
Posted 2007-06-08 6:14 PM (#315220 - in reply to #315189)

Mike,

problem is that you are identifying the employee by his job description...
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-13 9:51 PM (#315221 - in reply to #315189)

WELL, the 1687-2 arrived today. 6 days to get from California to Virginia:confused:. To say I was excited is a bit of an understatement: this is my first Adamas...And to be honest I wasn't at all sure what I was getting: what with all of the flack this has caused...Guitar was in the case which was in the original shipping carton from Ovation w/o any other packing material at all...it was still tuned to pitch (well almost...just a bit flat, but used the OP-Pro tuner and in less than a minute it was tuned)...I started to pick a few cords and besides not the tone I was expecting, I heard an annoying buzz/vibration/ghost in the machine...whatever could it be :eek: ? I turned the guitar over and could not believe my eyes (understand this all happened in less than two minutes from the time I took it out of the case)...there was a hole where the access panel should have been...so I looked inside and there it was...still securely attached to the lip which had separated from the bowl back...the lip the access panel attaches to...the "space age epoxy" or whatever had simply come un-epoxied and dropped the panel and lip into the inner sanctum of the bowl. A through check and it seems no additional damage was done...but it can't come out (the lip ring that is...the access panel will unscrew but the lip will not fit through the hole). I was stunned...never saw that before...no wonder there was a "vibration". So, now what to do...(my doubleneck is still in the carton waiting to be shipped out...he sent his before I shipped mine)...Hmmmmmmmm). Stunned, I took all kinds of pictures to document what I found, gave a call to John B. at hte Mothership who had already left for the day; called Al to give a report (he'd also been to three sideshows, two county fairs and a donut shop and had also "never seen nuttin like that")...Then I called the dealer who was in a meeting and left a message for him to call me...After four hours I called again and spoke with him...he suggested getting a local Ovation repair person/shop ...(wrong answer)...or return the guitar ....(Hmmmmmmmmm)...or call Ovation ...(no kidding!!!!!)...I told him that I had already called Ovation and was waiting for the return call, and that I would decide what to do by tomorrow...All this was fine with him...SO, WHAT TO DO...The guitar is a beauty...very nice otherwise, and yet I have no idea what it sounds like due to the "giant rear facing sound hole"...here are the photo's: 1687-2 NAMM 2007 CS replica
I did find out a few things but because Al has been so great in helping me with this and I know he is tired of hearing about it, I'll spare him from hearing about it again. This guitar has a lyrachord GS bowl (Al's real NAMM has a cloth-laid bowl); OP-Pro w/regular and XLR plugs; regular Adamas label w/o the designation Al's has; but a beautiful -2 top, carved bridge and headstock (which looks just a bit off center to me), full warranty etc. I just need to decide what to do...this will not be an easy fix and may require top removal to properly seat the access panel lip ring again... But it looks killer and I am sure plugged in it's great (actually it probably is acoustically as well...I just haven't been able to play it). Comments? Ideas? Bring em on: I am waiting to speak w/John before I decide. But I wanted to share this with everyone as there but for the grace........
Hope your day was better (and again Cliff, thanks for the Tim Renwick post...it picked me up and made me smile) :D
Hey, in the long run, it’s just a guitar but it is disappointing...They’ll be better days! Don't touch that dial....stay tuned for the rest of the story.
Blessings…
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-06-13 10:15 PM (#315222 - in reply to #315189)

Top removal?!!!! Mike, chill out, the ring fix is a drop or two of cyano and in fairness the seller probably didn't know about it. You got yourself a very rare guitar for how much? Don't worry about it.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-13 10:25 PM (#315223 - in reply to #315189)

Whew, thanks Paul, I'm listening to everybody because I just don't know...but you I trust my friend...I feel better now.
Blessings...
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-13 10:27 PM (#315224 - in reply to #315189)

BTW, I am quite sure the seller did not know about it...DHL at your service? who knows...it sure is a pretty thing...Paul, again...Thank You!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-06-13 10:35 PM (#315225 - in reply to #315189)

It looks like an easy fix. You can see where the glue just came undone. Might have to take the lid and ring apart to glue the ring back in, but you should be able to line it up easily. Probably got bounced on it's belly.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-13 10:50 PM (#315226 - in reply to #315189)

Mark and Paul...I did take them apart...and it looks like it will line up...I have some cyano...trying to decide if to go ahead and give it a go...stay tuned...
Bluebird
Posted 2007-06-13 11:01 PM (#315227 - in reply to #315189)

Mike, I wouldn't do anything to it until you get the ok from Ovation...lifetime warranty, wouldn't want to mess that up even if it looks like an easy thing to fix.
dvd
Posted 2007-06-13 11:14 PM (#315228 - in reply to #315189)

Wow, Mike, I'm sure that was quite a shock! However, in looking at the pics, I'm sure it's an easy fix. Just be glad it didn't damage any braces or anything. You've got a great guitar there that you will enjoy for years to come, I'm sure.

Now duct tape a folgers coffee can lid on there and get jammin! :)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-06-13 11:33 PM (#315229 - in reply to #315189)

Voice of Inexperience here---
Looks like an Easy Fix... BUT!
DO NOTHING!!!
Lifetime warranty!
I know how much you want to play it (I would) but send it to the Mothership.
My understanding from reading the warranty info on the Ovation Page is that you only have to pay for shipping one way.
And they will fix it, and they will guarantee the fix.

It sure is a nice guitar. I know you must be disappointed.
But good things come to those who wait. :cool:
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-13 11:51 PM (#315230 - in reply to #315189)

Done! As they say, "No Balls No Blue Chips";
here are the pic's: Repair
I used a hair dryer after clamping and then let it cool...took more than a few drops but turned out clean and seems solid. Access panel reattached just fine and I was able to play the guitar...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!...I can see that an Adamas is like a fine lady...well you get the idea...I'm stoked...Thanks so much Guys! I'll take more pic's outside tomorrow. Now I'm going to play it for a while while I can still stay awake...and hopefully not wake the baby!
Blessings...
PS. There is a package headed to California tomorrow....and its not the Adamas!
:D :cool: ;)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-06-14 12:00 AM (#315231 - in reply to #315189)

Sometimes even though you might be under warranty you get some satisfaction by fixing it yourself. Good job. You'll love it.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-06-14 12:03 AM (#315232 - in reply to #315189)

Okay... Don't listen to my advice!
[I woulda done the same thing!]

Glad it turned-out well.
Designzilla
Posted 2007-06-14 6:43 AM (#315233 - in reply to #315189)

Good job Mike!

Congratulations on great deal on an amazing guitar. I know what it feels like to open a guitar box and have a piece of the guitar flopping around. It sure feels good when you fix it. All the nervousness about your purchase disappears when it's fixed and you start playing.

Very nice guitar!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-06-14 7:25 AM (#315234 - in reply to #315189)

Man, looks like I missed playing that thing by a week. Congrats on a beautiful guitar.
Tom_CA
Posted 2007-06-14 7:44 AM (#315235 - in reply to #315189)

Congratulations Mike! It's a very nice guitar.

Tom
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-06-14 8:46 AM (#315236 - in reply to #315189)

Mike - congrats! Next southern gathering there'll be at least two red Adamii in the lineup!

Mike
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-14 9:16 AM (#315237 - in reply to #315189)

Thanks everybody...yes, it feels good to be able to sit and play something you've waited a long time for...I'm finding out what makes Adamas guitars special...they are really different from wood body and top guitars...they have their own voice, and it can be soft or loud; soulful or full of angst...different fingerpicked or with a plectrum...and not in the same ways that a wood guitar responds...its a different world and one that I am sure will expand my musical horizons...I do plan to adjust the action latter today...stock is a little high for me...but thanks again for so much help and good wishes...I look forward to you all being aboe to play it at the nest tour or gathering...
Blessings...
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-14 9:17 AM (#315238 - in reply to #315189)

now if I can just learn to spell..... :eek:
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-06-14 9:26 AM (#315239 - in reply to #315189)

Nest time you should be aboe to spell better.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-06-14 10:24 AM (#315240 - in reply to #315189)

My Ute had 3 shims in it. Took out 2 without any noticeable change in volume (it has more than ample anyway). Sure plays easier, so I have fewer dead notes.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-14 11:16 AM (#315241 - in reply to #315189)

Thanks Mark...I'll try later in the day...
Jes: :D
Blessings...
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-14 11:25 AM (#315242 - in reply to #315189)

JAS- ;)
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-14 3:23 PM (#315243 - in reply to #315189)

Ok, since I have had a day now to come to my senses, and have had time to reflect, I need to say something to everyone out there reading this post: Under no circumstances should anyone do what I did with a brand new guitar: that’s what warranties are for. All of the impatience in the world does not justify doing what a warranty will do. It is very easy to mess a fine instrument up and make a small problem into a large one. We are fortunate to have one of the finest Warranty and Repair divisions of any Guitar Company...John and Co. are the best and will and do go out of their way to do more than is needed. That’s what they are there for and when inexperienced persons try to do something they are not qualified to do, well it can be disastrous and be very costly!
I respect the responsibility that is inherent with posting on this site. I ran a guitar repair business for over 10 years and have restored many very valuable vintage and high-end instruments; however those facts would not be known by someone who might see what I have been able to do and think, "Well, shucks, I can fix that myself". Please, call the Company; Take advantage of the fantastic Warranty and repair services offered, and respect the reasons I have tried to outline here. I would hate to be the cause of someone's botched repair job...and remember: even if it looks easy it isn't and that’s why not everybody does what the Mothership does! Enjoy, Play and Pick, and when needed, call the Mothership! ;)
Blessings...
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-06-14 3:35 PM (#315244 - in reply to #315189)

Mike - you have to look at it another way too. There are inherent dangers, costs and lost time in shipping a guitar both ways. A fix like the one you made should in no way void the warranty if there was nothing else wrong with the guitar. What you have is pretty much one of a kind. Personally, I think you did the right thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-14 3:45 PM (#315245 - in reply to #315189)

Mike; I agree, and thats why I am able to play this today...but I just thought I'd look out for those who really should not go there/do what I did...Just trying to be responsible (my mom would be so proud)... :rolleyes:
Blessings...
Woz
Posted 2007-06-14 4:12 PM (#315246 - in reply to #315189)

What a story... I just read this from front to back... Mystery, intrigue, shock, dismay, elation...

I'm glad it all worked out for you Mike.

Great find!

Woz
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-14 4:32 PM (#315247 - in reply to #315189)

Woz, you da man...Thanks my friend!
Blessings...
TexasDoc
Posted 2007-06-14 8:59 PM (#315248 - in reply to #315189)

I would have used either thick cyano or more likely a small bead of black silicone/RTV. Seems like it would seal better.

Glad it worked for you! Beautiful guitar!
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-14 11:22 PM (#315249 - in reply to #315189)

Yes, I used to use those when I had my guitar repair business...the problem with the thick cyano is it takes longer to cure without accellerant...and I had no room to work on bith surfaces at the same time; the black stuff I had none of and it was what failed from the factory...although the culprit was a thin layer of dust that had not been cleaned or wiped off the indide of the bowl before gluing...wiping with a tack cloth or acetone would have left a good foundation for the cyano; I did that before I applied a wide ribbon of cyano, clamped/used finger pressure to begin the cure and then used heat. The repair is solid and invisible.
I changed strings (to Elixir new Phosphor Bronze nanowebs 10-47) and removed one shim...it plays like butter now!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-06-15 12:13 AM (#315250 - in reply to #315189)

10-47's? Extra lights? Extra extra lights? Try 12-54's, lights. That guitar will be a canon...
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-15 6:52 AM (#315251 - in reply to #315189)

Thanks Moody, I'll give it a shot, although it really sounds great now...but hey, I'll try it...Mikie may like it... ;)
Blessings...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-06-15 9:21 AM (#315252 - in reply to #315189)

Mike, after years of being macho and using mediums, 13-56, on most of my guitars, I went to lights. Real good tone and very playable.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-15 9:32 AM (#315253 - in reply to #315189)

Thanks Moody and I appreciate it; I'll get a set and give it a try..certainly makes makes sense...I wanted to change the strings that were on it (who knows how many played it at the store and I removed the one shim...action is now perfect for me and these were what I had available...I do like the sound of the new phosphor bronze nano Elixirs. I look forward to you and others being able to see and play this guitar...I think you'll be impressed...of course with an OFC, maybe not as much as me but its a sweet guitar...I hope to have good weather today to take some outdoor pic's; if I do I'll post them...
Blessings...
Blessings
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-15 1:45 PM (#315254 - in reply to #315189)

Here is my Fathers day present: Fathers Day Present
Not the best weather for pic's but the sun did come out and I got a few. What an awesome guitar...TYJ :rolleyes:
Blessings...and happy Father's Day all!
Hillwalker
Posted 2007-06-15 2:03 PM (#315255 - in reply to #315189)

Nice nice guitar there Mike. Well done. That's another nice acquisition there. Looks from the pics that your back garden must be half of Virginia? ;) That's a LOT of lawn to mow!

HW
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-06-15 2:04 PM (#315256 - in reply to #315189)

Beautiful guitar! Of course I'm impressed. What's really great is how much you love it already. And what will be really impressive will be hearing you play it next year in CT.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-15 4:28 PM (#315257 - in reply to #315189)

Thanks all...and Moody, I appreciate your complements...Yes, I am planning on CT in Spring 08...and Yes, I do like my Ovation instruments. I have played and owned just about every other brand and style made over the 40+ years I've been playing (literally several hundred) and sI own a few wonderful guitars today...but the consistency that Ovation (and now Adamas) has given me over the course of nearly 31 years is nothing short of fantastic...I proudly recommend them to everyone and am very grateful for the ones I own...I am very proud to be associated with this company as a owner/player...no other Guitar Company even comes close...
Blessings...
:D
Oddball
Posted 2007-06-15 7:50 PM (#315258 - in reply to #315189)

A bit off subject, but that's the first pickguard I've ever seen on anything Ovation related. Wonder why they did it there? Wonder why they don't do it more?
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-06-15 8:18 PM (#315259 - in reply to #315189)

Originally posted by MusicMishka:
Here is my Fathers day present: Fathers Day Present
Whoa Nellie!
Beggin
Posted 2007-06-15 10:00 PM (#315260 - in reply to #315189)

Music. can I be yo Daddy?! :p ;) :D
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-16 12:44 AM (#315261 - in reply to #315189)

:D ;) :D
Dr.Tom
Posted 2007-06-16 10:08 AM (#315262 - in reply to #315189)

MusicMishka,

What a great guitar and what a story ;especially with such a happy ending (or beginning).

The guitar is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing the story and all of the pictures. Please give us tone and playability updates as you spend more time with it.

Regards,

Tom
Tupperware
Posted 2007-06-16 3:55 PM (#315263 - in reply to #315189)

69 1115-1,82 C,87 C-5,89 TS-01-5,90 1758-1,91 1758-6P,07 1687-2 NAAM CS,
97 G.LPC3pu NAMM,05 F.EJ Strat,06 F.Esq 60th,66 F.Vill.12,'31/'61 Harmony's
06 T.810 FLtd MRW,98 T.615 BRZRW,98T.W-65 CWal,00 T.Baby Mah

One of the more interesting signature lines I've seen. I have no idea what it all means. I think I recognize "Strat". Maybe. Looks like the scribble on Tony-Da-G's note pad when I placed my superbowl wager in the back room of Carmines Barber Shop.

Dave
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-16 7:52 PM (#315264 - in reply to #315189)

Dave, It's code...It can mean whatever you want it to...But I wouldn't know about the backroom...I don't bet...
Blessings...
Tupperware
Posted 2007-06-16 11:22 PM (#315265 - in reply to #315189)

Now I get it ...

'69 pacemaker
'82 collector
'87 collector black
'89 t-bolt snake
'90 elite 12 black
'91 elite 12 pearl
'07 adamas 1687 red
'97 gibson LP custom 3 pickup
'05 fender eric johnson strat
'06 fender esquire 60th reissue
'66 fender villager 12
'31 and '61 harmony
'06 taylor 810 limited
'98 taylor 615 braz rosewood
'98 taylor w-65 walnut
'00 taylor baby mahogany

How'd I do ???
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-17 7:24 AM (#315266 - in reply to #315189)

Congrats Dave, You've cracked the code...and you are very close...(see list below) your check is in the mail... :D ;)
Hey, my friend, have a good Fathers day weekend...I appreciate ya.

My Guitars:
'69 pacemaker SB
'82 collector blueburst
'87 collector black
'89 t-bolt snake black
'90 elite 12 SB
'91 elite 12 white pearl
'07 adamas 1687 red namm custom shop
'97 gibson LP custom 3 pickup sb one off namm
'05 fender eric johnson strat white blond
'06 fender esquire 60th reissue blonde
'66 fender villager 12
'31 and '61 harmony f-holes
'06 taylor 810 fall limited
'98 taylor 615 presentation braz rosewood
'98 taylor w-65 walnut
'00 taylor baby mahogany

Hard to fit everything in with a limit of only so many charecters...But I can only play one at a time anyway...lol
Blessings...
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-27 10:09 PM (#315267 - in reply to #315189)

Just thought I'd post an update: I got an email from the dealer...my Gibson arrived and was sold in two days to a collector in England...so it certainly has done its share of traveling...and one other thing: My Adamas does have a hand laid bowl...which is what I originally thought...it is just a wonderful guitar...I haven't had a chance to get another set of strings as Moody suggested but I will soon. For now, I am just so impressed at the quality of the sound from this instrument...I have a/b'd it with all of my other Ovations...nothing else really comes close. The bass is so pronounced and the volume is really noticeably greater...the neck just feels good in my hand and it plays effortlessly...It is a really fine guitar and I am proud and humbled to own it. I must admit to taking it out late at night and staring at it all over again...I have not had a guitar that I have appreciated as much as this in a long time...I'll post an update when I change the strings...
Blessings...
:rolleyes:
edensharvest
Posted 2007-06-28 2:56 AM (#315268 - in reply to #315189)

Congrats, man - that looks awesome. You're starting to rival Tup now for quantity and quality of instruments...better be careful! ;)

By the way, and at the risk of attracting rotten tomatoes...how do you like that W-65?
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-28 6:30 AM (#315269 - in reply to #315189)

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate the complements...I'll concede to Dave for the most and nicest...he has some awesome instruments...and he wouldn't want to be seen with Taylor’s (and that’s cool)...speaking of which the W-65 is an incredible guitar...mine is a 1998, one of the originals and the ones to have in my opinion...I refer to it as the Steinway of 12 strings...it has a wonderful balanced sound and the Claro Walnut Top, Back and sides are unreal...fabulous grain and flame...this was when Taylor was still using rich abalone trim and ivoroid purfling...and the Byzantine inlays are fantastic and very rich looking...much better than the later ones after 2000. I also like the one piece neck...I am not a fan of the two piece neck Taylor uses now although I do have a 2006 Fall limited 810 in Madagascar Rosewood that is a very fine instrument as well...I use it in worship every week…it has the expression system and it sounds fantastic...although I am using my Adamas with the Op Pro now so it may get a rest...I don't understand the rap Taylor’s get from some...its their opinions so its cool but for me, I don't care about the politics...I just know and care about what looks and sounds great...and all of the instruments I own do that for me...that’s what counts...I play Ovations and now own an Adamas...to me its the culmination of 31 years of using a brand that is second to none in utility and ability to get in the trenches and maintain both sound and durability...I am having a 1688 built later this year...after playing Woz's at the tour this year: it should be the Bösendorfer of all 12's...and the crown in my guitar collection...I am really looking forward to that. Thanks for your question Andrew...
Blessings...
;)
Beggin
Posted 2007-06-28 9:04 AM (#315270 - in reply to #315189)

Music, I think you need a new trailer to hookup to the 'ol Explorer, so that you can haul that crowd o guitars around. There is NO MORE ROOM in the Explorer. I have witnesses! :p
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2007-06-28 9:08 AM (#315271 - in reply to #315189)

Mike, I agree on what you say about Taylors. In my opinion the expression system is superior to the Ovation electronics when playing solo (I do that quite often in worship). Playing with the band there's nothing better than my Adamas 1687 with OP-24. Very assertive, you can hear the Adamas where other guitars dissapear in the sound.

Karl
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-28 9:19 AM (#315272 - in reply to #315189)

Jim: Yep, all too true: here is my new ride:
Charlie: I agree...so does my congregation...so many complements on the Expression System 810...The -2 1687 may be a bit bling for the 11am crowd...you know: red=Satan? well, who knows, I like it anyway... :D
Blessings...
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2007-06-28 12:11 PM (#315273 - in reply to #315189)

Mike,
you need a green one as this is the color of hope :rolleyes:

Karl
cruster
Posted 2007-06-28 12:16 PM (#315274 - in reply to #315189)

Originally posted by Charlie Ramon:
Mike,
you need a green one as this is the color of hope :rolleyes:

Karl
Auch es ist die farbe geldes. Heh. :p :)
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2007-06-28 2:41 PM (#315275 - in reply to #315189)

Right, bucks are green as well ;)

It's my omnipresent hope to have enough bucks for buying guitars I really need.

Karl
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-28 2:49 PM (#315276 - in reply to #315189)

Green reverse burst??? Hmmmmmmm.....dunno....let me think....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...NO! Let 'em deal with it! lol...
Blessings... :eek: :cool:
giuseppe
Posted 2007-06-28 5:48 PM (#315277 - in reply to #315189)

Green is great!....environmentally correct! ;)

Pink would be interesting too! :D
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-28 10:05 PM (#315278 - in reply to #315189)

Al? :confused:
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-06-28 10:20 PM (#315279 - in reply to #315189)

I just found this on the bay earlier this afternoon and decided to buy it: it's an original Adamas Brochure from the 1977 NAAM show; when I saw the cover, there was my guitar (abet mine is thirty years later) so I thought it would be a great addition...

BTW, he has one left...mint condition... 1977 Adamas Brochure
Blessings...