Delaware Gets the Big O
skip77
Posted 2007-07-06 6:03 PM (#314161)
Subject: Delaware Gets the Big O

OFC friends,
My baptism with Ovation guitars began today when the 1711 Balladeer, sold to me by Scott Lytle, arrived. Thanks Scott! He had relieved tension on the strings and so I allowed the guitar to acclimate a half hour or so before tuning - that's about the most I could bear to wait! The guitar is heavier than any of my acoustics. Scott has it set it up quite nicely with good action. Tone quality is just what I had hoped – rich and deep. I can tell it’s going to be an excellent leg of my journey and I’m delighted to begin this segment with such a fine example of Ovation guitars. Scott – thanks for the nice note. Providence makes the guitar even more special. I salute you, Sir. And so it begins..

A word on the Ovation rosette, that I started a string on elsewhere. I’m surprised to find that it is not just a stick-on as I had expected. It’s a serious piece of acrylic type plastic, not unlike a pickguard. I wonder if that was one of the orginial design considerations – make the rosette serve to protect the area around the soundhole, like a pick guard? Interesting.

Oh yeah this is going to be sweet. Thanks again Scott.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Norseman1
Posted 2007-07-06 7:34 PM (#314162 - in reply to #314161)
Subject: Re: Delaware Gets the Big O

Enjoy Skip..she is a great guitar. By the way, I had the guitar set up professionally about four? years ago...the action hasn't changed a bit. I use medium gauge D'Addario EXP's but there is plenty of adjustment left if you want to go with lighter strings and tighter action.

If you haven't plugged in yet, you are in for a treat...the harmonics are beautiful...she sounds heavenly when you fingerpick, and there is no buzzing if you want to strum agressively.

Glad all worked out!

Peace,

Norse(and I'll let you know when the check gets here Skip)man1
Northcountry
Posted 2007-07-06 7:36 PM (#314163 - in reply to #314161)

you'll be wearing grass skirts and the optional coconuts very soon! You'll see.
Randy
skip77
Posted 2007-07-06 8:33 PM (#314164 - in reply to #314161)

Scott - thanks for the surpise package in the case storage compartment: Minnesota T-shirt, post cards, some nice pins and a nifty pick. The more I play the 1711 the more I notice the sound quality being different from my existing guitars. For anyone that is interested, you can see my guitars and hear a couple clips from a beginner workin' an E chord at www.mytowntennis.com/guitar.htm Note that I have no recording equipment etc - clips were simply picked up via computer mic. Eventually, I'll add clips from all my guitars.

Scott, I thank you again Sir. Nice guitar and I hope to enjoy it a long time. I have my other guitars set up with heavy guage strings - I don't want to risk stressing the soundboard on the 1711 too much - do you think I should withhold from changing strings to heavy gauge?
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-07-07 7:25 AM (#314165 - in reply to #314161)

Skip, I really don't think you need to go any heavier than 12's on that guitar for sound anyway. I don't know if you would pick up any more sound or quality going heavier than that. And, if you go heavier, you will probably have to deal with the setup.
skip77
Posted 2007-07-07 9:18 AM (#314166 - in reply to #314161)

Thanks Jim. My reason for preferring heavy gauge is comfort but your points are well taken.

I'd like to add that I'm very impressed with finish and workmanship on the Ovation 1711. Very well crafted. Fretboard is pristine and smooth as silk. Nut/Saddle are finely made. All other details are immaculate. Nice instrument. I'm enjoying getting to know it. I'm a finger picker/classical style player, although in learning infancy. The Balladeer has a deep, rich voice for acoustic finger picking, which will more than likely be my only use. I have no electronic equipment, amp etc and do not plan to get any. More later..
Norseman1
Posted 2007-07-07 10:28 AM (#314167 - in reply to #314161)

I love finger picking as well Skip, but you are missing out on a whole world of acoustical possibilities and quite frankly perhaps one of the greatest qualities of a good Ovation...it's plugged in sound. If you could pick up a small "acoustical" amp on ebay or somewhere else, you will not be dissapointed! I personally use a CA60 (Crate-Acoustical 60 amp) for around the house, and if I really need some beef, I run it through a CA250 I picked up on the bayt a few years back. Even a CA-30 or a Fender Acoustonics 30 amp would be great fo playing at homeor smal venues.

Think about it...the OP24 set up on the Balladeer sounds awesome. I think you will be happy you did. Look for an acoustical amp though, as it will bring out the true sound/balance of this guitar much more effectively than an electric guitar amp.

Good Luck..and Happy Pickin! It does my heart good to hear how much you are enjoying the guitar!

Norse(plug her in and let her shine)man1
skip77
Posted 2007-07-07 10:48 PM (#314168 - in reply to #314161)

Scott, thanks for the advice. I will do as you suggested and pick up a small amp in ebay. I can't use much power anyway because I'm in an apartment and the neighbors would have a fit - trust me, they already hear my strumming. I like the little mini-Marshalls although I don't know if they would work for acoustic per your discussion. I'll keep an eye out. I thought about the little amp that Esteban sells and see some of them in ebay going for a reasonable price. I presume they are ok for acoustic and on tv they sound pretty darn good. Thanks again Scott. Did payment arrive yet?
seesquare
Posted 2007-07-08 9:58 AM (#314169 - in reply to #314161)

I picked up a Rogue RA200 acoustic amp a coupla years ago, and am very happy with it. SWMBO is the only one who hears it, and so it has not been "over-extended".
skip77
Posted 2007-07-08 7:10 PM (#314170 - in reply to #314161)

Thanks seesquare - not sure what SWMBO means but I'll keep an eye out for that amp as a possible choice. Thanks again!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-07-08 7:43 PM (#314171 - in reply to #314161)

She who must be obeyed.