Sticky How to resize, upload and post pictures.
Waskel
Posted 2008-02-28 1:40 PM (#306579)
Subject: How to resize, upload and post pictures.

Q: How do I resize pictures?

A: There are several ways to do this. You can download the Image Resizer , a nice utility that integrates with Explorer. Lately I've also been using VSO Image Resizer , a nice free utility that also integrates with Explorer.
You can also use Paint(Image,Stretch/Skew), Photoshop, or just about any image software. Depending on your email client, you can use it's auto-resizing function and mail them to yourself.

The below information is no longer valid, it's from the old website.

[b]Q: How do I upload pictures to my Photo Gallery?

A:
1. Click on "Member Access" at the top of your screen.
2. Click on "Photo Gallery".
3. Click on "Gallery Utility for (your name here)".
4. Click on "Upload Photo".
5. Fill in the fields.
6. Pick the photo you want to upload (When you click "browse" you are looking at the files on YOUR computer).
7. Click "Upload".
NOTE: File size is limited to 100k. Larger images will be rejected. Maximum pixel width is 500. Images wider than 500 pixels and smaller than 100k in size will be resized during upload.

Q: How do I post pictures in a thread?

A: The image needs to be hosted somewhere on the internet. Your OFC photo gallery qualifies, once you've successfully uploaded your photo (do not use the sample displayed when your upload completes, actually GO to your album and use the one there).

1. Right click on the image you wish to post (if it's in your gallery, make sure you click on the full size picture, not the thumbnail), choose 'copy image location'.
2. In the position in your post where you wish to place the image, type
[code][/code](If using 'Full Reply Form" you can position the cursor and click on the "Image" button, then paste the image location in the box. This will insert the for you)
A correctly entered image link would read:
[code][/code]and look like this in your post:

Q: How do I get the location of an image in my gallery?
A:
1. Go to your gallery.
2. Click on the thumbnail of the picture you want to post.
3. Right-click on the large version, choose "Copy Image Location".

Q: How do I post a link to another site or page?

A:
1. Find the page you want to link to. Highlight the entire address in the address bar, right click and choose "copy". (If copying from an existing link, right click on the link and choose "Copy link location".

If using the "Full Reply" page:
2. Position the cursor in your post where you want the link to appear. Click the "URL" button, right click where you see "http://" and choose "paste", click ok. Enter a description for the link and click ok. The link should be inserted in your post.

If using the "Quick Reply" box:
2. Position the cursor in your post where you want the link to appear. Enter the link using this form (note the locations of the brackets):
[code](your description or title of the link)[/code].
When entered correctly, the line should look like this:
[code]Check out the Ovation Fan Club![/code]and should appear in your post like this:
Check out the Ovation Fan Club!

Disclaimer: These instructions are from the perspective of someone using Win XP and the Firefox browser. If you're a Mac user (not that there's anything wrong with that) or use IE, YMMV.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dvd
Posted 2008-02-28 2:06 PM (#306580 - in reply to #306579)
Subject: Re: How to resize, upload and post pictures.

Followup for Mac Users:

Q: How do I resize pictures?

A: With Leopard (10.5.x) you can resize using the built in Preview application. Tools -> Adjust size... Also, in the Save As dialog, you can dial the image quality up or down to keep the image under 100K.

With iPhoto, select the picture(s) and choose File -> Export. In the File Export window, you can adjust the image dimensions. It's often necessary to then dial back the quality of the JPG using Preview as above.

If you are running an earlier release of OS X, ImageWell is free and does a good job with resizing images.

Q: Anything else I should know?

A: Nope, uploading via Safari or Firefox should work as advertised.

For filenames, I recommend sticking to letters, numbers, dashes, underscores, and dots to cut down on confusion. Some characters will be accepted by the gallery application but are not legal when posted to the forums as a URL.
Top of the page Bottom of the page