Al had his rant, now it's my turn
gh1
Posted 2006-12-22 6:59 PM (#225371)
Subject: Al had his rant, now it's my turn

So I’m braving the frustration of x-mass traffic and crowded stores to pick up an HDMI cable at Best Buy. Obviously I’m out of the loop because when I get there I find a crowd of people kind of huddled in an ill formed mass in the console gaming section of the store. Not browsing the isles, just kind of hanging out in a loose blob.

I’m thinking what the heck!? Anyway I’ve about made up my mind and ready to leave when the blob kind of comes to life – in a frenzied kind of way. There is a cart coming from the storage area loaded with all the same kind of box. This quivering mass starts to break ranks and storm the cart, paying no heed to the poor high school aged attendant’s pleas. Boxes start getting pulled from the cart. OK good enough for a laugh until I witnessed the following.

Some white trash, fat assed, self-censored four letter expletive, in her panicked waddle to the cart, knocks a 4 year old girl to the ground. I hear her head hit the linoleum floor and her screams ensue. Her dad picks her up, blood streaming from her nose, and tries to comfort her. The woman doesn’t even look back until she has one of the boxes in hand. When she does look it is with mean hearted DISDAIN.

I swear, I’m a progressive by nature. Meaning that I believe we, as a sentient species have the capacity to progress. To bring into the world a better place for all mankind. Crap like this rears the Hobbesian creature in me and sets me back a decade or more.

Merry f’n Christmas! I’m going to get drunk

_____
gh1
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-22 7:09 PM (#225372 - in reply to #225371)
Subject: Re: Al had his rant, now it's my turn

I have contended for quite some time that western society is less than three meals from total chaos at any given moment.

A 'holier than thou' relative tells me I'm a cynic and jaded.

I point out the chaos and mayhem in New Orleans after Katrina. She rebutts to the effect that those were poor black people and it would be different here in civilized Canada. I ignore the inferred racism.

Then we had a little rain last month. The water in Vancouver got a little muddy and people stormed the stores and knocked each other over to buy bottled water to ensure they would have water to drink...WHILE IT"S POURING RAIN!

I changed my mind.

We're only one coffee break from the total breakdown of civilization. Merry Christmas and God help us. Every one.

Pass the scotch.
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-22 7:17 PM (#225373 - in reply to #225371)

Triple D,
John Horsey already said it for you.

I had Waskel's CD, Rest, playing in my truck as I started my Xmas shopping today.

It helped...
Waskel
Posted 2006-12-22 7:42 PM (#225374 - in reply to #225371)

Very glad I could be of some help, Michael.

Wait. You started today? You still had 2 full shopping days to put it off!
MWoody
Posted 2006-12-22 7:45 PM (#225375 - in reply to #225371)

I know, I am so ashamed...
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-22 7:53 PM (#225376 - in reply to #225371)

I always finish early. This year mid November. One year I was finished before the end of March. It helps to have one closet (lockable) in the house dedicated to presents only.

I still like to go down to London Drugs at 6PM on the 24th and just hang out with the guys.
seesquare
Posted 2006-12-22 8:06 PM (#225377 - in reply to #225371)

Yeah, I remember 9:00 PM, Christmas Eve, at the old Thrifty Drug store. I'm about 14, and had just seen A Christmas Carol, circa 1934 I think, on the tele. Kinda resembled the "ragpickers" scene in the movie. Now, the reason I witnessed this is for another time & place. Maybe Father's Day, if ya catch the drift.
Have a good one, Ladies & Gentlemen.
Yak
Posted 2006-12-22 9:34 PM (#225378 - in reply to #225371)

Another reason to buy on-line... Don't have to see, hear or smell trash like that.

So what did the girls Dad do about the situation? Did he just allow that to happen?
fillhixx
Posted 2006-12-22 9:37 PM (#225379 - in reply to #225371)

....and the Auchentoshan (please don't make me try and say it) is working just fine. The world is a much better place now.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2006-12-22 9:40 PM (#225380 - in reply to #225371)

She should have been arrested for assault...

I just got home from WalMart and your description fits at least 1/2 the people in the store.. very scary.
gh1
Posted 2006-12-22 11:24 PM (#225381 - in reply to #225371)

Originally posted by Yak:
Another reason to buy on-line... Don't have to see, hear or smell trash like that.

So what did the girls Dad do about the situation? Did he just allow that to happen?
He was too busy tending to his daughter, to worry about that cretin. I checked with them and she just got a bloody nose and a goose egg on her forehead -- looked like she was going to be ok. As a kicker to the ordeal, he didn't get one of the gizmos he was waiting for -- they were all gone by the time he comforted his daughter.

figures, huh?

_____
gh1
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-12-23 1:00 AM (#225382 - in reply to #225371)

Conspiracy theory- There will be plenty of those Gizmos after Christmas.

gh1- I passed around Washington Square Mall last week. Around, because I started to walk through it, and it was nuts!! So I walked around.

Am I getting old? Or is it the world? Cuz my parents woulda kicked my young ass if I acted the way I see some of these people.
(My Mom would rap-me-up-aside-my-head now! if I acted that way.)
Commom Courtesy ain't that common now.
wess
Posted 2006-12-23 9:42 AM (#225383 - in reply to #225371)

knocks a 4 year old girl to the ground. I hear her head hit the linoleum floor and her screams ensue. Her dad picks her up, blood streaming from her nose,
-------------------------------------------------

can you say " bitch going home with a ass whipping" pardon the french ! MY GOD!... if that had been my little girl the wife would have to sell the legend to pay my jail bond. !!!!
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2006-12-23 11:36 AM (#225384 - in reply to #225371)

My cell phone takes pictures; I would have snapped one of the woman, one of the injured child, followed her and snapped one of her license plate to try to ID her, and then contacted police. Seriously. Our resident legal beagles would know if it would be admissible evidence or not. If the lady had been apologetic, that would have been one thing, but....
My common sense also tells me that items likely to cause a riot should be distributed with a counter between the populace and item. I well remember the Cabbage Patch doll debacles of the early 80's.

--Karen
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-12-23 2:23 PM (#225385 - in reply to #225371)

Originally posted by CrimsonLake:
She should have been arrested for assault...
If that had been my boy, I would have been the one being arrested. (and an ambulance for the other one.) But, Jewels mom has it right, I just don't think I would respond in that dirrection at the time.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-12-23 2:40 PM (#225386 - in reply to #225371)

Every year, I have a tradition of picking a Mall, and doing the majority of my shopping the day or so before Christmas depending on when it falls. I'm going a couple of days early this year (today), cause I'm not sure of the area yet.

Basically I hate shopping. Any "important" gifts were bought months ago, so this trip is the fun stuff, the stocking stuff and extra things to go under the multi-tasking Chanukah Bush / Christmas Tree. The reason for this tradition? I hate shopping and by doing it on the day before I am provided with entertainment at every turn. Kids running and screaming, parents with dazed mindless looks. It's surreal and I love it. It's my yearly treat to me.