Looking for Ovation purchase advice
PeterD
Posted 2003-12-10 12:27 AM (#199699)
Subject: Looking for Ovation purchase advice

I fell in love with Ovations when a friend had one 25 years ago in my first guitar class. So now I'm looking at buying a used Ovation, but I'm confused by all the different models over the years.

I'm not a serious player, I just play a bit at church. I want to plug it in, but if it isn't plugged in I want it loud enough to be heard in a large group.

I like the looks and prices of the Celebrity Deluxe model, but how much better is the multi hole design over the standard single hole in the regular Celebrities?

Also, how much difference does the bowl depth really make? I can find deep bowl Celebrities every so often on ebay, but haven't seen a deep bowl C. Deluxe.

Does someone have some recommendations and are there some models I should avoid?

After reading some of the other postings, I feel like my questions are simple amateur stuff. But I don't know who else to ask! :o
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-10 5:50 AM (#199700 - in reply to #199699)
Subject: Re: Looking for Ovation purchase advice

It depends on how much money you are willing to spend. I think something like a S771 Balladeer (which is mid-depth bowl) would be right for you if you are willing to spend that much. It appears you're focused on the Celebrities, so let's talk those models.

In my opinion, the best sounding Celebrity is actually the CC01 deep-bowl, but unfortunately, it does not have electronics. I think the important thing is to get a mid-bowl model. I've played Celebrities both with the center sound hole and the multi-sound holes, and I feel there is no significant difference in sound quality. I've found more variance between individual guitars of the same model.

For that reason, I would suggest a CC026 Celebrity--it is mid-bowl and has electronics. If possible, look at music shops until you find one you like the sound of, guitars do vary.

I'd stay away from the shallow-bowl Celebrites, I've never played one I liked for sound.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-10 7:48 AM (#199701 - in reply to #199699)
Subject: Re: Looking for Ovation purchase advice

Hi! Welcome!

I agree with Roger aout the S771 Balladeer. I have one (see the pics in the Member's Photo albums) and I truly LOVE IT! I also play in Church and Elder Care Music Ministry and find the Balladeer fulfils EVERY NEED. I play it through my small old Rickenbacher studio amp and it will cut through anything that's being played.

The quality is very good and I couldn't be more pleased with having made that choice! It is serving me VERY WELL and I would buy another one if my wife wouldn't give me "the look"!

I actually bought my Balladeer 6751 12-string first and loved it so much that I went down to the G.C. (I didn't know Al then) and bought the S771.

Contact Al (alpep@aol.com) he is truly a gem (don't tell him said that) and he can make a good deal with you. I acquired my 2001 Collector's Redwood Top from him.

As for Celebrities, there have been many postings regarding the quality differences between the Korean made guitars and the USA models (do a search)and what I do find is that the majority favor the USA Models.

tim