Ovation changes
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-29 3:12 PM (#198867)
Subject: Ovation changes

I'm a new owner of an MM68 mando USA made and so am just getting adjusted to an instrument not all beautiful flamed/curly wood, which I love. The MM68 has won me over! Lyracord or whatever, I don't care. Ovation can use modern cnc methods and newer materials as far as I'm concerned so long as the tone/sound is there. Progress is here to stay! I say don't be afraid to use whatever it takes to make an affordable terrific sounding instrument. Graphite is a wonderful material and we are seeing more and more of it everywhere. I'm sure we will shortly see a quality guitar of all synthetics such as graphite, plastics, metal alloys, etc.. It can look like wood and sound like wood. Go for it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-29 8:20 PM (#198868 - in reply to #198867)
Subject: Re: Ovation changes

Shortly? 70-odd years ago the Dopera brothers started making guitars out of metal. Mario Macaferri was making reasonable-sounding injection-molded plastic guitars in the 1950's. Apart from Ovation's "Q" project there are already a number of companies, including Rainsong, CA, Chrysalys & Emerald who have acoustic guitars in production and available to the public which are made entirely from carbon-composites and synthetics. There is a UK University which has had a polymer-based acoustic guitar in development for several years. Martin are making guitars from Formica & using Aluminium sheet for tops on some models. They've also started using Carbon tops. I wonder where they got that idea from? Granted, a non-wood instrument has to sound good to be accepted, but attempting to make them "look & sound like wood" is not only unneccesary in my view, but may also be missing the point a little
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-29 11:42 PM (#198869 - in reply to #198867)

I should have thought out my post a little better than I did. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the acceptance of modern manufacturing methods has long been resisted by purists of the old ways. Myself included. The Ovation is giving me an education!
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-30 1:43 AM (#198870 - in reply to #198867)

I guess that ends the overused phrase. "knock on wood".
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-30 2:44 PM (#198871 - in reply to #198867)

Bailey

OK, you got me, where did it come from? Geeezzzz, am I going to be saying "Knock on graphite"?