Any suggestions for extra light strings?
Gary L.
Posted 2004-01-19 8:45 AM (#197018)
Subject: Any suggestions for extra light strings?

I selected my Celebrity CC0026 for the ease of playing as well as the superior tone.

I learned to play on an old '65 Fender Duo-Sonic II, which was really intended as a student guitar, hence it has a short scale, small diameter neck, for those small hands to get around.

The Celebrity has a similar neck, and feels really easy to play.

These old hands aren't what they used to be, though, and I have switched to lighter gauge strings, .11 to .52.

I'd be willing to go a little lighter to help with the finger fatigue, any suggestions for brands or gauge would be most appreciated....

Thanks!

-Gary L.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-19 10:24 AM (#197019 - in reply to #197018)
Subject: Re: Any suggestions for extra light strings?

Gary, I'm in the same place....I use either D'Addario .010s or .011s or Martin SP, same gauges, in Phosphor Bronze. The Martins may sound a touch better, IMHO. I've heard some other people locally who play Ovations say that they think Martin strings sound best on Ovations. But this is a very personal choice.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-19 10:37 AM (#197020 - in reply to #197018)

I like light strings also. After many tries, I like the Martin Marquis Extra light. As stated elsewhere, it seems like every one has a different favorite. But....if you want to benifit from my many experiments, try the Martins.
Brad
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-19 10:46 AM (#197021 - in reply to #197018)

For ease of playing - I can really tell when I haven't practiced - it takes a lot to build up good fingertip pads. Going back and forth from an electric with lighter strings(if I read it right)can be hard as well. For me I have to practice routinely for about three-four weeks to get my fingertips where they should be; no finger prints.
I wouldn't go to smaller gage strings - I'd go to more work out and practice time.

I also saw a small plastic gadget that simulates a fretboard with strings and I think it acts as a key chain as well. You can drive people nuts by going through first position chords and scales while they talk to you. ;)
Here it is:
MF Callus Builder
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-19 1:16 PM (#197022 - in reply to #197018)

HAd never seen one of these before. Thanks for the info.
Norseman1
Posted 2004-01-19 1:24 PM (#197023 - in reply to #197018)

I have never found a set of extra lights that I like,at least on a 12 string. I wasted a lot of money trying different ones, but they all sound too "strummy" if you know what I mean. Seems to me if you go X-light, might as well go cheap, and although I prefer phosphorous Bronze by far to 80/20's in mediums, the phosphorous sound even thinner or strummy than the 80/20's in the extralighht gauge. But that's just my humble, and somewhat limited experienced opinion.

Norse(do what it takes to stick with mediums, you reach a point of diminished returns real quick with the XL's)man1
Gary L.
Posted 2004-01-20 6:38 AM (#197024 - in reply to #197018)

Thanks for all the good advice, Gentlemen!

I have used the D'Addarios before, and picked up a set each of the Martin SP and Marquis strings suggested.

Some good points were made about more practice time to build strength, this MAY be part of the problem, I just find that the hands get tired after too short of a time playing... I hope I am not getting arthritis or anything, that would break my heart.

I have never seen the callous builder keychain device before - though I don't think that callouses are my problem, It's my thumb that seems to get so tired...

I have tried various thumb positions to avoid fatigue, but it still seems like I should be able to play longer without my left hand getting so tired..

The guitar seems to be adjusted well, as far as string height goes....

The C0026 is not an expensive model, I might have to move up to get something easier to play.. You DO get what you pay for...

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a set of Martin SP on there now, I'll let you know how I do.

-Gary L.
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-01-20 6:00 PM (#197025 - in reply to #197018)

The light strings are much easier to start with for sure, in my case I am dealing with joints that are not up to the heavier stuff... Dang it!
I have worked up to the med. lights, but it looks like that is about as heavy as I might get to go...
To play around with different weight strings get fairly expensive, so an inexpensive source is helpful, if for no other reason to play with the weights and phosphorous vs. 80/20...
You might check out WebStrings, and see what you think. They have excellent service... It makes changing strings "just to find out" a little easier...

Dale
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-21 7:31 AM (#197026 - in reply to #197018)

I just like the sound that light strings give.
Brad