LX sighting and update
playadamas
Posted 2004-04-20 5:15 PM (#189487)
Subject: LX sighting and update

Went to GC (Hollywood) yesterday with a friend. They rearranged the whole place (Acoustic department) - Martins are now out in the general area; Ovation and Taylor accupied the same medium size room; the inner most room (used to be high end nylon) now housed cheapest ones - go figure!

There were one Balladeer LX, Elite T, MOB, Legend (used), Anniverary (used) and a bunch of Celebacies. A yound guy played the LX, and took a new one home! I wanted to congratulate him and tell him about OFC but he was gone already.

I put a set of new Elixir .012 (bill to P. Temp.) and added two shims to the Legend LX from the OFC tour. It's now 50% better sounding, better projection, no buzzing and beter clarity. When I change string next time, I'll put another shim in to bring out the sweet spots above 12th fret.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-04-20 9:11 PM (#189488 - in reply to #189487)
Subject: Re: LX sighting and update

You caught my attention with putting in the shims on your LX. When I got my LX, I adjusted the neck slightly to improve the action. How's your action? I always shoot for smooth action, without the buzz, you know perfect. I also put on Elxir Strings .12 as soon as I got it. The other day I tried on D'Addario coated strings and they sounded dead, even worse than my the old Elxirs. I've found it easier to make slight adjustments on the neck, rather than mess with the shims, under the bridge.
Tommy M.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-04-20 9:23 PM (#189489 - in reply to #189487)

Tommy, I had the same problem you had with the D'Addario coated strings. I always use Elixer nano-webs, but I have had a hard time finding them here lately. They have become very popular, and the stores sell out quickly. There are alot of packs of the Poly-web, but the nano-web is hard to get. The D'Addario coated strings sounded good when I first put them on, but after a weekend of playing in church, all the wound strings are dead. I mean they go thump when you strike the string. I gota get the Elixers back on my Legend LX. It is to good of a guitar for such crappy strings! :eek:
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-04-20 10:21 PM (#189490 - in reply to #189487)

Paul you'll grt no argument from me on Elxir nano's for the LX. I've always feld that Ovation or any quality guitar maker would do better in sales if they put Elxir strings on their guitars. You just have to go the the local music store and pick one up to realize how much a difference these strings make. I thought I'd save a few bucks with the D'Addario coated strings. Boy was I wrong.
Tommy
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-04-20 10:37 PM (#189491 - in reply to #189487)

Tommy, there is the guy I know here that makes beautiful guitars. I took my Legend LX to him and he cut the nut slots down for me. What a difference that made. I found the action at the nut high on my LX and so did he. Now it plays so nice and easy. It's funny what a few little adjustments can do, and I am lucky to know someone that does them well. What really made me happy was how impressed he was with the sound of the Legend LX. This is a guy who loves all wood guitars, and the LX more than held it's own with his guitars.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-04-20 10:47 PM (#189492 - in reply to #189487)

Michael:

I got up to the GC in Hollywood today. The Balladeer LX was there and the strings sounded half dead. Not a good thing.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-04-20 11:20 PM (#189493 - in reply to #189487)

The Hollywood P.I. :eek:

Is it coming out as a serial or mini-series.

He gets his guys (and dolls) in 3/4 time...
dcrunner
Posted 2004-04-20 11:31 PM (#189494 - in reply to #189487)

Ive never played with elixir nanoweb strings before. How are they different from polyweb? I use polyweb custom lights, and also want to know how the string gauge affects the sound (ive never really experimented with different strings.)
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-04-21 12:14 AM (#189495 - in reply to #189487)

Elixer nano-web strings have a much thinner coating than the poly-web. This allows the string to have a brighter sound, and it feels very much like an uncoated string. You still get the long life of the strings, you just get a brighter tone.