A first for me- broken string
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-04-25 10:01 AM (#189204)
Subject: A first for me- broken string

Our band had a gig last Thursday night (place called 6th St. Grill here in town, we play there about once a month), I had been sick the last couple of days, fever, sore throat, aches, and had been home from work Thursday. Having rested most of the day I decided the show must go on!
Whew, it was hot and I was sweating and my head was so stuffed up I had a hard time hearing...
In the middle of "Let's Get Together" I broke the A string on my Viper bass! Arrrgghhhhh. I do use a heavy pick and sometimes attack the string to get a nice "twang, pop" kind of sound. I think when it broke I was on a upstroke near the bridge. Other interesting thing, by the end of the night I could barely talk - our drummer thought my singing was some of the best. Guess I was relying more on the amplification and not the vocal chords to belt stuff out!

When I got the Viper I put a new set of strings and that was several months ago. I was thinking about changing them the other day but never got around to it. Any advice on the life of bass strings? Or what type of strings compliment the sound of the Viper?
:(
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-04-25 11:58 AM (#189205 - in reply to #189204)
Subject: Re: A first for me- broken string

So, your voice was raspy and almost gone and it sounded better? Maybe a little grit doesn't hurt. I remember reading a story where it stated that Nat King Cole (a heavy smoker) would smoke very heavily right before performing because he felt it made his voice more throaty and gave it a deeper resonance. No, I'm not recommending this, especially since Nat King Cole died of Cancer.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-25 9:31 PM (#189206 - in reply to #189204)

Gotta say - I've had in the past, a Telecaster bass, a Gibson EB-3, and now a Jazz Bass... never ever once broke a string. In fact, sure I don't get out much, but I've never heard of a bass string goin poof.

String life - for me when they get grungy. The JB is sorta bright anyway, so I roll off the treble a lot with new strings, and less as they get really worn and full of crud. Talk in terms of YEARS here on strings, not months.
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-04-26 4:50 PM (#189207 - in reply to #189204)

Paul,

I recently put a set of flatwounds on my Viper bass. Great sound, but maybe just to my own likes given the way I play. I'm not sure you'll get much twang or pop with the flatwounds, but you will get smooth sultry bottom end. Great if you slide up or down during runs. I think the flatwounds compliment the Viper, which I found to be too bright with the roundwounds that were on it before.

As for string life ... I've never broken an bass string. I don't play any of the basses a whole helluva lot, and I wipe 'em down when I do play them. I change them when they seem to lose tone or start getting a little grungy. Which, thinking about it, is probably at least a year, maybe two?
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-04-27 8:29 PM (#189208 - in reply to #189204)

Guess I better work on my technique!!

I put a new set of D'Addarios SlowWound 2000 Gauge, same ones as were on there - the old ones were v-e-r-y grungy, easy to see right next to the new ones. The last couple of gigs I was sweating a lot - sickly and all the last gig. I use the Viper in our band, I play bass on about half of our set, we rehearse once or twice a week and have gigs two or three times a month, guess I'm using it a lot.

One thing the top string barely fits into the bridge hole, had to scrape off the colored fabric that marks the end - think I'll go to a lighter gauge and see show that sounds.

Thanks for the replies!
Bailey
Posted 2004-04-28 1:57 AM (#189209 - in reply to #189204)

Paul

My son, who plays guitar in a bluegrass band (with me when I was playing), always broke two or three strings in an evenings gig, probably trying to overcome the banjo, or my extra loud mandolin. He managed to break Bass strings when he played bass on some other rock/blues gigs he played with other bands. Totally aggressive!!

You inadvertantly answered your own question when you said you're voice was hurting and others said it sounded good. You let the mike do it's job, LET THE PICKUPS ON THE BASS DO THEIR JOB. Turn up the volume not the attack on the strings.

Bailey
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-04-28 11:04 AM (#189210 - in reply to #189204)

Good advice!!

thanks

:cool:
John B
Posted 2004-04-28 5:25 PM (#189211 - in reply to #189204)

Paul:

I was reading your post the other day and I was trying to remember the last time I had a string break during a performance, when I relized that it was so long ago, I don't even remember. Broken strings are never really an issue for me.

It turns out that I'm playing a gig at a new place last night when the owner comes walking in during my third set. All was going along well when I hear a loud SNAP, which of course was the sound of a string breaking right in the middle of a song. Luckily, I always have 2 guitars with me, so it was no big deal.

I do remember saying to myself "Paul" (like Jerry Sienfeld would say "Newman") :D I think you put the whammy on me.

John
alpep
Posted 2004-04-29 7:45 AM (#189212 - in reply to #189204)

funny my band does not consider it a good rehearsal unless I break at least one string.
cliff
Posted 2004-04-29 8:29 AM (#189213 - in reply to #189204)

I'm kinda' the same way with gigs.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-04-29 8:50 AM (#189214 - in reply to #189204)

The "voice" thing reminded me of a gig that I will never forget. My band in Alaska was hired at the last minute for a huge Holloween party and I had a wicked flu. I had at least a 104 fever, and was wearing an "old man" mask, although I probably didn't need it. But I was sweating, and who knows whatelse in that mask and costume. I only had to sing a couple of songs and one of them was "Best Of My Love" by the eagles. I really didn't like the song, but the chicks did. Well that night was magical. The PA guy had to crank my mic so I could sing through the mask. The Mask covered my ears, so I could hear myself clearly. I had to sing totally from my gut, no cheating on the high notes. Many people didn't even realize it was me under the mask, as I have never sounded that good before that... nor since actually. It was cool to get it right once, but it does reinforce the obvious.

Let the tools do the work for you. A friend of mine has been singing in a well known Heavy Metal band (he hates that title) for at least 25 years. His advise to me once was to never sing any different based on each gig. Don't compensate for not hearing yourself in the monitors, if the monitors don't work, they don't work. They still tour over 100 dates a year, and I think Eric has only missed one gig in all that time. Your voice needs just as much attention as your guitar. It's another instrument made of natural materirals so it's delicate, but it IS an instrument. Take care of it.
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-04-29 9:38 AM (#189215 - in reply to #189204)

John B just by reading my post got you close enough for the whammy! I break guitar strings often, rehearsals, gigs, etc.

We rehearsed last night and the new strings on the Viper Bass make a noticable difference, sounds great!

My throat is still sore, sang quietly into the microphone, sounded good, except I can't hold the notes for very long.
Soon throat will be well, singing with the microphone, new strings on the bass, all is well.