Styx/Frampton/Nelson Tour
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-04-30 11:00 AM (#188828)
Subject: Styx/Frampton/Nelson Tour

Styx and Peter Frampton are touring as a double-headliner, with Nelson being the opening act. James Young of Styx was on the radio today saying that they hired Nelson as the opening act because they have an acoustic show. It sure would be nice if Nelson is playing Ovation guitars. :cool:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2004-04-30 11:22 AM (#188829 - in reply to #188828)
Subject: Re: Styx/Frampton/Nelson Tour

Years ago, when the legal age to drink in NY was 18, I (and other 16 & 17 year olds) used to cross the border up to Greenwood Lake (a large, long lake that straddles NY/NJ & was/is dotted with lakeside bars) to check out the bar/club scene. There used to be a club up there called "T.G.'s" that we used to frequent quite often. We used to go there and for a miniscule cover charge, we'd catch the post-HumblePie days of a young Peter Frampton. The guy kicked AAASSSS on guitar!! At the end of the night, he'd have drinks with us as he loaded his gear into a Chevy Vega station wagon.

Years later, caught him at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ wher it was announced (by (NY deejay Scott Muni) that his "Live" album had just gone platinum (for the first time).

Probably one of the last good shows before Robert Stigwood sucked the life out of him. :rolleyes:

. . . always liked Frampton.
alpep
Posted 2004-04-30 11:47 AM (#188830 - in reply to #188828)

Humble pie ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

weren't the Nelson brothers using givsons?
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-04-30 12:45 PM (#188831 - in reply to #188828)

Frampton still rocks. He stole the show at a Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band show I saw a couple of years ago.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-04-30 2:55 PM (#188832 - in reply to #188828)

I think Frampton is one of the most underrated guitarists around today.

The Nelsons are, of course, Rick Nelson's twin sons.
BruDeV
Posted 2004-04-30 8:05 PM (#188833 - in reply to #188828)

The 'Frampton Comes Alive' remaster is worth getting. It has a number of previously deleted tracks restored.
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-04-30 10:08 PM (#188834 - in reply to #188828)

Cliff
Good Rock story. Scott Muni......what a DJ ahh the joys of FM radio. Interesting Peter Framton never had a hit, Album hit, before "Framton Comes Alive"... Probably the best live album in our time.
Tommy
CharlieB
Posted 2004-05-01 6:43 AM (#188835 - in reply to #188828)

What amazes me about Peter Frampton, is that after the tremendous hit of "FCA" the next album and tour were beyond dismal. I cant remember the album, and I know the tour got cancelled for lack of advance ticket sales. That must REALLY be a sucky feeling to have (for PF I mean).
cliff
Posted 2004-05-01 9:18 AM (#188836 - in reply to #188828)

Prior to "FCA" the title track of the "Something's Happening" album had fair FM success (at least in the NY market). I always liked his first album "Wind of Change" and "Frampton" (which we always referred to as the "black album" - for the cover). The album right after "FCA" was "I'm In You". Horrrrrriddd.
I suspect that management and the label were attempting to put "the goose that laid the golden egg" through the wringer, and it just didn't work.
Their abysmal attempt to cut said goose open was (shuddder) "Sgt. Pepper" - the Movie. What SHITE!!!

Despite the poofy coiff and the peach-coloured jumpsuits, underneath the guy was (IS!) a smokin' guitarist!!! I agree with Craig - very underrated.
I seem to remember he was involved in an interactive guitar instructional DVD package not too long ago. I saw an article in Songwriter magazine a couple months back that gave a tour of his home studio - equally kickass.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-01 2:26 PM (#188837 - in reply to #188828)

Frampto was and still is great! Missed a chance to see him live in the last 6 months. He played the house of Blues in Myrtle Beach! a few of the guys from the Station went and they are still Talking about what a great show it was!
nelson had great vocals and they come from agreat bloodline. would love the chance to hear them as well.